Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature Requests

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Feature Requests

Did you try switching requirements like requires "not hidden_resource desert and factions"? Maybe this way it will work.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Locky's Avatar Centenarius

I reckon it'd be fun if all the Greek cities Hoplites, could fight in their traditional style. Perhapes it would make them somewhat weak, lacknig a Phalangist based phalanx, but it'd probably be fun and interesting, and if you have BI, you can put them into shield war to represent the Phalanx anyway. The Greeks are fine as they are, i just think it'd be interesting, challanging, most likely. BTW, love the mod, its excellent, keep up the good work

You can already train classical hoplites as GCS, try building city barracks...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Yeah, i know. But replacing all the Phalangists with Hoplites, fighting with overhand spear fighting style. So you can have armoured Hoplites, etc.

Shouldn't be to hard to mod, I think it's just a matter of replacing phalanx formation with shield_wall in EDU and replacing the spearman skeleton with the phalangite one in the descr_model_battle file...

EDIT:

I was thinking about the unified rome campaign and I came up with an idea to spice things up a bit...
    What if we create an "independent cities" faction?
    It would group the major rebel settlement like siracuse, pergamum and a few others plus working as superfaction for the slave faction, ensuring this way that it would be able to actively defend itself while not going on rampage and attacking its neighbours...

The positive effect of such a thing would be of having some rebel settlement being more than a pushover and so historically more accurate, slowing down expansion a bit and opening a few extra possibilities...

All it would be needed for it is some minor modification of one of the leftover roman faction plus some EDU and EDB editing to enable minimum buildup and recruitment capabilities (you can make them able to recuit AOR units and it will be enough) plus a faction icon (of course it won't be playable so no need for other extras)

What do you think about it?
    Last edited by Zarax; April 06, 2006 at 07:13 AM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Ok. You're idea sounds good, it'd be fun having an actual Rebel faction, that works on unified basis.

It's nothing really original, just a simplified version of what they did on EB but still it should work fine...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Yeah. Add something more interesting, though.

That's the trick, it will also help into slowing down the player's pace a bit, it's still too easy to conquer the world by 200/150BC...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

It would make a for a challenge, but it would also be anachronistic. If you want hoplite warfare wait for Hegemonia.

Here's afew points I think Need discussed...When You Play as Macadonia you can get their unique unit + The Greek Spartans when you conquer Sparta but you can conquer carthia and not recruit the sacred band. If you play as Cartha- When you conquer macadonia you can't recruit their "Elite Unit" My Suggestion Is Could Something Be Implemented to make it so when you conquer a nations capital you can recruit their special unit because your the man and took their prize city? Say I Play As greek and I conquer Thrace,Rome,Dacia,and Cartha would it be possible that I get all their "Elite Units" if I build the correct barracks,Stables, or archery range?

Quote Originally Posted by ToSly2Die
    Here's afew points I think Need discussed...When You Play as Macadonia you can get their unique unit + The Greek Spartans...
    Damn, that's a bug. You shouldn't be able to recruit Spartans with any faction besides the GCS. I know it would be nice to get those elite units with other factions, but it would be totally unrealistic.

So DBH, what do you think of the 2nd rebel faction idea?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Zarax: To make that work I would have to drop the four Roman faction campaigns, or set up the Unified Rome campaigns with separate installers, because the slave/roman faction would not work with the regular campaign. I'm not sure if it is worth doing either. The slave faction in general can be made much tougher just by giving it more money, better starting units, and better units to recruit. If they are not starved for cash they will actually develop, recruit units, and even attack. The problem is that the other factions then have trouble expanding, and in general I would rather see the other factions expand quickly and put up a better fight.

I think if we are going to play around with rebel factions, then introducing loyalty and shadow factions would be a more interesting way to go.

I got this idea by reading Zarax post in bugs reports thread about seemingly 'missing' units in various building. To prevent further confusion among the player (and maybe helping an AI a little?) Why don't we just have only one recruitment building (eg. barrack) for each factions.

zodmaner: I'm not sure if this will work - we might run into problems having so many units recruitable from one building. It would also shorten development times a little too much. I think the best solution is just to add some more units to fill out the rosters.

If it was for me I would also split metalsmith and armourer for an MTW style setup, where only a few provinces could develop metalsmith due to scarcity of quality iron in most places... It is also historical at least for the premarian period, so I would think about it at least if I was in you...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I think that makes sense for the top level the smith buildings, and it would be easy to do (just add an iron resource requirement). For the second level, I will have to check to see whether it would cause problems with recruiting, or if iron resources are too rare.

Just a suggestion about the smith buildings: take as a model the Naval&Metropolis Mod for RTR. They gave the forge bonuses to the mines (regular mines with +1 armour; mines +1 with +2 armour). This could work well if you remove the temple of forge (maybe you can convert them in morale and experience bonuses). Also they created more types of mines (gold, silver and copper) to simulate the effects of vanilla mines in the game, but obviously gold mines give you more tax and trade bonus than silver ones. I think this feature could be incorporated in the mod without major editing work and it has clear strategic effects on the game, because provinces with mines become more important than the others.
    Another featuire I like very much from Naval&Metro Mod is how they handled the naval buildings. They created a timber resource so actually you can build the most powerful ships only in provinces equipped with timber resource. This is much more realistic than building a temple of Poseidon, I believe. Again, you can modify this temple bonus in giving more experience to the ships production.

Those all sound like nice ideas Andrea69. You might see some of them in future versions.