Thread: faction specific battle & march music?

Default faction specific battle & march music?

hey guys i was wondering if its actually possible to have a faction specific music theme and not a zone specific theme.

for example if i am France with north-European theme and i invade Jerusalem that is located in middle-east, is it possible to make the game play a north-European theme instead of a middle-eastern one?

thanks a lot.

kaiser1993's Avatar Senator

Default Re: faction specific battle & march music?

I tried something like this ages ago, I removed the regions in "descr_music_type.txt" for each music set,
    hoping that because they have no assigned music it will work. But it didn't. It is impossible to do so.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Default Re: faction specific battle & march music?

I've been working on some monophonic "music" coming from marching heavy units by culture, but it is kind of limited, just basic drum cadences and a few chants, and a few of the ME musicians from my Empires game. It's kind of a cool effect because it stops when units start running and the battle begins, but it is limited to the 7 culture max. I haven't used stereo mp3s as background music in game for some time, it became a llittle repititious, plus I'm into battle and ambient sounds (battlemap) and environmental and ambient sounds (for stratmap).

Unfortunately the group march sounds won't allow separating by units in the EDU...even though the sound.txt alludes to the format..

descr_sounds_units.txt:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;; DATABASE DEFINITIONS
    ;; DEF: unit_idle, unit_march, unit_run, unit_charge
    ;; unit_fighting, unit_missiles_firing, unit_ambient
    ;;
    ;; Keywords: unit, terrain
    ;;
    ;; Format:
    ;;
    ;; unit {unit category} {unit class}
    ;; type {type id as in descr_unit.txt}
    ;; terrain {terrain types list}
    ;; Terrain types are optional, if terrain keyword is omitted then all terrain types are applicable
    ;; event ...
    ;; terrain
    ;; event ... etc
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Another way along this line is to create 31 accents (!) and trigger music from the various general commands on the battlemap, it would require massive export_descr_sounds_soldier_voice.txt and export_descr_sounds_unit_voice.txt files, but it's possiblle..theoretically.

I'll post a tech demo of some of the stuff I've worked on in this area (by culture) in this forum soon, it's very basic and unpolished, but has potential ;-)

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp