Thread: Naval Battles

ninja51's Avatar Biarchus

Default Naval Battles

Ive noticed that naval battles in this mod are really kinda odd. Ive got a few questions and comments id love to hear some feedback on.

Does the stronger moral effects mod affect the naval battles? I think without it is the best balance for land battles, units generally route realisticly. They dont break and run untill they get a few bullets in them and taking out the enemy general is paramount, adding a nice goal before you can expect to roll the entire battle line with cavalry after a bit of fireing back and forth. But in naval battles the biggest problem I have is with the moral. Getting a ship to surrender before it sinks, is well, damn near impossible.

In a recent battle I vastly outnumbered and outgunned a small Portugese fleet, even with bomb ketches blasting, many many bow and stern direct shots, and sails torn to shreads, I had to sink 3 ships and the 2 left tried to ight on with almost every stat in the red before they surrendered. It seems very unrealistic, them not surrendering when they are battered down, have no escape, and vastly outgunned is a huge annoyance and it focuses your attention more on it.

Also ive noticed all the guns fire the exact same distance. Bomb Ketches are pretty pointless in that aspect. To be close enough to shoot you can get shot back unless you can manage to get behind them, which in bigger naval battles is terribly hard to do. With their tendancy to blow up when hit they arnt worth the coins they cost. Cannons have different ranges on land depending on their caliber and I do believe they were using essentially the same cannons on ships so why would every ship have universally 700 range? I dont think there should be a massive range differance, but a motar can shoot further than a typical cannon coming out of the side of a ship.

A smaller thought I have is making the speed differance between ships a bit more noticeable. Ships of the line dont move terribly slower than a brig at the moment so why even bother with the smaller guys. A balanced fighting force for those with great micromanaging skills should be able to be hugely effective against a force consisting of nothing but big ships of the line. Yet currently trying to stay out of their utterly destructive fireing range is pretty dang hard. It makes all smaller ships redundant and useless once you can build 122 guns.

Love the mod, thats just my two cents

Default Re: Naval Battles

Also.. Land military tecnology affects marines too?

Quote Originally Posted by ninja51 View Post

Also ive noticed all the guns fire the exact same distance. Bomb Ketches are pretty pointless in that aspect. To be close enough to shoot you can get shot back unless you can manage to get behind them, which in bigger naval battles is terribly hard to do. With their tendancy to blow up when hit they arnt worth the coins they cost. Cannons have different ranges on land depending on their caliber and I do believe they were using essentially the same cannons on ships so why would every ship have universally 700 range? I dont think there should be a massive range differance, but a motar can shoot further than a typical cannon coming out of the side of a ship.
    I played the mod with the guns ranges diferentiation and I can say it is much better now. I remember that the hole broadside would fire on max range (among other AI related issues)

IMO bomb ketches and rocket ships should be out of the game...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It is very hard to score a hit with a indirect fire weapon (even worse around 1800) without adjusting your aim based on the previous round fired ... and I think it is probably impossible when you are using a XVIII century SIEGE WEAPON that will move by every round fired..... disregarding the fact that you are shooting a very big moving target in the middle of the ocean with no reference points that I can remember

Just me thinking....

Use chain shot with smaller ships. In TROM2 chain shot has the same range as everything else and is rather usefull to slow ships down. The moral in TROM2 is high because I found it too easy to capture ships (you still will capture more then enough).

I do use chain shot. I understand the arguement that in vanilla it may be too easy to capture ships, but in this mod its unrealisticly hard. I tear down all masts, I sink (forced to sink) the admiral, blast them to bits with 122 guns, and they still wont surrender. Naval battles are to the death, to the point where your almost laughing at how instistant on keeping in the fight the little sloop is even after their fleets utterly destroyed. Chain shot being the same range is fine, I never understood why using it gave a huge hit on range, as if it weighed huge amounts more than a regular shot. Im saying, all the ships range being the same is annoying. When a ship of the line shoots as far as any other ship, with moral being so high sinking is the only option, the smaller ships arent worth even not scuppering once you can build 122 guns. Even if this rendition of how naval battles should be were realistic (which it isnt in a number of ways) the gameplay is so broken and annoyingly silly I take my chances with auto resolve as often as I can, knowing ill loose ships and generally end up incredibly worse off than if I fought the battle. This mods land side of things is incredible, one of the best. Naval battles are essentially broken im afraid though

Cmon, broken are things that don't work, but it's working as intended. I played enough naval battles with England in my British campaign and ships do rout and surrender. I lost a big battle againts Spain because I got some of my ships of the line isolated and surrounded. Small ships will often get destroyed by a few volleys. If you want to caputure them use grapeshot. Get the PFM and open unit_stats_naval and subtract some moral from ships. This takes you less then 5 minutes.

It wont let me, the application crashes everytime I try to open unit stats naval in the TROM core, strangley it opens other parts of the pack though. With the exception of Mount and Blade, im at the minor personal tweaking. I guess broken isnt the best way to describe naval battles but I wouldnt say they're working realisticly or the best way for gameplay. For me, ships fight to the grave far too often and with such gusto its rediculous. I do capture a few ships, they do route, the problem is it just happens when another broadside would litteraly cause them to sink. I know how to capture ships, how to crush their moral, problem is it just doesnt happen. All the ships ranges being the same is odd and moral is hilariously too high. Without a detailed walkthrough and my PFM not crashing, I cant edit it myself, im just not skilled at it. Even then, its a temporary fix for a problem. And I really do have to keep saying this I feel like, but the mod is great, truely wonderful, but the naval battles are a problem that needs a real fix

Gotta say I'm with Ninja on this one. I won't call it "broken" as that's a very subjective choice of words in this case.

For me, the fun in naval battles is with the occasional capture of a nice prize ship to add to my fleet. In TROM, that's pretty much impossible. In all the naval battles I fought I notice that enemy ships only surrender when they're either sinking or when they are within a few minutes of surrender ablaze. Tweaking their stubborness a bit wouldn't hurt IMHO.
    Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion

Silius Saurus's Avatar Biarchus

I say ban the rocket ships, bomb ketches and DEFINITELY the steam ships. Viable steam warships didn't come about until the ACW. In Napoleonic terms, it's a fantasy weapon.
    "If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly". -- Nick Lappos

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

I fully agree with Silius. Steam powered ships are not in TROM2 are they? Please remove them!

Bomb ketches and rocket ships were designed purely for bombarding enemy ports and fortifications. Since such combats are abstracted in the game the bombs and rockets should be deleted. Please.

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

Sorry, double post but I have some more feedback/input/suggestions to make on the naval battles.

I've been a naval wargamer for more years than I want to think about with the 18th century always being my favourite. Now I'm aware there's a lot that can't be fixed in the naval battles of NTW but here's a few comments and some ideas.

1) Ships still turn much too fast and easily. 1 on 1 battles between frigates always just go round and round in a circling dance of death. Its a bit (well a lot) silly. Can the turning rates be toned RIGHT down to much slower ones so that you have to place your ship tactically and sailing skill makes a bigger difference?

2) Ships still pivot on the spot. I've seen it happening even in this fine mod. Is it possible to stop that behaviour?

3) I've seen square rigged ships sailing DIRECTLY into the wind. And quite fast. Agh! Is there a way to fix a quadrant of the compass facing about 45deg off the wind to each side that makes a square rigger impossible to sail in that direction? 45degrees off the wind (4 points) was extremely slow work with a square rigger, even with jibsails and spankers. A fully fore-aft rigged ship such as a Xebec might be allowed to sail within 35deg of the wind.

4) I've seen the AI simply find a nice shooting position and come to a stop. Can the AI be worked on to prevent this?

5) Guns reload and fire too quickly. Can the reload times be extended please?

6) Is there any way to give an indication of a ships compass heading and speed in the battles? Without such info I feel like a fish out of water? Could the compas rose in the sky or beneath the ship have some more degrees marked on it?

7) Why, when you change course does the game usually lower your sail setting? Can this behaviour be fixed?

8) I know that in the vanilla game early on ships stopped when their last waypoint was reached. Has that behaviour been overcome? Its really disconcerting to have a ship simply stop in the water when you haven't told it to.

9) I had a ship disabled in a game yesterday and its unit card vanished off my ship card screen and teh vessel simply sat still on the water heavily damaged. What is going on when this happens? Has the ship surendered? Is it possible to have teh national colour removed when that hapens? Shouldn't an enemy ship be required to come alongside and secure the prize rather than sailing off to continue the battle?

10) The finite edge of the map is annoying. With a faster ship such as a small frigate vs a line of SOLs you can simply sail around in circles until the hour is up. Its pretty dumb. Can the map be extended, or can such a tactic result in defeat rather than victory? Or then again, could it be worked so that a force of slower ships that engage a force of faster ones simply can't bring them to battle and no battle results?

There you go, lots of questions and suggestions. Thanks for reading. None of them reflect on your fine modding work, Yarkis, only on the rather weird vanilla game.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletank View Post
    Sorry, double post but I have some more feedback/input/suggestions to make on the naval battles.

I've been a naval wargamer for more years than I want to think about with the 18th century always being my favourite. Now I'm aware there's a lot that can't be fixed in the naval battles of NTW but here's a few comments and some ideas.

1) Ships still turn much too fast and easily. 1 on 1 battles between frigates always just go round and round in a circling dance of death. Its a bit (well a lot) silly. Can the turning rates be toned RIGHT down to much slower ones so that you have to place your ship tactically and sailing skill makes a bigger difference?
    Could be done., but I am not shure if it's good for the AI. The AI tends to run it's own ships into each other and witha slow turning rate they may have even more difficulties to get free.

2) Ships still pivot on the spot. I've seen it happening even in this fine mod. Is it possible to stop that behaviour?
    I don't think so.

3) I've seen square rigged ships sailing DIRECTLY into the wind. And quite fast. Agh! Is there a way to fix a quadrant of the compass facing about 45deg off the wind to each side that makes a square rigger impossible to sail in that direction? 45degrees off the wind (4 points) was extremely slow work with a square rigger, even with jibsails and spankers. A fully fore-aft rigged ship such as a Xebec might be allowed to sail within 35deg of the wind.
    I think its possible. If somebody want to do it, be my guest.

4) I've seen the AI simply find a nice shooting position and come to a stop. Can the AI be worked on to prevent this?
    No.

5) Guns reload and fire too quickly. Can the reload times be extended please?
    Ship combat is already very slow.

6) Is there any way to give an indication of a ships compass heading and speed in the battles? Without such info I feel like a fish out of water? Could the compas rose in the sky or beneath the ship have some more degrees marked on it?
    No idea.

7) Why, when you change course does the game usually lower your sail setting? Can this behaviour be fixed?
    I don't think so.

8) I know that in the vanilla game early on ships stopped when their last waypoint was reached. Has that behaviour been overcome? Its really disconcerting to have a ship simply stop in the water when you haven't told it to.
    No idea. Tets it yourself.

9) I had a ship disabled in a game yesterday and its unit card vanished off my ship card screen and teh vessel simply sat still on the water heavily damaged. What is going on when this happens? Has the ship surendered? Is it possible to have teh national colour removed when that hapens? Shouldn't an enemy ship be required to come alongside and secure the prize rather than sailing off to continue the battle?
    If it does not sink it has surrendered.

10) The finite edge of the map is annoying. With a faster ship such as a small frigate vs a line of SOLs you can simply sail around in circles until the hour is up. Its pretty dumb. Can the map be extended, or can such a tactic result in defeat rather than victory? Or then again, could it be worked so that a force of slower ships that engage a force of faster ones simply can't bring them to battle and no battle results?
    Maybe, no and no.

There you go, lots of questions and suggestions. Thanks for reading. None of them reflect on your fine modding work, Yarkis, only on the rather weird vanilla game.
    You should probably post your questions in the general mod forum. I am not an expert in moding ships. Currently I have no intentions to make changes to ship combat in TROM2, but if anybody want's to make a submod and it works out fine, I am open for it. The only thing I don't want is even ,pre time consuming naval battles.

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

This addresses a number of the really broken and daft things about the vanilla naval combat.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=362567

Would you be interested in incorpoorating this into TROM2?

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletank View Post
    This addresses a number of the really broken and daft things about the vanilla naval combat.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=362567

Would you be interested in incorpoorating this into TROM2?
    Try it out. It should work with TROM2. Just put it on top on the list.

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

It does work. Brilliantly. Thanks.

EDIT: The only fault is that it duplicates the ships building roster and the Grand Fleet ship icons have no building limits, so the TROM2 limit (for example) of 4 sloops and 4 brigs is now overridden. Some ship costs are different too. Other than that, and in the actual gameplay areas it works extremely well.
    Last edited by Saddletank; September 01, 2011 at 12:16 PM.

LawL_LawL's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by ninja51 View Post
    Cannons have different ranges on land depending on their caliber and I do believe they were using essentially the same cannons on ships so why would every ship have universally 700 range? I dont think there should be a massive range differance, but a motar can shoot further than a typical cannon coming out of the side of a ship.

Cannons, imo, should have a universal range, and theres much to support this. Starting with the fact that Napoleonic artillery was always limited by sight, and a general range band where shots would simply lose all appreciable energy. If you think the increased caliber was a free ticket to longer range, I suggest reading more on projectile physics in conjunction with Napoleonic artillery. The increased caliber, generally measured in weight of shot, means a larger round is being fired, the gun itself is generally larger as well, and can accomodate an incrementally larger propellant charge. Any increase in projectile propulsion would be negated by increased size of shot. To actually increase the range of your weapon you would need to take a cannon that is large enough to be judged to fire a heavy projectile, but bored to fire a smaller projectile, then loaded with a greater propellant charge, along with a comparatively light shot for the size of the gun. That being said, simply adding more gunpowder to a standard cannon, whilst using a shot of the same weight is not recommended as the greater strain on the barrel is hazardous in an age where weapons are not manufactured to very high standards. Furthermore, regarding Mortars, as previously said, they were not battlefield weapons, both naval and land warfare. They were only ever employed in sieges, wether by the defender or attacker, and were uselessly inaccurate for point fire on mobile targets.

A smaller thought I have is making the speed differance between ships a bit more noticeable. Ships of the line dont move terribly slower than a brig at the moment so why even bother with the smaller guys. A balanced fighting force for those with great micromanaging skills should be able to be hugely effective against a force consisting of nothing but big ships of the line. Yet currently trying to stay out of their utterly destructive fireing range is pretty dang hard. It makes all smaller ships redundant and useless once you can build 122 guns.

Im pretty sure historically, navies taking to the field in numbers only ever fielded Ships of the Line and large frigates (for fleet actions that is, obviously smaller vessels would have acted as support craft and scouts) The obvious reason being, in reality, when faced with a vessel that has 4-5 times your number of guns, likely exponentially larger weight of shot, hundreds upon hundreds more men in crew, and a hull that is literally nearly impossible to damage with your pea-shooter like guns, your best option is to turn tail and flee behind your own big ships. Thus naval power has, and always will be, focused on a "primary" class of ship, which dominates the seas. Though to accurately reflect naval warfare and the power large ships entitled, there should also be immense economic strains to maintain such large ships. Provided this is in place, there should be no reason why one would argue the building of a 122 gun ship is a better choice than a Brig, especially when the tasks you expect such a ship to undertake are only limited to blockading unguarded ports or raiding trade nodes.

Love the mod, thats just my two cents
    I love the mod as well, and Ive given you my two cents.