Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rules & Guidelines for Hotseat Campaigns

Loose Cannon's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Rules & Guidelines for Hotseat Campaigns

This thread is a place to post, discuss, and explain rules and penalties used in any M2TW/Kingdoms/mods hotseat game

General Game Rules

These first rules are mandatory in all hotseats.

1. Reloading is allowed.

2. The use of bugs and exploits is not allowed. This includes the merchant fort and surrounding agents to kill them. The movement bug is allowed if posted at start or upon agreement by players. The penalty is an in-game fine of 10,000.

3. The defeated army and turn of respect rule. All defeated armies/navies are not allowed to be moved or attacked again on the turn after they are defeated. This is to make it fair for people who are defeated by players that come before them in the turn, and lose all their movement points because of the game mechanics. If the army retreated into a city/castle/fort this rule does not apply The penalty is replay of turn and 10,000 florins.

4. All player vs. player battles must be auto-resolved. Screenshots must be posted as evidence of auto-resolve. The Odds & Results screens must not be edited in any way. Editing out Map info, Cash, Unit cards, and any Agents/Units/Regions not involved in the attack is allowed. Seige weapon unit cards must be shown, if used. Battles against the AI can be played. The penalty is 10,000 florins. Not used in an Ironman game.

5 No surrounding enemy army/agents/navies with one stack armies/navies. This prevents retreat of enemy army and it is automatically killed after battle. The penalty is [tbd].

6. If you receive a territory as a gift, the troops spawned must be disbanded immediately if it is near a war zone. If not you may keep up to 3 troops to maintain public order. The number of troops allowed to keep can be changed by the hotseat administrator.

7. Sallying out when outnumbered to prevent the attacking player's army from sacking is an exploit and is banned.

8. Ships may not leave a blockaded port without fighting through the blockade fleet. Ships in a blockaded port may not be attacked unless they hide an army for 2 turns.

9. Anything determined to be an exploit is banned.

Variable Rules
    These areas have variations that the hotseat administrator may choose and should list in the opening post.

Spies
    1. Spies may not open any gates
    2. Spies may not open any gates of any human contolled city/castle/fort.
    3. Two spies are needed to open any gate.

Assassins
    1. No restrictions on use.
    2. May be used only against agents. Priests/imans, merchants, spies, diplomats and assassins included. No generals or family members including princesses. Penalty 10,000 florins.
    3. May be used against everyone except family members. This includes princesses. The penalty is 15,000 florins
    4. May be used against everyone except faction leader and faction heir. The penalty is 20,000 florins.
    5. May not be used for sabotage.
    6. Use of the assassin must be the first thing done on a turn with a screenshot afterwards showing the same amount of florins. This is for admin to be able to verify the outcome.

Ports and Navies
    1. Navies may not be attacked inside ports.
    2. If port is blockaded, you must fight your way out.

Settlements/Buildings
    1. Buildings in settlements under seige may not be destroyed. Penalty is 20,000 florins and admin will restore buildings next turn if seiging army wins.
    2. Only religious buildings may be destoyed.
    3. Only religious and military buildings may be destoyed. Ports are not military buildings.
    4. Buildings may only be destoyed after x turns. Admin to determine x in opening post.

Crusades and Jihads
    1. No abusing the game mechanics. Your armies must attack the targeted city, of the targeted faction, only. Maximum 2 armies on Crusade/Jihad. Admin may allow more or less armies to join.

Ironman rules
    For only the toughest.

1. ALL battles may be fought. Screenshots required but only the mini-map and treasury amount may be edited out.
    2. Spies may not spread plague.
    Last edited by Loose Cannon; December 12, 2013 at 06:11 AM.
    Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance-David Mamet

Old age and forgetfullness makes it . . .er, I forgot-Loose Cannon

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Rules & Guidelines for Hotseat Campaigns

This post is for player responsibilities and guidelines for administrators to setup Medieval2/Kingdoms/mods hotseats.

Player responsibilities.
    1. Turns must be played within 24 hours of the save's posting. You may ask for and receive a 12 hour extension by asking for it in the thread. You may have a friend or ally or an admin. sub for you.

Hosting.

Administrator guidelines.
    More to follow.

Gaming Staff.
    Chief Administrator/Hexagon council
    Poach

Main forum
    Loose Cannon
    Macgrath

Westeros
    Dux

Third Age

Praetorium/Courthouse
    Created in December 2013
    Hotseats representative Dux
    Last edited by Loose Cannon; July 07, 2014 at 07:33 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

This post is for detailed explanations of some rules.
    1. Reloading
    2. The defeated army movement rule is used because of how the game works. For example, you're player #5 in a ten person hotseat. On his turn player #3 attacks and defeats your army in the field on turn five. It loses and retreats automatically but you now have no more movement points when its your turn to play. This rule prevents any other player from attacking that army until after player #5 plays his sixth turn and has the ability to move that army.

Now, (instead) its player #7 who attacks & defeats player #5 on turn 5. Player #5 has movement points on turn 6 but is required by this rule to NOT move his army until turn seven. The rule also prevents any other player from attacking player #5 army until after he plays turn seven.

But if during its retreat the army goes into a fort/castle/ or city this rule does not apply. Also if player #5 re-inforces this army with more troops-it does not apply.
    Last edited by Loose Cannon; December 12, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Praeses

Can we post now?

Timur_the_Lame's Avatar Praepositus

make the surrounding rule apply to ships as well

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    Can we post now?
    Yes, the formatting is causing me problems. Post 2 will be about admin duties and player responsibilities. Post 3 will be to clarify any particular rule-like the defeated army movement rule. LOTS of editing to follow

ANY AND ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOMED

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

would like to open a discussion about something that's been bothering me for a while.

This tactic where the (massively outnumbered) defenders of a besieged settlement sally out, when there is zero chance of actually breaking the siege.

I personally find this rather cynical and unsporting, as the only purpose of such a tactic is to deny the attacking player the opportunity to sack the captured settlement.

I am surprised no-one has ever mentioned this before, as I think it's an obvious exploit.

How is it any different than bashing down wall with a ballista, or putting armies on ships in a port?

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

4. All player vs. player battles must be auto-resolved. Screenshots must be posted as evidence of auto-resolve. The Odds & Results screens must not be edited in any way. Editing out Map info, Cash, Unit cards, and any Agents/Units/Regions not involved in the attack is allowed. Seige weapon unit cards must be shown, if used. Battles against the AI can be played. The penalty is [tbd]
    Some hotseats have always autoresolve rule

Praeses

IB, there has been some discussion of that rule in some hotseats. It has been banned in a few that I know of. SS Baltic is one.

[Celtíbero]Mencey's Avatar Campidoctor

Man, if you want to half the amount of problems and discussions in hotseats, we should totally ban crusades and yihads. That was one of the greatest improvements in KGCM hotseat patch.

Spies are not allowed to open anything. People do reload.

Assasins: only one allowed. Or at least 1 each 10 settlements owned, starting from 11 that you could hire the 2nd one.

I never undestood why banning surrounding armies with one unit. It is not very common that anyone gets to the situation to do it, and to me it enters in tactical movement. If we want to discuss about "realistic" things think about how many things in the game are unrealistic, i.e. 2 thousand men onboard one ship, or 2 thousand men stopped by a fort with a single unit of peasants with just 4 men in it... and so on.. and then.. why it should be forbidden surrounding ships???

I would make ALL battles autoresolved. I learnt in this forum some exploits in siege.battle maps that make pointless playing the battle, making autoresolve much more fair than playing it.

Forbid to gift settlements to AI.

To prevent CTD, it is forbidden to destroy your port if your settlement or port is being sieged.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Incontinenta Buttox♔ View Post
    This tactic where the (massively outnumbered) defenders of a besieged settlement sally out, when there is zero chance of actually breaking the siege.

I personally find this rather cynical and unsporting, as the only purpose of such a tactic is to deny the attacking player the opportunity to sack the captured settlement.
    Agree 100%. In fact I'm going to propose it in the spanish forum aswell.
    Last edited by [Celtíbero]Mencey; April 15, 2011 at 05:22 AM.
    Spanish Medieval II TotalWar Hotseat Site: http://hmtw2.foroactivo.com/

Praeses

@ Celt, rarely in Medieval times were armies completely annihilated. So that:

I never undestood why banning surrounding armies with one unit. It is not very common that anyone gets to the situation to do it, and to me it enters in tactical movement. If we want to discuss about "realistic" things think about how many things in the game are unrealistic, i.e. 2 thousand men onboard one ship, or 2 thousand men stopped by a fort with a single unit of peasants with just 4 men in it... and so on..
    is unrealistic. Though we are limited by the engine in some regards, this is not right.

A part from obvious rules, I agree with :
    -no spies opening gates (for the reason Celtibero explained)
    -limiting assassins (no killing family members and no more than 1 assassin every 10 settlements owned).
    -no sallying out when no chance of victory (putting a rule like the one that was in Catholic 6, is balanced)
    -no extermination of settlements (too much damage from it)
    -only religious and guilds can be destroyed
    -no forts spam (max 2 in a region, and you can build 1 fort for every region you own)
    -no surrounding armies with one unit. But if I have 5 big armies, and they can surround and destroy the army (because in a particular point of the map), it should be allowed.

Siege weapons:
    -ballista can only attack forts
    -catapult can attack up to large town and wooden castles
    -trebuchet up to large cities and Fortress
    -gunpowder everything
    This to make the game more strategical, as it's ridiculous a player can conquer straight a Fortress with a ballista in auto-resolve (and if playing the battle it would be impossible).
    This will motivate players to at least develop the siege weapons buildings (which otherwise it wouldn't make much sense)
    Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

jihads and crusades are good, no issue with them
    Only add the rulke
    -Jihad and crusade armies can only attack target settlement.

IMO no need to limit the number of jihad armies

[Celtíbero]Mencey's Avatar Campidoctor

@ Celt, rarely in Medieval times were armies completely annihilated. So that:
    is unrealistic. Though we are limited by the engine in some regards, this is not right.
    Visor, we are playing a game. This game is unrealistic per se. There are hundreds of unrealistic issues in it. If we ban everything that was not like in Medieval times, we should let the game and go and read a book. This rule is here just because the first time this happened it was against the admin's interests so he banned it.

Makrell, half of the pages of this forum are crusades discussions. Besides it is a clear unbalance against orthodox or pagan factions.
    Spanish Medieval II TotalWar Hotseat Site: http://hmtw2.foroactivo.com/

Praeses

Please don't act like I'm stupid Celt.

I'm just explaining why people say that is an exploit.

Leave the douchebag acting between you and Mord, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by [Celtíbero]Mencey View Post
    Visor, we are playing a game. This game is unrealistic per se. There are hundreds of unrealistic issues in it. If we ban everything that was not like in Medieval times, we should let the game and go and read a book. This rule is here just because the first time this happened it was against the admin's interests so he banned it.

Makrell, half of the pages of this forum are crusades discussions. Besides it is a clear unbalance against orthodox or pagan factions.
    About Crusades and Jihad I thought this: I would allow them, but only against Catholic (excommunicated too) and Muslim factions.
    This way, Pagan and Orthodox cannot launch but neither they won't suffer from them .

@Makrell: limiting cursade/jihad armies is necessary, too many bonus from them. Plus if you don't limit they will always succeed. It would be nice to see them fail sometime.
    Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Crusade cant be againist orthodox, but no crusade versus pagans is ok, but there is only 2 pagan factions(lithuainia and astecs) in 99% of all mods
    IMO in mods where mongols are pagan they should be crusadeable

Protector Domesticus

Leave the douchebag acting between you and Mord, okay?
    We've kissed and made up since.

While I was a great user of the "surround enemy army with single units so it dies completely" tactic, I wouldn't support its reimplementation now. I would have to disagree with CM, in that it's not exactly difficult to pull off, and you get things like a 2300 soldier army being completely annihilated at the cost of only 700 +/- 200 of your own, whereas you would have to engage a few times to totally destroy the army otherwise, and now the player has nothing at all to defend with.
    Last edited by Mordrorru; April 15, 2011 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    Crusade cant be againist orthodox, but no crusade versus pagans is ok, but there is only 2 pagan factions(lithuainia and astecs) in 99% of all mods
    IMO in mods where mongols are pagan they should be crusadeable
    You forget Jihad can be launched against Orthodox.

Praeses

So can crusade.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast