Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The RoP Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rez View Post
    I have to say this first because it affects everything else. Xenophon's account of Cyrus the great is almost entirely fictional. It was written as an example of Xenophon's ideal king and used to demonstrate how a fictional, perfect ruler could make a state powerful. Its good that you read it but it actually tells us more about 4th century Persia than the time of Cyrus.

None of the good ones.

Darius was the guy that came up with the story of the Magii that took Bardyia's place. Read the behistun inscription.

It wasn't a revolt, contemporary accounts (Nabonidus chronicle) state that it was the Medians who attacked the Persians. Media was not in possession of Persia at the time of Cyrus.

Its possible either way. But if it was Bardyia then that would mean that Cambyses likely never even tried to assassinate him and that rumour was started by Darius who needed to discredit the late king as a fratricide.

Its likely he was murdered by Darius who then went on to assume control of the army and plot his way to Kingship based on the lie that he was avenging cambyses and kicking a false pretender off the throne.
    dude you're the god of history. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze View Post
    Better to make myself clear than getting you an infraction, right
    what is an Infraction ??????
    Last edited by rez; April 09, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Re: Rise of Persia III - Preview I

*pppssst, edit button*
    Infractions are bad, basically. They make bad stuff happen

Quote Originally Posted by rez View Post
    I have to say this first because it affects everything else. Xenophon's account of Cyrus the great is almost entirely fictional. It was written as an example of Xenophon's ideal king and used to demonstrate how a fictional, perfect ruler could make a state powerful. Its good that you read it but it actually tells us more about 4th century Persia than the time of Cyrus.

None of the good ones.

Darius was the guy that came up with the story of the Magii that took Bardyia's place. Read the behistun inscription.

It wasn't a revolt, contemporary accounts (Nabonidus chronicle) state that it was the Medians who attacked the Persians. Media was not in possession of Persia at the time of Cyrus.

Its possible either way. But if it was Bardyia then that would mean that Cambyses likely never even tried to assassinate him and that rumour was started by Darius who needed to discredit the late king as a fratricide.

Its likely he was murdered by Darius who then went on to assume control of the army and plot his way to Kingship based on the lie that he was avenging cambyses and kicking a false pretender off the throne.
    even when I hear this stuff I still respect dariush.

I just don't get it IF he was so thirsty for the thrown how can he be related to cyrus ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze View Post
    *pppssst, edit button*
    Infractions are bad, basically. They make bad stuff happen
    bad stuff ????? your not up to kill me are you?
    Last edited by rez; April 09, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis

Me too, he was a badass.

I just don't get it IF he was so thirsty for the thrown how can he be related to cyrus ?
    Its almost certain that he fabricated his lineage as well to make it seem like he was related to Cyrus when he really was'nt.

Of course its always possible that Darius was telling the truth.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by the persian Immortal View Post
    but cyrus grow up in his grandfather palace and how he was allowed to use his hunting parks and injoyed his travel to mada with his mother.

there is legends about kuroshs birth many people think that astyages had a night mare that a river that starts from his dougter mandana the river floods and it spreds and destroyes all the known world.

he asked for help from his assistand they said that his dougter may not marry a noble median cause if she does his son is caursed and will take over the world and take the thrown from you (astyages)

so he desided to marry his dougter to the persian king kambujeh (cyruses father) that served the median empire at that time.

after the marriage celebration astyages had an other night mare he saw that a plant that grows in persia and that plant become a tree and the tree grows bigger and bigger fast soon the trees shadow covers all the world.

after this dream astyages sends some assasins to kill his grandson cyrus while his still a baby and......... .

but after years that cyrus showed up again when he was under 12 astyages realized who he is and since he felt sorry about what he had doned he deside to take care of young cyrus. they say that cyrus realy loved his grandfather and he offered a great assistend during the wars between assyria and mada while he was the ruler of persia.

so astiyages was a good king, gadafi is killing off his own people whith all his military power never ever compate them .

still I'm not 100% sure about this stuff I have readed 3 books about this the most famous one was the book xnophones writed about cyrus the great .

music to my ears thanks man , I live in australia for 2 month now and when ever I tell people were I come from (Iran) every body thinks that I'm an Arab for some reason.

we are 100% different from arabs. we onley have the same religient Islam.
    which I still think that isn't a cool religient like zoroastarianism
    yea i have read that story but there was nothing about Cyrus helping his grandfather and the book which I
    read was written by Mousa Nasri known as Love and Reign.
    And yes lots of people mistake b/w Persians and the Arabs Just because they are both eastern and have the same religion.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by the persian Immortal View Post

Power-hunger is norm, not exception. Cyrus was an exception, even though I suspect he was no less brutal and no less a cold-calculating person. (Which is not too bad in my eyes)

bad stuff ????? your not up to kill me are you?
    Infractions are points which the moderators give you for not following the ToS. 1 does no bad, 2 remove social groups, 3 don't allow you to post visitor messages, 4 don't allow you to receive VMs and disable rep, 5 do something worse and 6 suspend you.

Quote Originally Posted by equites
    And yes lots of people mistake b/w Persians and the Arabs Just because they are both eastern and have the same religion.
    No, they don't. Most arabs are sunni muslims, and almost all Persians are shia muslims. (They hate each other more than cats hate dogs).

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    No, they don't. Most arabs are sunni muslims, and almost all Persians are shia muslims. (They hate each other more than cats hate dogs).
    Yes but its the same religion such as the christians have the catholics etc.
    And almost all the rituals are same.

Quote Originally Posted by equites View Post
    Yes but its the same religion such as the christians have the catholics etc.
    And almost all the rituals are same.
    It's more like Orthodox church and Catholic church. They despise and fear eachother worse than plague.

ithinkitsdead's Avatar Semisalis

Yep, the Christian sects tend to have pretty harsh words regarding one another.
    Ever heard a Catholic find out their neighbor is Baptist? O.o

Couldn't help myself.

Well, the catholics have vaged crusades on the orthodox christians.

The Sunni and Shia have fought more wars than anyone cares to recall.

Civis

Recently lots of Shia are converting into other religions like Zoroastism or becoming Sunni after the exposing of the Islamic Republic.

Recently lots of Shia are converting into other religions like Zoroastism or becoming Sunni after the exposing of the Islamic Republic.
    I wonder what'd happen if Iran became Zoroastrian again? That'd be fun.

Dude that was just a joke I did not meant to compare the Persians with those Arabs.
    As was most of what I'm saying. I mean, yeah, I think those guys are retarded. But I just felt like making a couple of Libya jokes. Because, well, nobody ever seems to.

yea i have read that story but there was nothing about Cyrus helping his grandfather and the book which I
    read was written by Mousa Nasri known as Love and Reign.
    the book I read was named KUROOSH THE GREAT RULER OF THE WORLD and some western dude had writen it.
    cyrus grow up in his Grandfathers palace and cyruses first battle was against the prince of assyria wich was invading medians borthers he (cyrus) was onley 16 years old at that time and he defeated the assyrian army alongside his uncle hovakhshtara and his granfather agydehak .

so he helped his grandfather.

I wonder what'd happen if Iran became Zoroastrian again? That'd be fun.
    that is the key to solve all Irans problems and give them their lost glory back

no we have many many sunni people in our country and we all love each other as Iranians.

BTW: most people in Iran , well mostly mullahs think that the Arabs are our brothers since we both have the same religion, but I have seen arabs and they simply call Iranians ADU which is arabic for ENEMY so how can we love people when they don't love us.

the reasons that the Arabs and persians hate each other is:

1.cause they were nomads running around in deserts in all their lives , eating lezards and the most Important things in their lives was camels and dats.

when we lived in our palaces. and they came out of nowere when we was too busy fighting the Roman eastern Empire and conquer us.

untill that time alexander was the badest guy in the persian history since he burned parsepolice and avesta the holey book of zoroaster.

but when the arabs came to our lands the robed our women , they burned our liberarys cause they said that it should be onley one book in the world and that is Qran other books are lies.

they make us accept their religion and if some1 doesn't they cut his head of.

they even maked us speak their language for many years people wasn't allowed to speak persian and our great sientists and grear carecter such as: Hafez Shirazi, Ferdosi and so on.
    was onley allowed to write books in arabic.

but they didn't change our language.

they also killed our legendary hero Rustam Farrokhzad not in the battle field but they assasinated him.

agin in a few years ago Iran was invaded by Iraq (sadam hossein)
    WHICH WE WON THE WAR BUT THEY CAUSED US MANY DAMAGE .

so that's why we HATEEEEEEEEE Arabsand every persian hero that kicked the Arabins ass are very respected by us Like : Babak Khorramdin, and Maziyar , Ther and so on.
    Last edited by rez; April 10, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
    BOM to Kakabis

kaesonius's Avatar Libertus

ummmm..... are we still talking about a mod here?

Quote Originally Posted by kaesonius View Post
    ummmm..... are we still talking about a mod here?
    YES we are talking about the ROPs time frame, what happened in that time....... MOSTLY !!!!

haha I would change my religion to Zoroastarianism IF I COULD.

but during the rule of the ISLAMIC repoblic of IRAN wich are dictators IF you are borned from a parents with other religions you are more than welcom to convert to Islam.
    BUT IF you are borned a muslim IF you wanna change your religion the goverment will execut you (cut your head of) STUPT STUPIT Goverment , I wish I was borned in the time of Kurosh , at least at does times if anybody hurt that your a persian the first thing they will think about would not be that your somekink of muslim terrorist.
    Last edited by rez; April 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
    BOM to Kakabis

Anyway, back on topic:
    Bull3pr00f, at this point, can you disclose what kind of troop types the Scythians/Skudata have? I remember you saying something a few pages ago about the unit rosters. But I don't recall anything specific regarding unit types.
    Last edited by rez; April 10, 2011 at 10:33 AM.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Bull3pr00f, at this point, can you disclose what kind of troop types the Scythians/Skudata have? I remember you saying something a few pages ago about the unit rosters. But I don't recall anything specific regarding unit types.
    The usual steppe roster: horse archers, heavy-ish javelin cavalry, foot spearmen and archers, heavy horse archers, etc.

Default The RoP Chat Thread

Discuss anything you like here. I don't particularly feel like holding anybody's hands or wiping away any tears so be nice and remember you all have something in common.

Oh and if you have a question to ask the team then do it here and we can try and keep the other threads cleaner.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast