Page 1 of 116 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature Requests

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Feature Requests

Is there anything you would like to see in the next versions of XGM? Post here!

Updated: 06/13- Zarax

Here is a short resume of what has been asked lately: I have sorted this into "Will happen", "Might Happen", "Has Happened", and "Won't Happen".

Will Happen

-would you consider giving different objectives to the ptolemies? and i was thinking that would be great if the parthians have the goal to conquer all the greek capitals- something like "Remember Persepolis!", and the parthian king to have the ability to become king of the kings and "aryamehr". thanks

-What about my idea of adding AOR elephants? I really enjoyed Asiatic and Indian war elephants in RTR. Moreover this could revitalize the eastern side of MM campaign map, which currently is not strategically very important.

Might Happen

- splitting recruitment zones for african and indian elephants would be good, make the african ones recruitable only there (wouldn't make sense to spend money to import them elsewhere if you can get the better ones) and the indian (and armoured) ones with 3 turns for carthage (they use a different unit IIRC)

- adding one point of experience and/or armor/weapons upgrade to the last level of the temple of baal would help the carthaginians a lot

- consider making the hillmen armed with an axe or sword instead with spear (DBH, you proposed some kind of AOR axemen for the eastern areas, alternatively I think that it would be easy to just give them a javelin so that they will be some kind of eastern heavy skirmisher)

- have the rebel factions using pirate ships instead of biremes

- some kind of post marian unit for most factions would help, it hasn't to be special or high level, just some existing medium unit with a bit more armour and a slight texture change to show it would do the trick...

- a few mercenary ballistas in hellenic areas wouldn't hurt imho

Some examples:

germans: throwing axemen (historical, caesar wrote of them)

gauls: some kind of armoured spears?

numidia (if it stays): numidian heavy cav, similar to pontic heavies but with more javs

carthage: armoured lybian spearmen (historical somewhat, they upgraded their spearmen during the 2nd punic war)

hellenic factions: should get the ability to recruit hoplites pre marius and have them replaced by slightly improved thorakitai, maybe you could make them more similar to the EB version so that you will have a javelin/spear unit available at lower level than hypaspists (ok, not very historical but we all know that marian reforms comes quite earlier than their real date and thorakitai were quite new units in 280BC)

Parthia: Clibinarii (similar to the clibinarii immortals from BI)

Thracia: thrachian gothic cav (have no better idea)

Ptolemies: basilikon agema changed to be similar to seleucid silver shields (happened around 60-70BC but still in game timeframe)

Roman rebels: you could get some units from BI here, like the veteranii (comitanenses), bucellarii, auxilia palatina and some AOR units like eastern armoured archers or equites clibinarii mixed with some old style units like triarii, so that you wouldn't be fighting a clone faction for all the game

Iberians: Already got armoured scutarii, maybe they could make use of some stealthy unit

- Belief system implementation based of "political systems" (in the works), possibly the fun/law buildings can be linked so that different government gets different means of controlling the population

-Macedonia: Agema Hypapists - Sword and javelin armed, with stats on par with praetorians, 3 years production time, post marius

-Pontus: their chariots should get the javelin animation and appropriate stat change

-Numidia (and Carthage?): Numidian heavy cav - similar to pontus heavies but with a barbarian look as the few heavies numidians had were celtiberians (post marius?)

-Game balance: bring down libians to max torakitai level stats and down a tech level so they will be easier to build but weaker... Leave their barracks level for the good merc units like hoplites or scutarii, even though mercs should get a different kind of building the more i think about it...

- cosmethic change: I would give the samnites hoplite style spear so that they don't look like pushovers anymore

- It has been suggested to add more "depth" to the Iberians, to answer the best thing would be to add new units and buildings.

- New mercenaries suggestions:

- Greek Ballista mercenaries, available in areas with historical hellenistic presence

-Scythian style axemen as a steppes AOR unit.

-Another change you might do is to add a rebel stack in Sardinia between the mountains as that zone historically wasn't an easy walk for any army, even the romans had to make 4 separate campaigns to pacify the island... Maybe you might also want to change the name to Ichnusa, which is the punic name.

-reduced farming levels for less important cities, this would make holding some places more important.

-what about giving overhand spear to thureophoroi and thorakitai?

-replace legionary cavalry with heavy auxiliaries from different places, basically roman version of barbarian nobles and other factions heavy cav

-your idea for culture specific barracks was nice DBH, it's definitely worth a shot

-increase large stone wall defences and move them to the huge city level

Gaul gets the British javelin chariots (from BI), a heavy spearman (like the iberian one), perhaps the briton woad warrior, as a Belgae AOR unit.

Germans get a throwing axe (from BI) for the night raiders, shieldwall rather than phalanx for the spear warband

- Iberians get Hillmen as an AOR in the pyrenees and/or something like the later almuguhavars i.e. javelin skirmishers that are decent at hand to hand. iberian spearman get schiltron formation (good defensive fighters at siege of Numantia)

- Numidians get garamantae javelin chariots and a similar unit to nubian spearmen, available from their southern provinces.

- All basic spear warbands get one javelin in addition to their spears (like in BI, but just one)

Naked fanatics only for the Gauls and iberians - much more expensive andwith 2 HP (these guyswere on magic mushrooms - think native american ghost dancers)

Has Happened

-demolishable grain storages to boost population for small settlements - - done in XGM 4 -Zarax

- To balance this, you could allow romans to recruit numidians in africa and sarmatians around the bosphoran sea (in that case Seleucid should get them too), so that it will be historically more accurate too - More or less done with the AOR system -Zarax

- Torakitai should get shield wall Done (from 3.5.2) and Thureophoroi have lost shield wall. -DBH

-Eggies: basilikon guardsmen, looking like pharaoh guards but sword and shield... chariot will die with pleasure there lol[Done, more or less, the basilikon Guard will be a hoplite style unit.

-Thrace: Illirian torakitai, like the illirian peltast but with chain mail and falx as 2nd weapon... would look sweet.Done.

-Carthage/iberia: Armoured Scutarii - Chain (or muscle cuirass) armoured scutarii, stats at least on par with principes. Alternatively they could also train numidian legionaries in africaDone, more or les. Poeni Infantry become a legionary style unit.

- recuitable generals for romans, greek, carthage, eggies, pontus and parthia Done (from 3.5.3) for all factions except barbarian. You can recruit generals with an Imperial Palace. Cost is 3120 for all factions. -DBH

- gameplay: Add royal/elite barracks for carthage and move up the sacred band there, giving a +1 experience bonus for other units

- mercenary median cavalry, available in eastern areas and asia minor: heavy cavalry (similar to cappadocians) armed with axes (ap attack), should replace southern sarmatian recuitment pool.Done.

- Celtiberian heavy infantry: Heavy spearmen with chosen swordsmen skin (so chainmail armoured), a scutum (same shield as scutarii) and spear of course. Recruitable by the iberians and available as mercenary unit in celtiberia and border regions. This is an historical mercenary unit employed by the carthaginians during the 2nd punic war.Done.

-Pontus: some kind of galatian (gaulish mixed with greek looks) swordsman will do, same thing for chariots as seleucids Done - in the form of Galatian Swordsmen AOR unit.

- all roman cavalry units should have -2 morale as they are way overwpowered now and historically the quality of their cav was so poor that they had to rely mainly on mercenaries for that role.Done for Equites.

- Loyalty system featuring rebels for the bigger factions (in development) Done for the Romans and GCS. Ptolemies, Seleucids, and Carthage will be done.

- barbarian and eastern factions ability to get higher city levels and some more advanced buildings later (they should be able to build some more "civilized" structure, just later than the others) Turns out this can be done. The barbarians will get one new city level, and some new tech and units to go with it.

-Ptolemaic temples of set and horus gives exactly the same bonuses and the eggies lacks a "military" temple... Could you change one of them so that it gives some kind of bonus to troops? I don't think they should get a military temple, but they should be able to build a tech one.

-small african elephants should be restricted to africa, indian type ones shoud require an extra turn to recruit for Carthage representing the fact that they were much harder to import for them and quite rare.

- mercenary gladiators, available in Rome and Lepcis magna (if someone knows other historical major gladiator recruitment/gathering areas please report!), should be very rare

Won't Happen

-Tureophoroi should get javelin with prec attribute and loose shield wall Too much like heavy peltasts then, and too good for a level one unit. -DBH

- spartans should go and be replaced by the royal guard unit (representing the few real elite spartans left) and a special building that gives experience to the troops trained there (representing the spartan higher standard of training)...I like the Spartan Phalangites too much to get rid of them. -DBH

-GCS: Some kind of sword torakitai, 1 year training time and similar stats to the premarian ones, maybe principes level? Too much like hypaspists don't you think? -DBH

- Happiness booster for the executioner square line similar to the ones given by arenas and amphitheaters: Possible events can be public executions, mass arrests and martial law.Can't be done.

- set the late roman cav as non trainable in italy I think the cost is now enough to discourage the Romans from using too much cavalry.

That's it for now! Please post your own ideas!
    Last edited by Zarax; June 13, 2006 at 03:33 PM. Reason: updates
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Hey, i'm a huge fan of the Extended Greek mod.
    First of all i want to congratulate you guys with your fantastic work.
    My question is if it is possible to make even more greek cities units?
    A lighter version of the hypaspists perhaps or others. I just like playing with the Greek Cities and want to make a lot of armies with a different composition.
    Anyhow, keep up the great work.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

pierredeg: I'm glad you like the mod. I'm always happy to look at ideas for expanding the GCS roster, but it has everything pretty well covered I think. In effect the heavy peltasts are already a lighter version of hypaspists (javelins + sword).

I have updated the wishlist with some comments about what has and might be done.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; February 27, 2006 at 01:32 PM.

I suppose you're right, after all you'll probably know a lot more about the subject than in do. Alltough i'm like probably all of you pretty interested in the greek culture.
    But i like the idea of the sword torakitai mentioned above in the list. It's something like i had in mind: lighter swordsmen for the earlier stages in the campaign.
    I'll think about something more valuable next time :-)

Ok, not sure how to treat this but should be a feature request...
    Ptolemaic temples of set and horus gives exactly the same bonuses and the eggies lacks a "military" temple... Could you change one of them so that it gives some kind of bonus to troops?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

HI i am using XGM for couple of months now and enjoy it very much. have some posts at totalwar.com but this here is the "heavy cavalry". i was thinking about giving eastern factions a unit that looks like the hillmen maybe but is armed with axes and has ap bonus. idea is that the peasant and likes are more likely to get an axe than spear. plus i hate that have to wait for far too long to get some capable infantry. thanks again

Zarax: I might give them a temple_of_forge kind of bonus. Historically their troops were pretty low quality, but in terms of technology they were right at the forefront, so I think that would be reasonable. It would also put them on a par with the Seleucids in terms of temples.

Kara Kolyo: As I understand it the Parthians barely used infantry at all. Giving them eastern Heavy Infantry is a bit of a stretch, and the Immortals are really a fantasy unit in that time frame. So I don't think I will be adding any more infantry units to Parthia.

DBH, I would rather have immortals for pontus rather than parthia, it would suit them much better imho...

Parthia already has kataphracts anyways, while the pontic lineup and culture would fit quite well that kind of heavy infantry imho being a greek influenced persian successor...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

yes i understand that parthia didn't have elite infantry units and that is normal, but i meant for some infantry that has simmilar low morale-discipline as hillmen and has other than spear weapon. maybe not for parthia but something like caucassian "whatever"that lived arround Caucassus and is available for armenia and pontus. i dont lobby for another uber unit, just some discent low level infantry

about recruitable gladiators, exept Rome maybe Capua is a good place to have them too. maybe it's good to have them in one of the thracian and gaul provinces. because lots of gladiators came from those regions. Sicily had lots of gladiatorial rebelions too. just a suggestion.

Zarax: That temple change will have to wait a bit (chaning temple descriptions is a tedious job ).

Kara Kolyo: Scythian style axemen is a possiblity for a steppes AOR unit.

couldn't ask for more just something that can actualy kill somebody for a change in the first 50 turns. HA are fun but the more units the marrier

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Hello.

How about unique victory conditions for the Mundus Magnus map?

There was a problem with the unique victory conditions on Mundus Magnus that I was unable to track down, but as it happens I found out what it was today while I was fixing a totally different problem. So unique victory conditions for Mundus Magnus will be in the next version.

Hello

I am just playing 3.6.4 with Mundus Magnus, everything looks fine. I do like the provincial campaign. The Romans are quite strong but now they tend to develop their empire just following the usual Julii's path, so Carthago has a chance to develop its empire too. Glad to see you changed Town Watch in Vigiles :-) maybe you can change the iberian faction name from Spain (which sounds a little nonsense) to something like Iberia or Iberians.

Also in future versions I'd like to build Royal Barracks for all hellenic factions. For example, to Macedons you could add a more powerful infantry (what about Sword Hypaspists? I know it would be a "what if" unit, but very funny indeed) to Royal barracks.

Dime the thing about victory conditions in MM is great. would you consider giving different objectives to the ptolemies? and i was thinking that would be great if the parthians have the goal to conquer all the greek capitals- something like "Remember Persepolis!", and the parthian king to have the ability to become king of the kings and "aryamehr". thanks

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Andrea69: Spain is now Iberia. An elite infantry unit for the Macedonians is likely - once I decide what it will be and what it will look like.

Kara Kolyo: New Victory conditions for the other factions are also likely to be added in future versions. If anyone wants to make suggestions feel free.

Agema Hypaspists might be good as new elite, maybe post marian only...

Another change you might do is to add a rebel stack in Sardinia between the mountains as that zone historically wasn't an easy walk for any army, even the romans had to make 4 separate campaigns to pacify the island... Maybe you might also want to change the name to Ichnusa, which is the punic name.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Edit: Realized this shouldn't really be in the feature request thread, but in a separate suggestion thread... sorry about that, can it be moved?

Oh, and how about having 0 recruitment time for all non elite units, but higher recruitment times for more elite units?

For the GCS it would be something like

0 recruitment time:

Peltastai, slingers, thureoporoi, levy phalangites

1 turn:

Phalangite, thorakitai, archers, picked rhodian slingers, cretan archers, rhodian slingers

2 turns:

All cavalry except for armoured, hypaspists, armoured phalangites, athenian and picked cretan archers, krypteia

3 turns:

Armoured cavalry, Sacred Band, Spartan phalangite,

4 turns:

General, Elephants

30 turns:

Spartan royal guard

So you can quickly churn out an army or garrison of non-elite units, but to build an army to conquer new land, you need to spend more time. Not sure how the AI would handle it, though...
    Last edited by mmmrrrr; March 22, 2006 at 06:54 AM.

Wwhat about my idea of adding AOR elephants?
    I really enjoyed Asiatic and Indian war elephants in RTR.
    Moreover this could revitalize the eastern side of MM campaign map, which currently is not strategically very important.