Thread: Feature Requests

kostas84's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Feature Requests

Baktria, Independent Gauls, Romans(Rebels), Greeks(Independent) and Rome.

I think these may take priority atm
    Last edited by kostas84; March 20, 2010 at 01:34 PM.

Also, theres a typo on the Imperial Campaign, instead of Greek City States it says Greeks City Sates.

Also put more creative names for some of the barbarian and for the Generals Bodyguard units. "Cavalry" and "Heavy Cavalry" for unit names are not that good.

"Barbarian Light Cavalry" and "Barbarian Chosen Cavalry" are good names for the barbarian cavalry units. "Somatophylakes Strategou" is a good name for greek generals bodyguard unit, and "Epilektoi Somatophylakes Strategou" for after-the-reforms greek armoured bodyguards, these are good names and its a good idea for all the greek factions to have these names in the game, if ur gonna add depth to the greek factions , you can start by adding a few greek names to the greek units, which is a good idea and might attract more players.
    Last edited by kostas84; March 20, 2010 at 01:54 PM.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by kostas84 View Post
    Also, theres a typo on the Imperial Campaign, instead of Greek City States it says Greeks City Sates.
    Thanks for spotting that. The typo must have been there for years without anyone noticing.

Also put more creative names for some of the barbarian and for the Generals Bodyguard units. "Cavalry" and "Heavy Cavalry" for unit names are not that good.
    No terribly evocative maybe, but if you read military history those are the sorts of names that were actually used. Among players preferences seem to run in two opposing directions; one group wants names that say what the unit does, and another group wants more imaginative or "authentic" names. New players especially tend to fall into the first group because they find it hard to remember what all the fancy names refer to.

Ok but at least lets add greek names for the greek units, such as:

Archers = Toxotai
    Slingers= Sphendonetai
    Spartan Hoplites = Spartiatai Hoplitai
    Syracusan Hoplites = Syracousioi Hoplitai
    Athenian Hoplites = Athinai Hoplitai (not sure).
    Cretan Archers = Toxotai Kretikoi
    Generals Bodyguard = Somatophylakes Strategou
    Generals Armoured Bodyguard = Epilektoi Somatophylakes Strategou

Well, these are good examples , but if you dont want to, its ok.
    Last edited by kostas84; March 20, 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Archers as Toxotai isn't bad, but "Sphendonetai"?

And "Spartiatai Hoplitai" isn't worth it unless all Greek units have Greek names.

(Some of those have typos as well, for one, Spartiatai would at least be Spartiatoi)

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I like XGM better without too many ethnic names.

If a wide scale of Greek names get added to the Greek units, everyone will start wanting all the units of XGM given names ethnic to their own culture. Then before we know it, we'll have S'vtrahhdjjklhjhcjhnb Djkgjk or something instead of just simple Militia Spearmen and people like me, who think it's all way too confusing and largely pointless, will have been driven away because XGM becomes less fun.

Just my opinion, but I view XGM more as an extension of vanilla RTW, rather than a complete conversion mod.

I must say I fully agree with Spartan198.

I'm immortal! Unfortunately it wears off after 80 years..

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Just say no to authentic names!

Its so wrong otherwise you'd be playing EB!

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Barend's Avatar Tiro

I agree with Spartan198. Greek (and other ethnic names) are only usefull when you know that language. And perhaps some of you can read ancient Greek and Latin, but what about the lesser know languages (barbarian languages?)? If you change names into their ' original' names (=ethnically correct) then you have to do this for ALL of the units, and this would make XGM a lot less accessible to new players and players that don't know all of the languages of the ancient world around 280 BC.
    a šumšu la zakar-
    -The past is taught by those who win-

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    I like XGM better without too many ethnic names.

If a wide scale of Greek names get added to the Greek units, everyone will start wanting all the units of XGM given names ethnic to their own culture. Then before we know it, we'll have S'vtrahhdjjklhjhcjhnb Djkgjk or something instead of just simple Militia Spearmen and people like me, who think it's all way too confusing and largely pointless, will have been driven away because XGM becomes less fun.

Just my opinion, but I view XGM more as an extension of vanilla RTW, rather than a complete conversion mod.
    But with the colony system, AoR and one-barracks system, XGM plays nothing like vanilla... not that that's a bad thing.

I personally wouldn't like XGM to be swarmed by Shdasfyiwejh names either, but just plain 'Heavy Cavalry' etc. is pretty boring. It makes rosters like Parthians a bit bland, which is a crime imo as the Parthian campaign is awesome.

I think vanilla had the right balance in these respect. Sure they didn't call themselves 'barbarian cavalry', but it lends some flavour without being inaccessible. Especially when the AoR equivalents are already named like that.

Can the colour of the Indie Greeks be changed? I know it was based on romans_brutii, but imo the colour is too close to a lot of factions it regularly borders - Gaul, Indie Gaul, Pontus Armenia. Also, the colour scheme clashes very badly with the light brown of the GCS. Maybe the colour could be swapped with that of the Roman Rebels? They normally die out pretty fast, and they don't usually border any of the green factions.

IGCS would benefit from a new faction symbol, too, I think. Maybe an alternately-colored version of the GCS symbol?

i think you should add Thessalian Cav into XGM for the Greek Factions(Macedon,Greek-Cities,Seleucids,Baktria,and mabye Ptolmies.). Also they should only be recruited in the region of Thessaly.

More suggestions:

- can the Macedonians get the city-specific hoplites? I'm not sure if it happened historically, but playing a Macedonian campaign, I was disappointed that I wasn't going to get access to Athenians or Spartans.
    - the GCS phalangites all look pretty similar, both in their unit cards and on the battlefield... given that they represent very different levels of troops, could they be further differentiated?

Also i think egypt in XGM is weak honestly their unit roster is k but weak. Yiou should give them the regular levy phlangites and give them thorokitai

you should mak scythia,thrace,and parthis a little bit weaker cuz in my roman campagn the Thracians were HUGE and attacked me with HUGE armies and about scythia and parthia they should also be made weaker!and for some reason whein i installed XGM i selected Reduce AI bonuses and it didnt?
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; April 09, 2010 at 03:59 PM.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by AugustusCaeser View Post
    Also i think egypt in XGM is weak honestly their unit roster is k but weak. Yiou should give them the regular levy phlangites and give them thorokitai

you should mak scythia,thrace,and parthis a little bit weaker cuz in my roman campagn the Thracians were HUGE and attacked me with HUGE armies and about scythia and parthia they should also be made weaker!and for some reason whein i installed XGM i selected Reduce AI bonuses and it didnt?
    Egypt - aka the Ptolomies had a large native population and less greek colonists to call upon for military service - this is why they can spam numerous stacks of weaker troops - their levies are non-greek in origin...

Ok - just cos you didn't do well vs the AI - doesn't mean the game should be 'nerfed' just for you.

Scythia/Parthia - Horse Archers - Romans didn't fare very well in history vs these troops....took the advent of massed gunpowder infantry to cause the demise of the horse archer, and all other cavalry.

The AI in RTW is not very good - any experienced player can exploit its weaknesses using the correct battle map tactics, in every mode of play.
    Last edited by Unknown Soldier; April 16, 2010 at 07:00 AM.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

How about a Hannibal provincal campaign where you can play as Carthage and Rome in the Second Punic War!

Quote Originally Posted by AugustusCaeser View Post
    How about a Hannibal provincal campaign where you can play as Carthage and Rome in the Second Punic War!
    You didn't have to make a whole separate topic for this in submods. Just posting it here would have been fine.

k srry about that

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Hannibal Campaign: There is some role-playing potential for a Hannibal campaign, but in many ways it wouldn't be much different from the main Carthage campaign, and it would be technically difficult to represent the real strategic challenges faced by each side. Hannibal had one army of uber-veterans in Italy, but little in the way of support from Carthage. With the full backing of Carthage the campaign would probably be too easy.