Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Clan Colours - update to HERO EDITION released! Noif's submod still available

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Alternative Clan Colours - updated to version 12b, now including new banners

Tell me if you think some change is needed in the banner mod, good people. But I plan to reduce somewhat the blinding white of some flags not covered in its first edition.

@DaVinci - I must admit that I find a certain satisfaction in having been able to offer you something in the way of interesting TW mods for a change. I remember having used your work ever since Chivalry II: The Sicilian Vespers for M2TW! Rest assured, I'll be working on this project. Next ACC will be called 16c.

Yes, it really is a shame that we can't use the Unit Variety Mod alongside the Less Glossy Units Mod. The one adds realism in equipment, the other in the units looking like warriors and not merely game figures. I think Ftmch once said something about wanting to combine the two in one of his works, but he seems busy doing something else at the moment. No-one else seems capable and willing to do it ATM. So I guess we'll have to wait a while for the best show to present itself...unless someone reading this takes up the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    There's a space which is actually a tab in the first line. Porphyr mentioned it when he posted the information in the PFM thread, maybe I forgot to note that Or possibly an encoding issue with the text editor? I use Notepad++ and encoding is UTF-8 (no BOM).
    I see. Well, it did not stop me from getting a banner mod started, because the critical advice was how the colours were coded (reversed order compared to the colours for the units). That was all I needed. Thanks again for this tip, mate.
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 21, 2011 at 06:43 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Alternative Clan Colours - updated to version 12b, now including new banners

Yes, it really is a shame that we can't use the Unit Variety Mod alongside the Less Glossy Units Mod.
    Look at the Unit Variety thread, Wind "fixed" Hedges v1 and combined it with Less Glossy mod. Already tested, works flawless as far as i can judge, the hands bug is not present there

If you prefer/like realism and flavour to some extent without the goal to have historical accuracy by all means, then try S2R or S2R+ for a playtest. In the latter one i have also adressed now all inf and cav unit names for a flavour increase (english/english-japanese mixes are gone, only japanese now).
    Last edited by DaVinci; April 21, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Awesome work Demokritos! Is it possible to make the campaign maps banners match your new ones? This is the only thing still bothering me.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Look at the Unit Variety thread, Wind "fixed" Hedges v1 and combined it with Less Glossy mod. Already tested, works flawless as far as i can judge, the hands bug is not present there
    Really? I'll have to take a look at that! Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    If you prefer/like realism and flavour to some extent without the goal to have historical accuracy by all means, then try S2R or S2R+ for a playtest. In the latter one i have also adressed now all inf and cav unit names for a flavour increase (english/english-japanese mixes are gone, only japanese now).
    I've already spotted and tested S2R of course! Really liked the changes and I'll be using that mod (or S2R+) for my campaigns for sure. But after a short tryout with S2R 3.0, I have not played the game because I felt I needed to do this ACC thing first.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlbc23 View Post
    Awesome work Demokritos! Is it possible to make the campaign maps banners match your new ones? This is the only thing still bothering me.
    Thanks for the feedback, jason.
    It should be possible to match the campaign map banners with the new battle flags, but I haven't started to look at the Q how this is done yet. My priorities right now are ACC first, battle flags next (or alongside), and then we'll see where I go.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

kommandant's Avatar Civis

amazing mod

i love the way my units look, especially my Takeda Clan

Quote Originally Posted by kommandant View Post
    amazing mod

i love the way my units look, especially my Takeda Clan
    I'm pleased to hear that, kommandant. It took a long time getting the hue for the blue clothing of the Takeda clan to look "right" together with that red armor.

love the new colors u added but i had to get rid of the banner sry i just didnt like date mon.

Quote Originally Posted by forcerecon569 View Post
    love the new colors u added but i had to get rid of the banner sry i just didnt like date mon.
    Well, it's their historical mon (emblem), so you can't get a better flag for them in this respect, and it seems they're most often depicted on respectable sites with white backgrounds on their banners. But artistically, I agree, I'd like a bit more colour on their sashimonos etc....

And
    I just picked up the info from a source that appeared knowledgable that the Date used "black armor with indigo blue cloth and banners". I'll set the Date to look accordingly in the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Well, it's their historical mon (emblem), so you can't get a better flag for them in this respect, and it seems they're most often depicted on respectable sites with white backgrounds on their banners. But artistically, I agree, I'd like a bit more colour on their sashimonos etc....

And
    I just picked up the info from a source that appeared knowledgable that the Date used "black armor with indigo blue cloth and banners". I'll set the Date to look accordingly in the next update.
    the reason i said that was because if they wore black and blue y is their mon white and black i just confused me

the reason i said that was because if they wore black and blue y is their mon white and black i just confused me
    "Mon" means clan crest or emblem, not the banner as a whole (upon which the mon is often printed). The armies of the Sengoku period often carried banners in colours completely different than the armor or clothing they wore. And they carried more than one type of banner on the field.

For the Date banner, I followed the black mon on white background idea from both Danborg a.k.a. TomteOfDoom, who's very knowledgeable about this period in Japanese history, and the image shown in the OP regarding my sources for the Date, which I found on a site covering Japanese heraldry. You may want to take a look at that image again. As far as I can tell, it depicts a Date army on the move, carrying lots of different banners. As you can see, more than one type of mon and low in the middle of the pic, there's even one with Date's "principal" clan mon in white on black background.

Other pics from the same dedicated source suggests that four different colours could represent the Date: white, black, indigo blue and yellow (gold). I'll work something out with these options.

Whatever I come up with in the end, no-one is faced with an "accept all or nothing" situation regarding my mods. You can always edit them to revert back to vanilla or some other choice using PFM. I'll add instructions about how to do that at the end of post #3 later, as I keep getting requests about some change or other to my mods.
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 23, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Great banner mod +rep mate

"Mon" means clan crest or emblem, not the banner as a whole (upon which the mon is often printed). The armies of the Sengoku period often carried banners in colours completely different than the armor or clothing they wore. And they carried more than one type of banner on the field.

For the Date banner, I followed the black mon on white background idea from both Danborg a.k.a. TomteOfDoom, who's very knowledgeable about this period in Japanese history, and the image shown in the OP regarding my sources for the Date, which I found on a site covering Japanese heraldry. You may want to take a look at that image again. As far as I can tell, it depicts a Date army on the move, carrying lots of different banners. As you can see, more than one type of mon and low in the middle of the pic, there's even one with Date's "principal" clan mon in white on black background.

Other pics from the same dedicated source suggests that four different colours could represent the Date: white, black, indigo blue and yellow (gold). I'll work something out with these options.

Whatever I come up with in the end, no-one is faced with an "accept all or nothing" situation regarding my mods. You can always edit them to revert back to vanilla or some other choice using PFM. I'll add instructions about how to do that at the end of post #3 later, as I keep getting requests about some change or other to my mods.
    ahh i see. btw if you need any help my mom is a web designer and i think she does banners so i can get help from her u need help because from what i heard you can add the mon/igsinia onto their armor. I think i know how to.
    oh btw thx for the help so far i made the date armor blue armor and white clothes and black details.and takeda red and black.

oh and May i use your colors for my mod since they are realistic becuase my mod is based on that period like armies are mostly ashigaru. i will give you credit but i mat edit the shimaztu and date.. the date because you cant really see the blue but other than that the colors are great.!!!
    Last edited by forcerecon569; April 23, 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Great banner mod +rep mate
    Glad you liked it, Toon. But I've just got started there...

ahh i see. btw if you need any help my mom is a web designer and i think she does banners so i can get help from her u need help because from what i heard you can add the mon/igsinia onto their armor. I think i know how to.
    oh btw thx for the help so far i made the date armor blue armor and white clothes and black details.and takeda red and black.

oh and May i use your colors for my mod since they are realistic becuase my mod is based on that period like armies are mostly ashigaru. i will give you credit but i mat edit the shimaztu and date.. the date because you cant really see the blue but other than that the colors are great.!!!
    If you could tell me how to apply a mon on the armor or helmets of these units, that would be great. But from what I've understood from Ftmch, one has to work on the individual unit textures for this, and it looks like a lot of time is needed for it. In my world meaning only (one colour set for each of) the playable clans could come in question for it.

Yes, anyone can use my work as long as it serves a good purpose and I'm given credit for whatever part is mine. What's your mod for anyway? I get the impression is not a S2TW mod...
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 23, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

Glad you liked it, Toon. But I've just got started there...

If you could tell me how to apply a mon on the armor or helmets of these units, that would be great. But from what I've understood from Ftmch, one has to work on the individual unit textures for this, and it looks like a lot of time is needed for it. In my world meaning only (one colour set for each of) the playable clans could come in question for it.

Yes, anyone can use my work as long as it serves a good purpose and I'm given credit for whatever part is mine. What's your mod for anyway? I get the impression is not a S2TW mod...
    it is a S2TW mod. BUT me being stupid for got to turn off read me only so i have to restart and for the mon o the armor i think you have to open up a texture file and just copy the mon on the part of the armor you want so 4 per unit on ultra since their are 4 differnt variants ill see wat i can do \. BTW i am releasing a mod that fixes the yari for great guard and make the yari ashigaru use the short yari and they will fight with it and they will have 2 flag bearers for each unit.

Edit: hey also do you have to do the banners oppisite wat then the uniforms and how in the heck do you get white my white looks cyan
    Last edited by forcerecon569; April 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

I'll have to test that copy-mon-on-armor idea one day.

Colours in the banners file are coded in the reverse order compared to the faction uniforms file, i.e. instead of the usual R-G-B order you have them B-G-R there. So take any set of RGB values and write it differently like that and you'll get what you want for banners.

I'll have to test that copy-mon-on-armor idea one day.

Colours in the banners file are coded in the reverse order compared to the faction uniforms file, i.e. instead of the usual R-G-B order you have them B-G-R there. So take any set of RGB values and write it differently like that and you'll get what you want for banners.
    thx and i hate trying to make the date look cool

thx and i hate trying to make the date look cool
    None of the clans are easily made looking cool. It usually takes of lot of testing and tweaking to get the colour combinations "right".

I have the Hattori coming up, among others. To make them a bit more interesting, I had to depart a little from their vanilla look, which I with lack of other info about their appearance felt I should try to generally follow. So from this...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ...I went to a different red colour for armor details, some reddish tint in their grey clothing and a less glaring red hue for mon on their banners...

In both images shown above, I used Ftmch's Less Glossy Units Mod, but in the recoloured latter, (thanks to a tip from DaVinci) also Wind's fix for The Hedge Knight's Unit Variety Mod 1.0 to go with the LGU. As you can see, all tweaks making for a more natural look of the unit.
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 25, 2011 at 05:16 AM.

None of the clans are easily made looking cool. It usually takes of lot of testing and tweaking to get the colour combinations "right".

I have the Hattori coming up, among others. To make them a bit more interesting, I had to depart a little from their vanilla look, which I with lack of other info about their appearance felt I should try to generally follow. So from this...
    ...I went to a different red colour for armor details, some reddish tint in their grey clothing and a less glaring red hue for mon on their banners...

In both images shown above, I used Ftmch's Less Glossy Units Mod, but in the recoloured latter, (thanks to a tip from DaVinci) also Wind's fix for The Hedge Knight's Unit Variety Mod 1.0 to go with the LGU. As you can see, all tweaks making for a more natural look of the unit.

Nice and i did have that mod i didnt know he came out with a fix though
    right now the date clan has blue armor black clothes and black details :0 basically wat u did backwards . i like your hattori even though i am going to stay with vallina. happy modding

Love the Uesugi look and banner!

I think I'm having an issue. In custom battles, the factions all look exactly as advertised, but the colors come off odd in actual campaigns. The bluish hue of the Takeda in particular comes out as dark black in campaign battles (but appears properly dark blue in custom battles). I'm using TROM 3 at the moment, so wonder if the conflict is there.