Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voting for Yourself - Discussion

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Default Voting for Yourself - Discussion

Hullo,

Recently, there has been a lot of talk about voting for yourself and all that jazz, especially after I posted this annoucement. I've had several messages from people providing their own views on the subject after that announcement was posted. Anyway, It's probably a good idea to finally just sort this out and be done with it, once and for all. I'll put up a poll once enough discussion has gone on as I've done with other rule discussions in the past. The winning decision of the poll result will stand.

If anyone wants my view on the voting for yourself thing, read that announcement link above. But to make it more clear, I don't really mind if voting for yourself is allowed or not as I consider the implementation of the 2 votes per person rule to be an adequate remedy, that is, as long as people use it. I'm all for good sportsmanship so if the majority want the 'voting for yourself' allowance to be removed , so be it.

My only issue (rather selfish ) with the disallowance of voting for yourself would be the fact it will probably require more enforcement and time on my part, and I will have to check the votes regularly, constantly go back to the archives, look at the submission thread, see if so and so voted for their own submissions in the poll, PM them that it is wrong if they did, going through conversations to explain it all, disqualify entries and so on. I may have to repeat this each week which I would find to be quite an annoyance to be honest.

But yeah, I'll go whatever way the majority wants. Poll up sometime

Discuss.
    Last edited by LuckyLewis; April 12, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Voting for Yourself - Discussion

I think if you keep two votes, you should allow voting for oneself, but then there is the problem you already described, about people only using one vote for themselves...
    If you go back to one vote, then I'd say one is not alowed to vote for oneself - this might be the fairest solution ?!

Content Emeritus

I think the two votes will stay no matter what, one of the main reasons for their implementation was because it was incredibly hard to choose from 10+ submissions, making the poll more healthy and varied with fresh votes being pushed around. It was decided fairly recently to implement the two votes so I don't think removing it again will achieve much.

If I were you, Lew, I wouldn't have even started such a discussion considering that it might cost so much extra work.

Seriously guys do we need to encumber LuckyLewis with this? Maybe adding a few sentimental sentences to every vote thread about being honest to ourselves and others etc. would be enough?

Content Emeritus

Sadly it seems not to be enough ?!

MaxMazi's Avatar Back in the game!

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLewis View Post
    My only issue (rather selfish ) with the disallowance of voting for yourself would be the fact it will probably require more enforcement and time on my part, and I will have to check the votes regularly, constantly go back to the archives, look at the submission thread, see if so and so voted for their own submissions in the poll, PM them that it is wrong if they did, going through conversations to explain it all, disqualify entries and so on. I may have to repeat this each week which I would find to be quite an annoyance to be honest.
    I agree with you, it will be a pain in the photo camera and it can't be done only by one person, in this case, you. You will quickly loose all the pleasure in moderating this section, and we can't afford to loose a guy who commits as much as you, and deliver outstanding performance in your free time. Thanks again for all the great work you are doing for us.

I don't find that voting for yourself is something to be proud, i never did that and i will not in the future. Then again i can't find it reprehensible if the forum permits you to do this. I find it reprehensible only when you are using only a vote from the possibility of two, voting only for yourself.

Therefore, in my humble opinion, we should stick to the actual format and instead of forcing to not vote for yourself, we should make mandatory to use both of the votes. I don't know if the forum permits that the vote button is not click-able until you tick two submissions, but if it permits, that's the best solution in my opinion. If not, if the rule will be official, i bet someone will see if a member didn't used two options after the poll will be closed and they will send you a pm with the incident. So you won't have to be the police like you described in the quote i posted!

Thank you again for letting us say our thoughts and for the outstanding work you are doing.

And guys, don't forget, we compete here for fun, we share our photos to please other members. to receive feedback, for improving our work. We do not compete for money, a shiny medal doesn't make you gorgeous!
    Proud son of Louis Lux
    My Gallery / My workshop

Well I always use both of my votes, but if some people don't want to, i don't really mind. If they just want to vote for themselves that's their decision, plus i think most people use both votes dont they? So it would just be a couple of extra votes here and there, which usually wouldn't make much of a difference to the result.

a little Idea:
    If every Artist Vote for himself, then the votes will be balancing and nobody has a advantage or disadvantage You have to remember, It is only one vote.
    So Lew can claim that every artist vote for himself.
    The moviemaker of the mods 1648 and Hyrule Total War
    My Video Gallery with Shogun 2 Machinimas

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMazi View Post
    I agree with you, it will be a pain in the photo camera and it can't be done only by one person, in this case, you. You will quickly loose all the pleasure in moderating this section, and we can't afford to loose a guy who commits as much as you, and deliver outstanding performance in your free time. Thanks again for all the great work you are doing for us.

I don't find that voting for yourself is something to be proud, i never did that and i will not in the future. Then again i can't find it reprehensible if the forum permits you to do this. I find it reprehensible only when you are using only a vote from the possibility of two, voting only for yourself.

Therefore, in my humble opinion, we should stick to the actual format and instead of forcing to not vote for yourself, we should make mandatory to use both of the votes. I don't know if the forum permits that the vote button is not click-able until you tick two submissions, but if it permits, that's the best solution in my opinion. If not, if the rule will be official, i bet someone will see if a member didn't used two options after the poll will be closed and they will send you a pm with the incident. So you won't have to be the police like you described in the quote i posted!

Thank you again for letting us say our thoughts and for the outstanding work you are doing.

And guys, don't forget, we compete here for fun, we share our photos to please other members. to receive feedback, for improving our work. We do not compete for money, a shiny medal doesn't make you gorgeous!
    I like that idea as well

Brego's Avatar Ordinarius

What you could do is just check if the winner did vote for himself or not. If he did, he will not get the win, if he didnt he gets it.. That way you wont get any advantage of voting for yourself as you wont get the win if you do..

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMazi View Post

In total support of this;One can of course vote for theirselfs (as its ones own work that the voter is proud of obviously),but a 2nd vote for anothers great work should be made mandatory.

The only other idea that comes to mind is why not allow 3 votes(mandatory) for everyone,and spice it all up even more ?
    Allthough this would mean even more checking by Lewis If its not technically possible to set the poll to 2 (or 3) votes mandatory standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Brego View Post
    What you could do is just check if the winner did vote for himself or not. If he did, he will not get the win, if he didnt he gets it.. That way you wont get any advantage of voting for yourself as you wont get the win if you do..
    Sorry guys... I don´t understand this. I thought it was allowed to vote for the own submission. Is this a discussion about "vote for yourself" or "use both votes"?

My opinion: Keep the 2-votes-system, but force every competitor to use both votes. After the polls are closed, Lewis (or a volunteer) only has to check if the winner has used his second vote.

You can´t avoid tactical voting and in the worst case the clip/picture with the lowest chances wins the competition, because every competitor gave his 2. vote for this video/picture. -- We can´t eleminate bad sportsmanship totally.

PS: I never voted for my own submission.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganH. View Post
    why not allow 3 votes(mandatory) for everyone,and spice it all up even more ?
    what do you think should be the result?

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by megalitho View Post
    Sorry guys... I don´t understand this. I thought it was allowed to vote for the own submission. Is this a discussion about "vote for yourself" or "use both votes"?
    Right now it isn't against the rules to vote for yourself, that is what the discussion is primarily about. Using both votes is a suggested solution.

I'm a big fan of MadMaxi's idea of making the two votes mandatory that Megalitho extended by suggesting that I just check if the winner has used his second vote. Works for me.

Yes, I support MaxMazi's idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by megalitho View Post

what do you think should be the result?
    Well everytime there are such great submissions that i allways want to vote for more then 2 screenshots.

When its made mandatory to vote 3 times;id say there are more screens getting more votes with more chances to win for other submissions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLewis View Post
    I'm a big fan of MadMaxi's idea
    Does this mean Max is actually Mel Gibson? If we are going to make a change I would also be happy with the system proposed by MaxMazi, as long as we give new people the benefit of the doubt if they didn't know/read the rules and didn't use both their votes.
    Last edited by General Brittanicus; April 12, 2011 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganH. View Post
    Well everytime there are such great submissions that i allways want to vote for more then 2 screenshots.

When its made mandatory to vote 3 times;id say there are more screens getting more votes with more chances to win for other submissions as well.
    Before i log out,i,again,want to make it clear for the record that i support MaxMazi's proposal.
    Last edited by MorganH.; April 12, 2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling lol;goodnight!

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

I like was Maxi said, heck if it were possible that would make it better for us too, considering that I have often accidentally only ticked one chekcer and mistakenly sent

I don't see a point in not allowing people to vote for themselves, and hopefully we can trust people to a degree of voting for what they think is the best screenie, and if they think theirs is one of the best, so be it.

double post;plse delete

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    Does this mean Max is actually Mel Gibson?
    Hahah, I don't know what I was thinking there, sorry MaxMazi.

Anyway, do you all think we should bother with a poll? it seems the majority like MaxMazi's idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast