Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What countries have the nicest people?

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Re: What countries have the nicest people?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
    Nah, you're right. The English anyway. It seems that most of them are either patriotic to the point of insulting anyone from any other country, Football Hooligans, or they're Chavs.
    English people, patriotic? Haha, I get abuse just for having a union jack in my bedroom window, we hate our cold miserable overcrowded chavvy crime ridden excuse for a country (unless its a nice day, or unless foreigners start insulting it).
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Comes Domesticorum

Oh cool so you're like every other people out there.

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

The secret identity of the BBC has been revealed, thank you 'Knickers

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Oh cool so you're like every other people out there.
    If you had read my post, rather than seeing a Brit had posted and espousing one of your stock Anglophobic remarks, you might have gleaned that I do not fit the stereotype, so what that was in aid of I have no idea, especially considering that even having not read my post, that is not true. Americans, for example, tend to be extremely patriotic, flag waving in America does not carry the stigma it carries here. Not that that stops them from being friendly people, of course, seeing as the conception of America is unity in diversity: 'e pluribus, unum.'
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    If you had read my post, rather than seeing a Brit had posted and espousing one of your stock Anglophobic remarks, you might have gleaned that I do not fit the stereotype, so what that was in aid of I have no idea, especially considering that even having not read my post, that is not true. Americans, for example, tend to be extremely patriotic, flag waving in America does not carry the stigma it carries here. Not that that stops them from being friendly people, of course, seeing as the conception of America is unity in diversity: 'e pluribus, unum.'
    You do not get riled up when someone insults your country, Britpatriot?

Citizen

You do not get riled up when someone insults your country, Britpatriot?
    If you had never seen any of my posts, my avatar alone would tell you that I do not really take patriotism very seriously. Not liking misinformation is closer to the mark than patriotism, although on balance I'd rather live here than anywhere else I've ever been, for now anyway.

Comes Domesticorum

I would rank you amongst the most nationalist British members of this board, Copper, despite your desire to see Scotland independent.

Citizen

I would rank you amongst the most nationalist British members of this board, Copper, despite your desire to see Scotland independent.
    Unfortunately, the mantle of British nationalism has been taken by neo-Nazis and Fascists. I am hardly patriotic to the U.K. if I want Scotland independent, although that is a hypothetical desire since it doesn't seem very realistic at the moment. And I am certainly not Nationalist, in the sense of believing we should preserve the British race, which wouldn't make much sense seeing as I'm less than half British by ancestory.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; April 18, 2011 at 07:06 PM.

Rebelyell's Avatar Biarchus

English people, patriotic? Haha, I get abuse just for having a union jack in my bedroom window, we hate our cold miserable overcrowded chavvy crime ridden excuse for a country (unless its a nice day, or unless foreigners start insulting it).
    And I'm sure this goes for the majority of Brits, but some of the most extreme "Patriots" I've ever seen have been English (not Scottish, Northern Irish or Welsh, just English) to the point where this people actually seem to wish death on foreigners. Just scroll through any Youtube video having in relation to:
    A. A British Military Defeat
    B. Anything relating to any country that has been in a war with Great Britain at some point
    C. A patriotic video relating to Scotland, Wales, Ireland, The United States, Canada New Zealand.....pretty much any current or former colony.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
    -T.E. Lawrence

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

You are using Youtube to pass judgment on an entire people? Oh dear...
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Yeah, having a sunny day in London can really throw a person off
    [ Under Patronage of Jom ]
    [ "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 ]

Rebelyell's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    You are using Youtube to pass judgment on an entire people? Oh dear...
    Of course not, but when you see a Nationalistic comment, it tends to be from
    A. A Serbian
    B. A Coration
    Or C. An Englishmen.

Now of course I'm not saying that all or even the majority of the English but you see it often enough to leave a bad taste. And I know how it might feel, as an American I'm embarassed as hell that shows like Jersey Shore are shown overseas. The American media and the fat, overly religious, flag wavers (who are a vocal minority) seem to represent the American people and if I were a European that had only been exposed to the United States through the media and stereotypes, I'd probably be saying the same thing about Americans as I am about the English.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
    -T.E. Lawrence

Senator

Unfortunately, the mantle of British nationalism has been taken by neo-Nazis and Fascists. I am hardly patriotic to the U.K. if I want Scotland independent, although that is a hypothetical desire since it doesn't seem very realistic at the moment. And I am certainly not Nationalist, in the sense of believing we should preserve the British race, which wouldn't make much sense seeing as I'm less than half British by ancestory.
    Will you be voting SNP in May mate? Also, you mention a desire for Scottish independence but also in a previous post you mention having a Union Flag in your window, that's seems a little funny to me.

I have to agree with you regarding the English, they to me see incredibly UN-patriotic and seem to be constantly walking around trying to pretend there is no such thing as English and we're-terribly-sorry-for-what-happened-a-few-hundred-years-ago-but-it-wasn't-my-fault-and-we-like-everyone-now. Having said that I did go to Edinburgh University so I don't know if the section of the English populace I have met are actually representative of the whole. Maybe a few days in somewhere like Hull or Oldham might sort me out.
    [M2TW AAR] The Spirit of the Blitz (16 turn long campaign victory with Sicily)
    [RETROFIT AAR] World War 0 (All factions hotseat)

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by In3x View Post
    Will you be voting SNP in May mate? Also, you mention a desire for Scottish independence but also in a previous post you mention having a Union Flag in your window, that's seems a little funny to me.
    I won't be voting at all, since I'm not old enough yet. And actually the union flag is a protest against Sectarianism, since in Glasgow it's seen as a sign of Protestantism rather than a national flag. I am a Celtic supporter, so I'm just showing the neighbourhood that I can be patriotic and Catholic at the same time. I'll take it down after the royal wedding probably and replace it with my Scotland flag.

Senator

I won't be voting at all, since I'm not old enough yet. And actually the union flag is a protest against Sectarianism, since in Glasgow it's seen as a sign of Protestantism rather than a national flag. I am a Celtic supporter, so I'm just showing the neighbourhood that I can be patriotic and Catholic at the same time. I'll take it down after the royal wedding probably and replace it with my Scotland flag.
    Do you have any friends who regard themselves as Irish? I've met a few celtic fans from Glasgow who think this but all the Hibbees I've met consider themselves Scots. I have seen a Orange parade on the Royal Mile that made me and my Irish friends laugh alot, but it seems sectarianism is less pronounced on this side of the country.
    [M2TW AAR] The Spirit of the Blitz (16 turn long campaign victory with Sicily)
    [RETROFIT AAR] World War 0 (All factions hotseat)

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by In3x View Post
    Do you have any friends who regard themselves as Irish? I've met a few celtic fans from Glasgow who think this but all the Hibbees I've met consider themselves Scots. I have seen a Orange parade on the Royal Mile that made me and my Irish friends laugh alot, but it seems sectarianism is less pronounced on this side of the country.
    Yeah, I know a couple of people like that, IRA supporters as well. Being second generation Irish myself, I asked one of the more vocal ones whether he knew the Irish national anthem, which he didn't. Idiots, the lot of them, although tbh in my personal experience Rangers supporters are more aggressive towards Celtic than vice versa, and Rangers generally has more violent hooligans.

Frederich Barbarossa's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Edinburgh, Scotland (From Kendall, Florida and proud!)

I'm a Southerner... All I say is you'll find southern Hospitality depending on the area you go to. All I can say.
    His highness, žežurn I, Keng of Savomyr!

Robertclive's Avatar Primicerius

I thought you lived in Venezuela

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Frederich Barbarossa View Post
    I'm a Southerner... All I say is you'll find southern Hospitality depending on the area you go to. All I can say.
    You're a hoot, that's what you are.
    Miss me yet?

Primicerius

New Yorkers are friendly, the idea that they're not is mostly a myth created by people from inferior cities who believe their backward ways are still worth something.
    The same applies to Parisians, Stockholmians, Helsinkians and every other state with one clearly superior city.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast