Page 54 of 116 FirstFirst ... 42944454647484950515253545556575859606162636479104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2306

Thread: Feature Requests

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Feature Requests

Gallic Chariots: I think they were added shortly after the Britons were cut. I added the current Woad Warriors and the Chariots to retain what was unique about their unit line-up.

As Hippias says the Gauls are known to have used chariots in the battle of Telamon (Etruria, 225 BC). That's a stronger historical source than we have for many of the units in the game.

Chariots would have been used by the wealthiest Gallic warriors, so they would have had the best armour available. Making them javelin chariots is about as realistic as we can get within the constraints of the game engine.

They could probably do with a name change though - as they certainly weren't "heavy" in the sense that the eastern/greek scythed chariots were.

Carthage rebels: High on my list of things to add are some new civil war scripts. I think there is a lot of potential for an interesting civil war with the Carthaginian faction, so if the new scripts work out the Carthaginian rebels will stay.

Generic AOR units: Some of these units are available over very wide areas (Barbarian Infantry are available over something like 20% of the map) so there is no way to avoid using generic names. We could of course break them up into more unit types with more specific names - but there are many other proposed changes that strike me as more urgent.

Epirus: As I have said before, I have reservations about adding Epirus, but it is the most popular request.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; September 01, 2007 at 03:23 PM.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

DBH, I'd still rather have the chariots limited to england as it was pretty much the only place where they had a real fighting purpose, outside of that it was just for transportation...

Epirus: To me it's 50-50, it would be worth only if we can personalize their roster enough, something that would require some work and may end up to be just a macedonian clone.
    Terentine cavalry and lonchophoroi would be nice to have though...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Re. the gallic chariots - i think they sit well with the current gallic faction, especially as the game starts at 280 BC and most if not all other mods seem to base their gaul faction on what caesar met 225 years later - I can't see the problem in leaving them in, as many mods have whole factions (Baktria? Sabeans?) that left nothing to base their military on other than faded pictures on few gold coins, but these factions add so much texture and variety to the game.

Gameplay, with strong historical flavour, first for me....

If Epirus are added what unique units are they going to have, wont they just be another Greek clone?

Keep the Chariots in as the Gauls need unique units as at the moment they are quite boring, good work on the other barbarian factions though

DBH, Check this stuff, some could be interesting...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56233
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Generic AOR units: Some of these units are available over very wide areas (Barbarian Infantry are available over something like 20% of the map) so there is no way to avoid using generic names.
    But what does 'Barbarian Infantry' even mean? Is it a Caledonian skirmisher? A Nervii heavy infantryman? It's just too broad a name, it essentially means nothing. Much better to use units like 'Spear Warband' and 'Skirmisher Warband' for your mercs, you already have the units and they describe specific types of infantry.

Chariots would have been used by the wealthiest Gallic warriors, so they would have had the best armour available. Making them javelin chariots is about as realistic as we can get within the constraints of the game engine.

They could probably do with a name change though - as they certainly weren't "heavy" in the sense that the eastern/greek scythed chariots were.
    Not just the name, but their stats as well are too high; Gallic chariots were used in a skirmish capacity, weren't they? Totally different from the heavy scythed chariots of the east. Also you might want to reduce their number of men a bit.
    Last edited by cherryfunk; September 02, 2007 at 09:21 AM.

A couple other things I would suggest:

- Some of the unit cards have very bright colors, like the purple Parthians -- too much like vanilla RTW for my tastes.

- I don't think the Chinese dragon makes a good symbol for Baktria -- they never used that emblem did they?

I wouldn't mind seeing Epirus as its own faction. Try and mix the roster with sucessor state troops and typical greek city troops, with added troops like eporite phalangites and tarentum calvalry. Or make the independent greeks playable and reform phyrus' army and make AOR eporite units. It could operate like the greek-cities faction, each city a sub-faction within the faction.

Light of the West
    An AAR for Fourth Age Total War: The New Shadow

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

Not another Greek/Greek influence faction....

How about those barbarian rebels? Wouldn't that be a lot more fun?

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

Maybe we should open up a poll for: Indy Barbs, Epirus or Other. Get some clear numbers on what people think will be better.

(edit) Unless DBH has already decided
    Last edited by Maraxus; September 03, 2007 at 10:21 AM.

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

LucretiusTC's Avatar Biarchus

Yep, how about the old idea of Independent Celtic Tribes as a Gallic Rebel Faction? Maybe it could include e.g. Celtiberians, Britons, Danubian Celts and Galatians. Before that it is probably neccessary to decide what will be the future position of the Thracians in the Balkans.

Luc.

We opened a poll some time ago and got inconclusive numbers...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Primicerius

I like the Thracians, I think they just need a more in depth roster. Maybe some melee light cavalry and some more Barbarian units.

Thracians already have melee light cav, ever been on the wrong side of their falx?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

don't get me started on the thracian light cavalry - they chew macedonians like lamb. their militia cavalry should probably go though

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Yep, how about the old idea of Independent Celtic Tribes as a Gallic Rebel Faction? Maybe it could include e.g. Celtiberians, Britons, Danubian Celts and Galatians.
    That's a cool idea; since the Celts were present in Spain, France, Britain, central Europe, the Balkans and in Galatia, it would give it plenty of room to be a major irritant. I think it would add much more than Epeiros, which is already represented by the Free Greeks anyway.

True it would, and expanded barbarian tribes would provide more of a challenge. In my games, once Rome gets the Marian Reforms, they steamroll over the gauls.

Light of the West
    An AAR for Fourth Age Total War: The New Shadow

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

I would love to see the Indy Barbs represent Galatia in the same way the Indy Greeks represent Epirus. They could have family members in Galatia and maybe even see Galatia expand a bit.

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

I still agree with that, we have enough Greeks in the game! That area of the map is a hot spot anyway.

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I would love to see the Indy Barbs represent Galatia in the same way the Indy Greeks represent Epirus. They could have family members in Galatia and maybe even see Galatia expand a bit.
    That would be fantastic, Galatia would be its own mini-faction and cause problems for the Seleucids and Pontus and anyone else who wants to expand in Asia minor.