Thread: Fire by Rank?

Default Fire by Rank?

I recall reading that this mod reintroduced fire by rank...but when i play the game the ENTIRE ranks fire. I tried meleeing with my Old guard and was wondering how they got cut down so easily...and I noticed that Entire ranks fire at the same time, whether it be 5 lines deep, 4 lines deep, so on. Is this intended? Is it something with my modmanager? Because that's really game breaking for me in the modmanager i have it set up the way the readme tells me, core above 1805 campaign. I have steam NTW, the only other mod I have dled is Napoleon Total Factions.

Default Re: Fire by Rank?

This mod has no fire by rank. It is not historical and has gameplay issues like whole units not beeing able to shoot when one guy is missing.

okay i'm with you on the fire by rank not being histoircal, but entire units being able to shoot is intentional? a square has as much firepower as a thin line of infantry. it makes melee charges 100% suicidal! but okay maybe i'll get used to it.
    Last edited by Zin3dineZidane10; April 08, 2011 at 02:43 AM.

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

entire units being able to shoot is intentional?
    No, it's a bug that was introduced in Empire Total War that was never resolved. it's also in Napoleon Total War. With this bug, you can have an entire unit walk to it's intended position and form up on the line. Instead of firing by drill (which ever drill they are suppose to fire with), they will just sit there and let the enemy shoot it to death. The reason? There is one soldier that got stuck on a fence and is still walking across the map and never made it to the line to allow the AI to start it's fire drill. The CA team has decided that it is not worth spending their time fixing the issue and it's better to use their time to move on with other projects -- such as Shogun 2 Total War -- and those editing tools they been promising since Rome Total War.

a square has as much firepower as a thin line of infantry.
    Actually a infantry unit in square can only fire under ideal circumstances on any side of the firing square at a maximum of 25% of its effective firing power because the unit is divided into four halves. But I do agree it is much more devastating to cavalry or anytime that unit might be under the threat of getting surrounded.

There was a mod I think that was made for TROM2 a few versions ago that allowed at least fire by rank, if you can find it someplace. I would be nice to have a few units with it; but the AI is horrible with using it properly.

Cheers!

By square..I meant a 5 line deep infantry or something. Do y'all know what I mean by entire ranks firing? in vanilla NTW only the first line or so fires, with the exception of skirmishers i believe as they all fire at once...in this mod ALL OF THE LINES fire, even line infantry. Maybe it's just me

mattebubben's Avatar Senator

not just you its a part of the mod and its bugging me =(

Quote Originally Posted by Zin3dineZidane10 View Post
    By square..I meant a 5 line deep infantry or something. Do y'all know what I mean by entire ranks firing? in vanilla NTW only the first line or so fires, with the exception of skirmishers i believe as they all fire at once...in this mod ALL OF THE LINES fire, even line infantry. Maybe it's just me
    No, that's intentional and the whole mod is balanced around this. It's the best representation of Napoleonic firefights. Btw if you look closely, not all men of the 2 line upward will fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis de Bodemloze View Post
    No, that's intentional and the whole mod is balanced around this. It's the best representation of Napoleonic firefights. Btw if you look closely, not all men of the 2 line upward will fire.
    I like this, it made me try the mod now XD

Yea actually it's turning out to be pretty good