Thread: Hmm... the reformation?

Default Hmm... the reformation?

How will the game handle John Wycliffe, Jan Hus, Martin Luther and Jean Calvin? (ok, Calvin is a bit young) Will there be new religions popping up? I realise this would happen towards the very end of the game but still it's a bit too significant to be left out entirely, seing how it affected the events of Europe for many hundreds of years. There were a lot of quasi-religious peasant uprisings within the timeframe of the game..

In short, do you think there will be protestantism in the game?

Maybe this is the subject of the expansion...

Hmm, when I think about it the game's end date corresponds very well with the Reichstag of Augsburg, which formally created and legalised the lutheran church. I smell an expansion pack..

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

I doubt there would be an expansion pack concerned with religion. This is the Total War series - i want to create an empire, not do something related to religion.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Ah but religion and war have always been intricately connected, does "30 years war" say anything to you?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Yes they do, as do the words crusade and jihad, i just think they will do an expansion based on the mogol invasion or to do with south america.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

I don't think they will deal too much with the reformatoin. Luthers thesises are from 1517 I think..so there should not be to much trouble about them till near the end of the game.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by quadrille
    How will the game handle John Wycliffe, Jan Hus, Martin Luther and Jean Calvin? (ok, Calvin is a bit young) Will there be new religions popping up? I realise this would happen towards the very end of the game but still it's a bit too significant to be left out entirely, seing how it affected the events of Europe for many hundreds of years. There were a lot of quasi-religious peasant uprisings within the timeframe of the game..

In short, do you think there will be protestantism in the game?

Maybe this is the subject of the expansion...

Hmm, when I think about it the game's end date corresponds very well with the Reichstag of Augsburg, which formally created and legalised the lutheran church. I smell an expansion pack..

If they are in the game, I'm sure it will just be an event that you read about, and it will improve zeal, or half income, similar to events in MTW 1.
    No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
    George S. Patton

Laetus

I'd like religion added in a lot more depth.

My favorite part of Medieval: Total War was the Crusades and wars against Muslims. Or wars against Christians. Depending on who I was.
    Dead, all dead but me, and I'm dead to the world.

You could always sneak Neo-montanism or another large heretical movement in. The reason I think that something like this is a good idea is because religion basically divides the total war world into sections by local, if you put something in western Europe you could break up countries there a little.

Aslo Jan Hus, a Bohemian (I'm very sorry, I can't remember if Bohemia was a faction, or if people wanted modded in). He was a Proto-Protestant, starting the Hussite movement. He was executed for his Heresy sometime later, but not before becoming sucessfully in both Bohemia and Moravia.
    Member of S.I.N."Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson
    Agnosticism, a personal relationship with common sense.
    “We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes” Gene Roddenberry quote
    Under the Patronage of Squeakus Maximus.

Exactly, Hus started off a reformative religious/czech-nationalistic movement. His execution resulted in violent rebellions, and the hussites actually managed to take control over most of Bohemia. This was all in the first half of the 15th century.

I would love to see an expansion focused on the time of the reformation.

Starts in 1485 with the battle of Bosworth and Henry VII rise to the English throne. Ends with the battle of Lepanto.

Charles V has to deal with the church and his country being split in two by Lutheranism while the Ottomans march through the Balkans towards Austria...off in Spain Barbarossa is raiding spanish coastlines...

French Wars of Religion.

etc

If you must know i am planning on making a reformation based modification for Medieval 2 total war if your interested. i thought starting in 1531 would be better as that was the year the schmalkaldic league was formed (a union of lutherans in the HRE ) and the year the Anglican church was founded.

Reformation is pretty important incident. So is the Black Death but I don't recall seeing it in MTW. I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing reformation in M2TW.
    Last edited by iKossu; March 02, 2006 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca
    I don't think they will deal too much with the reformatoin. Luthers thesises are from 1517 I think..so there should not be to much trouble about them till near the end of the game.
    yes, I think that right, but it would be much more interresting to be able to change your religion, pagan>christian and back again... well... do some Makiavelli stuff