Thread: I suck at this game

Default I suck at this game

I was pretty good with RTW. But i suck at BI. I did play a successful Saxon campaign but all my other campaigns went to hell.

WRE - tried 5 times, never got to get it going well.
    ERE - played once, changed everyone to Christianity, everyone revolted and i lost my last few settlements to Sassanids (it might of gone well if i hadnt changed religion).
    Sassanids - Couldnt beat EREs armies.
    Vandals - Successfully took Rome, the southern Italian state and scilly but couldnt make any money and i gradually lost due to no money.

Currently playing R-B with my own moddified game - Its going ok i have all of the british isles (thats England (which includes future Wales) Scotland and Ireland so i destroyed the celts. Im just focusing on my economy and its not easy. Im consistently having to make new buildings (farms, markets etc) so my towns are making money. Im using peasants as my garrisons so have no proper army except for one which was reduced to almost nothing when i beat the invading Saxons so i cant invade the rest of europe.

So its mainly money that im not good with. Is it just me or was Rome a lot more easier to make money?

Im aiming to try and take over the whole of the map. Even if it takes a lot of time thats what i'd like to successfully do.
    Also how does the AI armies play? They always seem to have lots of big armies and an average economy.

Got any help you can give me?

Shadows's Avatar Lurking unseen...........

What difficulty are you playing on? Might I suggest you bump it down a little? Its a shame we dont have any strategy articles written for BI, we had a good number of them for Rome. Other than bumping down your difficulty I can't think of any thing else you could do besides keep trying different approaches. Hopefully that way you can find one way that works for you all the time. Unless you want to cheat that is, or mod it the give you more starting money or something like that.
    IN PATROCINUVM SVB Virgil (aka 1hHoplite) (1hHoplite's Chaos of Battle Picture Thread)
    Brother to the chivalrous lord, The White Knight, the Evil Einstein of the East, darkragnar and mi nuevo hermano, Ramon Gonzales y Garcia.
    Winner of the Second General Trivia Competition

For wre....gotta take units out of the areas where there is gonna be a revolt and exterminate like crazy,some religion buildings are causing the discontent destroy them!.Disband all horsemen and ships,romans dont need those things!Disband some of the units in rome you dont need em.Last time i checked my wre camp i was making 8 or more k per turn with 3 or more legions
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

A note on the conversion of religion for the ERE. I usually make all my cities Christian because most of the angry cities are dominantly Christian with Pagan buildings. (The cities are Crete, Cyrene, Ancrya, Caesarea, and the one in the East whose name looks like Philadelphia IIRC) I do not see how you can lose any settlements to rebellion as the ERE. Lower the taxes and increase the game rate for some cities so that none revolt. That way you can focus on the Sassanids/Hordes.

"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." -Albert Einstein
    "All these places have their moments, with lovers and friends, I still can recall. Some are dead and some are living, in my life, I've loved them all." -The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator of rome
    For wre....gotta take units out of the areas where there is gonna be a revolt and exterminate like crazy,some religion buildings are causing the discontent destroy them!.Disband all horsemen and ships,romans dont need those things!Disband some of the units in rome you dont need em.Last time i checked my wre camp i was making 8 or more k per turn with 3 or more legions
    By "gotta take units out of the areas where there is gonna be a revolt and exterminate like crazy" do you mean i should take the units out of the town, let it revolt and then take it back and exterminate populace?

yep,overpopulation is plaguing the wre,gotta exterminate.Also if you are going for christinity,put church buildings in rome and wait for the pope to appear on one of your generals.Then slowly garrison towns and convert them. Try to do this and delay the hordes someway.I can usually defeat hordes with comitatenses and auxilia palatae later

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748

As for Ere...seems easy to me,lol im playing attilas mod and beating down the sassanids

Even tho it will take a long time, make sure you place sufficient defense at carthage, it's a big money maker, I remember leaving next to nothing there and I lost africa
    Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory inspired by Archer
    How much will I pay to sit in front of a TV and chase polygons?

Quote Originally Posted by Gogoas
    Even tho it will take a long time, make sure you place sufficient defense at carthage, it's a big money maker, I remember leaving next to nothing there and I lost africa
    At least leave carthage as a foothold to reinvade africa just in case you lose any lands to ere rebels or berbers

At least leave carthage as a foothold to reinvade africa just in case you lose any lands to ere rebels or berbers
    Which, of course, the WRE AI usually fails to do. I learned so because I played as the Bebers. Spain + Western Africa for me in about 15-20 turns.

"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." -Albert Einstein
    "All these places have their moments, with lovers and friends, I still can recall. Some are dead and some are living, in my life, I've loved them all." -The Beatles

Lol of course the ai is gonna crash and burn,ermm and are the berbers interesting....their units doesnt seem that fun to use.

ya they do suck, but if your defending a city with 2 limitaie things got a little too tricky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory inspired by Archer
    How much will I pay to sit in front of a TV and chase polygons?

Lol of course the ai is gonna crash and burn,ermm and are the berbers interesting....their units doesnt seem that fun to use.
    Ironic as it is, the Bebers have got quite the variety of units, and some do pack a punch.

The models look terrible but the berbers are decent..at launching 1000-2000armies at you

Thier individual units suck one on one when compared to anyone else's in the game. But all thier units are at least unique with green face paint so they do get style points in my book. They are the only faction I have tried to play as besides the saxons and the Sassanids.
    Life is an STD with a 100 percent fatality rate.

Lol i remember someone talking about sassanids being gay because they have pink as their color....really come on ca when the eastern romans see the sassanid army they are gonna die from laughing then fighting.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Lol i remember someone talking about sassanids being gay because they have pink as their color....really come on ca when the eastern romans see the sassanid army they are gonna die from laughing then fighting.
    The sassanids have this really annoyingly bright blue-green color that can blind you, I swear...

Quote Originally Posted by shadowarmy75
    Pink is not gay, it's pimpin.
    my opinion but pink is gay as hell

Surely the Sassanids are blue?
    It was the Parthians that were gay pink I think...