Page 9 of 116 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature Requests

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Feature Requests

I'm Italian too, Duke Nukem was the most popular shooter in the 2nd half of the 90's along with Quake... This is gaming history now it seems...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Spartan1015's Avatar Semisalis

I have seen a pic. on the internet of spartan archers and calvary, mine putting them in their?
    "The Spartan Don't Ask How Many, Only Where They Are - Agis of Sparta 415BC"
    Fenix Maximus - Lost Son Of Ares And Aphrodite, Trained By The Gods And Spartans, Everything Else Is Unknown About The Great Hero.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Spartan1015: The GCS already have a pretty complete range of cavalry and archers, and there was never anything very special about Spartan archers or cavalry. The Spartans typically used slaves and mercenaries for that kind of job. Certainly Spartan citizens wouldn't have been caught dead fighting with what they regarded as efeminate weapons like bows.

Spartan1015's Avatar Semisalis

awwwwwwww, LoL!
    "The Spartan Don't Ask How Many, Only Where They Are - Agis of Sparta 415BC"
    Fenix Maximus - Lost Son Of Ares And Aphrodite, Trained By The Gods And Spartans, Everything Else Is Unknown About The Great Hero.

just some of my thoughts on the current game of xgm. first i'll say that i really enjoy xgm. it has got exactly what i'm looking for(maybe too much as you'll read). the mundus magnus map is great. i like all the features in the mod, loyalty, night time fights, great unit skins, etc. without going overboard with modifications like formations which for me are never done well. playing vanilla as greek/macedon left a lot to be desired, and when i stumbled upon this mod it was like a dream come true. adding so many units is great and all, but i think to a certain point it too can get a little overboard. my game as greek, as it's the only faction i've ever played on xgm is just too easy. we get phalanx, spears, swords, peltasts, archers, calvarly, basically every unit type short of elephants. for this reason, i felt vanilla was on to something by giving certain factions unit types that other factions couldn't have. this forced you to play to your strengthes knowing full well your weaknesses. whereas now i can just whoop anything that gets in my way. for example, greeks already got a very impressive roster of infantry, so why not give them lighter calvalry and get rid of the ability to make creten archers? i guess i'm looking for a sort of rock paper scissors balance between factions. you've got barbarians, romans, greeks, etc, who each should have their specialities and weaknesses rather than all of them being able to recruit the same unit types. i know greeks specialty is the phalanx, but now they also have units comparable to romans or barbarians infantry. now i'm not saying vanilla was perfect either, some factions clearly had an advantage over others, but i was still able to distinguish the different specialties. however you want to take this, or even if you completely ignore it, i still enjoy and will continue to play xgm. at the moment, i'm trying to keep iberia alive from carthage by destroying the carthage settlements in spain and then handing them over to iberia

oh and the spartan royal guard is just a painful tease for me as i can't justify training them
    Last edited by modernfd; May 12, 2006 at 10:02 AM.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Dime i was wondering what is your position about importing more developed cities for the barbaric factions? is it too early for the game time?
    Edit: i was thinking that maybe for XGM 5 you could make kind of marian reforms for barbs to get better cities
    Last edited by Kara Kolyo; May 12, 2006 at 08:43 PM.

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Why don't just have the BI tech instead.
    After all you are using shieldwall, swimming from BI.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

modernfd: Thanks for the feedback. In fact the GCS do get elephants as well - you just need a province with an elephant resource. I have taken a different tack to CA in trying to make the game a challenge. CA did it by giving most factions a severely limited range of unit types, resulting in a limited range of effective tactics. Playing Greek factions was especially boring because once you learned how to use a phalanx, there was only one dominant tactic, and it almost always worked (make a box, wait for the enemy to finish dying). I have tried to go for a more realistic range of unit types and tactics, while using other means to make battles more of a challenge.

Kara Kolyo: I think huge cities are out of the question. It just doesn't fit the time period. But I might add large cities and another tech level.

Well, once we get the government system working we could allow barbarians to "evolve" in some cities by choosing a certain government types...
    Of course this wouldn't be effortless and 100% smooth for them so that they maybe would get some economic bonuses at the price of loosing military effectiveness in large cities, forcing the player to have settlement specialization...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

sounds great to see the barbarians spoiled by "civillization", but not too spoiled maybe large cities sounds like good compromise. this maybe will need some more units :hmmm:

Proud patron of Cymera

I have an earlier version of XGM, and I'm not sure if this is in the latest, but I request... floating corpse in river...

You get floating corpses if you use BI-XGM.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo
    You get floating corpses if you use BI-XGM.
    Then I would have to start a new campaign if I reinstall XGM for BI... ...

I guess I'll have to continue my Greek Empire without the floating corpse for now... I can play without it...

Your saved games should work fine. Just run the BI-XGM installer that came with whatever version of XGM you have.

^Cool, I'll try BI-XGM.

Dime do you have plans for making trainable generals for the barbarian factions? i know now how to do it myself but it would be good to have it

Proud patron of Cymera

Kara Kolyo: I'll add them in the next beta release.

Dimebagho, if it wouldnt be too much trouble for you, can you remove some stupid units and such. because i cant seem to be able to get rid of any myself! everytime i remove something i cant start a campaign and causes crashes!

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Kolyo
    Dime do you have plans for making trainable generals for the barbarian factions? i know now how to do it myself but it would be good to have it
    Well, I think that having trainable generals for barbarians would be too much of a stretch historically speaking...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

ok than trainable warlords afterall not all barbaric leaders were chosen by blood, if you become famous warior men will follow you.

Proud patron of Cymera