Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Consulate of Aventinus and Poplicola - 543AVC

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Aventinus and Poplicola - 543AVC

I propose another motion in that case.

I. Poplicola be removed from office to allow him to be prosecuted by all the offended sides.
    II. If found innocent Poplicola be immediatly reinstated as Consul suffectus for the remainder of the term. If he is found guilty another must be elected in his place.

Seconded.

But whom will we institute as consul suffectus? Will we be accepting nominations now or in the event of Poplicola's abdication?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

I would think in the even of Poplicolas abdication surely? Poplicola might find a way to thwart the workings of the Senate once again, in which case it would be a waste of time to organise a replacement.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"This is far beyond out of hand. Each of you stand to gain something from this...while the people gain nothing but confusion amongst their leaders. I withdraw my veto and I will see to it that the people are notified that many of you refuse to bite your tongues and act as true Roman Men." Faustus was entirely disgusted he returned to his seat and waited for the senseless bickering, like they were school girls, to stop. "If you want to try Poplicola for protecting the Tribune of the Plebeians, then by all means go ahead, but by doing that you are violating the sacrosanctity of the Tribune, stating that it was not in Poplicola's right to protect the Tribune." Faustus turned his attention to Pallas. "Whatever you did in Macedonia, I agree with, they are barbaric and foolish "humans", if they can be called that. Despite personal opinions that exist here, you did what you believed to be the best course of action...I will admit, I'd have acted the same way..and many of these Senators would have as well but they are fools and cowards to admit it, blood must be spilled to ensure peace...we've seen that with the Gracchus uprising..." Faustus instinctively stood and was clenching his fists at his side, anger had overcome him. "Try him for this, try him for that... pettiness."
    Last edited by CK23; April 14, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

*Spurius laughed momentarily. A sound that was now common to those around him*
    What no response Lucius. No response from the man who has held countless Consulships, and abused half the offices of the senate? It appears I will be seeing you in court after all, and let me assure you, I will not be taking the monetary compensation option.
    *Spurius looked almost insane at the thought*

Lucius looked across the room at Geminius and forced a smile and walked to the door's edge, stopping and staring at them intently.

[Murmured, barely comprehensible by those near the door]
    Sic Semper Tyrannus...

He then turned to face Geminius once more.

I will see you in court Geminius.

Lucius walked outside the Curia, after which his lictors took him to the Basilica as they would a criminal, emotions suppressed, awaiting the storm.
    Last edited by dragoon47; April 15, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

It seems that Licinius has departed the halls, despite his sincerest wish to see Poplicola fall. So, shall we put this affair behind us and move on?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

"With Licinius's death I believe we can put things behind us and move on with all of our problems that face the Republic." Faustus nodded at Consul Aventinus. "It's sad to hear of his death but we must not stop just because one died, I propose an investigation into his death."

I second your proposal Imperious and I submit myself to run for Suffectus Praetor. I feel that we cannot waste any time on this matter.

Nor do I believe however, that the crimes of a man should be forgotten due to these unfortunate circumstances, rest assured should you chose to elect me as Praetor the trial will proceed as normal and I suggest that both men ready their accusations and defences. It is understandable if this noble body see me as over zealous in my actions but I simply wish that we can proceed without hassle in this instance, I understand that I am still a Senator as any other. Regardless, I would suggest that whoever assumes the position aims to bring this trial to as swift a close as possible whilst at the same time not allowing it to impede the works in the Curia.

What is the situation in the East I believe that it is time to request an update from Pallas as well as our other governors. Senators let us move past this inconvenience and strive to resume normal operations.

Gerges resumed his seat, he was not dissapointed to hear of the death of Licinius he had been an aggravating foe and Gerges had consistently regretted his decision not to run against him for the position of Praetor. Crushing him through the courts would have been far more satisfying and he resented that he had been outmanoeuvred in the elections.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

"I second your move to make yourself Suffectus Praetor." Faustus smiled at Gerges, a fellow Plebeian. "I agree, a swift trial and an end to this madness which has engulfed the Senate for far too long."

I suggest time for any additional candidates to make themselves know although it will slow the process it is only fair to do so unless I am given unanimous support although I urge the Senate to reach a decision swiftly, justice cannot be forestalled.

I too support Gerges' in running for Praetor suffectus. We cannot allow to let the city descend into lawlessness, especially in a situation that has seen our last Praetor murdered in Romes streets.

A silence fell across the Senate, there was no opposition and Gerges stood once more to address the house...

Then it is settled, with no opposition I am Praetor and supported unanimously by this noble house. I thank you all Senators that your prudent minds have allowed you to see the necessity of this action. Without further delay I send an official summons to Spurius Geminius Scaeva and Lucius Valerius Poplicola to the Basilica with their cases in hand. Further, all Senators should stand ready to testify and give evidence if they are called upon.

In light of the horrific stagnation of this house I propose this motion:

I. Summons shall be sent to all provincial governors for a detailed analysis of their respective lands.
    II. Failure to do so will result in an immediate recall to Rome and subsequent investigation into their actions followed if necessary by legal actions.
    Senators we have tarried too long and I fear that our enemies shall encroach upon us like curs to the ailing wolf.

"I second that motion, I believe we should add to that motion Praetor Gerges, if the Governors are indeed missing, we send a Senator in their place to take over while we conduct the investigation."

Whilst a noble sentiment Tribune I fear that we do not have enough active Senators to fulfil that obligation. Let us first see the results from the dispatches. If then it can be said that replacements are needed we shall implement that action. Moreover, I worry that by the time we dispatch replacements it will be time for elections and they will need to be called back.

OOC:Maybe its the lead thats killing off the senators?
    *Spurius remained seated, looking thoughtful. Spurius spoke quietly, with an informal tone.*
    Perhaps we could make all these provinces administer themselves for now, let them run their own state. Make them deal with the paper work, as long as they answer to Rome. Of course provinces like Hispania cannot be trusted yet, they would just revert back to their individual tribes.
    OOC: That means auto manage on, and perhaps more allied state buildings?

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

OOC: I had immense computer problems. Took me a month to fix it, gosh.

A messenger walks in, leaves a note for the scribe and leaves.

I have heard that you want a report from us governors.
    Every province is strictly under roman command, they obey our orders and i trust these men far beyond any man i have trusted. I would trust my life to these people. I am responsible for every riot that has occurred, and perhaps they think that our rule is worse than a carthaginian one. Now i just think that shall i give the most unstable provinces a part-citizen state?
    Last edited by Maiar93; May 03, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Titus did not stand up while he spoke,

Wasn't this governor reported ill?
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234