Page 4 of 116 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature Requests

Default Re: Feature Requests

i noticed that the eastern factions dont have sewers or baths would it be a good idea to add them ?

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Consider it done. I did a little research on ancient plumbing, and it turns out that there was some quite sophisticated plumbing in the East dating back thousands of years before the game period. It also turns out that the Parthians encouraged hellenism, allowed the Greek cities within their Empire considerable autonomy, and had some highly developed cities. So there is no reason why they shouldn't have the basic health buildings. I have added aqueducts to Carthage and the Ptolemies, and I might add them to the eastern factions as well.

*Edit* I've added these changes to version 3.6.10, along with an iron resource requirement to construct a forge.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; April 09, 2006 at 06:20 PM.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

eastern sewers was a request i made sometime ago and i'm realy happy that is done cause i had to change it by myself with every new version. Dime you have made new 3.6.10 ? cause in the one i have eastern factions don't have sewers
    Edit: ok downloaded the new version of 3.6.10 no more edditing export_buildings for me
    Last edited by Kara Kolyo; April 10, 2006 at 03:05 AM.

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Just a little thing to allow more freedom to the player: How about removing the pop growth bonus from markets and some temples and create a building like grain storage instead?
    This way you give the player a choice to plan the pop growth a bit better and get less overwhelmed by squalor...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Kara Kolyo: For some strange reason I thought I had already added eastern sewers. I guess I meant to do it a while back (probably when you asked for it) and just forgot.

Zarax: That might work out very nicely. Maybe something like "grain imports", and have it give pop growth bonuses and tax/trade penalties to represent spending extra money to feed a larger population.

Protector Domesticus

First off: kudos for DBH and whoever else's working on the mod for sheer effort, energy and persistence.

Second: that grain thing sounds very EB-ish. I recently tried it out and found they have two levels of a "granary" type building, the first of which just gives a 0.5% or so pop growth bonus, and the secons a 1% pop growth, some trade increase (exported surplus, presumably) and a 5% public order bonus (happiness or law IIRC - the logic apparently being a better official control of distribution and the reassuring effects of proper stockpiles).
    Indeed, as of late the it has begun to seem to me the XGM has started moving increasingly in the direction of what might be termed "EB Lite" - but that's cool. EB has a lot of good, well-researched and -thought stuff (or alternatively the guys working on it can fake a good enough pretension that *I* can't tell the difference... :wink: ), but IMHO suffers a bit from being stuck in 1.2 and no BI.

Keep up the good work.

Another small balancing idea: What about limiting AOR barbarian units recruitment under city level? It would represent the progressive change of culture in a territory, while maybe other limited units for civilized factions can be made available at a superior barracks level outside their natural zones (think about phoeni infantry and apply the concept to other factions, should work nicely if carefully balanced)
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I have leeched a number of ideas off EB. Their research is good (though of course the real problem in this era is that even professional historians can't agree the basic details) and many of the features of EB are just plain cool. Being just for 1.2 is a major downside though. Personally I found the load/save bug crippling and wouldn't go back to playing 1.2 for anything. No doubt they will get it updated though.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; April 10, 2006 at 08:31 AM.

They are actually working to port the MOD to 1.5, hopefully a BI version shouldn't be too difficult to make from there, their team is large enough to have a dedicated BI coder once they get on 1.5...
    The only issue that I have with EB is that they are trying to overdo in some things, especially with scripting and governments, there is no way you can prevent the game from going unrealistic after a while and I disagree with their upkeep management which is based on getting X units with Y territories rather than fit with the limited game mechanics and apply increasingly higher expansion penalties...

So yes, in a way I'm oriented to help this mod into becoming an EB-lite but in a more game oriented way rather than trying to recreate historical conditions at every pace...
    I liked XGM at first because it reminded me of my little ZXMOD for MTW which is akin in spirit and as MTW player I aim to recreate that gaming style under the RTW engine...

EDIT: Today I'm getting prone to feedback, maybe because I have some extra free time... What about making the basic elephants trainable only in africa and having the indian type much harder to get there while outside africa (since the only other elephant area is in the east) stays at normal requirements but without getting the northern africa type?
    It would make sense because factions with access to indian elephants got little to none interest in importing the smaller african type unless they were able to train them locally... It would also represent the increased difficulty to import indian elephants in the west.
    Last edited by Zarax; April 10, 2006 at 08:36 AM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Zarax: That is always the problem with aiming for realism above all else. It isn't a practical goal with a game like this. I try to make things more realistic where I can, but only if it improves gameplay at the same time.

About the local units. Having the local units disappear at higher levels might not work out very well. In many cases the player would never get a chance to recruit them because they would already be gone by the time the player captures the province. I am thinking about giving give each culture type it's own barracks, with the AOR units only being recruitable through the barracks of the local culture. That way the local units would only be abvailable if the local culture had achieved the requisite level of development, and it would take a while to start recruiting your own high level units. The player would also have an incentive to destroy the original barracks later to avoid tyhe culture penalty.

*Edit* That makes sense, the small elephants were supposed to be a breed limited to north Africa.

I like your idea DBH, definitely worth a try imho...

EDIT: that should also include archery and cavalry barracks...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

i also noticed that thrace has theaters. I thought the readme said they were replaced by taverns ? Was it intentional ?

P.S. Didnt think my health buildings idea would get noticed.

Yeah, looks like I decided to give theatres to Thrace but forgot to update that part of the readme. Thanks for spotting that.

Miles

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it would be nice if you could add the version number somewhere on the startup screen. Maybe in the bottom corner or something. It's pretty minor, but would be helpful none the less. Thanks.

I agree, would love to know what darn version I have, somehow..

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

When you unzipp the XGM the new folder has the version number in it's heading and Dime is changing them so fast that you could just download twice a week and be quite on the tracks

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

I will add a file in xgm\data called xgmversion.txt that will contain the version number. Adding it to the loading screen would be problematic. The loading screen is quite a large file so adding it to the patch files would make them a lot bigger.

Miles

Just downloaded 3.6.12 and noticed the file. Thanks!

Dime, would you consider adding in a moderate decrease in the population growth that many cities have in RTW? It's just ridiculous with some of them, around 7%
    I know RTR changed the game so that it stunts the population growth rate significantly over vanilla rome, and that seemed to be a pretty good idea. It really helps with the problem of massive overcrowding and squalor.

That's a quite good idea, many cities reach the next level before a decent number of upgrades has been built... Having a general farming levels cut won't hurt...
    The Best Is Yet To Come: