Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: USA Federal shutdown. What's happening?

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default Re: USA Federal shutdown. What's happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkarin View Post
    Wait. So you guys are telling me the American Government is going out of business?
    Just the expendable employees and non essential services like museums and parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    no $$$-->riots ala london and wisconsin

should be a lively few months ahead
    If only riots were like what happened in wisconsin.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Republicans are trying to score a victory for the Republicans. Wait, sorry this is just coming in. Yeah, Pence meant to say its a victory for the American people. God Bless America and all that...
    Last edited by MathiasOfAthens; April 07, 2011 at 02:12 PM.

For outsiders, a Federal shutdown is a political situation not a fiscal one.

Because of the seperation of powers system set up in the Constitution, the House, the Senate and President all have to agree on a budget even if they are controlled by different political parties. Because a budget bill must be initiated in the House the most friction arises when the President and House are at odds politically, which they are now, as the starting point for the debate is very divergent.

A shutdown occurs when the political calculation is made by both sides that it would benefit them politically to reject compromise. The Dem's generally think a shutdown would benefit them politically, as the last time it happened in an almost identical situation, it worked out very well for them (see 1996 Federal Elections) so they have been baiting the Republicans to shutdown the government. For the past few weeks the Repulican leadership in the House hasn't been sure a shutdown would benefit them politically and so they have kicked the can down the road by passing compromise budget bills that last a week. However, it seems that they now believe a shutdown would be in their political interest.

So in short, this is all political manuevering linked only to the coming election season, and not the fiscal situaiton of the Federal governemnt.
    Last edited by Sphere; April 07, 2011 at 02:18 PM.

Of course its not a fiscal situation. Beyond the outrageous amounts the republicans want to cut. Ryan own proposal talkings about repealing Obama care and Medicare...

What Republicans want to cut is peanuts when compared to what needs to be cut over the next 10 years.

Good, now only if they could stay shutdown.

Why do you republicans want to cut sooo ing much... .

lordyu... since there is so much that you think needs to be cut can you mind listing them here.

Both sides are waiting for the other to propose cuts to Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. Everybody knows they are needed, and that they are at the core of future deficits, but both sides also know that whoever proposes the cuts first is commiting political suicide.

When GWB pushed SS cuts in 2004-2005 he got hurt very badly in the 2006 election. When the Dems proposed cuts to Medicare in 2008-2009 (the whole Death-panel saga) they got hurt very, very badly in the 2010 election (though in the end they did cut Medicare slightly, by disguising it with smaller Medicare increases in other area's.)

At this point niether side wants to initiate the cuts, as it's essentially making a rod for their own backs. And using history as a guide it would cost them the 2012 election.

selder's Avatar Senator

it wont have any real impact unless of course you are a disabled veteran and then you will just not get your benifits and some medical treatments might get posponed...so who really cares
    In the garb of old Gaul, with the fire of old Rome,
    From the heath-covered mountains of Scotia we come;
    Our loud-sounding pipe breathes the true martial strain,
    And our hearts still the old Scottish valour retain.

Yeah but the Tea party wants the cuts so...

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Yeah but the Tea party wants the cuts so...
    Yeah, it's obviously their fault, since they're in control of Congress and everything...

Some people are ready to blame the conservatives for everything. This failure to compromise is the entire Congress' fault. Dems especially because they are unwilling to compromise or talk about SS reform. Without cuts, our government will go down the long road to Greecdom.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Conservatives have really set the bar so high that Dems cant compromise. Boehner wants to but the tea party caucus doesnt.

But your blaming Dems because they wont cave into the Tea Partys demands?

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Conservatives have really set the bar so high that Dems cant compromise. Boehner wants to but the tea party caucus doesnt.

But your blaming Dems because they wont cave into the Tea Partys demands?
    So you are saying a less than 2% cut in the budget is too tough? If I ever saw an unreasonable position - it's that. Do you realize that the British government last year made 25% cuts in most of its budget items?
    Last edited by Big War Bird; April 07, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Ryan talking about cutting social security and Medicare... think one of his ideas revolved around privatizing it.

Let Bush Tax Cuts expire.

Ryan talking about cutting social security and Medicare... think one of his ideas revolved around privatizing it.

A complete non issue at the moment. His plan has nothing to do with the current year budget and the impending shutdown.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Imperial's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Alkarin View Post
    Wait. So you guys are telling me the American Government is going out of business?
    Closing up shop!

selder's Avatar Senator

the conserepubdemotea party will fix it.
    In the garb of old Gaul, with the fire of old Rome,
    From the heath-covered mountains of Scotia we come;
    Our loud-sounding pipe breathes the true martial strain,
    And our hearts still the old Scottish valour retain.

Here's an article on which parts of the government will shut down and what won't.

(There is a lot more in the won't be shutting down column)

Funny Story:

I actually had planned on being at Mammoth Cave National Park this weekend, but my wife fell and broke her leg last week so we had to cancel.
    Last edited by Big War Bird; April 07, 2011 at 03:55 PM.

-Ella Hill