Thread: Amnesia: The Dark Descent has a free expansion!

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Default You got your Portal in my Amnesia!

So Amnesia: The Dark Descent received an update today that adds a new story mode called Justine which gives you a whole new story to play through. I've played through it for a bit and it's pretty neat, especially since there is a "Glados" character that communicates with you via phonograph recordings, not to mention that the monsters get custom sounds (And what appears to be a reskin) just for this new story.

Please keep any comments about the specifics in spoilers if you think it will ruin the experience for others.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This "Glados" character said "Remember: there is always another way" so when I realized this would involve saving other people in the prison/mansion I tried my best to do just that, save them. This plan did not work out so well

I tried to save the guy in the prison cell, but the only thing I could think to do was to stack boxes to reach the trap door on the ceiling which led me out of that area, presumably leaving that guy to die. :l

In the room after that there's some sort of puzzle involving picture slides and a guy trapped behind a wall, I put a couple slides in the hole then pulled the lever next to it thinking it would move the slides toward him....except it killed him. Whoops. :l

Right after that section there is a room with a monster that never goes away, I tried my best to sneak around him but he caught and killed me, then the game brought me back to the desktop. Was that the end of the game? Can anyone confirm that it goes farther than this?

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Amnesia: The Dark Descent has a free expansion!

If you have Steam, the game should update automatically. You'll notice that in the launcher of the game, there's a new button that simply says "Justine".

No saves are allowed by the expansion. No checkpoints. If you die, the game automatically quits itself.

Can you do it?

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Default Re: Amnesia: The Dark Descent has a free expansion!

Is it a seperate story from the main game ?
    Too afraid to finish the main game so don't want to spoil anything.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

No idea. I've not played it yet, only the first two minutes or so.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=443270

I played it for about an hour, figuring out how to get out of that first room was a pain. Probably going to try it again later.

Recon5000's Avatar Civis

I this sounds very interesting as I love both portal and amnesia. I am egar to see what the new content is like.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

interesting news here.. size in gb?

Preview video for those who are interested:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ju...sia-the/712776

Just had a quick run of it - seems like you can't save the game and have to play it through in one sitting? Didn't finish it but I was wondering why they'd do this?

I think the reason Frictional disabled it was to make the game more stressful and increase the fear/tension. (if that makes any sense) If you got killed by the monsters in the original, you can just reload the save and the monsters will despawn - where's the fun in that?

Since Justine is an expansion, a playthrough shouldn't take as long compared to the original game, so saves wouldn't be necessary.
    Last edited by Antissa; April 13, 2011 at 02:39 PM.