Thread: The Fourth Age (AAR/campaign story of Arnor)

Default The Fourth Age (AAR/campaign story of Arnor)

Spoiler for ta
    The year is 3059 of the Third Age, The armies of evil have almost been completely wiped out. All that remains are a small band of Easterlings too far away to cause anyone harm. The now free world makes peace to the new formerly acknowledged City State of Rhun.

Map of year 3059 TA centered on the City State of Rhun.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The last of the High elves make their preparations to depart middle earth. The Sindar Elves having been the ones to vanquish evil have decided to stay in middle earth and try to cleanse the area known as Mordor.

Spoiler for 3079ta
    The Third Age Ends 3079 TA

The High Elves depart middle earth, Gandalf the formerly gray, white, and now mad chooses to depart with the Elves to the undying lands. vagabonds and thieves quickly rush into the cities and take up camp in the now deserted Elven sanctuaries.

The Departure of Elves and Gandalf and map 3079 TA. end of the third age.

King Mablung the Good of Arnor creates grand ceremonious armies and spends lavishly now that the Dundain kingdom has been restored, with Gondor as a stronger ally then ever before.

Spoiler for end3079ta begin1fa

The Fourth Age begins 1 FA

The People of Rohan do not accept the forced declaration of the
    Dundain Kingdom. With Gondor and Arnor (now quite bankrupt) attempting to muscle the scattered agrarian people of Rohan. Rohan lost most of their strength in the third war they stand but a shell of their former selves. The Great First War of the Fourth Age has begun.

The Allied Dundain Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor, both send armies against Rohan, The Sindar Elves do not stand for the slaughter of a weakened Rohan people and step in along with the former coalition which vanquished evil at the end of the Third age.
    The Kingdom of Dale, The Dwarves,Silvan Elves , and the City State of Rhun all step into defend Rohan.

Spoiler for 5fa

Winter, year 5 of the Fourth Age.

The Western provinces vulnerable now that the High Elves have left them vacant were quickly filled with all sorts of rabble and brigands, Armed in legendary Eldar outfits left behind when the High Elves sailed for the Undying Lands. With the Dwarves allied against the new Dundain Kingdom, Arnor knew it was crucial to take all the land between Arnor and the great sea. This included uprooting the Dwarves from their western mountain fortresses in the Blue Mountains. The King knew who to send for this job, he entrusted the campaign to a twenty five year old general Araphant known for his loyalty, unquestioning obedience, and willingness to get the job done no matter the costs.

Araphant tore through the rebel settlements starting with the grand harbor of Mithlond. Terror swept through the now rebel settlements around Lindon, Back in the new united Dundain Kingdom a hand written report was given by General Araphant's personal servant only after five years of no contact with King Mablung. Below is the report confirming the exciting but horrifying rumors spreading like wildfire throughout the Kingdom.

My Liege, I have much to report about the campaign to acquire the Lindon territories and those of the Dwarves in the Blue Mountains. I write to you now, from deep in the Blue mountains as we crush the last remaining Dwarven fortress of Kibil-Dum. I will recount from when I set out with the grand armies you committed to me four years ago, I have grim news about the population that took foot inside the former Elven settlements. They did not willingly submit to the rule of Dundain Kingdom, I was forced to take the cities by force. Initially our armies converged on Mithlond. During the siege and capturing of Mithlond, the rebels took up abandoned Eldar arms left behind and they gave us a fierce fight until they finally surrendered. I was set with a terrible choice, I could not merely garrison the city and move on, I was ordered to complete the campaign with all due haste no matter the consequences. I ordered the survivors of the resistance onto boats in the harbor, Both the rebels and I knew we could not allow them to remain in the city with such a small garrison. The rebels believed my intentions were to allow them to sail far away. Knowing I could not let them sail freely away and take the risk they garrison in other Lindon settlements. I ordered the boats be sunk by flinging our flaming catapult-rocks upon them from the shore. I allowed a handful of the most fit rebel survivors to stay and stand witness from the shore so that they could spread the word far and fast about what is done to those who resist the might of the Dundain. While the men did not approve of my actions and named me Araphant the Cruel. I knew that my charge would be better fulfilled by spreading fear and terror before our armies arrive to the rebel settlements. I believe the thousands put down in the Gulf of Lune will serve to save even more in the future by reducing the resistance in the remaining settlements. Following the siege of Mithlond, I sent my second best supporting general to take care of the south. I have no word directly from him but if the rumors I am receiving in the north are true. He has succeeded in uniting the coastal settlements all the way south to our allies in Gondor under the Dundain Kingdom's banner. He only requisitioned one full army to do the deeds in the south. I believe my decision at Mithlond lessened the resistance shown in the south and allowed for the successful capture of those settlements with only one army. I certainly know it made an impact when we took Forlond and Lunelaith the resistance was very slim most had heard of the Mithlond massacre and fled prior to our arrival. The cities fell swiftly and those fools who remained, despite knowing of Mithlond, are no longer of any concern to the new Kingdom. The Dwarves at Thorin's Halls provided a much more challenging fight. We were forced to dredge through the muck deep in the mountains, through places which only have ever known the light of a torch. The Dwarves were skilled in their knowledge of the elaborate labyrinths they built throughout the mountains. They would appear out of tunnels in the shadows not visible to our light accustomed eyes. While the other settlements fell quickly this battle raged on for a full year before the last of the Dwarves holed up in Torin's Halls had fallen or fled the mountain. I set up a reasonable garrison in case we failed to uproot the last Dwarven fortress in the Blue mountains. Then I set north toward Kibil-Dum with the remaining Arnor armies created in honor of the united Dundain Kingdom. I am writing now because after two long years of fighting through these treacherous caverns and halls we are nearing the end of the Dwarven resistance. A greedy Dwarf was willing to map out the hidden escape tunnels for the Dwarves with the only condition being that he would not be harmed and he was entitled to take any loot he could carry out himself from the remnants of Kibil-Dum. Using this knowledge we cut off their supply and escape routes and now have set up a defensive position forcing the Dwarves to come at us. Their attempts at breaking out of their mountain tomb are becoming weaker and weaker as each day passes. By the time you receiving this letter we should control all the territory you requested I take when you set me on my mission. My methods were at times unorthodox but my loyalty is always to the Kingdom. When I return from the north. I will submit to any decision rendered by you, on my actions and leadership throughout the campaign.
    -General of the Lindon campaign, Lord Araphant.

The servant then handed another small message to the King and an ornate box containing some parchment. The message revealed that inside the box were the memoirs of the late wizard and general Gandalf. The memoirs chronicle the great battles of the Third Age, where the great wizard Gandalf went north with the just recently reformed Kingdom of Arnor armies and defeated the threatening Orcs of Gundabad. King Mablung would read these memoirs later, he had more pressing matters to attend. Such as what to do with General Araphant. As King he did order a swift victory, yet he did not approve of massacring thousands after they surrendered their arms. Perhaps as King he could let one of his now best generals slide this time and remove all records of the deed eventually it will fade from memory, to myth, to nothing at all... After all, the Dundain would be the ones to write the history of the Fourth Age after ridding middle earth of all who opposed the new Dundain Kingdom.

Map year 5 of the Fourth Age at the time the King received General Araphant's letter.

Last edited by aurther; April 28, 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

Default Re: The Fourth Age (AAR/campaign story of Arnor)

ok, has some potential but could you decrease a font of the letters a bit? they are way to big...

Looking forward to it

But what's with the huge deficit

heh huge deficit is consequence of losing all trade partners except gondor. plus Arnor's current king commissioned the creation of grand new armies (thought to be ceremonious only since Sauron was defeated) though we now know Arnor and Gondor had a hidden agenda when they created these new armies in the 20 year period separating the fall of Mordor and the departure of the elves. Arnor's king figured it would be easy to make new armies take the now rebel provinces left behind from the high elves and those rich elven cities would pay for the new campaign. The Arnor king thought wrong, after taking the rebel settlements which were a harder fight then anticipated due to the rebels donning elven weaponry and armor. Once captured it was realized the High Elves left nothing of value behind. The only trace left of the High Elves were the trails and stone fortifications of their former cities, these just recently great cities were great no longer and Arnor would not prosper from acquiring the former High Elven territories as the King anticipated.

(this was basically why Arnor and Gondor went to war with Rohan and the rest of middle earth.)

Arnor was boke, needed more territory to pay for the many new armies churned out. (towards end of the War of the Ring, Arnor had extreme wealth over 300k+ in the bank, over a few years a few new stacks were made, but thanks to the surplus i could go from +6k a turn to - 30k a turn and still make troops each turn because of surplus.

(honestly i figured i was going to both lose those new armies but at same time take more territory so i thought i could keep ahead of the negative upkeep per turn, soon as i lose my trade partners though i took a major hit to my economy and then the territories didnt pay enough when i did capture them and then Gondor really took the brunt of the attacks from the coalition so i just had huge armies out taking rebel provinces and losing a ton each turn until it just got to the point where the CPU wasnt attacking me so i wasnt losing men to help reduce deficit (i hate disbanding troops unless its like ships or siege) so i just committed my armies to help gondor and just defend the territories i controlled from the attacks of dwarves/Silvan elves. )

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

This is going to be very interesting, keep it up!

EDIT: Did you fight the HE and eliminated them?
    Last edited by el Cid; April 15, 2011 at 08:57 AM.

Actually i tried to follow the Lore that the HE left after Mordor was destroyed, so i tried to send assassins to eliminate their faction leaders, though after a while that failed. So i had to just go in and commence to focus firing generals to finally eliminate the HE and set up the map how i wanted it to start my AAR. unfortunately it left me in massive debt. I just kept on despite it because I was not being pressed very hard by cpu. I thought i would eliminate the negative income pretty quickly both by losing some armies in taking the HE (now rebel) territory, I was wrong and im still massively in debt many years later though just recently i posted positive profits. It will take awhile to get back out of negative money. It has made me more attached to my units and way more safe when i use them, because i can not train or make anymore. (i would not be surprised if this AAR ends with Arnor completely destroyed because i just am not sure if i have the forces to survive until i come out of debt.)

Everyone does stories from start of game figured id do this one a little different and start it after the War of the Ring is over.

Interesting idea... +rep

Click here for the future Eurovision Songfestival winner
    The same brilliant person also made the BEST CHRISTMAS SONG EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    I still love you Dutchies Tukker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahoma View Post
    Don't talk to my sister Paul!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
    But Nazis like ponies!

updated it with a little section will probably have time to do more this weekend.