Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Default Re: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Quote Originally Posted by dannyalex View Post
    i read somewhere that in season 3 we will see some flashbacks with aerys and etc,dont know if its lies or not
    The TV producers have ruled out flashbacks. Apparently they considered them, but rejected them for being too confusing and adding too many characters to a show already overloaded with them.

In fact, they did film one flashback scene for Season 1 (in which we see the Mad King Aerys torturing Brandon Stark to death), but it was cut for this reason, as well as time.

My thought is that they will use Bran's weirwood abilities to get around this limitation, and show some 'flashbacks' as visions instead.

I read something very interesting the other day on the westeros forum. GRRM is signed on to do additional work on top of the already existing GOT series. This has to make me wonder since we have been told GOT won't be giving flashbacks in the series are they going to do a new (mini) series? Possibly on Robert's Rebellion. I would expect that to be a major hit to both book loyalists and people who have no idea about the Rebellion. I guess the Dunk and Egg books are a possibility for an adaption but i don't see that translating to the screen quite as well. Anyways should be interesting whatever the case.
    GRRM has expressly ruled out a Robert's Rebellion prequel series. The new deal with HBO has been done to allow them to develop (with other writers with GRRM in a producing capacity only, as on GoT) a DUNK AND EGG project (whether a TV movie or ongoing series is not known at the moment). It also sounds like GRRM will be proposing a TV series based on his TUF VOYAGING space opera series to HBO as well.

Prophet1331's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    GRRM has expressly ruled out a Robert's Rebellion prequel series. The new deal with HBO has been done to allow them to develop (with other writers with GRRM in a producing capacity only, as on GoT) a DUNK AND EGG project (whether a TV movie or ongoing series is not known at the moment). It also sounds like GRRM will be proposing a TV series based on his TUF VOYAGING space opera series to HBO as well.
    I remember reading somewhere that GRRM is working on another Dunk and Egg tale, so it would make sense. He is doing that instead of working on the Winds of Winter, in order to get that new project off the ground.

Ah well, if not Robert's Rebellion than at least some Blackfyre Rebellion elements. It might end up pursuing the Prince that was Promised prophecy considering Summerhall in the books and everything
    Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens. Tywin Lannister

I remember reading somewhere that GRRM is working on another Dunk and Egg tale, so it would make sense. He is doing that instead of working on the Winds of Winter, in order to get that new project off the ground.
    The new Dunk and Egg tale has been put on hold for a while, whilst he concentrates on The Winds of Winter (another couple of chapters of which were previewed at a convention in Boston yesterday).

a fun fact/chart on the actors' heights (not necessarily the book characters too)

jomas's Avatar Miles

I just watched The Thing (2011 remake) and I noticed Tormund Giantsbane is in it, it was really exciting to see him.
    ^Also to the chart above, I guess that makes me Jaime's height, and slightly taller then most of the major characters in ASOIAF.
    Last edited by jomas; February 17, 2013 at 09:07 PM.

i thought robert was over 6 foot as described by cersei on her flashback to their wedding day. could be wrong so dont hold me to that one.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

I can't help but notice the Westerosi are tall for people in a Medieval (ish) world.On the other hand, it's the Lords we see most, and they would be better fed.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    I can't help but notice the Westerosi are tall for people in a Medieval (ish) world.On the other hand, it's the Lords we see most, and they would be better fed.
    Average Height in 15th Century England

A fantastic article published in The Economist in December, 2010 revealed a team of archeologist's findings on human health and height in 15th century England. These archeologists examined a mass grave from a War of the Roses-era battle and determined that the average height of participants was only 4cm shorter than the average height of and Englishman today! That is not much of a difference.

Other researchers suggest that average height did decline during the 17th and 18th centuries, bottoming out at 65.5" (about 5'5.75") at some point in the 18th century. This information comes from studies done on skeletons excavated in northern Europe, not the colonies. Records indicate that the average American soldier during the Revolutionary War was about 2" more than the average height of the British troops of the time.

i thought robert was over 6 foot as described by cersei on her flashback to their wedding day. could be wrong so dont hold me to that one.
    No, you're right. However, the chart is for the TV show and not the books. Mark Addy is - as lots of people grumbled about at the time - a lot shorter than Robert Baratheon is described as being in the books. Even Gregor Clegane is shorter (he's over 7 foot 7 inches in the books, whilst the two actors who've played him have been just over 7 foot).

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    No, you're right. However, the chart is for the TV show and not the books. Mark Addy is - as lots of people grumbled about at the time - a lot shorter than Robert Baratheon is described as being in the books. Even Gregor Clegane is shorter (he's over 7 foot 7 inches in the books, whilst the two actors who've played him have been just over 7 foot).
    Just over 7 foot.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

DELETED SCENES SEASON 2

That second one really makes you hate Doreah. I can see why it is a deleted scene.

SuicidalBrownie's Avatar Civis
    Beautiful city of Utrecht, The Netherlands

hmm , the first one seems to have been made to stop SanSan fans, I guess, and to foreshadow some events in season 3-4.

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

Yes, good that they were deleted, they felt a bit pointless anyway....

ButtSwag's Avatar Decanus

I liked the first one, becuase I really want Sansa to realise what a good person Tyrion is, but I hate the second one. Doreah was meant to be a close friend of Dany, and they ruined that on season 2.

Last edited by Túrin_Turambar; February 20, 2013 at 03:26 AM.

Didn't like the first two too much, but the last two were really good. Conleth Hill makes anything he is in amazing, though Littlefinger was a little too aggressive methinks.

Loras and Margaery were good, could've foreshadowed Blackwater somewhat even.

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by HeirofAlexander View Post
    Didn't like the first two too much, but the last two were really good. Conleth Hill makes anything he is in amazing, though Littlefinger was a little too aggressive methinks.

Loras and Margaery were good, could've foreshadowed Blackwater somewhat even.
    I agree, the interactions between Varys and Littlefinger were always quite sophisticated; littlefinger was way too agressive here.

The Loras and Margaery scene should have been expanded not deleted, Loras actually donning the armor; it was quite unclear in the show that he led the charge in Renly's armor.

ButtSwag's Avatar Decanus

They should have made renly's armour stand out way more, like it did in the books. Instead he wore the same armour as his rainbow guard, whch was almost the same to the normal soldier's armour.

Absolutely in no that scene should not have been included (Loras and Margaery). It was an absolute perfect Chekhov's Army, more so than in the book; Baelish chats it up at Renly's camp, gets friendly with Margaery. Skip ahead 6 weeks when everyone's forgotten all about that.

Lost my ever ing at that scene. I had even accidentally spoiled myself at some point weeks earlier in learning that the Tyrells would join House Lannister. Lost my ever ing regardless. Music broke me down completely.