HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Default [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Finally.

to follow the show, visit here:

http://www.hbo.com/#/index.html/eNrj...yMbEAIAIQdFnc=

http://winter-is-coming.net/

http://www.westeros.org/GoT

IMPORTANT:

Many people watching the show haven't read the books yet, so please add [SPOILER ] if you talk about events in the books.

Always Support the Bottom!
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; May 15, 2011 at 09:02 AM.

Default Re: Winter is Here!

It exceeded my high expectations.

Sandor wasn't as scarred as I've always imagined him to be.

If that is the only complaint I have for a series as detailed and intricate as aSoIaF/GoT, then they must've done something right.
    "I doubt you can understand the magnitude of the stupidity in your statement."

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

it was great, they captured almost everything right

I just don't really like the white walker's looks. White walkers are supposed to be white, would have been much scarrier imo.

But that's the only complainment i have.

I too am very very impressed so far. Mostly with the character portrayals. Harry Llyod (Viserys) was the shinning star I thought, although Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has Jaime down aswell (so far).

Sounds wiered but I really liked the opening credits aswell. Really well done.
    'A sword is not strong until it has been tempered'

DAMN EXPENSIVE HBO PACKAGE!!!!!! All I have to say. I can probably buy the season or something once it's over.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Very impressive. Only dothraki wedding is not so wild and scarying as in the book. Jaime is so brave and strait in words and actions - perfect. Bran's look is so thoughtful (his hard fate is written on his person).

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

Agreed, it went above my expectations. Only a few fanboy complaints, but nothing that actually disrupts the fact that the show seems to be awesome. Only hard time for me is trying to picture Mark Addy as a younger, slimmer Robert when he won the throne. I just can't
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

It was pretty good they changed some things and cut some stuff which is to be expected. Not a fan of the white walkers though and i think they screwed up the Dany and Drogo sex scene. It looks too much like he's just going to rape her when in the book he was a lot more sensitive with her and she got into it, kinda changes that character arch a bit.

LOVED IT!!!!
    of course we all have our fanboy complaints but overall it was fantastic. I even found a couple new people at school who saw the premier and might start reading the books.
    -Peter Dinklage rules and he better win an Emmy
    -Jeoffry looks like a little which actually makes me happy
    -Lets be honest, Viserys creeped me out(a good thing) especially with that face he made as dany and drogo rode away (made me feel uncomfortable)
    -Mark Addy is doing a great job
    -Jaime is EPIC!!!
    -Love where they left off on the first episode because you know people will want to find out what happens next
    -The actress who plays Sansa is doing a good job catching her "essence" *cough*spoiledbrat*cough*
    -Love the scene where Arya is in the helmet, she is doing a great job
    -They made Bran look like a NINJA climbing up those walls. Reminded me of Altair in Assassins Creed
    Thumbs up HBO

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

And let's not forget Sean Bean, who in my sense pretty much nailed his character. Although characterwise, I think Jamie and Tyrion are the ones best portrayed so far. Can't wait for the rest!
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

"The things I do for love !!"

Well exept the demember corpses which disapear like "magic", (they must have put dead bodies).

Every thing else is Epic !!

The map at the begining is good too in order to set the geography.

Go HBO go !

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Best casting = Prince Joffrey. Did anybody NOT want to punch him in the face?

I disagree. Frankly hes not tall enough or "handsome" enough
    The actor just looks like whiny little piece of and he is supposed to be very charming and princely until later in the book when it is revealed that he is a giant hole
    But yes I did want to punch him in the face

Kiliç Alì's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

WOW! Awesome!
    Thank you everybody, I forgot the date and I discovered it was out when i read this!

I did not like the prologue, it looked like a cheap zombie film. But the rest was very good, especially Tyrion, Viserys ("sweeeet sister"), Jaime and Arya. "Things I do for love" was the best scene in this episode, I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecTrevelyan006 View Post
    Best casting = Prince Joffrey. Did anybody NOT want to punch him in the face?
    haha I dont think anyone would resist to do that
    Last edited by Jerat; April 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    Jon Arynn dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerat View Post
    I did not like the prologue, it looked like a cheap zombie film.

Yeah, I have to agree the special effects for that scene were not as good as I expected, but luckily we won't have to see the white walkers again for another few seasons probably.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it, there was definitely a good attempt to bring out the personalities of the characters. As others have mentioned, Sean Bean did a particularly good job with Eddard (I'm quite sad he won't be a part of the series longer, but I'm not sure who else he could have played), Viserys was suitably creepy, Tyrion and Jaime were both great, and even Mark Addy did a good job with Robert.
    Last edited by WinsingtonIII; April 19, 2011 at 06:26 PM.

thewolflord's Avatar Civis

I think that they pretty much nailed it. The ONLY thing that they really misinterpreted was the Drogo-Dany sex, because they portrayed Drogo as a pure-muscle a-hole, when in the books the scene is about him showing a gentler side, which creates more depth of character.

Either way, still madly looking forward to the rest of the season! WINTER IS HERE!

On second-viewing the Dany-Drogo thing didn't bother me nearly as much as the first time...there's some tenderness from him and I suspect we'll also see some early in the next episode to make it clear that it wasn't a pure violent thing...