Thread: Ambush map

Default Ambush map

I hope ambushes will be used more in this one. I hate how they are rare in RTW. There needs to be more trees along roads for more of them and less spoiled ambushes.

Tabell's Avatar Decanus

I cant really think of any large scale ambushes (as in Rome total war) in medieval times. The stuff thats in the original MTW like hiding troops in trees is good enough. Correct me if Im wrong.

? Ambushes are in RTW. Hide in the woods and if troops run into yours you get to ambush them. It is really really fun...and it gives you a huge advantage...(It lets you set troops any where around the enemy, and I think they have lower moral then normal)

Ambushing is as old as war itself. Ambushes are the key to making the game more fun, an alternative to just siegeing Castles/cities one after another; they add alot more strategy. It is a good wild card, and makes it possible for small armies to compete with the big.

I just hope they add more trees by the roads and paths.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Ambushing was extremely faulty in RTW. I don't think the AI knew how to use it if they pulled it off, and it used to be impossible for the player to pull one off. This may have been fixed in 1.5/1.6 though...

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

I find your forces start too far away from the enemy to make it worthwhile half the time tbh
    morecuriousthanbold.com

I find your forces start too far away from the enemy to make it worthwhile half the time tbh
    Yeah, every time I was ambushed I would just organize my troops in 2 lines facing outwards, getting done WAY before the enemy could get to me. Then I'd find out that the AI had placed all it's troops on only one flank! WTF!

IMO I think for ambushing to work the game needs to be completely redone. How it is now, generals are basicaly prewarned that ambushed will take place. It was never explained why phlanxes were walking around thew world in perfect battel order, I mean common. In real life organizing phalanxes could take hours, why can RTW troops pull that off on the drop of the hat.

Also as is, both commanders are acting very very unrealisticaly. The prime advantage of an ambush is that the opposing force has no idea what's about to happen. In RTW battles as soon as the battle screen pops up, there is no possible other alternative than to fight off the attacks. You know they're comming, all you have to do is circle the wagons. Silly.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

There were ambushes in the Medieval world. Just after the First Crusade, an army of (mostly) German reinforcements was marching through Asia Minor to get to Jerusalem. Their idiot commander spurned Byzantine advice and decided to take a shortcut through arid territory. His troops started dropping from thirst, but then they found a river. The Crusaders broke ranks and headed straight for the river, and their rear guard did the same. As they were strung out along the riverbank, a Turkish army descended upon them from the rear and annihilated them.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by eXc|Imperator
    Ambushing was extremely faulty in RTW. I don't think the AI knew how to use it if they pulled it off, and it used to be impossible for the player to pull one off. This may have been fixed in 1.5/1.6 though...
    Very true, ambushing was not implemented very well in RTW. The AI could not take advantage, and the AI would never run into my ambushes. Rather depressing.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant