Thread: Modding STW2 Battle AI?

Default Modding STW2 Battle AI?

Guys, I've been tweaking fatigue values so that battles will be less running here and there, but more strategic and more dramatic. Committing forces is now a decision you have to make in a battle, a decision that will either cost much or boost your sequence of moves. I didn't want the, "oops, run here guys we need ashigarus here".

ex. When my formation has a weakness on the right flank that can be exploited by cavalry, and the battle is close to clashing (army distance is a missile range away), and suddenly the opposing side sends cavalry there, sending spear men there will not be as effective as a 100% reinforce due to fatigue. Instead, they'll be tired, and when engaging will become very-tired after 30 seconds or so. Given the ashigarus are at some relative distance, say some 4 or 5 units away.

The cavalry sent there will also be a committed move. Pulling back the cavalry will cost fatigue as well, and the unit will have to stand for some time to regain freshness (not too long though).

In another scenario, a unit that has devastated another unit can be devastated by a lesser unit due to their exhaustion.

This means that I will have to plan my sequence of attacks to succeed in crushing the opponent's army.

At one point, I made the mistake of sending my general to destroy a not so distant archer unit. By the time the archer unit was decimated, a light cavalry unit from the opponent quickly destroyed my general unit because the general unit was exhausted, and the light cavalry was merely very tired after the clash. If the general unit would have had some window to rest, it would have destroyed the light cavalry troops. But the timing was disastrous for me.

In general, I wanted that the player must decide his formation prior to battles, and that reforming would tax his men through fatigue. In a way, turning battles into some sort of chess game.

This has been good aside from the fact that the Battle AI keeps charging and running his units instead of walking into position when attacking. When defending it's fine.

Which file do I need to edit to change this aspect of the Battle AI?

Thank you very much.

Default Re: Modding STW2 Battle AI?

There is no value you can edit. You could give all units the second wind ability and as a house rule don't use it. Not shure if the AI uses this ability though.

Default Re: Modding STW2 Battle AI?

Thanks for replying Yarkis.

Oh, there's no battle_config.xml for shogun 2? What about "battle_entities" inside the battle_entities_table?

I'm using PFM, btw. Nice tool.