Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: How to create a custom unit in Pack File Manager

Sartius Thor's Avatar Laetus
    Bosnia and Hercegovina Visoko the city of piramids

Default Re: How to create a custom unit in Pack File Manager

Noob question.How do i install the mod when i make it?do i just put it in the data file cuz i tried that and the unit doesnt show up in the game i did everything correctly and checked it twice.btw also before this problem i did manage to get it to work but the unit had no portrait I culdnt recruit them on the campaign map.The unit was there in the custom battle screen and i could play with them but they were pink 4some reason.HELP PLS!!!

scope2007's Avatar Civis

I have followed this tutorial to the letter - twice, and so far I have not been able to get my custom unit in game or even visible in custom battle

I can't figure out where I am going wrong.

I am using PFM 1.7.5 to create my pack files... one strange thing I have noticed however is that when I save the packfile, the icon has a small padlock on it? Checked the file properties and it is not read only...

Anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by scope2007 View Post
    I am using PFM 1.7.5 to create my pack files... one strange thing I have noticed however is that when I save the packfile, the icon has a small padlock on it? Checked the file properties and it is not read only...

Anyone have any ideas?
    It may have to do with the mod loading mechanism, I'm not entirely certain of the details though.
    Did you add your mod to your user_script file?
    Try saving your pack as a movie pack type, I think those don't require an entry to be loaded.

You can't change the pack type with PFM 1.7.5 though, I uploaded 1.7.6 with a fix for that yesterday (that might actually be what's causing it in the first place).
    I don't know what you mean with a padlock, you mean in Windows Explorer? Don't know what that could mean.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

scope2007's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    It may have to do with the mod loading mechanism, I'm not entirely certain of the details though.
    Did you add your mod to your user_script file?
    Try saving your pack as a movie pack type, I think those don't require an entry to be loaded.

You can't change the pack type with PFM 1.7.5 though, I uploaded 1.7.6 with a fix for that yesterday (that might actually be what's causing it in the first place).
    I don't know what you mean with a padlock, you mean in Windows Explorer? Don't know what that could mean.
    Yes the padlock is in windows explorer, but I have managed to work around my problem.

Looks like it was the pack type. As 1.7.5 wouldn't let me change the pack file to a movie format, I extracted the contents, copied a packfile for a mod which worked - and deleted its contents. Added my files and renamed the packfile.

Working fine now

I will get the lastest update for PFM though - thanks for the heads up

Your Tutorial worked very well for me thx. But i have an problem now. I made a Hero-Imba-Cheating Unit ^^ but when they are getting near enemy Soldiers the enemy starts fleeing immediate. My Units have 0 Charge Bonus and the enemy is still runnig it doesnt matter if the enemy has Hero Units, Samurais or Ashigaru every Units starts running. Somebody knows this problem and know how to fix it?

If you allow me, i have a question about the permissions units for a faction. I want to be able of recruit my custom unit just in Hojo clan in this case a custom unit of Onna bugeishas, i'm using like base the AUM_SHO mod. For example:

UnitIDref__________________FactionIDref__________unknown
    aum_Inf_Heavy_Onna_Bushi_________hojo___________False
    aum_Inf_Heavy_Onna_Bushi_hojo____hojo___________ True

I doubt about this. I tried launch the game with those parametres but the game freeze in the shogun 2 logo without warning. Anything useful about how fix it?

EDIT: Ok, i fixed it. Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Mudora; December 17, 2011 at 07:19 AM.

I have a question - I made some archer geisha girls and they appear in the game, work, etc, but in battle, only one rank was firing.

The question: Is there some place where I set how many ranks fire at the enemy? Did the others not fire because they couldn't see (why couldn't they see the enemy)? Was it just a graphical glitch? I had some ashigaru archers and all of their ranks were shooting.

This has me a bit concerned about the archer miko I made as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyal View Post
    I have a question - I made some archer geisha girls and they appear in the game, work, etc, but in battle, only one rank was firing.

The question: Is there some place where I set how many ranks fire at the enemy? Did the others not fire because they couldn't see (why couldn't they see the enemy)? Was it just a graphical glitch? I had some ashigaru archers and all of their ranks were shooting.

This has me a bit concerned about the archer miko I made as well.

I don't know what it was but I moved them and then they all started firing - kinda (it was all helter-skelter LOL), but they were at least firing.

Though it still happens sometimes, but I guess that's just the way the mechanics are.

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsault View Post
    Your Tutorial worked very well for me thx. But i have an problem now. I made a Hero-Imba-Cheating Unit ^^ but when they are getting near enemy Soldiers the enemy starts fleeing immediate. My Units have 0 Charge Bonus and the enemy is still runnig it doesnt matter if the enemy has Hero Units, Samurais or Ashigaru every Units starts running. Somebody knows this problem and know how to fix it?
    Does your super cheat unit have the "Scares Enemy" trait? Check the table unit_stats_land to see what special abilities your unit has.

Quote Originally Posted by scope2007 View Post

Anyone have any ideas?
    To solve that problem I just cut the pack from the data folder and paste to my desktop then drag it back to the data folder again and the lock goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sartius Thor View Post
    Noob question.How do i install the mod when i make it?do i just put it in the data file cuz i tried that and the unit doesnt show up in the game i did everything correctly and checked it twice.btw also before this problem i did manage to get it to work but the unit had no portrait I culdnt recruit them on the campaign map.The unit was there in the custom battle screen and i could play with them but they were pink 4some reason.HELP PLS!!!
    Once you put your mod pack file into the data folder you need to use the Mod Manager to load the mod OR you can manually add your mod file to the script file. You must type the file name into the script file EXACTLY or else it won't load.

The script file is located in the folder C:/ Users/ [PC Name]/ App Data/ Roaming/ The Creative Assembly/ Shogun 2/ Scripts
    Your script file should read:
    mod "your mod's name";
    Last edited by Hazbones; January 06, 2012 at 01:55 AM.

Nice tutorial

Hollownerox's Avatar Laetus

I also have the same problem as Lionsault, I happened to make an uber powerful Ninja unit just for kicks, but whenever it goes near the enemy they start running away. To be precise it says the units are scared of my unit in their status boxes. Also my unit does not have the "Scares Enemy" trait, I checked and it read false, anybody know what to do?

Try to lower the morale a tad. I think if the uber unit has too high morale they will break the enemy just by looking at them! lol

I'm still new at this but I was editing the text description for one of my units and I manage to get the name of my unit to show up in game but the description didn't change. I checked the string name and everything was fine, I just copied and replace the name with my units name and I checked the description too. I still can't figure out why it didn't change. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm trying to create a new ranged unit and after numerous times of just copying and retyping, they wind up using only their melee weapon. Is there a file that's responsible for ranged units?

Hi all im new to TW series and to modding stuff in general. I followed this tutorial fully but instead i chose to create "brand new" unit type that doesnt replace the original. Following the steps, i tried creating "Pistol Ashigaru and Samurai" but somehow it does not show up in game and custom battle. the game was normal, as if my mod-in-testing doesnt exist. Can some1 help me take a look? i deleted all stuff that doesnt relate to matchlock.

What i want to achieve in my mod :
    "Pistol Ashigaru and Samurai" to be generically available to every faction unless example ikko ikki does not have samurai units.
    No need to alter uniforms ( i added cos im nt sure whether it will affect if i left it out) but i did change the IDs
    If possible i would like gunpowder mastery to be removed (not required to learn to recruit them)
    Also would like to change their range from the original 100 to 80 but i do not know the relevant stat to change.

Much appreciated if some1 could take the time to help me look through. Thanks!

hello im new here and i was hopping if you can tell how do you get all those table

Quote Originally Posted by glee92 View Post
    hello im new here and i was hopping if you can tell how do you get all those table
    First, you're going to need the following tables:

DBs:

building_units_allowed (this tells the game what buildings are required for the unit to be created)
    cdir_unit_qualities (this tells the game what type of unit it is)
    uniforms (this tells the game where to find the models for the game)
    unit_required_technology_junctions (this tells the game what arts need to be mastered before you can recruit the unit)
    unit_stats_land (this tells the game what the units' combat stats are, as well as animation and other miscellaneous info)
    unit_to_unit_abilities_junctions (this tells the game what abilities the unit will have)
    units (this tells the game various info about the unit, mostly related to the campaign map and multiplayer. Essentially, the non-combat version of units_stats)
    units_to_exclusive_faction_permissions (this tells the game, predictably, who can use the unit. If it's not listed here, no one can use it)
    units_to_groupings_military_permissions (very similar to the above, this tells the game who can use the unit)

Bad213Boy's Avatar Semisalis

You rock dude. Awesome addition.

Bad213Boy's Avatar Semisalis

Can someone please tell me what's the difference between these 2? I've tried contacting the original poster but he hasn't responded after a couple of days. Can you give me an example as to when both are needed and when only one will be needed? The original explanation doesn't differentiate the difference very well.

units_to_exclusive_faction_permissions (this tells the game, predictably, who can use the unit. If it's not listed here, no one can use it)
    units_to_groupings_military_permissions (very similar to the above, this tells the game who can use the unit)
    Last edited by Bad213Boy; January 27, 2012 at 03:06 PM.