Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

smthhappy's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Winter is Here! Discuss HBO's "Game Of Thrones"[SPOILER HEAVY!]

I did.Why ?

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

just so, cause i didnt

I didnt want to have a week long break in between episodes so I'm just gonna watch it next week

smthhappy's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    just so, cause i didnt
    well if you aren't a lannister fan you didn't missed a lot

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

The lack of wolves is really starting to cock me off now.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    The lack of wolves is really starting to cock me off now.
    Yeah, me too. Wolves play a very important role in the storyline of ASoIaF, especially two of them (not gonna spoil, however it's obvious to which wolves I refer) and we've barely seen them. Moreover, I don't understand why the dispute between Jaime and Ned was changed so drastically from the books. I mean was it really necessary? Especially considering how stressful and well written was that scene in the books. As for Loras and Renly, there were lots of hints throughout the books (Loras being the Flower Knight? Really?)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    however Cersei also implied that Loras may also have bed his sister, and though you can't really trust this since Cersei wants Margaery out of her way, it may contain more truth than we believe...
    but I didn't really like that the gay relationship between Renly and Loras was displayed so blatantly, to be honest.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

So far I am really enjoying the series except for two small problems.
    1- I am really missing some of those awesome 1 liners that I feel could have been slipped in easily.
    Edit: Like when sansa says joffrey is nothing like robert and Ned says Out of the mouth's of babes. I liked that line
    2- Somethings I wish they would explain a little bit more even if its just a simple 1 line explanation. For instance in the most recent episode when dany is eating the heart of a stallion it seemed like some dark magic ritual with creepy chanting. I feel it could have been more clear what was happening if Jorah had just said something about it being related to the baby and if she ate the whole thing the baby would be a boy and a strong warrior. Bam, thats it and it would make the scene easier to understand.
    Apart from that I am LOVING the series. Partly because I have been making my friends read the series my personal mission and since the series came out more of my friends have gone and checked out the books from the library
    All hail GRRM!!!
    Last edited by Jaime Goldenhand; May 24, 2011 at 04:01 PM.

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Goldenhand View Post
    So far I am really enjoying the series except for two small problems.
    1- I am really missing some of those awesome 1 liners that I feel could have been slipped in easily.
    2- Somethings I wish they would explain a little bit more even if its just a simple 1 line explanation. For instance in the most recent episode when dany is eating the heart of a stallion it seemed like some dark magic ritual with creepy chanting. I feel it could have been more clear what was happening if Jorah had just said something about it being related to the baby and if she ate the whole thing the baby would be a boy and a strong warrior. Bam, thats it and it would make the scene easier to understand.
    Apart from that I am LOVING the series. Partly because I have been making my friends read the series my personal mission and since the series came out more of my friends have gone and checked out the books from the library
    All hail GRRM!!!
    Spread the faith!

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Episode 7

Visereys's Smile. I read the books, I have already preordered the Dance with Dragons. And DAMN the throne room scene still hit me hard.
    Forward, march!

I've just started to read the first book (so I don't know that much about this rich world) but after watching 7 episodes I get the filling that Stark's troops are being butchered in every possible scene. Is this true for the books as well?
    On release Quote:
    “Empire: Total War has exceeded all our expectations. It's one of those rare "great works" that the team will remember with enormous pride for the rest of their lives, and the public will remember as one of the landmark games of the decade”
    Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly
    Oct 9 '09 Quote:
    "I had 6 copies of Empire: Total War sat on my shelf intended for close gamer friends that I didn’t send out because I was too embarrassed about the flaws."

Up to this point in the series I think the only deaths were when Jaime attacked Ned. For the starks atleast

This plus the end scene from episode 7. I mean, c' mon!!! I hope that in the future they will do better than that.
    On release Quote:
    “Empire: Total War has exceeded all our expectations. It's one of those rare "great works" that the team will remember with enormous pride for the rest of their lives, and the public will remember as one of the landmark games of the decade”
    Oct 9 '09 Quote:
    "I had 6 copies of Empire: Total War sat on my shelf intended for close gamer friends that I didn’t send out because I was too embarrassed about the flaws."

Ah yes i forgot some people watched episode 7 early, i didn't cuz i didn't want to go a week without GoT >_<, but yea I know it appears that way but
    things start bad for starks then get better and then really awesome and then really really really really bad. But that is a couple books away. This season will leave the Starks in a good position

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Thrawn View Post
    This plus the end scene from episode 7. I mean, c' mon!!! I hope that in the future they will do better than that.
    They will.
    I'm looking foward to episode 7, i'm not going to watch it until sunday.

Good...thanks and now going back to the first book
    On release Quote:
    Oct 9 '09 Quote:

I haven't read the books and I have been thinking- does Ned Stark have in the books dark hair? Sean Beam has light hair, but it seems that they are making his hair dirtier so it would look darker.
    Proud Tsardoms: Total war Concept Artist.

Best of my work for Tsardoms: TW [link]
    thinkerman.deviantart.com/

Yea the "stark" look includes black hair. I was kinda upset that they didn't show that

My only complaint with the show is that some characters don't seem to be as fleshed out as in the books. I realize in a show they want it to be rather accessible and focus on only a few characters, but I don't remember them giving us much backstory to Barristan the Bold. Theon's talk with Robb in the Wolfswood wasn't too bad, but he is lacking a bit as well, and Bronn could be fleshed out a bit more also.

Just my two cents.

Otherwise, I'm loving the show. It's been rather faithful to the books, which keeps a fan like myself happy.

I have to agree with the lack of wolves. It's a bit miffing. I kind of want to see more of them.
    As for characters not being fleshed out enough - that is true, but the show does take some interesting view points when you consider what was missing from our knowledge in the books, ie. Jaime has feeling in the first season, even though he's a ---- in book 1, and then there's the Loras/Renly thing, and so on...

I'm quite impressed with the all of the actors that they've chosen to play each part. Every single actor just nails each character he plays. I've read all the books and the writers have fleshed out each character as much as they can given the constraints of each hourly episode.

Tywin Lannister, Vicerys, King Robert, Joffrey, Jon Snow, Kal Drogo, Littlefinger, the list goes on with each character who is played so well.

This is one of the few shows in which my only disappointment is when each episode ends leaving me with wanting more.

GRRM had said long ago that he believed his books were 'unfilmable'. Great kudos to HBO and their team of writers and directors who've done a magnificent job.

Game of Thrones has been renewed for a second season .
    If they continue the plan of each book gets a new season {Clash of Kings--2012, Storm of Swords--2013, Feast for Crows--2014, Dance with Dragons--2015} then GRRM will need to get 'The Winds of Winter' out sooner than six years since FfC and DwD.

Hip Hip Horray for HBO