Thread: Yet Another Complaint

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus
    SJ, MM, Republic of the Banana (Philippines)

Icon8 Yet Another Complaint

I spent money buying the DVD of S2TW, I don't understand why I have to access Steam to get my game. Furthermore, I can't even begin to figure out WHY in the name of all that is holy/unholy do I need to access Steam just to play?!? I work on an island with intermittent internet connection (at best) with a gods awful sloooooow speed. Just to download the patch (which I wasn't even asked or informed about until I tried playing the game) has taken me over 18 hours (and that is only at 70% d/l).

I bought the bloody DVD, can't I expect to be able to play the damned game without having to access Steam???

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Yet Another Complaint

Oh bloody hell, I made a mistake, I'm at 70% and to get the remaining 30% will take me over 18 hours. Aaaaargh

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Discontinue download check the technical help section I had the same problem and got it working right ... you still need small patch download but that is better then downloading the whole thing. Then you will have activated on Steam but will not need it again and can play in offline mode ... if you want to play MP then of course you will have to get back online.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=433337

This is the thread you need you will see I had the same frustration but his advice was spot on!
    Last edited by dutch81; April 13, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks for the tip dutch81

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Yeah page 3 is me experiencing exactly what you are going through ... but he knew what to do so follow his advice and you'll be enjoying the game soon!

I also just +rep'd him because I still owed him for that and I appreciate you for reminding me in this thread.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

you can for sure install it without using the internet, but you can't play without it. Total War patches are generally very important and its not good to go without them.

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus

Yeah my major problem is that this game assumes a constant internet connection, so far I can only play when the very weak signal in the island comes up.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

actually there is something called offline mode, steam will go on without an internet connection.

Aside that you have downloaded 70% of the game, unless to download 64mb you get speeds counted in bits/s

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MM View Post
    actually there is something called offline mode, steam will go on without an internet connection.

Aside that you have downloaded 70% of the game, unless to download 64mb you get speeds counted in bits/s
    this. I personally like steam, but I have Comcast. But yeah, the game doesn't transfer any data while you're playing SP, so it should be independent of internet connection speed-You just need an internet connection. The patches part sucks though, that much is agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raimeken View Post
    you can for sure install it without using the internet, but you can't play without it. Total War patches are generally very important and its not good to go without them.
    Not so sure about that. So far all the patches have just had a few multiplayer bug fixes. I remember being irritated at having to download a patch with 4 bug fixes, all of them multiplayer, while I focus on singleplayer.