Page 7 of 116 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature Requests

Locky's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Feature Requests

Lol, Spartans. As in the citizen's faught purely as Hoplites. By 200 BC, there was barely 300 citizens. Helots and what not filled up "support" troop positions.

'Locky: As zarax said there is no way to have different recruitment times or costs, but it is possible to have different recruitment requirements in different areas. It would be possible to require the construction of a special building (like a military colony) for the recruitment of Spartans elsewhere. I'm not wild about the idea though. The Spartans never succeeded in transplanting their social system, and they tended to stay pretty close to home.

Making the Spartans inspirational is easy enough, but it would require changing the legionary eagle references to something more generic.

Zarax: Galatians sound fine to me, but it may be a while before I can do much modding. I'm moving to Boston in a month or so, and I'll be pretty busy between now and then."

yeah. I know, the Spartans tended to stay close to home. But making them inspirational, would be fair, other troops would think highly of them no doubt.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Feature request list updated, check the first post...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax
    Is there anything you would like to see in the next versions of XGM? Post here!

Updated: 05/07- Zarax

Here is a short resume of what has been asked lately: I have sorted this into "Might Happen", "Has Happened", and "Won't Happen".

Might Happen

- I think I've found a better way to implement sword/spear units like hypaspist with shield wall: they should get sword as primary weapon and spear as secondary one. This way they should fight with sword when out of shield wall, while defend with spear when they are in shield wall...

- Belief system implementation based of "political systems" (in the works), possibly the fun/law buildings can be linked so that different government gets different means of controlling the population

-Macedonia: Agema Hypapists - Sword and javelin armed, with stats on par with praetorians, 3 years production time

-Pontus: some kind of galatian (gaulish mixed with greek looks) swordsman will do, same thing for chariots as seleucids

-Pontus: their chariots should get the javelin animation and appropriate stat change

-Numidia (and Carthage?): Numidian heavy cav - similar to pontus heavies but with a barbarian look as the few heavies numidians had were celtiberians

-Game balance: bring down libians to max torakitai level stats and down a tech level so they will be easier to build but weaker... Leave their barracks level for the good merc units like hoplites or scutarii, even though mercs should get a different kind of building the more i think about it...

- all roman cavalry units should have -2 morale as they are way overwpowered now and historically the quality of their cav was so poor that they had to rely mainly on mercenaries for that role.

- set the late roman cav as non trainable in italy

- cosmethic change: I would give the samnites hoplite style spear so that they don't look like pushovers anymore

- It has been suggested to add more "depth" to the Iberians, to answer the best thing would be to add new units and buildings.

- Loyalty system featuring rebels for the bigger factions (in development=

- New mercenaries suggestions:

- Mercenary galatians, similar to sword warband and possibly to chosen swordsmen after marius

- Greek Ballista mercenaries, available in areas with historical hellenistic presence

- mercenary gladiators, available in Rome and Lepcis magna (if someone knows other historical major gladiator recruitment/gathering areas please report!), should be very rare

-Ptolemaic temples of set and horus gives exactly the same bonuses and the eggies lacks a "military" temple... Could you change one of them so that it gives some kind of bonus to troops?

-Scythian style axemen as a steppes AOR unit.

-would you consider giving different objectives to the ptolemies? and i was thinking that would be great if the parthians have the goal to conquer all the greek capitals- something like "Remember Persepolis!", and the parthian king to have the ability to become king of the kings and "aryamehr". thanks

-Another change you might do is to add a rebel stack in Sardinia between the mountains as that zone historically wasn't an easy walk for any army, even the romans had to make 4 separate campaigns to pacify the island... Maybe you might also want to change the name to Ichnusa, which is the punic name.

-What about my idea of adding AOR elephants? I really enjoyed Asiatic and Indian war elephants in RTR. Moreover this could revitalize the eastern side of MM campaign map, which currently is not strategically very important.

-small african elephants should be restricted to africa, indian type ones shoud require an extra turn to recruit for Carthage representing the fact that they were much harder to import for them and quite rare.

-demolishable grain storages to boost population for small settlements

-reduced farming levels for less important cities, this would make holding some places more important.

-what about giving overhand spear to thureophoroi and thorakitai?

-thracian gothic cavalry

-replace legionary cavalry with heavy auxiliaries from different places, basically roman version of barbarian nobles and other factions heavy cav

-your idea for culture specific barracks was nice DBH, it's definitely worth a shot

-increase large stone wall defences and move them to the huge city level
    I'm rather fond of the first idea, for making sword/spear for shield wall.

more unique units if you know what i mean

Quote Originally Posted by rayzzz
    more unique units if you know what i mean
    Any specific suggestions?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

1) Syracuse was an Indvidual City-State (until 3rd and 4th centuries A.D. which fell under the Roman domination) I wonder if it possible to add them as a new CIV in the game?

2) I would like again to see the Amazon Archers for the Macedonians, Thracians and Scythians....

http://www.nicolet.k12.wi.us/Teacher...thology%20Link

3) Try to use different images/ for Shields, example : Greek Mercaneries used to have different Icons for their Shields

http://www.littlebigmenstudios.co.uk...es/greewf1.jpg

http://wargaming.bellerofont.net/pliki/rec/rec054.jpg

4) How about to see some greek infantry with sword as their primary weapon?

Examples the Royal Corinthians used to have sword and dark - blue plumes

http://www.mwart.com/xq/ASP.productl...with-plume.htm

http://www.mwart.com/xq/ASP.productl...s-and-belt.htm

5) If possible make the AI to use the best units they can, I play with Greek Cities and every time I am against Seleucid army they use more low quality units like Thorakitai and Thureophoroi....

Thats for now...... :original:

Thanks for the extend greek patch, you made the game more interesting

1) It will be featured as part of the independent city states in XGM4

2) Find certain historical data of amazons employed in some 200BC army and we might include it, but at the moment we're focused on more common units

3) I wish it was possible, we might give some faction based variation on them but I don't know how differentiated it would be...

4) We already have hypaspists, they are a sword/javelin infantry

5) Give them time to develop and they will use advanced units, if you don't play as macedonia, pontus, romans or seleucids you might want to give them some money from time to time, it will help them to reach the necessary tech level...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

rayzzz: I'm going to add Indian Elephants in the far east of the Mundus Magnus map, although I might hold off on that until the Alexander expansion comes out, and steal a bunch of units for the far east. Otherwise I don't have much planned for new unique units.

Anastasios: (1) For XGM 4 we will be adding a non-playble Greek rebel faction, probably called the Independent City States, that will include Syracuse and a bunch of other Greek cities that currently belong to the rebels. (2) The Amazons probably never existed, although it is likely that the idea came from Scythian women, who did fight. (3) A better skin for Greek mercs is on my to do list, although I'm not much of an artist, so don't hold your breath. Thanks for the link BTW, some of those shield designs look very nice. (4) Hypaspists already fill that role. (5) I think the only problem that the Seleucids have now is that they can only recruit good pikemen in hellenic regions. In most of their territory the best infantry they can recruit is Thorakitai, until after the marian reforms. Then they can recruit copy legionaries as well.

About 3: you might recycle some rebel banners and put them on their shields as quick fix, every faction would get one so that visually it will be a bit more varied...

Other than that, could you add iberian spearment to the mercenary pool in spain? They were historically recruited by carthage and actually the battle before Zama was fought because the carthaginians felt confident enough to fight only after having 4000 of them as reinforcements.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

ive been trying to get some skins to be used for XGM but i have no time just as yet due to exams and a school entry test. if you would like to give a shot it would be really cool. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ighlight=Hades. They UI too and there are a few more unita further in the thread. The spartan cavlry is really cool

Skins are nice but we're looking into a keeping a consistent quality level between factions so that any add-on of this kind might happen as an extras rather than a full addition to the game...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

The Spartans probably produced some of the poorest caverly in Greece, lol. Rather, their allies, or mercs provided it. Still looks nice though

so will this be added to the maybes list?

Maybe...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Huzzah! i really hope this will come true. (crosses fingers)

Zarax and DeBagho thanks answering to my requests.... :original:

1) I did not know tha you are going to put another Faction in the game (The independent cities), can you give a list of which cities are going in that faction?? (or a link if you have gave that kind of list) also who is going to be the king?? I would like to see Pyrros (King of Ipirous) or Ieoron (Tyrant of Syracuse)
    why is not independet cities playable??? (why you have to make them as rebels)

2) I know that Amazons were mythical creatures coming from caucasus area, but I like the idea to exist in the game......in case you want to make them, take an idea of how they look like :

http://www.sikyon.com/Athens/Archaic...es_amazons.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/1582/amazons.html

3) The Mercs Hoplites used to have, green shileds with the greek letter Ψ, anyway I hope the shields I gave you to help you with your work.....

4) About Hypasptis Units, I prefer only with sword, none of the greek ancient infantry units use to fight and also useing the javelins (at least I have not seen them in any greek historical book when i was in school ), I m not saying that is not a good unit , but I prefer the peltasts - heavy peltasts for javelins....

New Requests........

4) The Armoured Elite Hoplites the should also wear plumes, like the Spartans, supposed to be a heavy infantry, you can use the black plumes of the Athinians for the them (Xenophon gives a good description in his notes)

5) I like the idea of a Zeus extra temple in all greek factions (after all was the King of the Gods), like in BI when you decide to be a christian, you can built a Church and a Monastery together.....

6) After the Marius reform it will good idea some Greek Units to be disappear , like the Militia Phalangites, Thoureophoroi, (Light) Javelins etc I) it will give space for more unit to add II) will make the AI to be more stronger, as it going to make better quality armies....

If you need any historical reaserch, for any future units, I will like to help you

1) There is not such a list yet but here's what could fit imho:

- Syracuse

- Nicomedia

- Emporion (MM)

- Chersonesus

- Crete

- Terentum

- the Epirus province

- Cyrene

Independent city states will not be playable as they would be a shadowing faction, meaning that once the GCS dies they would automatically become them making you automatically loose the game.

2) Look for themiskra in the game, you're going to get a surprise ;-)

3) Merc Hoplites will depend on DBH, if he'll have some extra time then we can work on them... That is unless you find someone willing to make a quick skinning job for us...

4) Hypaspists historically used javelin + spear or javelin + sword as well as tureophoroi and thorakitai did...

5) We got some ideas about implementing religions under the shape of governments, just don't expect it anytime soon...

6) This is doable, I'll think about it

About historical research, I'm basing on what EB does for quick reference, since they got professional historians their units should be as accurate as possible...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

(1) Take a look at the XGM 4 thread. I see Zarax and I are already thining alike about what the ICS will look like. (4) The javelin was often used by Greek infantry when they had to fight in rough or broken terrain that didn't suit their usual hoplite or phalangite tactics. Philip of Macedon actually trained his phalangites to use the sarrissa and the javelin equally.

Good news from the modding front, it seems that barbarians can get huge cities: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48805
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

cool some extras for some barbs sounds nice

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera