Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are we attracted to things?

Default Why are we attracted to things?

Why are we attracted to certain things?
    In most species the attractions are to things that give the offsprings better chances (when females pick).
    Like whit butterflies, who look for symmetric in thier mates, becouse they might be desaised if they arn't symmetric.

But why are we (males) attracted to big breast? Thoes that mean that in some aspect it is better to have large breast then smal?
    And then remember that moste animals don't have large breast. And the fact that we evolved from the apes, and they didn't have it. So humans must have "evolved" to have it, why?

Legs and thighs are more easier to comperhend, sence women give birth. And everybody needs to run from predators.

While why women are attracted to muscles are also easier, since the strongest one can dominate the group and thus giving the best home for childrens.

Anyone wanna comment?

Flogger's Avatar Senator

One of the things that set humans apart from other animals is our intelligence. We have bigger brains than other animals, thus allowing us to adapt a sense of beauty. Just our interpretation of beauty is having... bigger breasts. Though some people don't want that.
    Stealing TWC's smilies since 2005

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

Let's go to the Physiologia forum, shall we?
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."

shadowarmy75's Avatar Biarchus

But is big breasts all that we have. What if someone liked you and they had huge, real breasts but their face was blah. You can't just put a bag over their face.

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sirex
    In most species the attractions are to things that give the offsprings better chances (when females pick).
    Like whit butterflies, who look for symmetric in thier mates, becouse they might be desaised if they arn't symmetric.

But why are we (males) attracted to big breast? Thoes that mean that in some aspect it is better to have large breast then smal?
    And then remember that moste animals don't have large breast. And the fact that we evolved from the apes, and they didn't have it. So humans must have "evolved" to have it, why?

Legs and thighs are more easier to comperhend, sence women give birth. And everybody needs to run from predators.

While why women are attracted to muscles are also easier, since the strongest one can dominate the group and thus giving the best home for childrens.

Anyone wanna comment?
    Bigger breast more and healthier milk?

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

In a psychology class I took, it was suggested that bigger breasts are often seen as more desirable because it implies that they'll have more milk.

As early as the Paleolithic era, big breasts were seen as desirable, along with fatty hips and legs. Evidence can be seen on the "Venus sculptures" that have been found in Paleolithic tombs. As time progressed, fat chicks in general became desirable because it usually meant that they came from wealthy families. These attitudes remained until the 20th century, with women like Marilyn Monroe representing the paragon of attractive women.

I'd say that slim women didn't become desirable until the mid-20th century, when people became aware of the medical complications associated with obesity. However, bigger breasts still remain desirable.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

It's all social conditionnaing if you ask me. At one point, fat women were seen as beautiful, because times were harder and a skinny woman would have had a much harder time. Males are preffered muscular, because men were always the ones who brought food, fought, etc and thus a muscular male was preferable.

I think there is still a "inherent model of beauty" for males and womens, but for facial traits and proportions.
    I sin for the good of humankind
    "I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength."
    -Nietzsche
    Truth is not a law, a democracy, a book or a norm not even a constitution. Nor can it be read in the stars.

If I have to guess, I would say that Breasts are the best way to telling bewteen a woman who is capable of having a kid from a girl that is not.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by shadowarmy75
    You can't just put a bag over their face.
    Actually, you can. Just cut some breathing holes.

I'd say it was before mid 20th century...wait I always get confused...mid 20th is like 1950 right? if it is I'd say it would be around mid to late 19th century. Personally I find a skiny girl with giant breasts kind of scary. I like meduim sized ones not ones that weigh more then her. Or one's that are as flat as cardboard.

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sirex

Anyone wanna comment?
    We have evolved to like traits like big breasts in women and big muscles in men. An healthy woman able to have many children, and an healthy man able to defend his progeny, are highly desireable for survival in a primitive setting.

Besides, having most of us been fed to our mother's breast, there is also a positive psychological conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris
    It's all social conditionnaing if you ask me. At one point, fat women were seen as beautiful, because times were harder and a skinny woman would have had a much harder time. Males are preffered muscular, because men were always the ones who brought food, fought, etc and thus a muscular male was preferable.

I think there is still a "inherent model of beauty" for males and womens, but for facial traits and proportions.
    Yes, but there's always the fact that not everyone is attracted to the samething. :original:
    Member of S.I.N."Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson
    Agnosticism, a personal relationship with common sense.
    “We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes” Gene Roddenberry quote
    Under the Patronage of Squeakus Maximus.

Of course, most would agree, however, that some girls are more beautiful then others.

In my opinion, it all dates back to the earliest ages, like I will take examples of the Greeks.

Muscular men: I guess women liked muscular men for the fact it meant they were active and thus, could work on farms, protect the family etc.
    Since men at the time were active, they would be able to work on the farms, and if a man was more muscular, he would be able to provide more food, and women might have found an attraction to this, for they would be able to eat more, and create a better family. Also, because there might be a better chance at more food, they would be able to "show off" their husbands work and thus, muscular men were an attraction for ladies up till now.

As for protecting the family and fighting, both were important at the time. If a man was strong and healthy, then a women would not have to be frightened of what might happen to her, plus, she would be able to relax more and depend more upon her husband for work, and which, he would be forced to do more work, and that, creating more food, which would allow larger families.
    As for being a warrior, a male who was strong would be considered a good warrior for he would be a strong man, able to fight for a long period of time and thus, slaying more enemies. Through this, a women would then be able to boast about her husband and tell of his tales, and then, muscular men became an attraction to women.

Big breasts:As many have mentioned, in the mid-evil era, fat women and men were considered to be handsome and beautiful. The reason being they were rich and could afford more food which is always an attraction.
    Now, a women who was fat, was considered beautiful, only due to the reason she was rich and could afford food. That trend probably stayed until the time came where medicine was able to keep people living longer instead of just eating food. Through this, slim women became desirable, but some desires still stayed, big breasts.
    Another point is that women with big breast, would have gone through puberty and would be considered mature. if they are mature, they would be considered a lady and would thus, be desirable by men. Also, they would be considered healthy, and like the above, would be fat, which would mean they are rich, and thus, desireable.

Those are some reasons I compiled, if you don't understand some, I'd be happy to clarify them.

Adnan

Here's a question. What about when it, and if it, persists to more Aesthitic things?

Take for example the rabid obsession of Asian Women by a large number of all manner of males. Or my own attraction to dark skin, but not african women. What makes us attracted to particular hair colors, facial features, eye colors (Women seem especially attracted towards this) or skin color?

I've heard that symmetry is something that is found to be a mark of beauty. When some study showed faces of women and men of varying ethnicites and types with symmetrical faces, people marked them as attractive. But that still leaves the question of skin type in the open, in my mind.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

As for eye color, dimples, and the like, that all depends on the individual. It's probably just a part of what makes you... you.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Truthfully an impossible question to answer. Anyways im considerd hot in my school- 3rd best looking but Im not perfectly symetric and neither is the 2nd best looking. Infact my nose is kinda tilted to the left as if it was broken. Which it wasnt...but either way I think symetry matters only for certain places on the face and of course subtly for excample you can tell my nose is bent but it's not like walking twenty feet away you wouldn't be able to tell. Meh I don't know. I always wonderd regardless of how you go up (pro black etc) people seem to on averedge to like there own colour more. Any ideas as to why? And no please dont say its because of racist trends that have been going on in our society for years....

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

There are a lot of people who different from others in their society. Julius saw Cleopatra as a beautiful woman, because of her intelligence (she knew several languages and religions), her charm and personality. She was an overweight, short person with horrible teeth. No one waqs attracted to her physical beauty. Many men were so amazed by her that they instantly fell in love. Back then they didn't even have bags.
    Plutarch wrote an extensive biography on her, and mentioned the now-not-so-well-known facts. Evil Hollywood warping the story.
    Anyway, people used to be less shallow. It started out as what ever woman had the healthy body, with big breasts and hips, would be good for raising children, and be chosen. People in the BC era are known for their love of personality.
    Helen of Troy was an average looking woman, in the original myth. She may have been a bit better looking, but that didn't matter. It was her personality that caused the war. lol
    It used to be the "in" thing to be average or overweight. people would choose brides because they liked eachother. Some people were shallow, but that was mostly the lords and kings.
    Into the 20th century, physical beauty was becoming our main focus (in the modern world). people just became shallower. Today, what we are taught is real beauty, is a woman with big breats, annorexic, and less intelligent than "we" are.
    Our society seems to be throwing intelligence lower and lower down the scale, while bringing unnatural "beauty" to the top.
    Now the "in" thing is to be tan if you are white. So, white people want to be brown. Reverse Michael Jackson syndrome.
    Thats just my perception anyway.

I think that we became shallower because we are actually expected to have sex with our partner and only that partner. Those famous people in the anicent world had dozens of consorts. As such, they can worry about other things in picking a wife.

Short answer: beacause we have to be

Long answer: many psychological reasons. I don't know them......ok so i don't know all of the long answer! The only one i know is that men are attracted to bigger butts because that implies wider hips and an easier birth to a child.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast