Page 1 of 58 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Clan Colours - update to HERO EDITION released! Noif's submod still available

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Alternative Clan Colours - update to HERO EDITION released! Noif's submod still available

A samurai wearing a horo, reproduction of a woodblock print by Utagawa Kuniyoshi

ALTERNATIVE CLAN COLOURS

A recolouring mod for the battlefield units of Shogun2

(excluding RotS and FotS)

Over two hundred new uniforms + banners available

including

all factions of the game with many optional themes

speciality of given major clan marked in corresponding units

all units from the Sengoku Jidai DLC
    turned really special

all units from the Heroes & Saints DLC made to appear a tough bunch

unique-looking hero units,
    ronin, imported matchlock ashigaru, onna bushi etc

and 22 generals in personal outfits

Note about download:

DOWNLOAD PROVISO Download option removed pending TWC's decision about mods and permissions

These mods are normally for private use only.
    Private use means that you can use them in your home, but not upload them somewhere, because it's my right to decide when and where my work is available to the public.
    Under certain conditions, spelled out in the spoiler below, these mods can be used publicly by others.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's not easy to spell out sensible conditions in the vein sought-after here. If anyone finds a formulation problematic, please let me know and I will try to find a remedy.

As things stand now, the conditions that must be met before anyone is granted to use these mods publicly somewhere else are the following:

1) A clear request must be sent to me about permission to use my work publicly somewhere else;
    2) The requestee must have a record of being a good member of the community, the definition of which is spelled out in the spoiler below:
    A good member of the community is one that...

A) treats others with respect, so that they have no objection to visiting the place (or participating in the activity) again, ceteris paribus;
    B) responds to calls for modding advice or other kinds of support for a good cause when in position to help;
    C) gives full credit when credit is due without having to be reminded of it;
    D) gives permission
    to other good members of the community for using his or her work (that may include mods from other creators) publicly;
    E) etc.
    , in same spirit.

Note about qualification A: Some behaviour on the site can definitely put people off from visiting the place or make them fearful of expressing their opinions or thoughts in the forums again. Members prone to such behaviour are community-killers and should face consequences that make them think twice before behaving like that again. For A to be considered fulfilled, the requestee will be tracked for potentially repellant behaviour or clear cases of disrespectful behaviour (according to my judgement).

Note about qualification B: It will be difficult to judge whether or not B is fullfilled at times. Publishing a tutorial might count as sufficient proof of willingness to help while answering calls for the most minor modding help might require half a dozen cases to count in the qualification for a good member of the community. A member of knowledge could be willing to help in one case but see someone else beating him/her to it, which makes it unnecessary to respond in the matter again and leaves him/her without proof of willingness to help. Any point made in support of others for a good cause will count forever, however.

Note about qualifications A-E:
    For any permission, all of the qualifications A-E must be fulfilled. Once permission has been granted, some leeway is given to changes before they count as the cessation of the qualifications being fulfilled. I will give a definition of what will be regarded as a cessation later.

3) The mods will not be used in a way largely at the expense of the community, like...
    A) behind a paywall;
    B) in a video advocating for something bad in some other area of concern (exemplied by Trump's use of songs to boost his campaigns against the wishes of the songwriters);
    C) etc., in same spirit.

Note:
    A permission denied will hold until further notice (to the contrary).
    If the situation changes so that the conditions have been met for a period of at least 6 months, a new request can be made, and this time permission will be granted.
    A permission granted will hold as long as the conditions are met.
    If the conditions no longer are met, and calls to the requestee to once again adhere to the terms have been fruitless for one month, then the permission will be withdrawn, and the requestee will be asked to remove these mods from his/her compilation.
    Failure to do so will result in me asking the site managers to ban the requestee from this site.
    If a requestee has been asked to remove these mods from his/her compilation twice in this manner, permission will not be granted a third time.

If my work is available here, in its original thread at TWC, and I do not answer a request for permission to use it publicly somewhere else within a year:
    then I authorize senior site managers of TWC or a special TWC mod permission committee to make a decision on the premises outlined in this spoiler whether or not to grant that request.
    If neither I nor said senior site managers or special committee are available for answering requests, then my work is simply off limits for public use elsewhere.

Download links (currently disactivated):

ACC Uniforms

ACC Banners

For Noif's submod, see attached file at the bottom of this post

Want detailed info about the mod? Read on!

Updates I'll be notifying you all about developments in this project here.

6 August 2020 - Download option removed pending TWC's decision about mods and permissions. The decision might deny modders the right to decide how their work are to be used publicly by others. As a matter of principle, I cannot accept such a policy. or support a site with such a policy, and my more important work would then not be available at TWC.
    20 December 2016 - Small update, the 59i, released, in order to fix some technical problems which some people may have begun to have with the old Hero Edition! For more details, see post #1123 on page 57 and below, as soon as I get around to refresh the info in the coming days.
    1 March 2015 - Due to some technical hiccup on the administrative level of the site, the old download links for ACC attached at the bottom of OP have disappeared. So I'm uploading the two files for the 59h edition anew, but this time via links to MediaFire at the top of page.
    24 September 2013 - The download links at bottom of page discovered not to work anymore. Moderator contacted to see what can be done about it. Edit: 29 September 2013 - Download links suddenly in operation again. Don't know what happened.
    22 March 2013 - Noif has released his new submod v3 with campaign map flags etc for ACC, available for download among the attached files at bottom of this post! Have fun.
    25 February 2013 - About 40% of the images shown in the OP and post #2 removed due to new restrictions at TWC (limit set at 100, including smilies). All "before pics" and comparison shots with older versions of the mod gone.
    3 February 2013 - Old 59g version of ACC removed from the download list, after a record of 4350 (uniforms mod) and 3675 (banners mod) "views", respectively. Chances are that this will stay the record for ACC, not matter the advancement of later versions, since the interest for S2 is likely to wane from here on, with Rome 2 coming up etc.
    31 January 2013 - Noif's banners mod for ACC removed from the download list due to not working as its creator intended and new version coming up soon. The old version still attracted as many as 1814 "views".
    27 January 2013 - Finally the second last edition of ACC, 59h, sees the community light. Primarily offering a recolouring of the Heroes & Saints and Otomo Clan DLCs, but also many other changes. Check post #901 on page 47 for quickly accessed details. More comprehensive info will follow in the coming days. Bear with me while I find time to update the first three posts accordingly. But all previews of special units, including the heroes, will henceforth be found in their respective clan sections or as individual entries in posts #2 and 3. Note the new installation instructions. And have a h*ll of a good time playing!
    28 August 2012 - Work has begun on recolouring the Heroes and Saints DLC and doing away with the need of a user.script in order to simply installation. The development of this project can be largely followed at the end of the informational section about Special Units below. Also created a new mod enabling all minor clans in custom battles for the purpose. This little tweak is available as one of the attached files at the bottom of post #2.
    30 June 2012- Noif has released an update to his submod!
    See the info section about flags below for details.
    26 June 2012 - Noif has released his first submod with new banners for ACC! See the info section dedicated to flags below for details.
    1 April 2012 - With the release of the Fall of the Samurai (FotS) expansion, CA also updated Shogun2 (S2) with a patch that some people have reported to cause functional problems for ACC. However, at least one gamer claims that he got ACC to work after that patch - see post #597 (edit 15 April: and post #612) for explanations. Everything else in the OP is now fully updated.
    25 February 2012 - Gamers' view of ACC presented in a dedicated section for it below!
    15 January 2012 - At last, first complete version 59g released, based on the latest patch14! Apart from the final nine minor clans of Anegakoji, Ashina, Bessho, Hatano, Honma, Jinbo, Sagara, Sogo, and Ukita, it contains too many changes to enumerate in this section. Info about it will come forth in due time. A separate section regarding the special units will be created and expanded above the one for flags below. For now, just note the new installation instructions and have fun!
    15 January 2012 - Older ACC 50f uniform and banner mods removed from the download list (after a new record of 2210 and 1909 "views", respectively) in preparation for the release of an upgrade.
    13 October 2011 - Older ACC 31d uniform and banner mods removed from the download list (after a record of 1511 and 1323 "views", respectively). I don't think we need them anymore.
    17 August 2011 - ACC is back with 50f, a big update, featuring an improvement to the katana ronin, a minor tweak to the Amako and Otomo clans, and nineteen new factions - the Asano, Hatakeyama, Ito, Kikkawa, Kiso, Kitabatake, Kobayakawa, Kono, Matsuda, Murakami, Ogigayatsu, Saito, Satake, Shoni, Takaoka, Tsutsui, Utsunomiya, Yamana and Yamanouchi - plus banners for the bunch. As advertised in posts #1-3 below. Older version ACC 20c removed from the download list.
    19 July 2011 - ACC project put on hold.
    19 June 2011 - ACC enterprise taken a step further with 31d, offering new versions of Date, Oda, and Tokugawa, a change to Kuroda, varied types of ronin, eleven new factions - the Buddhist rebels, Christian rebels, European traders, Ikko-ikki (DLC), Ishida, Otomo, Ouchi, Satomi, Standard rebels, Toyotomi and Wako pirates - and banners for the lot. Older ACC versions 9a, 12b and 16c removed from the download list. More info of the new ACC will be provided in a few days.
    17 May 2011 - Banner mod added to ACC 20c. See changelogs for the flag mod regarding details.
    13 May 2011 - Version 20c based on the latest patch5 from CA posted, adding Ashikaga, Kuroda, Sakai and Urakami. The banner mod that goes with those clans will turn up later. See posts #2 and 3 for info.
    30 April 2011 - Version 16c including new banners out, with changes to Date, Mori and Tokugawa, and introducing Hattori, Hosokawa, Miyoshi and Mogami. See posts #2 and 3 for details regarding the latter three clans, and below regarding the updates for the other clans.
    21 April 2011 - A banner mod complementing ACC 12b has been released. See near bottom of this post for details.
    20 April 2011 - Version 12b released, including a minor adjustment to Oda and three new clans: Amako, Asai and Imagawa. See details regarding the last three clans in post #2.
    17 April 2011 - Optional colours for Tokugawa and Uesugi added. They might be included in the main mod with the next update.
    15 April 2011- First ACC version 9a introduced to the community with new uniform colours for Chosokabe, Date, Hojo, Mori, Oda, Shimazu, Takeda, Tokugawa and Uesugi.

Introduction

Ever since RTW, I've been wanting to do some retexturing and recoloring of the units in the great TW series of games. But I lacked the tools, money and time to do it. Now, with me venturing into the world of hex code editing for the very first time, I'm finally able to make a contribution in the visual department of mods. I hope you like the result. Whatever the case, I sure have had fun doing this thing.

Approach

The reason I started this project was of course my dissatisfaction with how some of the units looked, and my belief that I could improve on that a bit. For inspiration to my changes, I'd like to turn to historical sources. But in the case of the Sengoku period in Japan, good material seemed hard to find (for a westerner like me). Searching the web does not yield much, at least not quickly. But over time, I've collected a fair amount of material in pictures of authentic armors, re-enactment festivals, woodblock prints, paintings, miniature soldiers etc. The source that got me going first was the following illustration:

I have come to know its creator - good Mr Danborg, by fantastic coincidence also known as TomteOfDoom here at TWC and a fellow countryman (!) - as a person very knowledgeable of Japanese history during this period. So, unless otherwise indicated, I've based my work on this source. I've since then developped a certain degree of knowledge of this period myself, which has given me more creative freedom in the choice of colour themes.

According to my sources, as a rule, the warriors of this age and place did not wear uniforms. Each individual soldier basically provided or chose his own equipment as he saw fit. The parties on the battlefield distinguished friend from foe usually by the banners they carried, specifically the design of the crests on them, not the colours. Some clans did appear to have a custom of using lacing of a certain colour, which could serve as a mark to which clan the soldier in question belonged, but you could find all kinds of armor, clothing and colours in a given clan army of this period.

The notable exceptions to this rule were the Date and Il clans, and to some extent perhaps the Sanada. Some warlords within a clan, like Takeda Shingen's general Yamagata Masakage, were known to equip his closest men in similarly coloured armor, and the ashigarus in the Oda clan is said have been noted for their black armor with lemon-coloured clothing, to name a couple of the few examples where the soldiers wore anything reminiscent of a uniform.

For those interested in going a little deeper on the subject, check this conversation copied from a reputable site, www.samurai-archives.com:
    Yuushi-sama:
    “’ I am starting a 25mm samurai army and I'm having difficulties with the colour of the samurai armour. Basically, I have seen a bunch of different patterns, schemes, etc. but I can't seem to find an answer to this simple question:
    Were samurai armour all the same colour in one unit or could it be different?’”

evalerio [a prominent contributor to the material hosted at this site, especially with regard to Japanese heraldry]:
    “You are more likely to get the right look by painting an army with samurai in different type or different color of armour. A samurai army with 'uniformed' armour just doesn't look right.

There are only two exceptions. There are only two 'contingents' that I know of that have some 'uniformity' in armour for both samurai and ashigaru.

Ii clan 'Red Devils', from the highest 'ranking' samurai to the lowest ashigaru, all wearing red-lacquered armour. Samurai wearing red-lacquered armour with lacings in dark blue or yellow ochre. Ashigaru with red-lacquered okegawa-do, yukinoshita-do and tatami-do. I've seen different types of armour, but all are lacquered red for the Ii. Very rare examples with gold 'trimmings', with the shikoro, or sode or haidate with gold lames.

The Date clan are known for having the highest 'ranking' samurai to the lowest ashigaru with black-lacquered yukinoshita-do. Some have mon in gold on the breastplate. 'Units' would have some uniformity in the mon painted on the breastplate, from a simple gold disc to the more elaborate Date mon of birds in a circle of bamboo. The 'uniformity' in the type and color in the Date are more likely in the 'inner' circle, the highest ranking. All other types and color of armour are also there.

In most armies there would be no uniformity in the type or colour of armour worn by samurai. The same with ashigaru, the majority clad in simpler, cheaper type and quality, with the majority in black lacquer., in smaller numbers in brown and/or red.

Ashigaru armour in better equipped armies have the mon or some sort of 'unit' designs painted on armour. Most would have the mon in gold on black armour (breastplate, jingasa). The mon could also be painted red on black breastplate and/or jingasa. Red armour would have mon or other designs in gold or black on the breastplate and/or jingasa. The most common type seen are gold mon on black breastplate. Ashigaru tatami-do are most often all-black, red tatami-do are also common.”

kurosuke:
    “I'd like to add something on colors of ashigaru armour.

About a year or so ago I did an inquiry in ashigaru armor. I took available photos of survived XVI-XVII cent. cuirasses (mainly okegawa-do) and tried to classify them by main color, color of design and type of design.

There were totally 79 cuirasses. Out of them the majority were black (72%), the rest brown (14%), red (11%) and even gold (mere 3% - 2 pieces).

2/3 of black cuirasses had golden design (65%) and those with red design occupied the second place (28%). Apart of one and only piece with silver design, the rest cuirasses were plain black. 56% of red cuirasses had golden design and 33% - black. Designs of brown do were evenly divided between golden and red (36%). 18% of brown do even had black design (2 pieces). Both golden cuirasses had black design.

As for design itself, more than half designed cuirasses bore mon (57%). 22% bore other objects (abstract designs, japanese figures), 13% were striped and 6% had characters painted on them.

Only 5 cuirasses out of totally 79 did not bear any design - 3 blacks, 1 red and 1 brown.”

JLBadgley:
    evalerio wrote:
    Ii clan 'Red Devils', from the highest 'ranking' samurai to the lowest ashigaru, all wearing red-lacquered armour. Samurai wearing red-lacquered armour with lacings in dark blue or yellow ochre. Ashigaru with red-lacquered okegawa-do, yukinoshita-do and tatami-do. I've seen different types of armour, but all are lacquered red for the Ii. Very rare examples with gold 'trimmings', with the shikoro, or sode or haidate with gold lames.’

Apparently Ii Naomasa took the idea from the Takeda, so he wasn't the first (just more famous for it, perhaps).”

evalerio:
    “Takeda Shingen's general Yamagata Masakage didn't have all his troops in red armour, but clad his closest retainers in red and chose samurai who did wear red lacquered armour to be in the front ranks. Masakage may have 'absorbed' the all-red troops of the 'red regiment' of his brother Obu Toramasa who was executed for treason. Masakage's troops made an impression on Ieyasu at Mikata ga hara and Nagashino.

Probably plain looking ashigaru armour were not as appealing for collectors to add to their display. BUT 'old' armour that were still intact and functional were not just discarded, but were reused and recycled. Many plain-looking ashigaru armour in 'earlier' times were likely 'repainted' by later owners as ashigaru became more professional and permanent. The Matsuura army in the Edo period used ashigaru armour with different designs to identify different 'companies' or 'platoons'.”

(and from a different site)
    Custine:
    “A couple of years ago I visited Fukuoka in Japan which has a wonderful museum crammed with Samurai armour. Amongst the displays you could see red, blue ( in various shades), yellow, green and black armour. The range of colours was astonishing. SO yes there was blue samurai armour, as well as just about every other colour you can imagine.”
    From the above, you can deduce that when you find an accurate source showing a samurai or suit of armor for a samurai and this being labelled as "Shimazu clan samurai armor" or some other specific clan designation, you cannot conclude that all samurais of the clan in question looked like that, but only that at least one samurai from that clan did once. A different design would not necessarily mean less historical accuracy.

Black appears to have been the most popular colour for armor in Japan at the time, with brown coming second etc. So if a given clan must be represented with one colour for armor in this game, and the most popular colour in reality, chances are that all factions featured in the game must be given black armor. Here's where I depart from "historical accuracy". I want the game to be interesting to play and all factions interesting to play. If they all look too similar, much of the fun and point of the game will be lost. My uniform themes are therefore examples of how samurais could appear as a whole, an attempt to represent this great mixture of design and colours that existed in the Warring States period, but still with some foundation in the particular case for each clan. So, from this perspective, my approach is "historically accurate", and probably gives a more realistic impression as a whole than if all clans in game wore the most popular armor of the clan.

Whatever the case, it's easier said than done to reproduce the colour scheme of a given historical source in S2. The game design only allows three colours to be changed and these usually in a different pattern than shown in the sources. Take the appearance of the Oda according to Danborg's illustration, for instance - black armor with strong patches of yellow on it. The game doesn't distribute the details of the armor in big patches like that, but in tiny details all over the place, resulting in this complementary colour not being seen properly from a certain distance and in effect blending with the colour of the armor. Unlike the clothing in Danborg's illustration, whatever colour you choose for clothing in this game will dominate the appearance. So sometimes it's not possible to get it "right", you'll have to settle for an approximation.

Towards the end of the development course for ACC version 59g, I came across sites showing traditional Japanese colours. These are special hues with a long history of use in this country, made of various natural products and processes, and given rich names with inspiration from nature, culture or customs. In older times, it was not possible to create all these millions of colours we can see in modern media thanks to our advanced technology. So soldiers of history were more likely dressed in gear dyed in these traditional colours. That's why I set out to update all colour values into these older hues. I had time to start a little on that project in 59g. With 59h, this has been taken a step further, and it will go all the way with the final 59i. The result is quite fascinating in the suggestive names for the colours used alone. The Uesugi clan, for example, are now decked out in youkan-iro armor with yanagi-susu-take details and kuri-iro clothing - i.e. kind of sweet colour armor with sooty willow bamboo colour details and black cray of riverbed colour clothing. That's why they look so good!

Add my drive for a realistic impression that has pushed me towards even grittier colours than seen in the first versions of this mod, and you get the soul of ACC, which will be refined even further for its final edition.

Illustrations
    As examples of the result from this mod, I'm posting pics of different units in various environments clan-wise, but I have let the game decide the time of day shown. So if you think the result is difficult to see on occasion, then it seems it's meant to be a surprise when you see those units yourself in game. I may replace the first pics with others later.

Note that, in the case of ACC 59g or earlier versions, all shots have been taken with the Less Glossy Units Mod installed. This mod clearly improved upon the realistic look of the units, and I recommended everybody who used my mod to also use this other mod. In fact, I based my work on the effect which the LGUM had, and you wouldn't be able to appreciate it in full without that essential mod. So I provided a link to it here. Please give its creator, Ftmch, extra credit for this. Superghostboy has since developped a great alternative to Ftmch's variant, worthy of equal praise, and you can find that here. All shots of ACC 59h have been taken with his variant in place. Edit: Unfortunately, some time after the release of 59h, CA came out with one or two patches that changed the conditions for the anti-gloss mods, and it doesn't look like any of them work anymore.

Note also in the earlier pics the use of two other graphical mods: ToonTotalWar's retextured bow, found here (although this is no longer updated or working) and matmohair1's yari diversity mod, available here. Durruti1936 has since provided me with a good replacement in bow retexture, fetchable in post ¤18 here. Give them all some credit for their work.

Since the release of ACC 31d, the presentation of my work has been organized in the following way. All recolour themes for the major factions are displayed in this OP, whereas the greater number of minor factions and some faction-free units are found in posts #2 and 3, distributed about evenly there.

Also as of ACC 31d, all factions and units that I have recoloured are displayed as they appear with my banner mod installed. This second visual mod of mine is available separately from the first, and you can read more details about it in the special section for it below. In order to get the armies looking exactly like presented in the following shots, you therefore need to download and install two mods from this thread, one for the uniforms and one for the banners, as indicated by the mod names.

As of 26 June 2012, you should know that there's also a special submod for banners available, courtesy of Noif! See the section dedicated to flags below regarding details about that mod.

Anyhow, here it is, my alternative to vanilla or modifications of similar sort out there.

The position of ACC regarding vanilla colours - original image courtesy of Hazeyshot (also using The Hedge Knight's Unit Variety Mod)

Presenting the new

CHOSOKABE-SHI After ACC 59h:
    Old theme updated in all parts a bit, mainly introducing usuhana-iro ("pale flower colour", i.e. a certain shade of blue) for armor details...
    The first clan I found a satisfactory theme for, in line with the illustration on Danborg's plate.

Speciality of this clan: Archery.

Therefore...

Recoloured special units: Bow Ashigaru, Bow Samurai, Bow Warrior Monks, Daikyu Samurai, Bow Heroes and Chosokabe Motochika.

Example:
    Theme for the daimyo Chosokabe Motochika is based on the following source (at www.jmodern.com)...

I let you discover him for yourself. Unfortunately, all generals recoloured the normal ACC way may appear in custom and historical battles only.

DATE-SHI In ACC 59g and 59h, the Date looked the same. But...

After 59i:
    The source for this change are images of samurai figures in wax from the Date Masamune Historical Museum in Japan. One could interpret these images in different ways, though. Will probably tweak the new theme further for the final 59j edition.

Speciality of this clan: No-dachi Samurai.

Therefore...

Recoloured special units:
    No-dachi Samurai, Bulletproof Samurai and Date Masamune.

Example:
    The theme for Date Masamune, one of the most famous daimyos of all, is based on an image of his armor authentically reproduced by modern craftsmen.

HATTORI After 59h:
    No change from 59g other than in mon colour shade on banners and an update to their ninjas.

After 59g:

For want of other info for this older edition, I ended up changing only the armor details to a red hue suiting them better, the clothing to a couple of steps lighter grey and their banner to one looking more natural.

Speciality of this faction: Ninjas.

Recoloured units: Kisho Ninjas, Bandits, Bow Samurai, No-dachi Samurai, Katana Samurai, Naginata Samurai and Hattori Hanzo. The samurai units mentioned here do not indicate that they're special in any way, as opposed to the case for other major factions, but only that I could recolour them. Will probably change something in this selection for final 59i version.

Example:

Theme for Hanzo based on this pic...

GO-HOJO-SHI After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:
    The Hojo is the only major clan whose first draft for recoloured uniform I've left untouched.

Speciality of this clan: Building and sieges.

Therefore...

Recoloured special units: European Cannons, Fire Bomb Throwers, Fire Rockets, Hand Mortars, Mangonels, Hojo Tsunanari and Hojo Ujiyasu.

Example:
    Hand Mortars inspired by a photo taken by Samurai Dave from a Hojo festival at Odawara Castle in Japan. The themes for the aforementioned generals fetched the idea largely from these illustrations, showing Hojo Ujiyasu to the left and a prominent figure on horseback to the right ...

Based on the second pic, Hojo Tsunanari came out as one of my favourite recolour works for the generals.

IKKO-IKKI After 59h:
    No change from 59g other than an update for Shimotsuma Nakayuki.

After 59g:

Pretty militant monks. Banner inspired by CA's intro movie (as suggested by Moonflower, thank you), but uniform by Wayne Reynolds' illustration in Stephen Turnbull's Japanese Warrior Monks AD 949-1603:

Speciality of this faction: Warrior monks.

Recoloured units: Bow Warrior Monks, Matchlock Warrior Monks, Loan Sword Ashigaru, Naginata Warrior Monks Garrison, Naginata Warrior Monks Cavalry, Marathon Monks, Naginata Warrior Monk Heroes and Shimotsuma Nakayuki.

Example:
    The figure to the right in the pic below is an image of their leader, Shimotsuma Nakayuki...

I used that idea in 59g but gave it an even darker interpretation for 59h...

MORI-SHI After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:
    Inspiration for this theme came from this painting of Mori Motonari, a prominent daimyo in the Sengoku period...

Speciality of this clan: Naval matters.

Recoloured special units: Wako Raiders and Mori Motonari.

Example:
    One of my favourite works.

Mori Motonari is available in two versions, based on this other source below and a couple of others...

Here's the
    optional version...

RGB codes for this second idea: 22,22,14 -146,129,120-172,45,80.

ODA-SHI In ACC 59g and 59h, the Oda appeared the same. This has changed...

After 59i:
    This based on an illustration of the Battle of Okehazama in 1590. It holds for all units except the special ones for this clan.

Choice of colours for the latter came from having picked up that d
    uring at least a certain period of the Sengoku era the ashigarus of the Oda were typically dressed "in the distinctive 'lemon yellow' colour with black armor of this clan", a fact which www.eastofindia.com, a site dedicated in the production of "connoisseur style" miniature soldiers, has followed. Purple seems to have been quite popular for lacing and the like. So CA's colour combination of yellow and purple was not that far off from a historical point of view as I first thought. Even Kurosawa's movie Kagemusha shows a scene where Oda Nobunaga meets Tokugawa Ieyasu in a field camp somewhere, surrounded by an Oda "maku", a camp screen in yellow, purple and white. But the colour in trousers, lacings, socks varied.

Speciality of this clan: Ashigarus.

Therefore...

Recoloured special unts: Bow Ashigaru, Matchlock Ashigaru, Yari Ashigaru, Long Yari Ashigaru and Oda Nobunaga.

Example:
    Now, the three "fathers of Japan" came from the Oda, Toyotomi and Tokugawa clans, and in that order. In the first case, the name of the national father was in fact Oda Nobunaga. He's said to have worn several kinds of armor. I've tried to reproduce one of his darker attires.

OTOMO-SHI After 59h:
    Latest addition to the group of major factions has gotten their old theme finely tuned...
    From Danborg's conception of these guys. Their old outfit made a fine show, too, as proven well here, in picture courtesy of le_fred (using Superghostboy's mods and other works)...
    I don't know anyone who can portray a S2 battle more dramatically than le_fred.

Speciality of this clan: Firearms.

Therefore...

Recoloured special units: Matchlock Ashigaru, Matchlock
    Samurai, Donderbuss Cavalry (partly) and Otomo Sorin. Tried to improve on the colours of the Portuguese Tercos, too, but they proved uneditable the normal ACC way, unfortunately.

Example:

For the Donderbuss Cavalry, I only recloured the officer, because I think they look cooler in regular colours. But you can give the soldiers an optional theme by using the RGB codes 37-35-33, 57-57-57 and 145-152-159 in the right place. If you do that, the unit will appear like this...
    The uniform theme for Otomo Sorin was based on this replica of armor said to have been worn by this man...

SHIMAZU-SHI After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Compared to the first version, the new Shimazu clothing has the slightest blue tint, and the black armor a certain brownish tone. The result is more "life" in their appearance, IMO.

However, those green banners may not have been the ones any Shimazu army carried in battle in reality during this period. Instead, they more likely carried the following:

To swap the green background and white ties for black on the flags, edit my banner mod using RGB values of 40-40-40 in the B2-R2 columns, and 25-25-25 in the B3-R3 columns. You may also prefer a different uniform, use the RGB values of 25-25-25, 59-94-43, and 132-132-132.

Speciality of this clan: Anything to do with katanas.

Therefore...

Recoloured special units: Katana Samurai, Katana Heroes, Heavy Gunners and Shimazu Yoshihiro.

Examples:
    Took the theme for the latter from these miniature figures (at www.tedtoy.com) showing Shimazu Yoshihiro to the left and his nephew Shimazu Toyohisa to the right...

TAKEDA-SHI After 59h:
    Compared to previous editions, the red hue for armor has been reduced in intensity, and black introduced for clothing...
    Bow retexture courtesy of Durruti1936; the less glossy units for a more natural appearance thanks to Superghostboy's advice of removing shaders_patch10 pack from data folder (which no longer is possible after the release of the Otomo Clan DLC etc). Armor above may still need tweaking down for final edition of ACC.

Basis for this theme (photo by David Khattak), among other pics...

Speciality of this clan: Cavalry.

Therefore...

Recoloured special units: Light Cavalry, Bow Cavalry, Katana Cavalry, Yari Cavalry, Fire Cavalry, Takeda Katsuyori, Takeda Nobukado and Takeda Shingen. Great Guard proved uneditable the normal ACC way.

Example with Takeda cavalry approaching from a distance:
    Sources for the cavalry themes are many. For Light Cavalry, for example, the guys in blue seen here, at a festival celebrating Nobukado's more famous brother, Takeda Shingen...

Originally planned a black uniform theme for the Great Guard, the soldiers loosely inspired by pics from a Takeda Shingen festival, and the officer by a reproduction of Yamamoto Kansuke's (one of Takeda Shingen's generals') armor shown below...

But since the Guard is apparently beyond simple modding reach, I used it for the Yari Cavalry instead.

When it comes to this clan's many generals, I took the ideas from illustrations like the ones below...:

For Nobukado, however, I found nothing definite to go on, except that he used the colours of white mon on medium blue for his uma-jirushi (big banner). I've seen some miniature figures of Takeda soldiers in displays representing the Battle of Nagashino, where he was involved, wearing blue helmets. Black was apparently also a common colour among his troops. So he turned out like this...

TOKUGAWA-SHI After 59h:
    No change from 59g other than the introduction of a recolouring of their ninjas.

After 59g:

Thanks to an observation by forcerecon569, I set out to improve upon my first two editions of this clan and thereby discovered that they should wear black or dark brown armor with medium or light blue clothing. Much like used for these miniature Tokugawa soldiers...

In case you like the older versions better, the colours are 6,2,63-83,75,79-111,78,65 and 44,22,8-82,92,101-0,46,99, respectively.

Speciality of this clan: Diplomacy and Ninjas.

Therefore...

Recoloured special units: Kisho Ninjas, Mounted Gunners and Tokugawa Ieyasu.

Example:
    I have pretended this clan to have their Mounted Gunners supplied by the famous retainers of the Tokugawa family, the Ii clan. Source for the latter this spectacular suit of armor belonging to one of its most wellknown members ...

Another source for the Mounted Gunners of the Tokugawa was the illustration used as basis for the Kuroda Optional 2 theme seen in post #2 below.

CA's model for the great daimyo and national unifier Tokugawa Ieyasu could have been formed from this illustration...

That's why you see him appearing in those furry colours in ACC.

UESUGI-SHI After 59h:
    No change to regular uniform theme from 59g, but all special units have been updated in various degrees.

After 59g:

The work on special units prompted me to find a new uniform for this prominent clan. Earlier versions had been developped without help from (historical) illustrations of common soldiers. Then I found a couple of photos from a festival at Yanezawa in Japan commemorating the great battle(s) of Kawanakajima between Uesugi Kenshin and Takeda Shingen, one shown here...

Note the colour and crest of the Uesugi banners which the re-enactment soldiers are carrying. The overall impression of their uniforms is dark, primarily in the colours of blue, black, brown and green. From this, I created a completely new appearance for the Uesugi, as seen in 59g version above. I think the new uniforms better conveys the greatness of this clan, and the difference and rivalry between it and the Takeda clan.

The vanilla flags feature the personal battle mark of Uesugi Kenshin, but in the wrong colours, as he had it in white and black. The clan's proper battlefield standard was a red sun disc on blue background, but the proper family mon was apparently used for the sashimonos, as illustrated below...

The speciality of this clan: Monks, including those engaged in warfare.

Therefore...

Recoloured special units: Bow Warrior Monks (partly), Matchlock Warrior Monks, Naginata Warrior Monks, Marathon Monks, Naginata Warrior Monk Heroes, Uesugi Norimasa and Uesugi Kenshin.

Example with Marathon Monks in bright light and dark shadows (not the clearast view but you get the idea):
    Thematic source for Uesugi Kenshin:

But Norimasa is pretty cool, too, if you ask me.

My hex code editor looks a lot like this - like a matrix made by aNdre-W.

Mod development

ACC version history The number in the version name stands for the number of clans that have been recoloured in it, and the letter for which edition of recolouring it is. So if one version is called 9a and another 12b, for example, then the latter contains three more recoloured clans than the former, and at least one of clans in the earlier version has been recoloured in a new way.

Now, when the development of this mod - from the simple 9a, 12b, and 16c versions through 20c and 31d to the more comprehensive 45e and 50f - has been basically finished with the release of 59g, a word must be said about its future. I've left some loose ends in this project. The new colours and feel of ACC has not been transferred to the faction icons in the menus or faction flags on the campaign map, for example. I hereby grant anyone who think these things ought to be fixed the permission to use my colours for the purpose of doing so. This includes "fixes" of retextures that adds clan mons on helmets and the like. The only condition for this is that you give me part credit for this and that you post the result where it belongs, i.e. in this thread. Full acknowledgement of and reference to it will of course be given in the OP, as soon as I am aware that a fix has been made. As I may not visit this site as often as before from now on, you'd better PM me about the existence of a fix, so I can deal with it appropriately sooner.

I'll be turning my attention to actually playing the game for the first time. During the course of doing so, I'm pretty sure I'll discover ways of improvement to ACC. If I get enough of those, I'll return to publish the final version of ACC. But this won't happen in the near future. I think the current version will do for a pretty long time.

Tomoe Gozen, the famous female warrior, as percieved in a Japanese movie

Special units

The new and enlarged ACC features a lot of special units with uniquely coloured uniforms (unique as in no other unit has exactly the same combination of colours). This means that they depart from the "normal" ACC theme, if applicable, in one way or other. Erase one of them from the mod, and the "normal" ACC theme will return on that unit.

For an example of the ideas behind this differentiation, any faction-specific unit with a colour theme diverging from the main uniform theme for a major faction indicates that this clan specializes in that type of warriors. In the Takeda case, their speciality is cavalry. So all Takeda cavalry in ACC are made to look special, different from everything else, but still based on historical sources. See their section above for an example of this. The units in the latest Heroes & Saints DLC, on the other hand, could be regarded as independent specialists and elite troops for hire to anyone who can afford them. So, in ACC, they look the same regardless of which faction that uses them. But the other heroes are thought to be accompanied by the best troops the faction in question can muster from its own ranks. So when you recruit the single Bow Hero, Katana Hero, Naginata Warrior Monk Hero or Yari Hero, the soldiers following them will appear in their respective clan colours.

Here's the complete list of what version 59g contained with regard to special units:

Recoloured special units in ACC 59g
    1. Ashikaga Haruuji
    2. Bow hero
    3. Bow ronin officer
    4. Bow ronin soldier
    5. Bow ronin standard bearer
    6. Bow wako officer
    7. Bow wako soldier
    8. Bow wako standard bearer
    9. Chosokabe bow ashigaru soldier and standard bearer
    10. Chosokabe bow hero
    11. Chosokabe bow hero soldier
    12. Chosokabe bow samurai officer, soldier and standard bearer
    14. Chosokabe bow warrior monk soldier
    15. Chosokabe daikyu samurai officer, soldier and standard bearer.
    16. Chosokabe Motochika
    17. Date bulletproof samurai officer
    18. Date bulletproof samurai soldier
    19. Date bulletproof samurai standard bearer and no-dachi samurai standard bearer
    20. Date Masamune
    21. Date no-dachi samurai officer
    22. Date no-dachi samurai soldier
    23. Hattori bandit officer
    24. Hattori bandit soldier
    25. Hattori bow samurai officer and soldier
    26. Hattori Hanzo
    27. Hattori katana samurai officer and soldier
    28. Hattori kisho ninja officer
    29. Hattori kisho ninja soldier
    30. Hattori naginata samurai officer and soldier
    31. Hattori no-dachi samurai officer and soldier
    32. Hojo cannon officer and soldier
    33. Hojo fire bomb thrower officer and soldier
    34. Hojo fire rocket officer and soldier
    35. Hojo hand mortar officer and soldier.
    36. Hojo mangonel officer and soldier
    37. Hojo Tsunanari
    38. Hojo Ujiyasu
    39. Ikko-ikki bow warrior monk officer
    40. Ikko-ikki bow warrior monk soldier
    41. Ikko-ikko loan sword ashigaru officer
    42. Ikko-ikko loan sword ashigaru soldier
    43. Ikko-ikki marathon monk officer
    44. Ikko-ikki marathon monk soldier
    45. Ikko-ikki matchlock warrior monk soldier
    46. Ikko-ikki naginata warrior monk cavalry officer
    47. Ikko-ikki naginata warrior monk cavalry soldier
    48. Ikko-ikki naginata warrior monk garrison (citizenry) officer
    49. Ikko-ikki naginata warrior monk garrison (citizenry) soldier
    50. Ikko-ikki naginata warrior monk hero officer
    51. Ikko-ikki naginata warrior monk hero soldier
    52. Imagawa Ujichika
    53. Imagawa Yoshimoto
    54. Imported matchlock ashigaru soldier
    55. Imported matchlock ashigaru standard bearer
    56. Ishida Mitsunari
    57. Katana hero
    58. Katana ronin officer
    59. Katana ronin soldier
    60. Katana ronin standard bearer
    61. Katana wako officer
    62. Katana wako standard bearer
    63. Kobayakawa Hideaki
    64. Mori Motonari
    65. Mori wako raider officer
    66. Mori wako raider soldier
    67. Mori wako raider standard bearer
    68. Naginata warrior monk hero
    69. Oda bow ashigaru officer
    70. Oda bow ashigaru soldier
    71. Oda bow ashigaru standard bearer
    72. Oda long yari ashigaru officer
    73. Oda long yari ashigaru soldier
    74. Oda long yari ashigaru standard bearer
    75. Oda matchlock ashigaru officer
    76. Oda matchlock ashigaru soldier
    77. Oda Nobunaga
    78. Oda yari ashigaru officer
    79. Oda yari ashigaru soldier
    80. Oda yari ashigaru standard bearer
    81. Ogigayatsu Tomosada
    82. Onna bushi officer
    83. Onna bushi soldier
    84. Shimazu heavy gunner officer
    85. Shimazu heavy gunner soldier
    86. Shimazu heavy gunner standard bearer
    87. Shimazu katana samurai officer
    88. Shimazu katana samurai soldier
    89. Shimazu katana samurai standard bearer
    90. Shimazu katana hero officer
    91. Shimazu katana hero soldier
    92. Shimazu Yoshihiro
    93. Shimotsuma Nakayuki
    94. Takeda fire cavalry officer
    95. Takeda fire cavalry soldier
    96. Takeda bow cavalry officer
    97. Takeda bow cavalry soldier
    98. Takeda light cavalry officer
    99. Takeda light cavalry soldier
    100. Takeda katana cavalry officer
    101. Takeda katana cavalry soldier
    102. Takeda Katsuyori
    103. Takeda Nobukado
    104. Takeda Shingen
    105. Takeda yari cavalry officer
    106. Takeda yari cavalry soldier
    107. Tokugawa Ieyasu
    108. Tokugawa mounted gunner officer
    109. Tokugawa mounted gunner soldier
    110. Uesugi bow warrior monk officer
    111. Uesugi Kenshin
    112. Uesugi marathon monk officer
    113. Uesugi marathon monk soldier
    114. Uesugi matchlock warrior monk officer
    115. Uesugi matchlock warrior monk soldier
    116. Uesugi naginata warrior monk hero officer
    117. Uesugi naginata warrior monk hero soldier
    118. Uesugi naginata warrior monk officer
    119. Uesugi naginata warrior monk soldier
    120. Uesugi Norimasa
    121. Warrior nun officer
    122. Warrior nun soldier
    123. Yari hero
    124. Yari ronin officer
    125. Yari ronin soldier
    126. Yari ronin standard bearer
    And here's a complete list of which uniforms the new 59h edition have changed, in one way or other, from previous version or vanilla:
    Units
    1. Ashikaga Haruuji
    2. Bow Cavalry Hero Officer
    3. Bow Cavalry Hero Soldier
    4. Bow Hero
    5. Chosokabe Bow Ashigaru Officer
    6. Chosokabe Bow Ashigaru Soldier
    7. Chosokabe Bow Ashigaru Standard Bearer
    8. Chosokabe Bow Hero Officer.
    9. Chosokabe Bow Hero Soldier
    10. Chosokabe Bow Samurai Officer
    11. Chosokabe Bow Samurai Soldier
    12. Chosokabe Bow Samurai Standard Bearer.
    13. Chosokabe Bow Warrior Monk Officer
    14. Chosokabe Bow Warrior Monk Soldier
    15. Chosokabe Bow Warrior Monk Standard Bearer.
    16. Chosokabe Daikyu Samurai Officer
    17. Chosokabe Daikyu Samurai Soldier
    18. Chosokabe Daikyu Samurai Standard Bearer
    19. Chosokabe Motochika
    20. Hattori Kisho Ninja Officer
    21. Hattori Kisho Ninja Soldier
    23. Imagawa Yoshimoto
    24. Katana Cavalry Hero Officer
    25. Katana Cavalry Hero Soldier
    26. Katana Hero
    27. Kisho Ninja Hero Soldier
    28. Kisho Ninja Officer
    29. Kisho Ninja Soldier
    30. Matchlock Hero Officer
    31. Matchlock Hero Soldier
    32. Naginata Hero Officer
    33. Naginata Hero Soldier
    34. Naginata Heroine Officer
    35. Naginata Heroine Soldier
    36. Naginata Warrior Monk Hero.
    37. Nodachi Hero Officer
    38. Nodachi Hero Soldier
    39. Onna Bushi Officer
    40. Onna Bushi Soldier
    41. Otomo Donderbuss Cavalry Officer
    42. Otomo Donderbuss Cavalry Soldier (optional)
    43. Otomo Matchlock Ashigaru Officer
    44. Otomo Matchlock Ashigaru Soldier
    45. Otomo Matchlock Ashigaru Standard Bearer
    46. Otomo Matchlock Samurai Officer
    47. Otomo Matchlock Samurai Soldier
    48. Otomo Matchlock Samurai Standard Bearer
    49. Otomo Sorin
    50. Shimotsuma Nakayuki
    51. Takeda Bow Cavalry Officer
    52. Takeda Bow Cavalry Soldie
    53. Takeda Fire Cavalry Officer
    54. Takeda Fire Cavalry Soldier
    55. Takeda Light Cavalry Officer
    56. Takeda Light Cavalry Soldier
    57. Takeda Katana Cavalry Officer
    58. Takeda Katana Cavalry Soldier
    59 Takeda Nobukado
    61. Takeda Shingen
    62. Takeda Yari Cavalry Officer
    63. Takeda Yari Cavalry Soldier
    64. Tetsubo Hero Officer
    65. Tetsubo Hero Soldier
    66. Tokugawa Kisho Ninja Officer
    67. Tokugawa Kisho Ninja Soldier
    68. Uesugi Bow Warrior Monks Officer
    69. Uesugi Kenshin
    70. Uesugi Marathon Monks Officer
    71. Uesugi Marathon Monks Soldier
    72. Uesugi Matchlock Warrior Monks Officer
    73. Uesugi Matchlock Warrior MonksSoldier
    74. Uesugi Naginata Warrior Monk Hero Officer
    76. Uesugi Naginata Warrior Monks Officer
    77. Uesugi Naginata Warrior Monks Soldier
    78. Uesugi Norimasa
    79. Yari Cavalry Hero Officer
    80. Yari Cavalry Hero Soldier
    81. Yari Hero
    The choice of units to recolour has been based on those listed in the uniforms_table. There are more units listed there than I have recoloured. Both the Hattori and the Ikko-ikki, for example, could have gotten recoloured ashigaru units, too. But I thought they have enough variety as it stands, at least for now. I have not bothered to test adding a unit not listed in that table originally. I might do that later, to remedy the fact that some factions recieved few special units recoloured in this way, like the Mori or Tokugawa, whereas others got several, like the aforementioned Hattori and Ikko-ikki.

Note the limited availability of these units in game. Take Oda units, for example. Oda Nobunaga will show up in new colours at the historical Battle of Nagashino, but not his ashigarus; those ashigarus will show up new in campaign mode instead...but probably not Oda Nobunaga in that new outfit. I don't know why the game works in this way (why the uniforms_to_faction_colours file does not always take precedence over the faction_uniform_colours file), and I haven't tested how everything works in all areas yet.

To see all new generals in custom battles, you need to install a little jewel of a mod found in post #412 on page 21 of this thread, courtesy of Anton III (thanks again, man!). Since the TWC update recently, this tweak seems to have disappeared from its original place! I've re-uploaded it as another attachment at bottom of post #2 instead. But some technical problem with the site seems to stop the download link from working. Moderator notified. Hopefully the issue is solved soon.

Previews of the recolour work on all special units have been moved either up to their respective clan sections above or down to individual entries in posts #2 and 3 below.

Battle standards of the Takeda clan - pic on TWC supplied by iqwerty, thank you

Flags
    The banners and sashimonos carried by the units are important for the overall appearance of the armies in S2. If the flags are two-coloured, and the units two-coloured in the same way, then the army in question is bound to look rather boring. So I've tried to make the hues and shades of the flags somewhat different from those of the uniforms. Few factions, if any, have been left completely untouched. All backgrounds in white or black, for example, have been made with more detail in the highlight and shadow, respectively, meaning that white flags will not appear as blinding white, and black banners not seem as black holes. As a rule, garish colours have been turned more natural and more appealing to the eye. All with consideration to historical sources.

Whatever the case, the goal has been to make the whole of the army look good. So if my banner mod is left out, chances are that my uniforms mod won't look as good as intended, should it mix badly with the vanilla banners or some other banner mod.

The use of banner mods might give you one problem, however, which AlCord discovered. The colour of the family crests (mons) on the flags seems to determine the colour of the bars on the campaign flags showing how many units the army contains. So if the vanilla flag is a dark-coloured mon on light-coloured background, for example, and you change the flag to the reverse, then you get flags with light-coloured bars on light-coloured background for the faction in question on the campaign map, making it difficult to tell how big the army is. This might affect the battle symbols on the big flags indicating unit types in battle mode as well. The obvious solution to this problem would be to mod those campaign map flags, too. But I don't know how to do that (yet). So you have to decide whether you can live with this drawback for the flag changes or not.

A wish list of future banner fixes for ACC has been submitted in post #332 on page 17 of this thread. If you're interested in improving this mod, please check that list out.

Noif's Flags for ACC
    NOIF'S SUBMOD
    On June 26 2012, Noif released his first submod with new flags for ACC which to some extent addresses the issues mentioned above! It uses some of my colours for sashimonos carried by the soldiers and banners carried by the standard bearers, but its prime feature is to add completely new campaign map flags and battlefield banners (the big floating ones) for certain factions. Noif has told me that he plans to increase the number of factions covered by this mod. Here's his first info screen of what it contains:
    I have recieved requests for a mod like this to be added to my ACC work from the community before and now Noif has been so kind as to step in with his own talent and provide a solution. Rep him as soon as you can for this contribution!

On 30 June 2012, Noif released an update to the mod described above. It contains changes to the mons of a few factions. The first version of his submod is thereby withdrawn from the download list and replaced by the second, "...V2".

You will find Noif's submod attached separately beneath my own banners mod below. Note that you can only use one of these banners mods for ACC at a time. So if you already have a banners mod installed and want to test another, you must first uninstall the current one.

22 March 2013 - Noif has published his third version of this submod, now adapted to the Hero Edition of ACC! It's been added to the attached files for download below. Check it out!

Note: Some people have reported problems with broken sounds and crashes when trying to use this submod. According to undead003, it may be fixed by changing its file format from "mod" to "movie" with the PFM.

Antler kabuto

Gamers' View of ACC
    Gamers who'd like to show their use of ACC in pictures, with or without other mods, and comment upon their experience of it have a place here. As I like to give up to ten different gamers a chance to do this and still keep it pretty manageable, the number of (full-sized) images from each gamer will be restricted to 3. I'll select those images from any number of them offered as alternatives by the gamers with the objective of showing the merit of ACC, but I won't touch any comment the gamers submit for being attached to those select images. The gamers and their pictures and comments are hereby presented below, in alphabetical order. Enjoy the show!

AlCord's View

Mods used: ACC 59g + Noif's banners mod for ACC + The Hedge Knight's Unit Variety Mod + Radious' mods;
    Comment: ?

Bartolomeo III's View

Mods used: ACC 59g + The Hedge Knight's Unit Variety Mod + Yarkis de Bodemloze's TROM3 + BullGod's Daimyo Mod;

Defensore's View

Mods used: ACC 59g + The Hedge Knight's Unit Variety Mod + Yarkis de Bodemloze's TROM3;

DramaBelli's View

Mods used: ACC 59h + Vastator's Unit Style + Superghostboy's mods;
    Comment:

Hazeyshot's View

Mods used: ACC 59g + The Hedge Knight's Unit Variety Mod + "Darthmod, all of superghost mods expect for blood(beta) and tweaks mods in all pictures";
    Comment: "first one was.. oda plans to wipe out the remining hojos regions!...[...]"

le_fred's View

Mods used: ACC 59g + Darth Vader's DarthMod + BullGod's Daimyo and Horse Mods + Superghostboy's Retexture and Performance Mods, last pic using the latest ACC 59h version instead of 59g;

Editor's note: le_fred has submitted so many great shots of ACC in action that he earned himself a thread of his own in the forums of DarthMod! You'd do well to head over there and see the whole package.

Noif's View

Mods used: ACC 59g + Radious' mods + Superghostboy's Realistic Gloss Mod (last shot);

razr's View

Mods used: ACC 59g + The Hedge Knight's Unit Variety Mod + ? ;

Superghostboy's View

Mods used: ACC 59g + his own Realistic Gloss Mod v.11 (?) + ?;

VENNONETES' View

Mods used: (first pic) ACC 59g uniforms + Noif's banner mod for ACC + The Hedge Knight's Unit Variety Mod + Darth Vader's DarthMod; (last two pics) ACC 59h uniforms + ? + ?
    Comments: 1st pic "Senza titolo" (Oda matchlock ashigarus).

For views without pictures of ACC, see for example posts #472, 477, 478, 481, 498, 506, 545 and 574.

Katana with saya on stand

Final notes
    Compatibility with other mods I should make a list of what other mods ACC could be combined with here. It would most likely make a very long list, and I haven't got the time to test all mods out there, but up until patch14 from CA, I had confirmation for the following (in alphabetical order):

Additional Units Mod (AUM)
    All Factions Playable In Custom Battles (AFICB)
    Japanese Speech Fix (JSF)
    Japanese Unit Names (JUN)
    Less Glossy Units Mod (LGU) (not in combination with UVM)
    Movement Speed Reduction (MSR)
    No Battlefield Border (NBB)
    No General's Visual Influence (NGI)
    No Projectile Trails (NPT)
    Reduced Reload Rate (RRR)
    Shogun 2 Realism (S2R)
    Shogun 2 Realism+ (S2R+, i.e. extended S2R)
    Unit Variety Mod (UVM)
    Yari Diversity Mod (YDM)

etc.
    With the latest patches from CA, some of these may have changed functionality with ACC.

Incompatible with ACC:

• Old versions of Noif's Boshin War Mod.
    • Radious' recoloured uniforms mod for FotS?
    • ?

Concerning permission to use ACC

You need to ask permission before using ACC in other public mods With one fellow modder never intending to honour the agreement upon which he was granted the use of ACC in his compilation and an other not bothering to ask permission (in plain language) before using ACC in his compilation (and refusing to ask the simple question even after inquiry), it seems that I need to be very clear about this. I'm under no obligation whatsoever to post anything on this site or any similar place. But I've recognized the potential for my modding work to please more people than myself. That's why I offer it here. Originally for private use only. Then a demand arose for it to be used in other public mods. Now I want to be in control of how my work is used in the public domain. The availability of ACC in this sphere is therefore limited. Permission to integrate it with other public mods is given on version basis only; if granted for one version then not necessarily for a higher version, as the situation may have changed since the first permission was given. Normally, the situation should not change, but I must put up the warning sign that one cannot take ACC for granted here. If you're a modder who cannot accept these terms, then don't seek to integrate my work with an other public mod. Attempts to do so anyway, without respecting my terms, will only result in two things: you'll be denied the (continued) use of ACC and my spirit for publishing stuff here will diminish.

So far, permission to use certain versions of ACC has been given to the following mods or modders:
    These permissions still stand. It does not necessarily mean that ACC is still used by those mods or modders, as they may have developped other needs.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR ACC 59h HERO EDITION 1. The mod files are in a compressed format. Once you download them, you need to decompress or extract them first. Use a free program like 7-zip found here to do that.
    2. The new file(s) that appears with the extraction is to be placed in the data folder of S2TW, which in the case of XP is usually found along the following directory: C:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2.
    3. Make sure you don't have any other mod of this kind (including older versions of my mod) installed simultaneously there, because it might interfere with the function of this mod or the game itself.
    4. Start the game in Steam. Wait for the mod manager window to appear.
    5. When the mod manager window appears, tick the boxes to the left of the file names for the ACC mods you want to use.
    6. Click the button at bottom of the mod manager to launch the game properly.
    7. Enjoy the new show!

Alternatively, if you cannot use the mod manager for some reason, the other way to get my mods operational is to change their file format from "mod" to "movie". In order to do that, first download the Pack File Manager found here and open each ACC mod of interest with it. Then select "Change Pack Type" from the File menu and tick "movie" instead of "mod" on the list that appears. Save, exit PFM and launch Shogun2 (with my mods in the data folder) again. Now you should see the spirit of ACC in game - provided perhaps that you have the latest CA patch25 installed, since the Hero Edition of ACC is based on that patch.

Credits Creative Assembly - of course, for making this wonderful game and leaving some possibilities to mod it to even greater heights!
    Lord Maximus
    - for his work producing the Pack File Manager without which this mod would not have been possible.
    Agostinos, sajaxom, and Zane - for their tutorials or information about how to hex code edit the colours of the units which greatly facilitated my making of this mod.
    erasmus777 - for reminding me how to pack a file.
    D. Danborg a.k.a. TomteOfDoom - for the creation of my greatest source of inspiration for this mod.
    matmohair1 - for providing me with a wealth of great concept material for this mod as shown on pages 10 and 11. In several cases, it has altered the course which this mod has taken and if you like the result, you should rep him, too.
    The Hedge Knight - for his mod enabling all factions to be played in custom battles, without which modding minor clans would have been too much trouble to consider.
    Ftmch - for his Less Glossy Units Mod 3.0 with which all pics of the recoloured units shown here have been taken (so if you think they look nice, like I do, this is partly his "fault").
    Kurisu Paifuaa - for the crucial tip that enabled me to start modding the banners properly.
    evalerio - for most of the source material regarding banners (under the signature of "Emmanuel") in this thread, originally found here.
    nmisslbrty - for the suggestion to use thumbnail images instead and thereby speed up the loading of these pic-packed pages.
    Noif - for the great initiative to provide new campaign map banners and battlefield flags as an option to my own banners mod.
    Akaie - for his little jewel of mod enabling all recoloured generals in custom battles.

Any feedback is welcome.

With this, I wish you all happy gaming with the new face and feel of S2!

Regards,

D
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 24, 2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Withholding mods pending TWC decision

Default Re: Alternative Clan Colours - Minor Factions and Special Units Part 1

MINOR FACTIONS AND SPECIAL UNITS PART 1

From the Amako to the Kuroda

Edit 7 Sept 2013: Some pics have gone missing in this post since the the site was upgraded, but at least I can finally edit it now. Will update it later.

Half of the game's non-playable factions and special units are covered in this post, the rest in the following post. The previews of them are not necessarily clear, as I like the game to decide the time of day on the battlefield and reserve some surprises for you on your own battlefields. Whatever the case, it will look better on your own comps, for technical reasons.

The recoloured objects are listed in alphabetical order.
    Greyed-out text means it's a planned task not yet started upon. Orange-coloured text means it's a task upon which work has commenced but not yet finished. Black bold text means that the work is both finished and released to the public, available as a downloadable file in the OP.

Sometimes there will be an optional recolour theme for a faction or unit available. In these cases, the required RGB values to edit my mod accordingly will be stated below one or two pics showing this alternative to the "standard edition". This in the order of armor, clothing, and details on the armor, just like given in the DB file for it. Instructions on how to enable this option are given at the end of post #3.

To see and play any of these minor factions and special units in game whenever you want, download and install the great mod for custom battles by The Hedge Knight, found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=441030.
    Or see bottom of this post.

For the general availability of the special units, however, check the info in the dedicated section for them in the OP.

Here's what you get with ACC...

AMAKO-SHI

After ACC 59h:
    Improved version of the old theme. See post #768 on page 39 for details.

After 59g:

Sources:

The warriors of the Amako clan were known to wear battle helmets of the kind seen at center of the first pic above, featuring their distinctive crescent moon symbol. The video scene is from a movie about Amako Tsunehisa, and I have based my banners for these guys on it.

I think this concept is fitting the tough Amako clan of history.

This faction was the first complete unit change - uniform + banner - in my mod project.

ANEGAKOJI-SHI
    After 59h:
    Improved version of the old theme. Definitely like them better now.

After 59g:

To leave some surprises for you on the battlefield, I won't disclose more here than that the colour theme of Anegakoji is based on this helmet (found at www.museum-quality-samurai-armor.com):

ASAI-SHI
    After 59h:
    Improved version of the old theme. Always liked this clan.

After 59g:

Theme based on Danborg's conception of these guys. I like this clan. Shown here with ToonTotalWar's Retextured Bow Mod for even more realism.

ASANO-SHI
    After 59h:
    Improved version of the old theme...
    Result if used in combination with The Hedge Knight's Unit Variety Mod 3.05 Light. But without the same gloss-reduction I normally have for previews here, due to CA's latest update for the data folder.

This based on a miniature figure
    (from www.delpradousa.com) portraying Asano Nagamasa, a pic (found at armor.allcx.com) that could be interpreted as a real life representation of an Asano samurai, and the banners carried by the army of Asano Nagashige:

ASHIKAGA-SHI
    After 59h:
    Old theme in new version with more character...
    Source:
    Note the proper Ashikaga kamon (family crest). The red sun mon on white, which vanilla features, seems have been the battlefield standard of Ashikaga Yoshiaki. I read somewhere that Toyotomi Hideyoshi adopted the Ashikaga kamon (seen in the pic above and on S2TW vanilla banners for the Toyotomi clan) after Oda Nobunaga had disposed the last Ashikaga shogun. Before that, Hideyoshi's banners were mon-free, if I have understood things correctly, with everything "merely" in plain gold.

I like the above version of the Ashikaga clan as they appear pretty elegant in these colours which seems fitting their status as the ruling clan. But I may create another version with orange armor details and lighter sand-coloured clothing as seen on the guy in the back to the left on the above pic.

The Ashikaga clan is one of the minor factions that fields a specially recoloured general in ACC, Ashikaga Haruuji...
    He looked different in 59g...

If you like him better this 59g way, ask me for the old RGB codes for the man.

ASHINA-SHI
    After 59h:
    Grittier version of the old theme.

After 59g:
    To be discovered in game.

BENKEI'S BLADES
    The name of this unit probably refers to Saito no Musashibo Benkei (1155-1189), who Wikipedia describes as a famous sohei, i.e. warrior monk, known for his great strength and loyalty. Whatever the case, CA does not portray this hero as a Buddhistic priest but a samurai with regular armor, as shown below.

Before:

In various illiustrations, Benkei is usually portrayed carrying a naginata and wearing a black coat or dark colours, like the right-hand figure on the first image or the lower figure on the second image here:

With the officer getting his uniform based on the above, I searched for something similarly dark as source for the fellow soldiers and got this:
    I will only offer a glimpse of the result here...

After 59h:

One of the coolest units I've ever made, I think.

BESSHO-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Final banner a bit different from the one seen above. Quite pleased with how they turned out, after finding this source:

Although belonging to a member of a different clan, it's the same armour theme in 100% realistic form as I had planned for the Bessho clan.

BOW HERO The outstanding archer will join anyone's army in the following outfit...

After 59h:
    But you can have him in a style with a bit more flair, if you want...

Optional 1:
    With RGB codes: 226-148-59, 67-52-27 and 112-124-116.

Or even more flair still...

Optional 2:
    With RGB codes: 226-148-59, 112-124-116 and 67-52-27.

BOW RONIN
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

This is one of my best creations, IMO. The changes have been inspired by one of the warriors seen in the scene below,
    which is said to include many ronin in the service of Toyotomi Hideyori in 1615:

BUDDHIST REBELS
    After 59h:
    Improved version of old theme.

After old 59g:

Changes made based on my associations of orange yellow and red with Buddhist type of clothing.

CHRISTIAN REBELS In the 59h, these rebels got a theme with more character, better conveying the new foreign culture - more sophisticated in some way but also colder. This idea has now been given a little tweak...

After 59i:

Source portraying a Christian samurai (from The Costume Museum in Japan)...

EUROPEAN TRADERS (PORTUGAL)
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Colour choice based on Portuguese uniforms of the period, some of which appear to have been blue and white.

GOZEN'S HIME HEROINES
    Although "gozen" is said to mean "lady" in Japanese, the name of this unit is most likely referring to aparticular lady, namely Tomoe Gozen, the famous female warrior believed to have been a concubine and captain of Minamoto no Yoshinaka in the late 12th Century. The Heroines are depicted like this in the game...

Before:

I've thought a lot back and forth about how best to portray the female warriors, known as onna bugeisha (not onna bushi) in Japan, of this particular unit, and tried many different themes. Finally decided that they'd better be based on the illustrations I had for the old onna bushi unit of the game, i.e. the paintings of Tomoe Gozen and Ishi-jo by Utagawa Toyokuni (1st pic) and Utagawa Kuniyoshi (2nd pic), shown below. I have since picked up another illustration of female warriors, a print made by Chikanobu (3rd pic), also shown below...

This has prompted me to make two versions of the unit...

After 59h:

one like veritable "Angels of Death".

The other version giving more "life" and colour to the soldiers...

Optional:

Use RGB codes 25-25-25, 77-59-60 and 150-81-77 for this.

HANZO'S SHADOWS The name of this unit refers undoubtedly to Hattori Hanzo, the well-known samurai and ninja master of the Sengoku Jidai period. This guy is already featured in the game as one of the Daimyos for the Hattori clan. So I guess that one could understand the officer of this unit to be named differently, and the name of the unit referring instead to the type of ninja training which the soldiers have gone through, their (former) special allegiance to Hanzo or something like that. In any case, they originally show up like this in game...

Before:

Now, the officer of this unit is not moddable the normal ACC way, neither is the hoods of the soldiers. Which narrows the recolour options down a bit, as I usually like the soldiers to match the officer in some respect. And the theme must convey the stealthy character of the unit's operations, yet interesting, and different from ordinary Hattori kisho ninjas, Tokugawa kisho ninjas and common kisho ninjas. I've solved the equation the following way...

After 59h:
    Ordinary Hattori kisho ninjas will appear more properly black than these Shadows in the upcoming version of ACC. Common kisho ninjas used to be all black in vanilla game but will appear in lighter shades here. For an example of this, see post #821.

HATAKEYAMA-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Created from the following source
    , a cut from a woodblock print by Utagawa Kunihisa depicting Hatakeyama Shigetada on horseback before the Battle of Takadachi:
    But the improved version of my first draft for this clan is not bad, either...

Optional:

A change in the shade of the clothing made them appear more interesting. Use 59,95,57-194,204,214-255,225,125 for this option.

HATANO-SHI
    After 59h:
    Old theme turned fully into traditional Japanese colours.

After old 59g:

Optional:

Sources:

The helmet on the pic to the right features a symbol that resembles Hatano's family crest and this has been sufficient for me to use Hatano as a representative of this type of lacquer on Japanese armor in this period.

I made the latter theme optional because it's very similar to the Ogigayatsu in ACC, as you can see from the image below (with the Ogigayatsu general at left, and the Hatano general at right):

It was hard to find a better colour in clothing for Hatano to go with that armor colour, so I stuck to it. If you're still interested in it, here are the codes: 75,54,53-248,182,129-130,116,76.

HONMA-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Not shown here, but they look pretty realistic, being based on this armor source:

HOSOKAWA-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

A faction difficult to make interesting in this game if using the colours shown on Danborg's plate. They can look rather washed out in strong flat light. The bows you see above are from ToonTotalWar's mod found here.

IMAGAWA-SHI In 59h, the old ACC theme for Imagawa was turned fully into traditional Japanese colours. This has now been improved...

After 59i:

I think this clan has the air of more authority now, just it should.

Imagawa is the second minor faction to feature a recoloured general in ACC. In fact, they've got two of them:
    Imagawa Yoshimoto and Imagawa Ujichika. I worked out the theme for the former from an image provided by matmohair1 (thank you). Here's how he appears in 59h:
    For Ujichika, you'll have to wait until you start up your own game, and find this guy perhaps looking even better.

IMPORTED MATCHLOCK ASHIGARUS
    This unit previously got its uniform colour from whatever colour the faction had that hired it. In ACC, they've been given a unique uniform of their own.

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g (in service of the Imagawa and Shimazu clans, respecctively):

ISHIDA-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Inspirational sources:
    The latter pic was found at www.eastofindia.com and shows a samurai of the Ishida clan in the middle, and I took the flag idea from there to get some variety here. The former pic was provided by matmohair1 - thank you very much. Note the appearance of the ashigaru standing behind Ishida Mitsunari (the sitting daimyo in orange armor and huge flat horns on his helmet) to the left.

I really like how this clan came out and it's a pity that we cannot play them in the campaign.

Mitsunari is present in ACC in the following shape:

ITO-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Inspiration:

The source did not specify the clan to which this suit of armor belonged, but the crescent kamon shown was used by the Ito, and that's good enough for me (even though other clans may have used the same kamon).

There's a question about the mon due partly to the following source, which shows the army banners of Ito Sukeyoshi:
    Apparently the vanilla crescent mon is correct during some period of this era, but I don't know which one. The mon alternative shown on the source above looks pretty good in game. The trouble is, both the Honma and Hosokawa clans use the same type of mon, only in different colours, and the Tsutsui clan has something very similar. Even if different clans were known to have the same type of mon in some cases, variation is nice, too. If you still prefer that other mon, write "honma" instead of "ito" in the column for mon designations in my banner mod.

Either way, the Ito now looks like a really troublesome neighbour to the Shimazu.

JINBO-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:
    Not
    disclosed here, but they look pretty tough.

KATANA HERO
    After 59h:
    Old theme turned fully into traditional Japanese colours.

After old 59g
    (in the service of Takeda):

Yes, theme was inspired by CA's intro movie for S2. I worked very long on a different idea with yellow armor, as this was sometimes given by the lord as a mark of honor to samurai who showed courage in battle, but I never seemed to get the shade right. So I switched to red armor and had it in three attempts.

KATANA RONIN
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Like these guys better than the first version of them found in 31d. Might inspire a unit stats modder to make them as tough as they look.
    With inspiration found in this woodblock print by Utagawa Kuniyoshi, which depicts Miyamoto Musashi, the famous ronin said to be one of the greatest fighters of all time:

KIKKAWA-SHI
    After 59h:
    Turned the optional version in 59g to standard...

Source is this real suit of armor...
    The symbols on the helmet suggest Kikkawa origin. But the other version creates more variety in the whole clan spectrum...

After 59g (formerly standard, now optional):

RGB codes: 28-23-36, 136-102-116 and 196-129-112.

Basically inspired by the following,
    a miniature figure (from www.delpradousa.com) portraying Kikkawa Motoharu, and the banners carried by his army, which were taken over by his son, Kikkawa Hiroie:
    Figured the mon better in black to emulate that black and white striped pattern a bit rather than keeping to the vanilla blue mon or introducing red here.

KISHO NINJAS A unit previously uneditable the normal ACC way, but now accessible. Consequently...

After 59h:
    Made a bit brighter than vanilla, as I want the Hattori counterpart to appear darker than common kisho ninjas.

KISO-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Source:

There are several clans that used the "Kobayakawa mon" seen on the helmet, but I found this armor of unknown origin suiting the Kiso.

KITABATAKE-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

I find them appearing a bit tougher than the...

Optional:

The optional theme is derived from
    a type of armor lacquer seen here (pic supplied by hardcore knight, thank you):
    You can get that second lacquer to show in game by using the codes of 148,93,72-120,99,82-81,118,147 in the proper place.

KIYOMASA'S KATANA CAVALRY I'm assuming here that the name refers to Kato Kiyomasa, one of the better known generals of the Warring States period in Japan. He does have special armor textures tucked away in the file base of Shogun2, so even CA deems him important, but I don't know when or if the game ever makes him show up somewhere. In any case, the officer seen below does not wear those armor textures...

Before:

It's not difficult to find illustrations of Kato Kiyomasa out there, but as basis for my recolour work I chose one made by Kunichika, which is similar to another illustration of this general:

And in an other illustration here we see Kato Kiyomasa's men in action...
    Which led me to the below...

After 59h:

This unit really comes into its own at dusk or dawn as some sort of "Kiyomasa's Shadows", shadows of blackness, similar to my Benkei's Blades above but still special in all respects. I think you'll like them on your side. For a little more taste of them, check the spoiler addition in post #817. Hopefully I can mod the officer to wear the same type of spectacular armor as Kato Kiyomasa did some time in the future.

KOBAYAKAWA-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

The source for this uniform idea is the attire many of Kobayakawa Hideaki's soldiers wore in BBC's documentary Shogun: Heroes & Villains. This clan is known to having changed sides in the midst of the Battle of Sekigahara, which decided the outcome of that battle and the history books of Japan. I think the above theme sort of represent a character that makes this plausable - without hindering a more honourable path in capable hands, either.

My first idea for this clan came from the following illustration (provided by Matmohair1, thanks again, man) which shows
    Kobayakawa Takakage in kneeling position:
    I've kept it available as...

Optional:

Codes: 115,62,53-246,224,174-8,69,126. On a sunny day, the bow cavalry of these guys look pretty awesome when firing flaming arrows. To return to the vanilla banners also, check the vanilla files for the mon and ties, but you may want to use 230,230,230 for the white background in order to keep the glare down.

Hideaki is the last general from a minor faction that has been recoloured in ACC:

KONO-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Definitely a side with more character now.

KURODA-SHI
    After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

The Kuroda look like a force to be reckoned with in this way, as they should.
    Sources:
    The armor shown above is said to have been worn by a daimyo of the Kuroda clan.

Now the following plate (supplied by matmohair1 again) suggests a different theme for this clan:

I've interpreted it as...

Optional 1:

Codes: 99,63,54-115,140,122-93,123,147.

But the very first theme I created for this clan is still good for...

Optional 2:

Source for that:
    Use 182,188,180-209,212,148-66,70,111.

Additional mods
    My own mod solution for playing all S2 factions in custom battles (built from scratch from patch7) features corrected faction icons in the selection menu (greatly thanks to Anton93), slightly different selection (to remove the risk of CTD's), and some new vanilla units enabled, including the Onna Bushi and The Black Ship. The latter part of this tweak will conflict with some other mods out there messing with the same table, so if you get into any functional trouble because of it, you'll have to decide which mod you prefer using (or delete one of these tables in the conflicting mods). This little mod of mine is attached below.

As of 29 August 2012, as more or less promised, I can finally offer a new mod of this sort that incorporates the clans of the Rise of the Samurai DLC. It contains the same features as the first mod, but now for both S2 and RotS, based on the latest patch23. The selection menu in custom battles thereby grows to appear like this:
    I haven't tested all factions presented here, but it seems to be working as it should. Let me know if anything appears out of order. I'll keep the old variant downloadable here for those who don't need the extra DLC function and file size on their comps.

Install as before, by downloading it, extracting it, and dropping the extracted file in the data folder

Before anyone asks, I've refrained from adding the factions from the Fall of the Samurai in this mod because I've not bought that DLC and probably never will, and adding them would thereby be a service I did blindly, without being able to check how it works. But you can easily enable those factions yourself by editing the new mod I've provided here. If you're unsure how to do it, just PM me for instructions.

PS. Thanks to DramaBelli, I have discovered that Akaie's little jewel of mod enabling all recoloured generals to be recruitable in custom battles has disappeared from the place it was submitted earlier! Probably after the recent update for TWC as a whole, whcih has made other things disappear. First attempt to upload it here again did not work for some reason. Will make another attempt later.

Last edited by Demokritos; December 23, 2016 at 12:00 PM.

Default Re: Alternative Clan Colours - Minor factions and Special Units Part 2

You won't see action like this until you've downloaded the complete version of ACC.

From the Matsuda to the Yamanouchi

See post #2 for more info about this section.

Instructions on how to edit my uniforms and banners mod are found at the end of this post.

MATSUDA-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

One of my absolute favourites. I think you'll understand why this is so more clearly when you see this clan with your own eyes in game.

S
    ource used:

MIYOSHI-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Compared to the earlier ACC version, the green clothing has been tuned down to a more pleasing shade.

MOGAMI-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

This clan appears more powerful now.

MURAKAMI-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

With inspiration from a pic of a Murakami general in game. Found them looking more interesting this way. If you don't agree...

Optional:

RGB codes: 16-12-16, 108-118-127, 94-114-159.

Based on the following illustration of the banners carried by the army of
    Murakami Takeyoshi:

NAGINATA WARRIOR MONK HERO
    Before (in the service of Ogigayatsu):

After 59h (in the service of Ashikaga):
    Inspired by...

OGIGAYATSU-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

The idea for the above uniform came from the Ogigayatsu being a branch of the Uesugi and the latter rather often being portrayed with green and other warm-coloured details on their outfits. With an earlier version of the Uesugi being based on a different concept, I thought it OK to let the Ogigayatsu adopt the warm-coloured theme. I quite like the result.

ONNA BUSHI
    In the vanilla game, these fighting ladies take on the same colours as the faction they belong to. In ACC, they've been given a unique appearance.

After 59h:
    New theme and favourite of mine...
    Really like seeing these ladies in action.

Now, I've got three alternatives for the officer of this unit here. The first to be discovered ín game, the second...

Optional 1:
    With RGB codes: 87-107-108, 248-244-230, 245-211-107.

And the third might be interesting if you like to use the optional theme for the soldiers in the Gozen's Hime Heroine unit, in which case the normal theme for them can be moved to...

Optional 2:
    Using RGB codes: 27-22-23, 57-57-57, 234-224-213.

I might provide a fourth alternative for officer later, one clad in sky blue or turquoise blue.

OUCHI-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

I've dusted off my first interpretation of Danborg's conception of the Ouchi, and refined it a bit. Note the new light blue ties on the banners. It makes the whole look closer to their correct flags and somehow perhaps more special, more Ouchi, in line with their rating as one of the strongest clans in 1545, stronger than the Mori and the Takeda. The downside is a certain likeness to the ACC Toyotomi, but the latter don't show up in the vanilla campaign, as far as I know. Another downside is that I'd like to have the old ACC standard green clothing and orange armor details featured in my mod somewhere. But this will be available with slightly improved armor as..

Optional:

Code: 15-15-30, 93-119-72, 201-63-23. Inspirational sources here:
    The first pic was posted by one Kagemusha at www.samurai-archives.com. Note the soldiers at the bottom of the image walking beside the horses in green clothing. The second image was posted by matmohair1 - much oblige! - and shows, among other things, a commander of the Ouchi army, probably a retainer, in splendid armor being attacked on board his ship.

SAGARA-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Not disclosed here (a "surprise" preferably discovered in the campaign) (well, it should no longer be a surprise, as I've disclosed it; yes, I did - elsewhere).

SAITO-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

The recolour work was based on this figure said to depict Saito Dosan, a daimyo of the Sengoku period who was known as the "Serpent of Mino":
    But paintings portraying Saito clan members often show them wearing clothes in various shades of red and green, like this woodblock print by Utagawa Yoshiiko that depicts Saito Toshitsugu:
    So I made a variant in these colours...

Optional:

Code for this: 175-64-53. 145-170-130, 61-64-92; the darker crest is attained using 67-79-145.

It looks really good in game, but I kept the first theme as standard because there may be too few clans with blue armor otherwise.

SAKAI-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Sources:
    One of my favourite clans. Period.

SATAKE-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    The optional in 59g turned standard...

Definite source for this theme is a painting that depicts Satake Yoshinobu...
    Former standard therefore turned...

Optional:

Code:
    208-104-92, 69-69-79, 97-131-166.

SATOMI-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Inspired by these images of Japanese armor (pics supplied by hardcore knight, thank you very much)...

Don't know to which clan the owner of this armor used to belong, but the outfit looks very close to Danborg's conception of the Satomi.

SEIGEN'S SWORDMASTERS
    Toda Seigen was a renowned swordsman during the Sengoku Jidai period in Japan, a master of the Chūjō-ryu style of sword fighting, excelling in the kodachi art, according to Wikipedia. The unit seen below may refer to that guy...

Before:

I have not managed to find an illustration of Toda Seigen so far, but masters of sword fighting schools in Japan tend to dress in a very modest or monastic way, as if having no desire to reveal their status or skills. This is in line with my belief that strong men do not need to show their strength to others; their confidence is not based upon what others think of them. And in a fight, being underestimated is a real advantage in its own right, as it gives room for a decisive surprise attack. So a master of sword fighting should appear far less flamboyant in dressing style than most other warriors of the time. So I have tried to give the officer of this unit a very simple-looking uniform and the soldiers slightly more "bling". It has not been easy to find a solution to this equation without them appearing just plain boring. That's why they took the longest time to finish.

As inspiration for the officer, I had this statue of another founder of a sword fighting style of the time (Yagyu Munenori)...
    For the not-quite-so-modest soldiers, I emulated the style of the following authentic armor...
    The result...

After 59h:

Another pic is available on page 43. This will do until the next update.

SHONI-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

These came out pretty good, IMO. As if they could become a big obstacle to any conqueror's plan. It's a recolour idea based on this dragon armor of unknown clan from the Edo Period...

SOGO-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Not disclosed here (a "surprise" preferably discovered in the campaign)...other than that I've tried to make something out of this outfit:

STANDARD REBELS
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

They should look like a rather rough crew, pretty dirty and all, right? I'm looking forward to meet these guys...

TADAKATSU'S TETSUBO WARRIORS The most well-known Tadakatsu from this period and place is probably Honda Tadakatsu. This guy were described by prominent contemporary men like Oda Nobunaga as a "samurai among samurai" or other words to same effect, and the man's reported to have survived dozens of battles without serious wound, never defeated by another samurai. So I assume that this unit refers to him. The appearance is not that bad in vanilla game...

Before:

But Honda Tadakatsu is usually portrayed in far darker colours and real armor said to have belonged to him is in fact almost completely black, as the following images show...

I've tried to find a theme for the soldiers that goes well with an officer of such dark appearance, and also with the other hero units, which I would have liked to be a mixture of interesting colours. But I have given up on the latter variety score. Now almost all of them turned out really dark. First version shown in this thread was discarded in favor of one with even darker armor, which accentuates their toughness. These guys can charge various enemy missile troops several times their number and yet come up on top of them...

After 59h:

Now I like them.

TAKAOKA-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    Improved version of old theme.

After old 59g:

Inspired by this:

But there's an other idea in Akira Kurosawa's movie Kagemusha, where one of the generals surrounding Takeda Shingen wore a coat with Takaoka's family mon, although I have no other indication that this general in fact represented Takaoka. So that theme will be available as...

Optional:

Code: 71-36-31, 146-159-164, 92-124-94.

THE SPEARS OF SHIZUGATAKE The "Seven Spears of Shizugatake" were mounted members of Toyotomi Hideyoshi's bodyguard who won fame in the Battle of Shizugatake in 1583, and subsequently, as a rule, rose to higher positions in the society. One of them was Kato Kiyomasa, who eventually became Daimyo himself. In vanilla game, they don't look that special...

Before:

Two other Spears from that battle, Katagiri Katsumoto and Fukushima Masanori, have been portrayed like this...

I'm using one of these portraits as inspiration for the officer of the unit. I should use the latter, since he rose to higher prominence after the battle, but the former is dressed in a way that goes better with the soldiers. Because as basis for how the soldiers appear, I have this image (provided my matmohair1, thanks again, mate)...
    This is an illustration of Toyotomi Hideyoshi's Horse Guards as they might have looked in 1582. The text that accompanies this image does not indicate their armor being golden, so I've interpreted it as the more common yellow armor for distinguished samurais. The result on a bleak Autumn day in game is shown below...

After 59h:

I think they look pretty special now.

TOKITAKA'S TANEGASHIMA The first Japanese ruler to recieve (snap) matchlocks from the Portuguese was apparently the lord of Tanegashima island, Tanegashima Tokitaka (1528-79), who ordered the new weapons copied, and these firearms eventually spread and became known throughout Japan as tanegashima. The hero unit for S2 wielding such matchlocks is normally depicted rather colourfully as below...

Before:

As idea for a less colourful look of the officer, I used this photo of a re-enactment warrior taking a shot in a Tanegashima festival in Japan...

Tried many different ideas for the soldiers but, but to go with the above, I eventually settled for one based on a old photo in my possession showing a reproduction of armor worn by a member of the Saika-Shu clan, which was known for its use and skill with firearms, and often faught as mercenaries for other warlords...
    This came out...

After 59h:

Not fully satisfied with the theme for these guys, but it will do for the time being. For another pic example, see post #819.

TOYOTOMI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

I was inspired by...
    The banners shown separately are those used by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, one of Japan's three "great unifiers". It's said that they were of plain gold and displayed no kamon until Oda Nobunaga deposed the last Ashikaga shogun. Then Hideyoshi adopted the Ashikaga mon for his own. For banners to this clan, I therefore decided to use plain, mon-free, and gold-like flags with the future mon only hinted at.

Thanks to matmohair1, I also got a wealth of ideas with black armor for this clan. I've tested several of them, but I have not yet found a working concept along this line which is not too similar to the ideas for other clans.

TSUTSUI-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Departed from my first draft for this clan due to the following:

Note the symbols on the helmet which are associated with the Tsuitsui clan. But this armor is very similar to my new Murakami or old Sakai uniforms, so you may want to use...

Optional:

Code: 30-25-29, 249-251-237, 0-142-175; to get the mon red like that, enter 0-0-153 in the appropriate place. Which is an improved version of my earlier idea.

Inspirational source for that is the figure to the left here:

I know of at least one other clan that used the type of mon seen here on the helmet, so it may not portray the Tsutsui, but I liked the idea of having one faction in pure white clothing. This theme bears some resemblance to those of the Hosokawa or European traders made earlier for ACC.

UKITA-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Not disclosed here
    ; but I got the thematic idea for them from this Edo period screen that depicts the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600:

The Ukita are the troops in the middle of the screen carrying flags with white characters on a strong blue field.

URAKAMI-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

The hue of the mon seen here is an improvement from the 20c edition. I like this clan better and better.

The tree mon which CA gave this clan is actually more associated with the Honda clan, and a more correct mon for the former seems to be the one depicted on Danborg's illustration of this clan, an open fan. Unfortunately, such a mon is not available in this game's librairy of mons, not even one resembling it, so I couldn't switch it for something else. But I still decided to recolour it as suggested in the OP, as I don't know enough to depart from this idea after all.

UTSUNOMIYA-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Note the new crest, which is the more correct one according to the samurai archives here. In uniforms, I
    wanted something less cheerful than my first idea for these guys, and based the change on the following...
    This particular armor was probably worn by a member from a different clan, but, as explained earlier, the troops of this time and place were largely left with their own ideas for equipment. The result was armies looking very similar, except for the banners they carried (sometimes these were similar, too). I'm using this fact to the advantage of Utsunomiya here, which is a clan not featured in the campaign after all (just as there are many not featured in the game at all).

WAKO PIRATES
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

?

They look more like pirates now, IMHO.

Theme partly inspired by the following illustration of a wako band in China (supplied by matmohair1, thank you)...
    If you don't like this variety among the Wako pirates, you can delete all entries for them in the uniform_to_faction_colours table of my mod. They will then appear like this:

This latter appearance is already set for the katana soldiers in ACC 59g, though.

WARRIOR NUNS
    Before (in the service of the Saito):

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

Aft
    er 59g:

Note: Only the tops for these ladies are editable.

YAMANA-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Quite different from the rest. Suggesting a tradition of strong independence. Change based on this suit of armor of unknown clan association...

YAMANOUCHI-SHI
    Before:

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

Source:

This is a miniature replica of the armor purportedly worn by Yama(n)ouchi Kazutoyo, a man who came to serve all three great unifiers of Japan and hold possessions in various provinces as rewards for his services. Although the mon seen here is the same as the one for the faction concerned in this game, Kazutoyo appears to be of a different clan than the Yamanouchi branch of the Uesugi featured in the game. But I discovered this too late, and decided to keep his armor theme for the latter clan anyway, since I had no other idea for it and the armies of this place and period generally appeared very similar. I can also blame CA for apparently mistaking the mon for the Yamanouchi branch of the Uesugi to be that of Kazutoyo's clan.

YARI HERO
    Before (in the service of ACC Ogigayatsu):

After 59h (in the service of Chosokabe):
    Kept the uniform idea in vanilla for this hero, but changed everything to shades in traditional Japanese colours more pleasing to the eye, IMO.

YARI RONIN
    Before (in the service of the Uesugi):

After 59h:
    No change from 59g.

After 59g:

?

Idea came from the units card in S2 for these fellows. Switched to this as standard because the old theme might have been too similar to some other factional themes. If you don't mind this, however, switch back to...

Optional:

RGB-codes: officer 113-33-0, 205-179-139, 238-213-210; soldier 98-38-5, 205-179-139, 250-240-230; standard bearer 94-38-5, 182-163-127, 245-238-221. An improved version of the first theme.

All inspired from...

The illustration is said to depict the courtyard of Osaka Castle where the men of Toyotomi Hideyori have gathered before taking on the attacking Tokugawa clan in 1615. In the background are supposedly many ronin in the service of the Toyotomi clan and I used the reddish-brown armor with brownish yellow clothing idea in different shades here for my optional yari ronin. But the result is similar to ACC's outfit for the Chosokabe's clan. That's why I made the other theme as standard.

YORITOMO'S YABUSAME CAVALRY "Yabusame" refers to a certain traditional art of mounted archery in Japan. It originated in the Kamakura period by the shogun Minamoto no Yoritomo (12th Century). The latter is therefore probably the reason behind the name "Yoritomo's X...". CA has the unit looking like below...

Before:

For an historical image of Minamoto no Yoritomo, however, we have this (mounted figure)...

And featured in an article about yabusame is this painting:
    Resulting in...

After 59h (in the service of Anegakoji):

HOW TO EDIT ACC THE EASY WAY

I'm using a hex code editor for my work. The use of hex codes makes testing different colours and keeping notes of the changes easier. But the following way may be easier if you want to edit something in ACC.

Tool needed: the Pack File Manager (PFM). Download it from
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=433370. Don't forget the hotfix for it.

How to revert a given clan back to vanilla colours;
    1. Use PFM to open the lastest patch.pack from CA in the data folder (which currently, as of 25 February 2012, is patch14.pack).

2. Click the + sign to the left of the db section.
    3. Scroll down to the faction_uniform_colours_tables, expand that entry and then mark the table of faction_uniform_colours. Then a table appears in the right part of PFM. All clans in the game are listed there.
    4. Find the factions you want the vanilla values for and then note down the figures for them in all nine columns named "R1", "G1", "B1", "R2" etc here.
    5. Once you've done that, use the PFM to open my mod. Open up the same table here.
    6. Now go to the File menu at the top left corner of PFM and untick "CA Packs Are read Only": This used to be a necessary step in order to be able to edit mods for older TW games, but It seems no longer to be the case. To be on the safe side, however, do it here as well.
    7. Find the clans in question on the list to the right and enter the vanilla values for those factions in the same order you saw them stated before. In other words, you enter the first of the three RGB values needed for the armor in the column named "R1", the second value in the column named "G1", and the third under "B1", then the three RGB values for the clothing in the same manner under "R2", "G2" and "B2" etc.
    8. Once you've re-entered the vanilla values for the factions you want, set the file back to "CA Packs Are Read Only".
    9. Save, and exit PFM.
    10. Start up the game anew - voíla, your own version of ACC!

How to use the optional recolour theme for a given clan:

1. Use PFM to open my mod.
    2. Click the + sign to the left of the db section.
    3. Scroll down to the faction_uniform_colours_tables, expand that entry and then mark the table of faction_uniform_colours. Then a table appears in the right part of PFM. All clans in the game are listed there.
    4. Go to the File menu at the top left corner of PFM and untick "CA Packs Are read Only".
    5. Find the faction you want to use the optional values for on the list to the right.
    6. Insert the nine RGB values for the optional set in the nine columns named R1-B3, like described in the decription how to revert back to the vanilla colours above.
    7. Set the file back to "CA Packs Are Read Only".
    8. Save, and exit PFM.
    9. Start up the game anew - voíla, your own version of ACC!

How to remove the uniform theme of a given recoloured unit:

1. Open up my uniforms mod with PFM.
    2. Find and select the DB file called "uniforms_to_faction_colours".
    3. Find the entry or Uniform IDRef of the unit in question in the list that has appeared to the right.
    4. Click on the empty greyish box to the left of its Uniform IDRef; this will mark the whole row for this unit, and highlight it in blue.
    5. Hit the delete button, so that this row disappears.
    6. Save and exit.
    7. If you've done this for an Oda ashigaru unit, for example, this unit will now revert back to its normal ACC theme, which has purple armor details. Note that many units have the officer, soldiers and standard bearer individually recoloured, so you may have to delete up to three rows to return a given unit to normal ACC appearance.

How to edit my banner mod:

Proceed in a similar manner as for my uniforms mod above. There are three things to note here, however.
    Firstly, the colour values are given in the reverse order from normal, i.e. the codes for the blue spectrum (B-columns) come first, then those for green (G-columns), and lastly those for red (R-columns). So if you want to use the colour of chili powder, which has the RGB code of 199-63-23, for example, you must enter it in the order of 23-63-199.

Secondly, the colour designating columns come in the order of mon, background and ties (one set of B-, G- and R-columns, i.e. three columns, each). The last of these sets of columns, i.e. the one for the ties, are placed after two columns named "Unknown".

Thirdly, the mons are determined by the designation listed in the second column from the left named "Unknown". So if you want to use the optional mon for the Ito, for example, then you replace the original "ito" with "honma" there.
    Last edited by Demokritos; January 30, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Default Re: Alternative Clan Colours - 09a

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that art with the clan colors was created by one of TWC's own for the mod "Ran No Jidai" for RTW. But I'm glad someone found it to create clan colors for Shogun2. I'll be looking forward to this.

brilliant

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Nice mod mate +reps

Thanks for the feedback, fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Akatora View Post
    I believe that art with the clan colors was created by one of TWC's own for the mod "Ran No Jidai" for RTW. But I'm glad someone found it to create clan colors for Shogun2. I'll be looking forward to this.
    Really? Impressive work by that someone, I say! Would you happen to know who it was and the sources he or she used?

I found the pic by googling for Japanese clan colours or something, I don't remember the exact search terms. I did not find at TWC or www.totalwar.com.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

very nice mod =D.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

You can look at the clan colors at the Ran No Jidai mod, its released actually, some concept images are still around in the first pages of the sub forum under Rome Total War hosted mods sub forum.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Brips's Avatar Ducenarius

Good job!
    You need to make the Shimazu torso armor green... I read probs of coloring, but there is black, not simply dark

Banners too in project?
    Last edited by Brips; April 15, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
    All map textures improved mod(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=395355
    Real crazy medieval music (4pages!):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389092
    More war horn sounds(MTW2,DLV)!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=229015
    More Loading screens MEGA pack Team!(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389893
    Mods Oblivion and Fallout3:
    Tape "Brips" on nexus then go to author name "Brips".

Quote Originally Posted by Brips View Post
    Good job!
    You need to make the Shimazu torso armor green... I read probs of coloring, but there is black, not simply dark

Banners too in project?
    You mean their armor was green with black details and not the other way around as I have made it here? Interesting idea.

Brips's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    You mean their armor was green with black details and not the other way around as I have made it here?
    The front armor (torso) is green metal (in game black) It's on your picture
    All map textures improved mod(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=395355
    Real crazy medieval music (4pages!):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389092
    More war horn sounds(MTW2,DLV)!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=229015
    More Loading screens MEGA pack Team!(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389893
    Mods Oblivion and Fallout3:
    Tape "Brips" on nexus then go to author name "Brips".

Well I can't change the way the colours are distributed across the uniform without going into actual retexturing the units, and I have neither the tools, money or time to do that properly. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    You can look at the clan colors at the Ran No Jidai mod, its released actually, some concept images are still around in the first pages of the sub forum under Rome Total War hosted mods sub forum.
    Thanks for this reference. I'll check those guys up.
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 15, 2011 at 02:19 PM.

AlCord's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Alternative Clan Colours - version 09a

What the? That is awsome dude

Nice mod.
    I think Oda should have a more bluish armor though.
    Like this one >

More at here: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/miniature_p...hive/2010/3/22

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Interesting! Must looking foward with this on this weekend!

Holy SHITtakke mushrooms, LOVE the Chosokabe and Uesugi colouring ,I LOVE em' all, great work. I always wanted to play as the Uesugi but I always thought there purple attire was fugly. Theres something about color that attracts,I hope it ain't a "female" trait hahahaaha. Mahalo (thanks) for this and thanks for PM-ing me about this too,appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wind View Post
    Nice mod.
    I think Oda should have a more bluish armor though.
    Like this one >

More at here: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/miniature_p...hive/2010/3/22
    Thanks for your input, Wind! Yes, I've seen those "toy figures" and saved some pics of them on my comp. I think their armor depicted here is usually either black with blue details, black with brown details or brown with blue details. Here's an example of more brown in an "Oda ashigaru camp"...

Most of those figures have blue shirts and brownish orange pants, but in this game you can't have the colours distributed like that and when you have to choose only one of them for clothing, the result is quite different. All blue? All brownish orange? All red from the pants in the above pic?

And then we have this...

Said to be an accurate reproduction of samurai armor worn by Oda Nobunaga's clan in the Sengoku period. But I did not find blue details on black armor looking good together with yellow clothing in this game and if I was to stick to yellow clothing according to Danborg's plate and, more importantly perhaps, keep the Oda from looking too similar to other clans, primarily the Date, I had to abandon that idea. But, like I stated in the OP, I will work on a different version that abandons yellow clothing. We'll see what the result is then. I suspect the result will be the current version being moved down to post #3.
    Last edited by Demokritos; April 15, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, fellas.

Really? Impressive work by that someone, I say! Would you happen to know who it was and the sources he or she used?

I found the pic by googling for Japanese clan colours or something, I don't remember the exact search terms. I did not find at TWC or www.totalwar.com.
    You can ask Tomte of Doom if he's still around. He did a lot of great artwork for Ran no Jidai, unfortunately this was a long time ago so most of them are not up anymore. You can see some of it on this page. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t=33719&page=3

Page 1 of 58 12345678910112651 ... LastLast