Thread: By the Gods...

Default By the Gods...

Just a quick thank you to the modders who created RSII. I finally found the time to download and play your mod and quite frankly... I'm astounded. The level of detail, not only in your models, but in the unit descriptions(), the intros, the game world... it is absolutely godlike to play. Your devotion and hard work is evident in everything I see.

Everything I've experienced so far with your mod has been a longtime R:TW fan's dream come true. I literally had to drag myself away from the campaign to write this. You truly have set the standard for mods, and my expectations for R2:TW.

Default Re: By the Gods...

I'm afraid there is no escape now, the addiction just gets stronger from here on in. I've been playing Shogun2 for the past few weeks and even that couldn't keep me away from this work of art for too long.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Helikaon View Post

You truly have set the standard for mods, and my expectations for R2:TW.
    You do know that the golden era ended with M2TW right?Modding is way harder in the newer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    You do know that the golden era ended with M2TW right?Modding is way harder in the newer games.
    A man can dream

A man can dream
    Im sorry to say that dreaming has been outlawed in the ToS, you will now have to pay a fine.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Modding is way harder in the newer games.
    well...in reality its not if you know what you do...but apparently the smartness and the skill level of modders has not evolved in the same way as software,databases and programming techniques.

It amazes me when people blame CA for S2TW not being mod friendly when its the same poeple who remained in stoneage with their modding skills while the developers moved on to new/faster/better database packing/files...so instead of ranting everybody could just start learning about hexadecimal code and how using a hexeditor or to learn unpacking S2TW files to have a look on how to edit them...

I had a long thought about this and Me thinks CA has done what needed...modders have to keep up with new technology or die tryin...
    and CA has no obligation to deliver any sort of tool...they may even harm themselfs as they would give the competence to much insight of how they use tech and code so I can understand that they are scared to give away their own tools ...
    Last edited by chris10; April 01, 2011 at 08:25 PM.

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

Anyways, off of the modding discussion, yes this addiction will never let go. I download about a week and a half ago, and haven't played any other game since. When I've had the time to play games anyways....
    Currently teaching the Arverni and Boii the meaning of the phrase "Wartime Economy" and churning out my first few numbered legions (took me until turn 300+....is that normal to take that long until the Marian Reforms) while taking their cities at will...
    And I will eventually have to deal with those cursed Gallaeci (spelling?) as they constantly launch assaults at Carthago and the city directly south of there (Hadrumetem or something?)...
    Yes, I conquer slowly, slowly but awesomely.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    I'm afraid there is no escape now, the addiction just gets stronger from here on in. I've been playing Shogun2 for the past few weeks and even that couldn't keep me away from this work of art for too long.
    I concur with this;RS II Victor!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    well...in reality its not if you know what you do...but apparently the smartness and the skill level of modders has not evolved in the same way as software,databases and programming techniques.

It amazes me when people blame CA for S2TW not being mod friendly when its the same poeple who remained in stoneage with their modding skills while the developers moved on to new/faster/better database packing/files...so instead of ranting everybody could just start learning about hexadecimal code and how using a hexeditor or to learn unpacking S2TW files to have a look on how to edit them...

I had a long thought about this and Me thinks CA has done what needed...modders have to keep up with new technology or die tryin...
    and CA has no obligation to deliver any sort of tool...they may even harm themselfs as they would give the competence to much insight of how they use tech and code so I can understand that they are scared to give away their own tools ...
    It actually now takes a professional programmer like taw to crack the files unlike in this engine which is just mainly txt editing.Sure you can hex edit but that takes forever.And it is harder to mod, I havn't seen any map mods lately(besides the Visual one) or total conversions.

It actually now takes a professional programmer like taw to crack the files unlike in this engine which is just mainly txt editing.Sure you can hex edit but that takes forever.And it is harder to mod, I havn't seen any map mods lately(besides the Visual one) or total conversions.
    well...as I said...if somebody knows what he is doin is no prob at all ..from the point of view of the usual modder...yes its a lot harder but the text editing times are over...we can not expect all new fancy graphics and massive games (20 GB) and still have textfile based engines which would take forever processing the data cause all those textfiles have to be internally recoded into hex or binary or dual before the engine can deal with them...

However...I wish CA would not have locked out the dev console and would deliver at least a basic set of tools like a Map-Editor and a Unit-Editor...but again..we pay for a game and not for the tools...I dont know why people think that CA ows them this stuff

but hey..its early on...people can not expect CA giving them all docus and all kind of tools just days after release...thats hilarious and ridicolous ...maybe in a year time with some luck

well...as I said...if somebody knows what he is doin is no prob at all ..from the point of view of the usual modder...yes its a lot harder but the text editing times are over...we can not expect all new fancy graphics and massive games (20 GB) and still have textfile based engines which would take forever processing the data cause all those textfiles have to be internally recoded into hex or binary or dual before the engine can deal with them...

However...I wish CA would not have locked out the dev console and would deliver at least a basic set of tools like a Map-Editor and a Unit-Editor...but again..we pay for a game and not for the tools...I dont know why people think that CA ows them this stuff

but hey..its early on...people can not expect CA giving them all docus and all kind of tools just days after release...thats hilarious and ridicolous ...maybe in a year time with some luck
    They said they would release modding tools for Nappy after S2.Where are they now... Also they don't have a console cos they despise cheaters

1. They said they would release modding tools for Nappy after S2.Where are they now...
    2.Also they don't have a console cos they despise cheaters
    1. Think as if you would be the Dveloper...would you just give away all your knowledge...tha base of your work ? After S2 is a relative term...it could be now or in a year ...anyway I think I can understand CAs hesitation...I guess the tools ofr ETW/NTW will be released someday,just not right now...
    Its quite possible that the tools would give to much insight view and they try to reduce/restrict them somehow which may be difficult or they dont work as intended anymore...thousands of reasons are possible and CA as a company really does not have to discuss all this reasons with nobody.
    I mean if you buy a car I doubt they will give you the engeneering/developement plan for the car and all its featured technology just cause you wanna do some tuning later on...they will expect reverse engeneering and tech robbery...same applys to games..especially to successful titles
    Why are people so ignorant when it comes to games ?...

2. crap STEAM..its cause of the achievements system why they locked out the dev console.
    Anyway it would have cost literally 5 minutes to implement a monitor in the source code to protocol the event if the console has been brought up during a game session and this could be shown in the stats/achivements and saved in savegames...so..no excuse on this one

1. Think as if you would be the Dveloper...would you just give away all your knowledge...tha base of your work ? After S2 is a relative term...it could be now or in a year ...anyway I think I can understand CAs hesitation...I guess the tools ofr ETW/NTW will be released someday,just not right now...
    Its quite possible that the tools would give to much insight view and they try to reduce/restrict them somehow which may be difficult or they dont work as intended anymore...thousands of reasons are possible and CA as a company really does not have to discuss all this reasons with nobody.
    I mean if you buy a car I doubt they will give you the engeneering/developement plan for the car and all its featured technology just cause you wanna do some tuning later on...they will expect reverse engeneering and tech robbery...same applys to games..especially to successful titles
    Why are people so ignorant when it comes to games ?...

2. crap STEAM..its cause of the achievements system why they locked out the dev console.
    Anyway it would have cost literally 5 minutes to implement a monitor in the source code to protocol the event if the console has been brought up during a game session and this could be shown in the stats/achivements and saved in savegames...so..no excuse on this one
    1.I don't really blame CA, I assume SEGA is the one responsible for the new policy.At least S2 dosm't need to be drastically overhauled so modding isn't crucial.
    2.CA are probaly lazy

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Just a quick thank you to the modders who created RSII. I finally found the time to download and play your mod and quite frankly... I'm astounded. The level of detail, not only in your models, but in the unit descriptions(), the intros, the game world... it is absolutely godlike to play. Your devotion and hard work is evident in everything I see.

Everything I've experienced so far with your mod has been a longtime R:TW fan's dream come true. I literally had to drag myself away from the campaign to write this. You truly have set the standard for mods, and my expectations for R2:TW.
    On behalf of the team and for myself, thank you for you kind comments.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I have recently come back to RSII from a break from any total war games (my pc is too pathetic to play Napoleon and Empire ) -they crash and lag - so I have started up a campaign as Rome on 0-turn, which I was afraid would be full of spamming but which with the recent patches is just about right! It is a great mod, and I remembered why I had looked forward to it so much!
    Originally Posted by Tyer032392:
    "The problem about having troops killing soldiers is that if CA implemented that, than they will earn the ire of Jack Thompson, and that is something CA doesn't need. If anyone doesn't know who he is, google "Jack Thompson"."

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricus View Post
    I have recently come back to RSII from a break from any total war games (my pc is too pathetic to play Napoleon and Empire ) -they crash and lag - so I have started up a campaign as Rome on 0-turn, which I was afraid would be full of spamming but which with the recent patches is just about right! It is a great mod, and I remembered why I had looked forward to it so much!
    Play longer and you'll find the spamming.

Kozmonavt's Avatar Civis

..I dont know why people think that CA ows them this stuff
    They owe it to themselves. People are obviously willing to put a lot of effort into modding and there are clear benefits to all of this. Moddable games persist, unmoddable ones happen and then they are gone. And if people are willing to do all of this for free, development tools are really a very inexpensive investment and more than pay for themselves. If they want to make money with payable content, that's fine, but the results are pretty much limited to what will sell. That's what I think, anyway.

Charrua's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Kozmonavt View Post
    They owe it to themselves. People are obviously willing to put a lot of effort into modding and there are clear benefits to all of this. Moddable games persist, unmoddable ones happen and then they are gone. And if people are willing to do all of this for free, development tools are really a very inexpensive investment and more than pay for themselves. If they want to make money with payable content, that's fine, but the results are pretty much limited to what will sell. That's what I think, anyway.
    Totally agree. Let's pick games that were released at the same time RTW was released : HOW MANY OF THEM ARE STILL BEING PLAYED, THROUGH MODS OR VANILLA, LIKE RTW ???

So, as I am in pre-stoneage (I can edit a text, but I don't have sixteen fingers to know how to count in hex) of programming, reading all those complaints on the increased restrain of data for modding, makes me sad.

I won't buy S2 or ETW/NTW until I see some nice mods coming out... my personal opinion, I played ETW demo and looked like plain Cossacks + Age of Sail + Turbographics.
    I do not believe in a God with no sense of humour!

Find the cost of Freedom
    Buried in the ground
    Mother Earth will swallow you
    Lay your body down...

Quote Originally Posted by Charrua View Post
    Totally agree. Let's pick games that were released at the same time RTW was released : HOW MANY OF THEM ARE STILL BEING PLAYED, THROUGH MODS OR VANILLA, LIKE RTW ???

So, as I am in pre-stoneage (I can edit a text, but I don't have sixteen fingers to know how to count in hex) of programming, reading all those complaints on the increased restrain of data for modding, makes me sad.

I won't buy S2 or ETW/NTW until I see some nice mods coming out... my personal opinion, I played ETW demo and looked like plain Cossacks + Age of Sail + Turbographics.
    Hex editing isn't that bad lol

Hex editing isn't that bad lol
    True...