Thread: Akthross Lore

Default Akthross Lore

I have a question about the world of Akthross. I ordered the book 'A tale of Akthross' and it should arrive in a day or two, but from my understanding the timeframe of the book is somewhat narrow and centered around a smaller group of people. What I am wondering is if it would be possible to get some light fluff for the different factions and races, perhaps some type of short Akthross 101. I love fluff.

More specifically I am wondering things like; What kind of interaction is there between the different factions of the different alliances, the different kind of troops and description of the factions hint at certain behaviours. Are there any rivalries, etc. Do the dwarves talk funny? Does their females have beards? If you would sum up a dwarf using a single sentence, what would the sentence look like? Do the Orcs smell, or do they actually take regular baths?

Now I realise that most of these question are kinda funky. But for me lore is a big part of my interest for stories and settings created by other people. Also, I realise that since the mod is based from your books it may be sensitive or not to make comparisons to other published works. But I find it to be an easier way to explain things if I make comparisons and parallels to other stuff when it comes to fantasy - quiet frankly I don't know if you understand what I mean, and I don't know if I can explain it. So I'll just make an example.

Ie: The Elves.

Are they like the Tolkien elves. Live long, wise, reproduce slowly, see humans as rash and lacking afterthough, etc. Or are they more like the High Elves of the Warhammer fantasy world. A mix. Or something completely different.

Now I do realise that you've created a world of your own, and I hope you don't find my request offensive in any way - and I do understand if you'd rather put the lore into the mod itself or a book, rather then the forums. But as I said, the reason I ask is because I find history and fluff to be the meat and potatoes of my M2TW-mod experiences. I also understand if you'd rather spend the time working on the mod stuff at the moment. But, fluff is like my heroin. So I just have to make the request at least.

EDIT: And yeah, I forgot to mention I really like what I've seen of the mod so far, not only the setting, but the alliance-stuff in the game makes for some fun gaming as well.
    EDIT II: Reading the post I realise I could have asked if you could make comparisons for similarities or parallels with other well-known fantasy worlds.
    Last edited by backstrom; April 08, 2011 at 05:03 PM.

Default Re: Akthross Lore

This is a difficult and complex question... The reason for it being difficult to answer is this. The book came first, the mod was created around the wider setting of the book, as the mod progressed it became obvious that with the limitations of the game engine somethings would have to be changed. In effect Akthross has a split personality, one for the reader and one for the TW gamer. So the best way for me to answer your question, without compromising The Seeker and The Mage and it's follow on's, would be to re-post some answers to questions that have already been posted on these forums. These were written almost 2 years ago and have been copied, condensed and pasted without too much effort. I realise that most of the questions that you have asked are probably not addressed and I apologise, but rest assured that as I continue to work on the mod more text will be added to this effect.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Akthross is a medieval style world, inhabited by a number of races. These include Humans, Elves, Gnome, Dwarves, Askan and Tulkan as well as Ogres, Goblins and Xan. Each of these races was created by one of the Gods that discovered the world as described in the books prologue. Other races, present before the arrival of the Gods, also inhabit the land. Orcs, Trolls and Centaurs, and these are cleared from the main hospitable part of the continent, known as Akthross, to make way for the newcomers.

The story’s pre-history sees a rivalry build up between the Gods. This influence on the races forces a conflict between the Humans, Elves, Gnome, Dwarves, Askan and Tulkan on one side, with the Ogres, Goblins on the other. Hobgoblins are created as a slave race later and in secret by magically crossbreeding Ogres and Goblins. The result of this conflict sees the latter side driven out of Akthross, into the inhospitable lands where the Orcs, Trolls and Centaurs were forced to dwell centuries ago.

It is revealed early on in the story that the Xan vanished from Akthross at a time shortly after ‘The Final Announcement’ given by the Gods. They are not described in any detail and shall remain shrouded in mystery until the appropriate time.

The Askan and Tulkan are described as the Brother Race’s, being created by the same God, Morkiesh. They are a feline type humanoid, tribal and semi-nomadic. The two differ from each other in the colour of their fur and their traditions. Ogres’ aside, of all the God created Races, they are considered the strongest and fastest and posses a keen scenting ability making them excellent hunters and trackers. Their magic is shamanic in its nature and so limited to a few individuals in each tribe; they are an illiterate people who have no interest in the benefits of a civilised society.

All the Crafted Races share a common language, the one used by the Gods. The Orcs, Trolls and Centaurs each have their own. Most races are typical of what people will be familiar with, a few are less conventional. Goblins differ from tradition in that they are few in number and most are powerful Mages; the few that aren’t are deadly assassins.

Magic is only available to the Crafted Race’s, the Gods discover Akthross and create their Races; these first beings are known as the First Generation. They are immortals and are taught their magical skills by their Gods. Their children however, being born into a mortal world, age and die in the normal way, these descendants of the First Generation are born without an innate ability to wield magic. Magic can be learnt, given the opportunity and willingness to learn. The act of using magic is both physically and mentally exhausting and the extent to which magic can be used is determined by the strength and pureness of the individual’s blood. This threshold can be increased with practice and training. The exception to this is the Gnome’s, for them magic use is innate. The level of magic use is dependent on Race, with the Gnomes using magic constantly in their day to day life. Magic cannot defy the laws of nature because it’s drawn from nature and channelled through the God specific to the Race of the magic user. The act of using magic differs a little by Race and in general requires a paradoxical state of peace and concentration combined with something akin to prayer or meditation.

The Elves have their own woodland kingdom along the eastern coast of Akthross, the Dwarves a mountain stronghold in the centre. The Gnomes populate a hilly area to the west of the Dwarves. There are eleven human kingdoms spread between and around those first three. Ethania, Shodan, Tarn, Galan, Marl, Valan, Hetos, Degos, Ritos, Kedos and Parstan. These were mainly founded by First Generation as the human population expanded and far overtook that of other Races. The Askan live within Galan and Marl, and the Tulkan within Degos, Hetos and Parstan. These lands were originally settled by the Brother Races before the Human population grew, the Askan and Tulkan still have full autonomy and profess no claims to the lands they dwell in. Having a tribe of Askan or Tulkan live within your kingdom holds more advantages than disadvantages. Bandit problem for example are either non-existent, or very short lived.

The Orcs, Trolls and Centaurs; these Races existed before the arrival of the Gods and were cleared by them from the main part of Akthross, to a vast barren wilderness north of the Jagged Mountains. They are godless, evolved naturally and are effectively of a primitive ‘stone age’ people.
    The Ogres and Goblins are bound together by a pact between their creators, although the Ogres hold sway in the balance of power, their God being the stronger. They created the Hobgoblins as a slave race through crossbreeding and the use of dark magic. When they were driven from Akthross in their turn, they looked for a place to settle and subdued the godless races in the wilderness as they went. For centuries, they have remained in the north, forgotten as a reality by the good races and remembered by humans only as stories of myth and legend.

That was exactly the kinda of thing I was asking for. Looking forward to seeing more as the mod progresses.

Shadowlair's Avatar Civis

Maybe he should just post the entire book on here.

All hail dragonborn total war!!

Rarty's Avatar Foederatus

In some ways, i prefer not being too familiar with the lore.

For example, when playing Third Age, i always felt obliged, when playing as a good faction, to fight for the forces of good, and kill orcs and all that. It would just feel wrong for Gondor to go to war with Rohan or whatever.

This way, i find the campaign more open, i establish my own rivalries and enemies, not the predetermined ones i'm told to mindlessly fight, with no say otherwise.

Still though, if you want to learn the lore, BUY THE BOOK. the guys been nice enough to create this fantastic mod for us, and now we have the oportunity to pay him back, so take it

Hi there

I came across this Mod and now i want to ask if it is possible to open a thread with a complete introduction of all factions
    units, religion or intro videos e.g.

that would be great

is the book available in germany?
    Last edited by Eothese; April 30, 2011 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaulkhar_Melkor View Post
    Hi there

I came across this Mod and now i want to ask if it is possible to open a thread with a complete introduction of all factions
    units, religion or intro videos e.g.

that would be great
    Not yet, I'm just back from hols and would rarther work on the mod than promote it. If people don't want to take a chance and download the mod from what's already here then it's their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaulkhar_Melkor View Post
    is the book available in germany?
    It is available everywhere, but only in English.

english is no problem for me ;-)

i´m currently working on a fantasy book either

got to start writing again
    Last edited by Eothese; May 03, 2011 at 02:38 PM.

Is it only possible to purchase your novel online if one does not live in the US or the UK? There are even sellers selling your book for 56 $ used and paperback.

(http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/usedbo...s&ikwsec=Books)
    Last edited by justinius; May 08, 2011 at 10:30 PM.

I've seen it priced even higher than that tbh, and it wasn't even signed by me.

I guess it all depends where in the world you are. In the UK most high street book stores will order it for you if you ask. The same should be true else where but you will probably end up paying for the shipping cost on top of their price for the book. In the UK, at least one book store chain will actually print books for you there and then if they don't have what you want in stock, or so I'm told. Also our libriaries will order it for you if they don't have it, I don't know if that's the case where you are, but it may be worth a shot.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

How the Gnomes differ from hobbits in this world, I mean I'm assuming in the book they are short an stuff right?

Quote Originally Posted by Isais1 View Post
    How the Gnomes differ from hobbits in this world, I mean I'm assuming in the book they are short an stuff right?
    Have you actually played this mod? Or looked at the screen shots in the OP of the main thread?

But the game dont usually look exactly like the discription in the game so in the mod they are very accurate discription?

Is that a yes, or a no?

Quote Originally Posted by Isais1 View Post
    But the game dont usually look exactly like the discription in the game so in the mod they are very accurate discription?
    What is it your asking here?
    Last edited by Eothese; March 23, 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Ok so in the mod the way the Gnomes appear is it safe to say that is an accurate discription of them in comparison to the book discription of them? I would not know because I never read the book, but of they are then that answers my question

Are you simply interested to know if the Gnomes physical apperance is the same in mod as it is in the book? I'm not trying to make this hard, it's just a little difficult to understand exactly what you want to know with the way your post's read.

By the way your avoiding my question about if you've actually played the mod, I'm gussing it's a no, which I find odd for so many question especially as it's free...

Yes I have the mod, I have not played all factions yet, I was asking about the gnomes out o curiosity, sorry if I have annoyed you