Thread: GIMP Basics & Introduction - for beginners and newcomers

Domesticus
    Artifex

Icon2 GIMP Basics & Introduction - for beginners and newcomers

This is a very image heavy tutorial, so it's recommended to let the images load before you start viewing. Thank you!

Why to choose GIMP instead of PhotoShop?
    Well, GIMP is a totally free program, but that’s not it all – I think GIMP is easier and quicker to use. So, PhotoShop isn’t always the “right” choice.

Installing GIMP
    You can search for the latest version of GIMP here: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    Then just download the installer and run it. The installer asks your language, and it automatically turns on that language when you start GIMP. There is a way to change language in GIMP without removing the whole program but I don’t specify it here.
    I suggest using advanced options while installing, instead of those automatic settings that the installer offers you.
    If you’re using GIMP for modding, I suggest getting the DDS plug-in. Just type that (“GIMP dds plugin”) in Google.

Setting off your GIMP
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now let’s get started. We’ll start with some option defining.
    This is somehow what you should see when you open GIMP (I have custom settings so what you’ll see is a bit different):

Now you can (and actually you should to make things easier) adjust your own settings. The basic settings are found here (click Edit > Preferences):

I suggest that you check at least the following settings there: Environment, Toolbox, then maybe Default Image tabs. You can later return here to do any changes you want (there may be many useful changes to be made, it depends on you) – I just show the basic things you should definitely learn or know.

Now you can adjust your own Toolbox. Toolbox is the heart of GIMP: when you close it, GIMP will close as well. This is the Toolbox:

By clicking the button in the red circle you can add more tabs to the lower part of the Toolbox (of course you can also remove the tabs you want):

For example, I have just the Tool Options and Brushes dialogs shown.

One you have adjusted your Toolbox in the way you want, you may also want to adjust your Layers dialog. If it’s not shown already, press Ctrl + L and it will appear.
    You can adjust the Layer tab in the exactly same way. You can also edit the preview size of layers. Again, for example I have Layers, Tools and Navigation tabs shown in the Layers dialog.

Once you’ve changed anything you want, save your settings by clicking this icon shown at the bottom of the Toolbox:

Now you’re ready to start.

Making selections
    This thingy here deserves a whole chapter.

First I could show you the basic selection tools; there are six of them. They are shown here:

The first one is quite simple. It’s called “Rectangle Select Tool” and, as the name says, you can make a rectangle-shaped selection by using this basic tool. I’ve needed it practically never.

The second one in order is "Ellipse Select Tool", and you can probably imagine that it’s used for making ellipse-shaped selections. This tool may turn out being pretty useful at some cases.

The third selection tool is "Free Select Tool". You may at first have some hard time learning using it but it’s extremely useful for example at making renders (which means cutting objects, for example a human, from their original backgrounds). The meaning of this tool is that you can freely select the borders of the selection.

The fourth tool is "Fuzzy Select Tool". This is also an excellent tool to save artists’ worthy time. The Fuzzy Select Tool makes selections based on colour “regions”. By adjusting the threshold of this tool in the Tool Options dialog you can advice it to include further colours into the selection, thus growing the selected area.

The fifth tool is "Select by Color Tool". This tool works practically in the same way as the tool above, but I for some reason prefer the Fuzzy Select Tool to it.

The sixth and last tool is "Scissors Select Tool". This tool should (and I mean should) select objects by using “intelligent edge-fitting” but this tool is basically very poor, resulting to the fact that I never use it. I don’t know is it possible to successfully use this tool but at least I haven’t experienced it.

Note this row of icons in the Options Dialog when using the selection tools:

These modes are called (from left to right) “Replace the current selection”, “Add to the current selection”, “Subtract from the current selection” and “Intersect the current selection” and therefore you can probably recognize what each of them does – but it’s very important to realize the existence of these four selection modes.

There is still one way to select areas. This way of selecting selects everything but transparent areas and is called “Alpha to Selection”.
    This is how to select it (notice the great piece of art shown in the background):

This makes it simple (or to be accurate it makes it possible at all) to create for example a 3D text with shadow: when you select Alpha and then run the Drop Shadow filter, the shadow will be made just for the selected part of your image.

Notice that you can adjust your selection also with the features found under the “Select” tab in the left top corner of the screen.

Filters

What are filters?

Well, filters are automatic operations the program makes with the image, but you can adjust the features of the filter by adjusting the values shown in the filter “boxes”. So you can always advice the program to do this or that, in this or that way.

The next question is that how can I use filters? Well, the answer is also simple. You just must click the “Filters” tab at the top of the screen and then select the one you like. There are many, many filters so it’s recommended to test each of them and thus learn what they do. The Filters tab includes a lot of different filters including for example blur, enhance, artistic and light & shadow filters.

I can run a filter to show an example:

I selected Artistic > Oilify filter which makes the image look like a painting. Now here’s the result:

So, that pretty much explains how filters work.

There are also several colouring operations that could be considered as filters. They can be found by clicking the “Colors” tab at the top of the screen. They work in the pretty same way, and it’s also useful to check what each of them does.

Useful tips & timesavers
    · Use .xcf (GIMP image) or .psd (Adobe PhotoShop image) file formats to maintain the layers to the next time you open the file; if you use .jpg, .png or .gif formats the layers will be merged into one layer that covers all the stuff you had on different layers.
    · You can save your images quicker by typing “123.png” in the file name box instead of just writing “123” and then selecting the PNG file format from the scroll below.
    · When you paste a layer into your current image, you must either anchor (right-click the layer and then click “Anchor Layer”) the new, floating layer or creating a new layer by pressing Ctrl + Shift + N – you can’t edit other layers before you anchor the floating one.
    · You can zoom by holding down Ctrl key and rolling with mouse.
    · You can move layers by just holding down the Shift key and then grabbing the layer and moving the layer around; the Move Tool isn’t necessarily needed.
    · You can backup a layer by right-clicking the layer and selecting “Duplicate Layer”, then turning off the eye icon on the left of the layer in the Layers dialog and thus making the backup layer invisible.
    · You can temporarily recolour the interface surrounding the image by clicking “View > Padding Colour”.

Tutorials for beginners

Basic image editing/improving/manipulating
    There are lots of ways to improve an image or photo but I can show you some basic techniques. Most likely the ways to improve a photo are combos of several different filters.

I chose this kind of example image; you can use the same picture to test what you can do or how to do what I’m going to do.
    This is a great image to edit, because the composition is pretty good but otherwise this picture is just average in artistic quality and colour.

Example A – creating an illusion of a foggy forest

Step 1
    Create five new layers (by pressing Ctrl + Shift + N) – now you have six layers in total.
    Then select one of the new layers and click “Filters > Render > Clouds > Solid Noise”.
    Adjust the X and Y accuracy like you want (I use 4.6 here) as well as the level of detail (6), and tick the “Randomize” box.

Step 2
    Now repeat Step 1 on all layers until all of the new layers are filled with clouds.

Step 3
    Now set the opacity of all the five cloud layers to 20 %.

Step 4
    Now the image looks rather OK, but maybe we still want to smooth the fog a bit. Select a cloud layer and click “Colors > Brightness-Contrast”, set the contrast value to -10 and repeat on all layers.

Step 5
    Now we can adjust the contrast of the forest photo layer. By decreasing the contrast we can make the background look greyer and thus improve the effect of the fog. Increasing contrast would also look good artistically but it won’t look as authentic.

Set the background’s contrast to -15 or something like that and see the result:

Step 6
    Now I want to adjust the colour world of the bottom layer with the forest image. First I click “Colors > Curves” and adjust the curve in this way:

Step 7
    Now create a new layer, select the Blend Tool (make sure you have yellow selected as the background colour and that you have selected a correct gradient) and fill the layer in this way:

Then make sure you change the layer mode to overlay (you could also adjust the layer opacity if you want).

Step 8
    Now we can still create one nice effect – light rays falling between the trees.

Create a new layer, select the Blend Tool and Neon Yellow gradient and use the blend tool in this way:

Then try to create more yellow neon rays. When you do wrong and make a mistake, just press Ctrl + Z (undo). After some trying you should end up having something like this:

Now select the neon layer and set the opacity to about 10 %. Then run a filter that is very important at image manipulation and editing – Gaussian Blur. You can select it by clicking “Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur” and set the Blur Radius (I used 30-30 as you can see) to about 30 or anything you want:

Now we can still make the light rays look more realistic. Run the Softglow filter (“Filters > Artistic > Softglow”) and adjust the values like you want:

Step 9
    We could eventually finish the image by removing the border of the image via a filter. Select “Filters > Decor > Fuzzy Border” and adjust the values one more time. The program should automatically create a new layer but I created a new layer anyways, just to make sure the program doesn’t mess up my process.

Once this is done, just set the layer’s opacity to 50 % and you’re done.

Here’s a before – after comparison:

And here’s another result that I got when I still adjusted the opacity of the fog layers a bit (16,5 %):

I showed you a handful of tricks you can combine in the future – remember these tricks and use them in as many situations as possible.
    (Wait for my advanced tutorials to learn more.)

Example B – just improving the original image (not adding fog or any such things)

Step 1
    Run “Colors > Auto > Color Enhance” (you may not see the change but there is one, and usually the change is very big. This image seems to have quite high saturation so that’s why the change isn’t that big):

Step 2
    Let’s imagine that the big branch on the ground in the bottom left corner annoys us (in photos there are very often objects like this that you want to remove).

Now, make a selection like this:

Copy the selection and paste it to a new layer over the branch:

Step 3
    There is now an ugly border visible, so I blur the edge of the new leaves layer. You can do it by making a selection like this, inverting the selection and running “Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur” (adjust the blur radius to about 2-4, whatever you like).

Now you can merge the layers:

Step 4
    Now let’s sharpen the image a bit; click ”Filters > Enhance > Unsharp Mask” and adjust the amount and radius values.

Step 5
    Adjust the brightness and contrast in this way:

Now we’re ready and the image is better than before. Here’s a before-after comparison:

Example C – making a simple wallpaper based upon the original image

Step 1
    First duplicate the forest photo layer:

Then select the upper layer and click “Colors > Threshold” and adjust the values in this way:

Once this is done, set the black-white layer’s opacity to about 20 %.

Step 2
    Select the lower layer and run the Cartoon filter (“Filters > Artistic > Cartoon”).
    Set quite low values there:

Step 3
    Continue your progress on the lower layer. Lower the saturation of the picture by clicking “Colors > Hue-Saturation” and adjust the ideal values; I used -35 saturation value here:

Step 4
    Still keep the lower layer selected and click “Colors > Curves” to make the image darker:

Step 5
    Now the background is ready. Now we’ll add some text there. Select a font (I used Times New Roman Bold because that font is found on every single PC and you don’t have to download it to follow my tutorial), select the area for the text to appear in and write “Forest…”.

Step 6
    Now we’ll start decorating the text in a simple way. Right-click the text layer and select “Alpha to Selection” – then select the Bucket Fill Tool and Maple Leaves pattern and fill the selection with the maple leaves pattern:

Then keep the Alpha still selected, create a new layer and click “Edit > Stroke Selection” – this draws the outlines of the selection with the colour we want.

After this is done, use the Gaussian Blur (“Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur”) to make the line around the text look smoother.

Step 7
    Now we’ll add a simple shadow under the text. Click Alpha to Selection again (if Alpha isn’t selected anymore) and click “Filters > Light and Shadow > Drop Shadow” and adjust the values as usual (make sure to untick the “Allow resizing” box):

Step 8
    Now we’ll finish the wallpaper with a few artistic thingies. Select the Ellipse Select Tool and make a few selections like this:

Now use again the Drop Shadow filter, but make sure to increase both the Blur Radius and Opacity to 100.

Then make several other such selections and add the shadows. Finally you should end up having stuff something like this:

Step 9
    However, I didn’t eventually like the text we had there, so I selected the text layer and recoloured the text so that it becomes pure green. Select “Colors > Colorize” and adjust the values as always.

Now the “wallpaper” is basically ready (we still could have enhanced it a bit) and you have read the whole GIMP basics tutorial. I hope you learned a lot and enjoyed what you learned and read.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Also, don't forget to check my GIMP intermediate/advanced tutorials once they're ready!

Thank you.
    ~Goofy
    Last edited by Goofy; January 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Radiso-FIN's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: GIMP Basics & Introduction

Great work, looks like very extensive tutorial, I must install GIMP and start editing pictures when I have enough time.
    +rep as promised

Kameraden's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: GIMP Basics & Introduction - for beginners and newcomers

Nice, ready at last . +rep to you.

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Radiso-FIN
    Great work, looks like very extensive tutorial, I must install GIMP and start editing pictures when I have enough time.
    +rep as promised
    Quote Originally Posted by Kameraden
    Nice, ready at last . +rep to you.
    Thank you.

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

nice! ive been using gimp for a while but mostly for simple things so im a pretty big noob at most things graphic editing but this should help. thanks

Von koh's Avatar Decanus

Great Goofy. +rep

My gallery Rep if you like.
    6 UESW victory.

Domesticus
    Artifex

nice! ive been using gimp for a while but mostly for simple things so im a pretty big noob at most things graphic editing but this should help. thanks
    People like you are exactly the people whom this tutorial is made for.
    Great Goofy. +rep
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Goofy; January 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

Excellent work goofy, i'm currently using 2.6 which is a nice improvement over my older version .. except for one thing .. one thing that annoys the hell out of me. When i start Gimp 2.6, the Image manipulation Program window for opening files etc ie File - Edit - Select - View - etc etc is a seperate window, whereas in the previous version it was 'docked' into the Toolbox window .. and I cannot get it to DOCK back in! How do I dock the File window into the Toolbox window ???

Thanks

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Domesticus
    Artifex

Excellent work goofy, i'm currently using 2.6 which is a nice improvement over my older version .. except for one thing .. one thing that annoys the hell out of me. When i start Gimp 2.6, the Image manipulation Program window for opening files etc ie File - Edit - Select - View - etc etc is a seperate window, whereas in the previous version it was 'docked' into the Toolbox window .. and I cannot get it to DOCK back in! How do I dock the File window into the Toolbox window ???

Thanks

R
    Thank you.

Could you send a screenshot? I couldn't realize the problem properly.

Try to check your settings by clicking "Edit > Preferences".
    Last edited by Goofy; April 10, 2011 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Thank you.

Could you send a screenshot? I couldn't realize the problem properly.

Try to check your settings by clicking "Edit > Preferences".
    I've checked under preferences, nothing about Docking. Although under the "Windows" menu option there is docking but i cannot dock the Toolbox window with the default picture window, which I had before. before i had the File - Edit - view etc options in the Toolbox window, it was small and sweet.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Domesticus
    Artifex

I've checked under preferences, nothing about Docking. Although under the "Windows" menu option there is docking but i cannot dock the Toolbox window with the default picture window, which I had before. before i had the File - Edit - view etc options in the Toolbox window, it was small and sweet.
    It just has to be a feature of 2.6 version. As far as I know, there's no way of getting those buttons in the toolbox - sorry.
    However it's easy to use them in this way once you get used to it.

~Goofy

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

For those of you interested in more Gimp stuff check here LINK & LINK 2

Domesticus
    Artifex

[Sorry for the late response]
    For those of you interested in more Gimp stuff check here LINK & LINK 2
    Yup, those are very useful links and you can learn many things there. I'll add there a "Useful links" section including those two. It may be done next week though, my own computer is out of order at the moment.

And thanks for the cookie.

~Goofy

Thanks for the tutorial.
    It's really usefull for beginners like me

Brilliant. +Rep

"They are there; so I must kill them" - Lord Berwick
    Non sibi sed patriae

Domesticus
    Artifex

Thank you!

I'm currently teaching a GIMP basics course in the TWC University - check it out if you're interested. The course consists of six very useful lessons so there's a lot a GIMP beginner could learn there! The lesson quality is also a lot better than in this tutorial, partly due to the fact that I, too, have improved very much during the last year.

Again, thanks for commenting.
    ~Goofy
    Last edited by Goofy; May 27, 2012 at 06:23 AM.

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

Can you add a guide for how to implement the layer effects filter which has the preview window? I've talked to Gimp users in the past that they couldn't get it to work (I don't know if anyone else has made a guide for it).

Domesticus
    Artifex

Actually all I needed for that was the latest version of Python and GIMP 2.8 - I suppose that earlier versions of GIMP don't support the Python version for some reason (although they should at least to some extent).
    Quote Originally Posted by Radboud
    I've talked to Gimp users in the past that they couldn't get it to work (I don't know if anyone else has made a guide for it).
    Really? Were they using GIMP 2.8?

Well, maybe that could make a decent tutorial, although I have rather been considering a tutorial on installing fonts and brushes.

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

It would be greatly appreciated, but don't let my request stand in the way of your plans . This giude is very helpful for newcomers.
    Last edited by Radboud; May 28, 2012 at 06:18 PM.