Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empire Realism Reloaded - Change Log

Default Empire Realism Reloaded - Change Log

brief change descriptions
    - adjusted unit stats again, cavalry stronger in melee ( quite a lot! square is a must against them, but it is also possible to defeat them by precisely timed salvos)
    - unit mass adjusted - cavalry will not penetrate infantry formation easilly, most of the time will be stopped by first two lines. heavy cavalry penetrate more, light less. same true with infantry
    - adjusted artillery effectivity - new reload and acc values based on caliber type - bigger guns more accurate but slower to reload.
    - improved hovitzers - they now have canisters! (instead of solidshots) they are less accurate but have higher reload (shorter barrel). they are good at destroying objects.
    - no more firing from horse for western cavalry! they are able to dismount. Dragoons and Carabiniers are able to fight like rapidly deployable skirmishers (their carabines are faster to reload,but slightly less accurate than normal musket)
    - naval guns adjusted (mostly to match NER naval combat behavior)
    - Eastern armies overhaul - they are no longer disciplined force,mostly using mob formation and deep ranks. dangerous in melee

Naval recruitment overhaul

- Historically correct shipbuilding - build new SOL took several years, often over 5-6 years or more. All naval recruitment times will be increased - 1.rate SOL will take 12-14 turns to build, Frigates about 2-3 years... same with Trade Ships which are comparable in size to 4-rate ships. Building times will be based on real historical building time averages.

- All naval port will get more recruitment slots - lowest tier military port will have 3 slots now, trade port 2 (instead of 1) - so now you will be capable building several ships at once, but with increased building times - this will consume your resources more, so you might even cancel few ships before launch if you will need resources otherwise.

- Indiaman Trade Ships will cost more - almost similar to 4-rate SOL (but without the cost of guns of course) and will take same time to build - so nobody will be able to Spam tons of these ships quickly in the beginning - while in vanilla game Indiaman cost about 500 in ER new cost will be 1000-1200 or more with building time 5-6 turns. This will make trade ships valuable resource worth capturing or destroying as it will take some time to replace.

Aproximate Building times:

1-rate SOL..........11-12 turns
    2-rate SOL..........10-12 turns
    3-rate SOL..........8-9 turns
    4-rate SOL..........5-7 turns
    5-rate Frigate......4-5 turns
    6-rate Frigate......3 turns
    Indiaman.............5 turns
    Brig....................2 turns
    Sloop..................2 turns

Building times will differ based on country - major naval powers will be able to build ships faster (on certain ships it might vary 1 turn)

i made an average on building times for ships that i was able to find info and made average - for example British Bellona class 74gun ships took on average 3 years to complete Arrogant class 4 years,Canada Class 5 years and Ramillies 4years.. so average is 4y/8turns building time for 74gun SOL

Update 3:

Currently working on things that were present in ER 0.73 but later they didn't make it into ER 1.0 - mostly new naval units and guns.

- added french naval 4pdr and 36pdr guns so French Ships will be unique
    - added 18pdr,24pdr and 42pdr carronades - assigned to appropriate ships - will make carronade research a worth having.
    - new privateer ships (Brig and 24 gun Corvette) armed with carronades - require carronade research -thanks to Carronades they will become more dangerous but of course outranged. Use fast approach and short range broadside exchange - 18pdr-24pdr carronade will outgun at short range even 32gun 5-rate Frigates which are armed with 12pdr on main deck!
    - ship prices and upkeep rebalance based on real historical costs (they will be proportionally scaled - 1rate will soxt 1.5x more than 3.rate or 4x more than 32gun Frigate - upkeep will be based on real crew size, so in the end upkeep for 1.rate will be about 2-2.5x higher than Frigate upkeep )

Update 4:

- another privateer ship for western countries based on Ketch model (without mortars!) armed with small guns slightly better than small Sloop. This will allow to transform Brigs to late era Privateers(in two versions - carronade armed and standard light cannons) as they should be. For this i will use slots originally used by Bomb Ketch and Rocket Ships so they finally disappear in any possible form from game.

ok, so in my current work files i made few changes to unit costs / limits / upkeep. currently there are will be several subcategories based on unit type - western type professional army / militias / feudal-like warrior types.

differences are simple - western type infantry has a considerable cost to recruit, and you need certain money for salary, supplies ammo etc..but they are not taken from working populace so they are not impacting your economy as forming militia will. They will need some time to train, but once fielded, they are soldiers for life. Upkeep price will be about 1/4-1/5 of their recruitment cost.

Militia units are productive men - mostly those who would work in manufactures or on field, calling up militia force is not as costly as forming professional unit, (you need to provide weapons and ammo, in Americas they even had their own...) but forming the militia will result in bigger draw on your economy - thus upkeep will be higher than with professional soldiers - so in the end militia will cost much less, but will have higher upkeep,therefore forming militia will be not a good idea in the long term.. here upkeep will be 1.5-2x higher than recruitment price, but recruitment price will be low.

Feudal warrior type is similar - again those warriors are coming from your fields, so forming them has the impact on economy (not as big as calling militia) but their recruitment cost is somewhere in between. This type should be also used for all Natives as calling to arms would reduce the resources tribe has (men were hunters in the first place, not warriors)

Professional Line Infantry - cost 1000, upkeep 250, recruitment time 2 turns
    Feudal/warrior class - cost 750, upkeep 375, recruitment time 1 turn (restricted number of units based on social class of unit)
    Militia unit - cost 500, upkeep 300, recruitment time 1 turn

again, in the end costs will be higher, but ratio will be similar. Building the professional army will be the best long term solution and practically best investment of all,but will cost the most, and will take more time. Militia units will be relatively cheap,but not that effective for their cost/upkeep, and Feudal troops will be less cost-effective in the long run, but faster to recruit.
    Last edited by JaM; April 14, 2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: so far placeholder of material i want to include in change log

Default Re: Empire Realism Reloaded - Change Log

Unit stats changes:

- cavalry re-balance. All cavalry units got higher defense stats based on type of horse they use - heavy cavalry is now hard to kill in melee making it formidable force on battlefield and best melee unit in the game. you will have to use concentrated firepower against them! Even light cavalry will be able to deal a lot of damage to unsupported infantry so be aware especially of sudden flank attacks!

- unit mass adjustments. Cavalry will now not penetrate into infantry ranks that easily especially into formed ranks. open formations will be more in danger.
    - charge values updated based on weapon type - it is lance>bayonet>sword>sabre>riffle butt. Lancers will be the unit with best charge values but will be less effective in melee than other cavalry types, so use them for initial impact and not in prolonged melee with other cavalry.
    - western cavalry will no longer fire from horses. that was found ineffective way of fighting, instead all carbine armed cavalry units will be able to dismount and fight as skirmish line. their shorter dragoon carbine will allow them to reload faster (even some light infantry units preferred to use dragon carbine for skirmish work instead of standard musket!)

- Eastern and Indian army overhaul - they will fight in more open and deep formations, no longer in perfect ranks. Only units with western type trained infantry will use wester type formations,tactics and weapons (flintlocks with bayonets). Eastern infantry instead will use matchlocks, swords, scimitars and axes. Matchlocks will be more damaging due to higher caliber,but due to that fact they will also have less ammo available (western infantry will often have 20-25 rounds, while matchlock armed infantry will have 10-15 rounds)

- Campaign movement redesign. heavy artillery will move slowest, light cavalry fastest. Some light infantry units will be also able to "outrun" standard units so it will be possible to use them as fast response force (light Brigade tactics) or as scouts/raiders. There will be huge difference in campaign movement for artillery - using heavy arty will allow you to out-range light guns, but your army will have reduced radius.

- Unit cost,upkeep and training time rebalance. Professional troops will cost lots of money to recruit, will take more time to train.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Yeah, good. As said, hopefully you have not destroyed all the micro-developed balancing of the ER rev version, and that your work is a trump on it in the whole view.

As you know, ER rev versions have been updated along my campaign playtesting in a quite long process, and the last version was pretty much of a well shaped balance.
    Just my thoughts, you know, if two modders change a balancing, it's like two cooks on the same meal.

There for my saying that your Reloaded version should go separate out in the public - anyways, i guess it might attract much more realism fans again for ER as for all your history detail work, this alone deserves a lot credit 'thumbsup'

I've finally moved your preview/update posts to the correct thread
    Last edited by DaVinci; April 16, 2011 at 08:49 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

i must tell you, writing a change log is harder than modding...

Patrician Artifex

You are making it that detailled.

It is partly questionable if players outside will take the time to read it. Only history buff fans of the time will do it, probably. All other not wanna know such details. They need some main features in short words and need get intruiged to it playing the mod.

On the other side, you are making the mod for yourself in the 1st place ... .
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

you are right, its too detailed and it doesnt need to be i will create short version instead.

Combat changes

- unit mass increased, cavalry defense stats improved, western cavalry no longer fire from horses.
    - eastern units rebalance (removed bayonets, added scimitars and sabres)
    - artillery stats adjusted, improved types progression. Fixed heavy arty is recruitable longer.
    - eastern armies fight mostly in deep "mob" formations now instead of perfect ranks. (same with natives)

Campaign changes

- Campaign movement rebalance. (heavy artillery very slow, light units fast,especially light cavalry)
    - Unit costs increased, upkeep rebalanced based on unit status - Professional/feudal warrior-like/ militia etc...

Naval changes

- realistic shipbuilding times. (100gun SOTL took 5-6years to build sometimes more!)
    - new naval guns for France and Spain, more carronade types.
    - new late 32gun Frigate armed with 18pdrs
    - new late privateer Brig armed with carronades (18pdr)
    - increased costs for all ships based on real historical costs.

Patrician Artifex

I think this is a great update.

You should aim for a frontpage announcement to get TWC'ers aware of your excellent work

who should i contact to get that done?

Last edited by JaM; April 20, 2011 at 04:34 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Please do not apply this picture publicly, it is eye-destroying (your re-scale does this).

Contact ie. one of the moderators of the ETW mod section or my friend Aradan, who is doing a lot of frontpage news.

i dont have any other... so it has to be enough... but we should probably ask somebody to create nicer picture...

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    i dont have any other... so it has to be enough... but we should probably ask somebody to create nicer picture...
    ... you have the default scaled one of the release thread.

but must say WOW, 200 people already checked the post, thats an upgrade from yesterday's 20...

i couldnt use it, it had to be 640x360 size

Patrician Artifex

but must say WOW, 200 people already checked the post, thats an upgrade from yesterday's 20...

i couldnt use it, it had to be 640x360 size
    Ask Aradan about that. As to my knowledge, the picture must be not bigger than allowed, but it can be smaller, so the default would work, i guess, ie. if you scale it with PS or whatever keeping the picture ratio.

Patrician Artifex

I've just closed your release thread.

Open it if you really want the feedback there, otherwise we have just the feedback thread, if we change the thread style, we confuse the system imo..

You could also add one post below (and close it then), where you say, "please comment in the feedback thread" or so.

But it's your decision of course

Edit: Can you still correct "instalations" to "installations" in the title?

btw, did you had time to try new ER out? I'm quite curious about your opinion

Patrician Artifex

btw, did you had time to try new ER out? I'm quite curious about your opinion
    Unfortunately no, too busy, and as for modding things, S2R+ only.

But i promise i'll do it latest when a moment comes that i'm bored by S2R+ and have enough time incl. feeling the need for a "european" 18th century game. Honestly, atm. the Senguko catched me.

Patrician Artifex

I think you should remove for now the "...v1.0.." in the Reloaded thread title, as it might confuse as for the other 1.0 version titles.

If you update this 1.0, you could add "v1.1" to the title etc..

When you are by that, you could also write all title words start with a capital letter. Just cosmetic.

EDIT

Aradan already set it up, wow, that was quick. But ... the picture ... lol.
    The resolution quality is that bad. Better ask him to exchange the pic if you have re-scaled the original properly.
    Last edited by DaVinci; April 20, 2011 at 07:59 AM.

i'm already in office so i cant do anything about it right now..

Patrician Artifex

i'm already in office so i cant do anything about it right now..
    Eye-doctors and opticers will have an increased business then ... until it is exchanged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast