Thread: Change Generals Name's and Portraits during game.

Default Change Generals Name's and Portraits during game.

Hello All I've been playing XGM for about a year and half now and loving it. Best overall mod if I say so.

One thing that has always bothered me about it in the past tho was names portraits and dead faction names like Of Sparta or Of Vienna. Dumb looking portraits with open mouths and mishapen heads. After two whole days of obsessing I have found a work around for the truly detail oriented OCD'ers out there.

The best part of this I found is when bribing a enemy general like Leionidas of Sparta and if you're lucky enough for him to get married and have a child "incredibly rare I've found, but happen to me in my Saba game twice mainly because I was cheating and just forcing factions to give me all their land. and only had 7 generals." but for some reason their last names were never the same as thier fathers so I used this to fix it and also used the portrait swap to make them appear to be of their original faction not the new one.

All of the changes I made altered my current game not just a new one I did not have to start a new game to see the affects.

Portraits

To change a Generals portrait Back up everything first of course

First Use xpak to unpack the files located in "\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\data\packs\

Once unpacked Copy and paste the new portraits folders located in"\DATA\UI" to \xgm\Data\UI\"faction" - for the faction you wish the change.

In the portraits folder you will find two folders "Cards" and "Portraits" each containing three folders "dead" "old" "young" you will have to edit all 6 folders to completely change the portrait.

Now open a saved game and find a portait of your general that you hate. remember it and open the "portraits" folder choose one of the sub folders I usually picked "young" and use a tga thumbnail viewer to located that portrait.
    Each tga file should be named with a number like 080.tga

Then pick a new portrait for the general. To change the portrait you will have to basically switch portrait file names with your newly chosen one. For example if I hate 080.tga and want my general to be 120.tga I will have to rename all 120's to "080" and all 080's to "120". it's not as time consuming as it seems.

This has to be done for all 6 folders
    \UI\ROMAN\PORTRAITS\CARDS\DEAD\
    \UI\ROMAN\PORTRAITS\CARDS\OLD\
    \UI\ROMAN\PORTRAITS\CARDS\YOUNG\
    \UI\ROMAN\PORTRAITS\PORTRAITS\DEAD\
    \UI\ROMAN\PORTRAITS\PORTRAITS\OLD\
    \UI\ROMAN\PORTRAITS\PORTRAITS\YOUNG\

Names

Changing names is much easier. Back up everything first of course

Open folder \The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\xgm\Data

Edit this file

\Rome - Total War\xgm\Data\text\names.txt

For Example I used the Roman last name "Capito" I went thru the file and changed

{Capito} Capito

to

{Capito} of Sparta "no underscore needed"

Save the file when finished and when you start your saved game the name should be changed to Nero of Sparta and not Nero Capito

That sums it all about up sorry if this is posted somewhere else I don't really every post on forums so excuse the mess. I figured alot of hardcore fans would love to know this.

If anyone else tries this and verifys it please post here so I know it wasn't just a fluke.
    Last edited by Unluckie_; April 09, 2011 at 05:57 AM.