Page 10 of 305 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560110 ... LastLast

Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Default Re: Winter is Here! Discuss HBO's "Game Of Thrones"[SPOILER HEAVY!]

is it just me, or is there a slightly female looking northern lord at about 40 minutes into this episode?

pity there wasnt one who resembled roose bolton....

I think Roose will come in the second season, as they werent sure yet if they would produce it or not. I wonder... whos gonna play him?

ps, I love Greatjon

Roose must be a nightmare to cast. Not ungly, but not handsome. Not fat, but not thin. Not short, but not tall. Only person I can think of that would suit Bolton is Willem Dafoe, but that is perhaps a little wishful thinking.

Best part of this episode: Kevan's face after Bronn's 'You wouldn't know him' comment to Tywin. Perfect.
    'A sword is not strong until it has been tempered'

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Willem Dafoe would be cool

gotthammer's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    is it just me, or is there a slightly female looking northern lord at about 40 minutes into this episode?
    Probably Maege Mormont.

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer View Post
    Probably Maege Mormont.
    Aye, I thought so too.

And I loved the Greatjon, superbly done! Absolutley loved the scene where Robb stood tall and looked up into his eyes as he towered over him in anger. Can really see how the Greatjon will be Robbs formost champion
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

MagUidir's Avatar Biarchus
    a little bit every where. from Tennessee but now Live in California.

anyone else wish they could be part of the casting crew? i mean you gents may have loved john umber but i expected a bigger deeper voiced man. I also hate how they cram so much into episodes an leave so much out and WHERE THE ARE THE DIREWOLVES half the time? the Direwolves also were poorly cast those dogs look like well DOGS and nothing like wolves! BUt how awesome would it be to be an actor on this show? even if it was a low charactor role. id like to play Podrick Payne but im way older and too big/muscular at 6 foot and 190lbs it would never work! also at first i definately wouldnt have casted the chick that plays osha but she is growing on me. i just wish shed quit kneeling and squating everywhere and put some winterfellish cloths on... they dont pay attention to ey or hair color like they should. but i cant complain too much (too late) because i still think its freaking awesome they even made this show and as much as i complain.... come sunday nights im in front of the tv trying to explain who all these ppl are to my roomate lol

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

for me the best episode is "I hope the wall is high enough".

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by MagUidir View Post
    anyone else wish they could be part of the casting crew? i mean you gents may have loved john umber but i expected a bigger deeper voiced man. I also hate how they cram so much into episodes an leave so much out and WHERE THE ARE THE DIREWOLVES half the time? the Direwolves also were poorly cast those dogs look like well DOGS and nothing like wolves! BUt how awesome would it be to be an actor on this show? even if it was a low charactor role. id like to play Podrick Payne but im way older and too big/muscular at 6 foot and 190lbs it would never work! also at first i definately wouldnt have casted the chick that plays osha but she is growing on me. i just wish shed quit kneeling and squating everywhere and put some winterfellish cloths on... they dont pay attention to ey or hair color like they should. but i cant complain too much (too late) because i still think its freaking awesome they even made this show and as much as i complain.... come sunday nights im in front of the tv trying to explain who all these ppl are to my roomate lol
    I believe Ive read an articel somewhere regarding the wolves. They had two "packs" and had to reshoot some scenes, because at first they got regular wolves which were untrained and totally wild = meaning - they were too scared on the set and had no clue what to do, so they got a second "pack" of malamuts (I believe, not sure though) and they had no proper time to train them. So, the wolf problem is explained. (Ill try googling out the article and post it here, if any success)

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

we can already say what the best part of ep. 9 will be:

HALFMAN!!!HALFMAN!!!

Scene with Syrio Forel covering Arya`s escape was very good, but it was far more brutal from Lannister soldiers point of view in book Syrio was quick and dextrous in fight with guards, he should and had time to grab one of their swords and kill that whitecloak too!!! Too many scenes where i dream/wish to jump in armored and armed to change those that make me sad and angry! Starting with Jory`s death, Littlefingers treason, etc... though some huge cheat was needed to face gold and whitecloaks with Hound and Lannister men-at-arms Those good an honest must suffer it seems

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by alexej View Post
    Scene with Syrio Forel covering Arya`s escape was very good, but it was far more brutal from Lannister soldiers point of view in book Syrio was quick and dextrous in fight with guards, he should and had time to grab one of their swords and kill that whitecloak too!!! Too many scenes where i dream/wish to jump in armored and armed to change those that make me sad and angry! Starting with Jory`s death, Littlefingers treason, etc... though some huge cheat was needed to face gold and whitecloaks with Hound and Lannister men-at-arms Those good an honest must suffer it seems
    He couldn't handle the longswords of the Lannister soldiers, because he isn't trained to fight with such a blade. It's far heavier than the ones Syrio used, not as balanced and probably would put him at a disadvantage.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinary Guardian View Post
    He couldn't handle the longswords of the Lannister soldiers, because he isn't trained to fight with such a blade. It's far heavier than the ones Syrio used, not as balanced and probably would put him at a disadvantage.
    A disadvantage compared to a broken sword?

Yeah they should have done a more hardocre Syrio fight ! With real deaths !
    I espected much more for this scene...

It seems too ridiculous that he put the lannister Ko with the wood sword....

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Well, just imagine you get a heavy blow from a strong stick against your head. And i dont think Syrio put little strengh in it. The helmet doesn't help at all in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by .Doge. View Post
    Well, just imagine you get a heavy blow from a strong stick against your head. And i dont think Syrio put little strengh in it. The helmet doesn't help at all in that case.
    Don't mean to sound nitpicky, but why didn't Syrio simply pick up one of the steel swords dropped by the Lannister guards he K.Oed early ? With a steel sword he would have stood a very good chance against that last tank.

Quote Originally Posted by gapper4 View Post
    Don't mean to sound nitpicky, but why didn't Syrio simply pick up one of the steel swords dropped by the Lannister guards he K.Oed early ? With a steel sword he would have stood a very good chance against that last tank.
    At least in this case the scene stayed relatively faithful to the books, during both book and tv series I was mystified as to why he didn't just pick up one of the Lannister swords.

As someone above mentioned: they were to heavy and big for his fighting technique. Maybe he also wanted to show his superiority, or thought taking their swords was dishonourable.

even if his style is more rapier oriented i bet on that honour too. Its mystery to me why Kingsguard doesn`t use shields, few moderate archers can kill them in seconds i only fight with wooden equipment but shield is allways my best friend. Whole series except Vardis are avoiding use of shield in combat so far, and he used it like untrained squire

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

We haven't seen the Kingsguard in combat situation yet, so, they may not be using shield when on guard duties. Lannister and Stark troops in King's Landing are on guard duty, rather than troops in the field (In Tywin's encampment in the last episode, we got a glimpse of a Lannister shield). As for Ser Vardis, I thought the battle was well done. In the books, it is mentioned that he got tired and such, though I don't know how to use a shield, so, I can't judge the way this was depicted.
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; June 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...