Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RAAARRRGH!!!! Manly Scandinavian music needed

Ragnarök's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: RAAARRRGH!!!! Manly Scandinavian music needed

What do you guys think about this one?

http://www.wat.tv/audio/715696/vae-v...-tournent.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dea Paladin View Post
    Why is everyone looking for old norse songs? During the middle ages the scandinavian countries were civilized, like the rest of europe. Not vikings!
    Most of what has been posted is not Old Norse, it's generally been either modern fusions of medieval/traditional music and modern music or traditional music from periods much later than The Viking Era (nyckelharpas weren't even used until the 1400's, and they feature in many of these songs). If you do have some insight into medieval Scandinavian music and have some sources, this is the place to post them, so I encourage you to do so. I'm not really sure what you mean by "civilized" in the context of the music, what music would you suggest that is historically accurate and reflects their civilized status?

Plus, keep in mind that what is traditionally known as The Viking Era only ended in the early 11th century and this mod starts in the late 11th century; there's really only about 50 years between the end of what is called the Viking Age and the mod's start.
    Last edited by WinsingtonIII; April 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WinsingtonIII View Post
    Most of what has been posted is not Old Norse, it's generally been either modern fusions of medieval/traditional music and modern music or traditional music from periods much later than The Viking Era (nyckelharpas weren't even used until the 1400's, and they feature in many of these songs). If you do have some insight into medieval Scandinavian music and have some sources, this is the place to post them, so I encourage you to do so. I'm not really sure what you mean by "civilized" in the context of the music, what music would you suggest that is historically accurate and reflects their civilized status?

Plus, keep in mind that what is traditionally known as The Viking Era only ended in the early 11th century and this mod starts in the late 11th century; there's really only about 50 years between the end of what is called the Viking Age and the mod's start.
    Also I wouldn't really call the rest of europe in the medieval period civilized.

Anyway, we are already aware of Harald Foss.

Hall of the Mountain King is definitely not in line with our music policy.

A few of these songs that have been suggested are already in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    Not suitable sorry.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Quote Originally Posted by Dea Paladin View Post
    Why is everyone looking for old norse songs? During the middle ages the scandinavian countries were civilized, like the rest of europe. Not vikings!
    No t vikings, norse. They still had very much vuiking culture

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Ed View Post
    Also I wouldn't really call the rest of europe in the medieval period civilized.

A few of these songs that have been suggested are already in the game.
    I agree with you, I was using the term because he used it and I was curious what type of music he expected.

For reference when I'm looking for more songs, it would be nice to know which ones have made it into the game so that I can continue looking for songs with a similar feel/instrumentation.

I agree with you, I was using the term because he used it and I was curious what type of music he expected.

For reference when I'm looking for more songs, it would be nice to know which ones have made it into the game so that I can continue looking for songs with a similar feel/instrumentation.
    I haven't listened to the harald foss posted in this thread but we have quite a few of those.

This:

This one had already been suggested but it was rejected by Ross, I think he said it is from a TV show. Although personally I think it is ok and would put it in. But I can't remember why it was rejected. Do you think it should go in?:

This is one of my favourites in the Swedish campaign music:
    Last edited by Space_Ed; April 13, 2011 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Ed View Post

This one had already been suggested but it was rejected by Ross, I think he said it is from a TV show. Although personally I think it is ok and would put it in. But I can't remember why it was rejected. Do you think it should go in?
    Know the question is not directed to me, but... It's from a very famous Swedish movie ('Ronja Rövardotter' based on book by Astrid Lindgren). I don't know, maybe some Swedes will be annoyed with having songs from their childhood movies in the game? Ruining the "immersiveness" or whatever if you recognize it as "that Ronja song"?

Personally, I think it fits well with the goals you had of historical accuracy, plausability, atmosphere and so on, not to mention that it's really catchy!

Non-Swedes will probably only recognize it as "generic Scandinavian medieval chanting" and it won't (potentially) "ruin" the atmosphere in the same way for them?

I say go for it!
    Last edited by madosopia; April 13, 2011 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madosopia View Post
    Know the question is not directed to me, but... It's from a very famous Swedish movie ('Ronja Rövardotter' based on book by Astrid Lindgren). I don't know, maybe some Swedes will be annoyed with having songs from their childhood movies in the game? Ruining the "immersiveness" or whatever if you recognize it as "that Ronja song"?

Personally, I think it fits well with the goals you had of historical accuracy, plausability, atmosphere and so on, not to mention that it's really catchy!

Non-Swedes will probably only recognize it as "generic Scandinavian medieval chanting" and it won't (potentially) "ruin" the atmosphere in the same way for them?

I say go for it!
    All scandinavians will probably reconginze it, but who cares
    Great pick man

In terms of the Icelandic chanting, unfortunately as far as I can tell there isn't really a Swedish equivalent from the Medieval period but if someone with greater expertise corrects me I would love to hear it.

I'd say put the Ronja one in, I don't think it's really long enough to be too distracting in terms immersion and I don't think a huge number of people will be bothered by it.

Gjallarhorn does have great stuff, but unfortunately it fits the stereotype of female vocals over folky music that I was trying to avoid when finding songs.

Just use the same music for Sweden-Denmark and Norway as culturally theiy were the same.
    lol

Gjallarhorn does have great stuff, but unfortunately it fits the stereotype of female vocals over folky music that I was trying to avoid when finding songs.
    Yeah that's it. There's too much stuff that sounds like that.

Do you have to input the whole song or just chop off a decent piece (instrumental) and use that?
    Manowar- Gods of War has a fair bit like you need.

KingCanute's Avatar Foederatus

The song "Drřmte mig en drřm i nat" is the oldest known secular song in the Nordic countries. It is written in Old Danish and is included in Codex Runicus, a transcript of Scanian Law, as a final note written in runes, like the law itself, and an old type of musical notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4Vd...eature=related

- SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    - "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by Messremb View Post
    Do you have to input the whole song or just chop off a decent piece (instrumental) and use that?
    Manowar- Gods of War has a fair bit like you need.
    I actually remix entire songs. A lot of the songs in the game I have chopped bits out of and totally changed the structure of the song. So if there's a song with a few good bars of music that would work for a battle I can just keep those bars and reorder it to create a totally new and different piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCanute View Post
    The song "Drřmte mig en drřm i nat" is the oldest known secular song in the Nordic countries. It is written in Old Danish and is included in Codex Runicus, a transcript of Scanian Law, as a final note written in runes, like the law itself, and an old type of musical notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4Vd...eature=related
    Well that song is danish so i dont know if thats what they are looking for ? Also there is no ned for the song to be secular giving thast sweden is a catholic kingdom

In flames- Whoracle , slightly less burly.

mobilizing maybe?
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Recon's Avatar Decanus

Ran accros this Latvian band while searching 0:00-1:54

Enya?

Foederatus

Some Norwegian folk instruments like the haringefele I think sounds totally terrible, but I like the bukkehorn.

Theese songs are also quite nice in my opinion

Leve Vikingeaanden - Einherjer
    Last edited by Ensiferum; May 15, 2011 at 04:21 AM.

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Ensiferum: That "cool vikingsong" would be awesome as victory music after a battle! Ferrum Aeternum would be totally sweet as campaign music

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast