Thread: Somebody MOD unit for me plese

Default Somebody MOD unit for me plese

I want to make all Matchlock unit's(Matchlock Ashigaru, Matchlock Monk warriors,Matchlock Samurai i.e) fire range longer from 100 to 180 but i don't know how. Is there any kind person to teach me how or MOD it for me ?.
    Last edited by BloodyMary66; April 05, 2011 at 02:48 AM.

CoconutFred's Avatar Senator
    Your local ShopRite, at 5% off on Fridays.

Default Re: Somebody MOD unit for me plese

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyMary66 View Post
    I want to make all Matchlock unit's(Matchlock Ashigaru, Matchlock Monk warriors,Matchlock Samurai i.e) fire range longer from 100 to 180 but i don't know how. Is there any kind person to teach me how or MOD it for me ?.
    I think you have to hex edit. Look in the mod workshop for further details on this.

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutFred View Post
    I think you have to hex edit. Look in the mod workshop for further details on this.
    i got hex edit and tried to do it on my self already but i still don't know how to make it to .pack file

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyMary66 View Post
    i got hex edit and tried to do it on my self already but i still don't know how to make it to .pack file
    To make a .pack file, first make sure that your modified file is in the correct folder. It should be in a /db/projectiles_tables folder somewhere. Open the pack file manager, go to file->new and select the folder than your db folder is in. Once that's done, right click on the untitled.pack and go to change pack type, and change it to movie. Then right click again, choose add file, and find your modified file to add. Then just save it and move the pack into your data folder.

If you don't want to bother with that or still can't figure it out, I've attached a file that should change the matchlock range to 180. I just tested it really briefly, but it seems to work fine. Just unzip the pack into your data folder.

Ohhhh thank you i'm very appreciate that you made it for me

Nice. I was looking for someone to edit this specifically for a quick fix, since the current balance between archers/matchlockmen is almost insufferable.

If anyone want to continue to rectify this, here are some suggestions/pointers as how to make ranged units more historical:

Range of bows: <-30m optimum range, <-80m effective killing range, 380m maximum range.
    Penetration of bows: Poor armor penetration at point-blank range, virtually none at greater ranges.

So, if poorly armored means 0-5 armor, and decent to good armor is anything above, the power of bows should be about 6 with no armor penetration. They could penetrate some armor, but the chances were very slim, especially at range.

General effecacy of bows: It was recommended not firing bows at a target further away than 35m, it would basically be wasting arrows. An archer hoping to kill an enemy had to be confident he could hit places not covered by armor. Volleys still could disrupt enemies at greater distances, but the chance of killing enemies was at a bare minimum. This follows the fact that virtually all combatants were sufficiently armored, exposing only small areas for arrow penetration, few of which were directly lethal. Note especially the design of japanese helmets, where the wearer needed only to tilt his head downward to protect his entire face/throat from arrows launched from a distance. Obviously this design was deliberate and used to effect.

Range of matchlocks: <-50m optimum range, <-100m effective killing range, 500m maximum range.
    Penetration of matchlocks: The matchlock would penetrate any contemporary armor within a 50m distance, and could achieve penetration at ranges up to 100m against all but the thickest varieties. Ofcourse penetration was never a guarantee given the complex physics involved, but a volley from teppô was sure to mow down ranks of enemies, regardless of accuracy issues, while a volley from yumi would mostly just be annoyance, even while fired with great skill.

Applying changes along these lines would truly emphasise the overhauling effect the matchlock had on japanese warfare. Every daimyo worth his name scurried to aquire as many as he could, and towards the later decades, all weapons aside teppô had only auxilliary roles.