Thread: [Minecraft AAR] A Diary of the Extraordinary and Exciting Encounters through which I Have Lived

Shadow8's Avatar Ducenarius

Default [Minecraft AAR] A Diary of the Extraordinary and Exciting Encounters through which I Have Lived

I tried posting this on the Minecraft forum but apparently, nobody likes AAR's there... because none exist there either... so i decided to head over to TWC for some feedback on this AAR. some background information: i'm playing on normal with no modifications and am not using anything outside of what the vanilla game permits me. I'll include pics if enough people start reading this. This is supposed to take place sometime during the late 19th century (i tried to include some sort of jumbled and overly verbose sentence structure and vocabulary that is common of any kind of late Victorian writing or literature.) I'll try and do AT LEAST one update per week but i'm in college and finals are coming up in a few weeks so there is a good chance i will falter around late april through may. PLEASE give me feed back i crave it and i mean for all of the passages to be in large clumps without paragraphs it is supposed to reflect the stream of consciousness of the writer. so here is the first entry. i have almost three more ready

Entry 1:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Day 1: I’m writing this with paper and pen I found at some strange house. Thank god I found this house, my ship wrecked last night, I think last night, at sea. I awoke sputtering on a beach late this morning tired, hungry and wearing naught but rags. I could have been at sea for days. Some planks washed up on shore with me but were to ragged to be used for anything. I immediately looked around for food or shelter and had the inclination to advance what I believe was northward. After less than an hour I spotted a clearly man-made structure of wood and stone. The terrain approaching the house was treacherous and it was more than once that I nearly did break my ankles. The door of house was made of sturdy wood and was fixed with a locking mechanism that seems to have been implemented to require the user to possess a basic knowledge of key-structures. With just a few tries I opened the door into a small courtyard surrounded by a cobbled but high wall. The inner-structure was grand-ish, containing a large wooden house with three levels and a back tower structure made of stone and seemingly much more defensible. The house is seemingly abandoned as I write, I have not seen another soul all day but am weary. I did however find a body, or what was left of one down at the foot of the western tower. It appears to me that this tower, on the western face of the cliff that the structure is situated upon was built for purposes of entrance and exit to what, after some exploring, I found to be a man-made mine. What was once clearly a path to the mine made from earth and quite level was in one large section now a crater, it was in this crater that I found some basic, but destroyed tools. A sword, a pick-axe, a shovel, and the remnants of some iron or steel breastplates and thigh-coverings were all found in the crater. These latter items were riddled with dents and small holes made from what I think is shrapnel propelled by whatever explosion created the crater. The armor was gripping a skeleton with several broken bones and seemingly gnawed as well. This last discovery troubled me as I assume that this poor soul was one of the undoubtedly many residents of the structure up above. I explored the mine briefly, finding no one, but again all doors contain this simple locking mechanism that seems to have been assembled by hand. As dusk set in I returned to the structure hoping to get a good night’s sleep but I could soon tell that I would not be so lucky. Soon after night set in I began hearing sounds and luckily i had the sense to close the doors after entering the structure and I thank god for giving me such sound inclinations. This proved useful because it seems whatever god-forsaken place I am stranded upon is home to a myriad of different hellish beings. Things that look as if they are decayed men, automotive skeletons wielding weaponry, and what I seem to be troubled the most by is a silent creeping being that looks as if it is of vegetation and smells as if it is sulfur. I know now why array of defenses and locks were created by the former residents of this place, whom have not as of yet returned but I am awake eagerly hoping that they will arrive, although upon inspecting the pantries and storage places of this structure am not so sure that they ever will. Most of the provisions are rotten, I managed to eat a few loafs of stale bread to satiate my grumbling stomach but on the whole it appears as if I will need to gather new items come day-light.

Entry 2:
    Day 2: I fell sound asleep last-night just after writing the previous passage. It is again night and I am again alone inside of the structure which I am more inclined to call a fortress or castle as it is clear now that it was built with defense in-mind. To-day I spent my time outside the gates, fearful though safe, gathering some basic provisions such as wood for the hearth. I slew a few wild-pigs for food and have also collected some basic wild-growing grains and berries that I believe to be edible. This took me only a few hours as the land surrounding the structure is fertile and populated with a great number of animals and plants. After having gathered what I was sure were enough provisions for the night I returned to the structure and began exploring it for signs as to who it’s builders are and where they could be located presently. There were only a few books, writings and journals in the structure, all hand-written and hand-made from a paper press found on the grounds with a sufficient amount of bark to provide for more than a few volumes of literature to be written. What was written in these small leather-bound and crude tomes was not at all extremely helpful. It seems as if the majority of the few journals that are not empty are filled with nothing but hasty scribbling and notes about various things. Whomever resided here clearly did not take it upon themselves to write anything of literary merit or helpfulness and it is clear that what was written was intended for naught but themselves. What I have been able to decipher from the hectic and difficult handwriting is that no more than two to three people could have lived here. And that this structure was made to its present state over a number of months and years of adding what were apparently necessary additions to a quaint and simple wooden cabin that now makes up the entry-way to the main-structure. I can-not imagine that so few people, as I have only found one form of hand-writing here, to have built such a massive and imposing structure. I have a nagging suspicion that I am still however over-estimating the amount of people that once inhabited this structure, not because of just the writing but moreover the amount of food I have found stored here would not be a very large amount for more than one person and even then would last this one person only a few days to a week at most without continually collecting more. On top of that I have found only one bed in the structure and it is the size that one man and no more could comfortably occupy. The majority of the texts which I have found contain designs, sketches, plans and diagrams on what is presently built, and I assume these were made before the present complexity of the structure was achieved and detailed the planned complexity in the early stages of construction. Some other plans it seems have not yet been built but have only been conceived of by the original builders or builder. A majority of the writings contains lists that are generally the same detailing the schedule of activities for the day. Most contain things such as “eat breakfast, food gather, mine, finish ramparts” or other simple yet effective reminders. It seems that the creatures are in-fact very dangerous and the most dangerous of the lot is the sulfur-smelling one which one of these journals I have found labels “creeper” it appears that they move very swiftly and silently and explode upon coming close enough to something they deem an enemy. A drawing in this particular note-book of the size and general look of the crater it makes has made me realize there are a frightful many of these things surrounding this structure, just looking out the window I count ten craters that match this description. Tomorrow I will look around some more and gather enough food for the week.

Entry 3:
    Day 3: I spent the entire day out hunting pigs with a bow I found, damned good to shoot a bow again it’s been years since college. There exists in one of the higher rooms a chest with some weapons arrayed in it, a Bow, about sixty arrows, and a few swords fashioned from different materials. Some of the more crude ones are made from hardened wood or cut stone but the one I have taken a liking to is a long-blade of Iron. It’s been finely crafted and I put it to good use to-day upon a particularly unfortunate beast that came rushing at me from behind a tree. The bow is useful, and I’ve found more than a few broken arrows littered around the surrounding area suggesting that either the former residents or some of the beasts used to shoot here rather often. I have enough food stuffs for a week or two now, all of the meat is cooked and stored, and I’ve baked some bread in the hearth. I spent this afternoon learning the lay-out of the structure intimately so that I may navigate it with ease in the event of an emergency. Late last night I saw through the window an arachnid-like beast climb one the front walls and poke about for a while. It soon left and I fell back to sleep. While reading through more of the note books I have found this detailed as one of the problems the writer meant to fix. I am now also assured that this structure was built solely by one person. Such a feat amazes me, that someone could survive and flourish so much to build a grand house in an unheard of wilderness. Unlike me this man seems to have had no desire to record or detail his journeys here and was more than content to live his life until its untimely end in a crater just a few short months ago. I realized now that the mine is used for a great many things, as it has coal, iron and other necessities that were used to build this very house. I will have to fix the path from the structure to the mine so that I can access it during the daytime. I can see from some scribblings that it was the builder’s (as I have now begun to call him the builder) intention that the Mine should be able to be accessed day and night with no threat of danger existing. On reading about the construction of this house, the stone parts were made from cobbled stone using ground-stone dust, water and sand as a mortar, it is apparently exceedingly effective and durable. Tonight it is raining for the first time, I shudder to think about what the water-fall near the mine-entrance will look like with rain this heavy.

Entry 4:
    Day 5: Two days since my last entry. I’ve been exhausted and working harder than ever. I’ve gathered some cobbled stone from the store-room and spent the last two days reconstructing the bridge to the mine. The recipe for mortar is surprisingly efficient as it dries extremely quickly and makes nearly an impregnable bond. While I was down by the mine I thought it prudent to recover the body of whom I believe is The Builder. The bones are severely more gnawed giving me the suspicion that he was not dead for a few months as I had previously thought but for perhaps a week or two. Upon inspecting the scene of his death I found not one crater, but a large number, along with shriveled sulfuric smelling plant residue, quite a lot of it. Most of the items that were there are in such a dismal condition that they are no longer useful in any manner. I decided to move his body up onto some drier land and dig a grave for him. One interesting thing I did fine is that tucked away in a pocket behind his breast-plate was a small journal and while the pages are singed to a small degree and penetrated by the same shrapnel that tore so many holes in the breastplate, most are still legible. It seems this journal was his most recent detailing the most recent additions to the structure along with his most recent plans and some of his thoughts. He details in it a way in which an effective row-boat could be built within a few hours, along with something I have not noticed yet, that if one looks out of the westward window at night, one of the visible islands seems to have a light emanating from it. It appears that The Builder was planning a trip to this island, which is why the row-boat has been built. Another interesting thing I found was a piece of what looks like drift-wood fastened to a leather string around the neck of The Builder’s remains. So with the bridge to the mine fixed I began to gather some more cobbled stone as the store-room is nearly out. I also found a good bit of Iron ore and coal in the mine, which is already quite deep. I continued to dig some way down, keeping safety in mind. And at one point I seem to have broken through to a cave with a seemingly infinite shaft. Water runs down the walls a fair way and I can hear the sound of water a fair way down the shaft. Now that I have brought these materials back it appears I will have to smelt the Iron ore into a useable form using a Furnace in the structure. Having a large amount of coal I have decided that this will provide the fuel for the iron smelting process. The Journal, although I am in no way completed with my analysis of it, also details The Builder’s seeming obsession with the distant mountain range to the north. These cliffs penetrate the clouds in their splendor but, like The Builder I feel a sense of extreme foreboding when glancing upon them. On top of these strange new revelations I am filling with mixed emotions. I am worried about the implications of the wreck I was involved in. It could be months before anyone notices that the ship has not arrived in Bangor. It is assured due to the value of the crew and cargo that a search will be formed although for now I must mentally prepare myself to last for the next few months at the least, a year at the most.

Entry 5:
    Day 6: To-day I gathered more food from the surrounding area and felled some more trees for fire wood. While out of the structure, around noon I heard the crunching of stepped grass behind me, and I can safely assert that it is only due to my god-given abilities and sound inclinations that I pulled immediately my sword from its sheath. The smell of sulfur then did hit me as I slashed the most terrifying monstrous beast I have ever come into contact with. The shape of its body was not all too descript and in my haste I took little notice of it, but it’s face was that of pure fear, it is as if the beast has eyes that have only the void behind them. A curved and wicked mouth dominates its orb-like head and a hissing sound began emanating from the damned thing. I slashed at it furiously hacking large amounts of dried crumbling material from its body and finally with a lucky slash I removed the creatures head. The hissing sound ceased and from its hollow body this yellowish sulfuric gas emitted. I believe some organ or bodily construction inside the creature ignites this built up gaseous compound which causes the damned thing to explode. Small cactus like needles sit just beneath its skin oriented outward. I believe this is a physical defense and is likely what causes the small holes that penetrate everything these creatures destroy. The body of the beast smoldered quite quickly and was nothing more than small pieces of what feels like dried leaves and smells like sulfur after only a few minutes. My heart races simply transcribing the even for I believe had another fraction of a second passed I would be as The Builder, decaying in a crater on a strange land far from home. I do wonder where The Builder’s home was, for it could not have been here and I think that the drift-wood fastened around his neck is perhaps the last remnant of what saved his life, as drift-wood saved mine. Bloody hellish thoughts those, trying to discern whom a dead man was on a level excluding superficiality. Damned good thing Oxford has a fencing club as well or I wouldn’t be writing this bit here, and perhaps some other damned fool would be reading these entries thinking the same thoughts. I shan’t sleep tonight I think, much to excited and alive for that.

Default Re: [Minecraft AAR] A Diary of the Extraordinary and Exciting Encounters through which I Have Lived

Anybody interested in this?

Default Re: [Minecraft AAR] A Diary of the Extraordinary and Exciting Encounters through which I Have Lived

Very good work. I shall be following this

Updated with entries 3 4 and 5.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1649
    Why not make a thread in twcs very own miinecrat forums aswell?

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

I applaud you for breaking new ground (so to speak) with your Minecraft AAR!

Are you the only player in your world? Or is there the chance of dialogue?

Anyway, may your protagonist live long and prosper (he might even eventually learn to use paragraphs ).

PS. Some pictures would be very nice.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1649
    Why not make a thread in twcs very own miinecrat forums aswell?
    i... i... i had no idea this place existed ! Perhaps i will venture over there and do that. and to answer Juvenal it is in singleplayer so, for the strictest sense i am the only player that doesn't mean that the character is the only sentient being on the island . I'll try and get some pics up soon, though

THIS IS NOT DEAD!!!!! i'm just very busy with school at the moment. i'll update maybe next weekend.

An update? or is this dead D;