Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] The Roman Empire-Part I-Thematic Armies.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: [Preview] The Roman Empire-Part I-Thematic Armies.

Jentlemen stop this kind of messages.
    Do not ruin the good atmosphear this forum (TGC) has .
    Please do not force us to act like moderators because we have more important -for the mod- to do.
    Keep your personal opinions about others only for you and ONLY for you.
    LAST WARNING
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

never mind that, i deleted the of topic posts.
    if any more cow dung is spread here the whole thread will be closed, the same goes for any thread within our forum!
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

I have seen pics of Scoutatoi units, they will have spears as first weapon and sword as second?

no, their swords are only for decoration.
    multiple mele weapons does not seem to handle very well in M2TW, so most unit has a decorative secondary weapon.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    no, their swords are only for decoration.
    multiple mele weapons does not seem to handle very well in M2TW, so most unit has a decorative secondary weapon.
    As Absinthia said.
    We had a large variety of units with both swords and spears.
    But no matter what we tried those "spearmen" could not hundle cavalry attacks and destroyed easily by it.
    The visual result was awensome but it did not work for the proper gameplay.
    Never the less there will be a number of dual weaponed infantry units to present certain features.
    For all these units there will be a detailed guide how to use them in battle.
    We only wish if someone could point us a certain way that dual weaponed spearmen could use the proper weapon always!
    We would gludly reworked all of our units!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

o dear god Trogir in Bosnia

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Yes, it is a bit outdated though.

The advances in depictions of the medieval Roman army make it so.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Hmm, matmohair1, do you happen to have a link to the whole book? Outdated or not, it seems pretty interesting.

matmohair1's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    Hmm, matmohair1, do you happen to have a link to the whole book? Outdated or not, it seems pretty interesting.
    certainly - http://www.scribd.com/doc/64353997/W...-BC-to-1700-AD

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Wow great collection of books +rep

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    As Absinthia said.
    We had a large variety of units with both swords and spears.
    But no matter what we tried those "spearmen" could not hundle cavalry attacks and destroyed easily by it.
    The visual result was awensome but it did not work for the proper gameplay.
    Never the less there will be a number of dual weaponed infantry units to present certain features.
    For all these units there will be a detailed guide how to use them in battle.
    We only wish if someone could point us a certain way that dual weaponed spearmen could use the proper weapon always!
    We would gludly reworked all of our units!
    I just want to confirm that you're actually talking about the way the AI uses a secondary weapon right? As it is quite possible for the player to control whether to use primary or secondary weapon.

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhednin View Post
    I just want to confirm that you're actually talking about the way the AI uses a secondary weapon right? As it is quite possible for the player to control whether to use primary or secondary weapon.
    Basicaly yes. But a human player must pause his battle game hundreds of times to order each unit of his to use the proper weapon.
    If there are more that 2 such units in an army their hundle is very dificult.
    If the player will delay to order his spearmen to switch from swords to spears again after their engage with cavalry they will be exterminated!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Basicaly yes. But a human player must pause his battle game hundreds of times to order each unit of his to use the proper weapon.
    If there are more that 2 such units in an army their hundle is very dificult.
    If the player will delay to order his spearmen to switch from swords to spears again after their engage with cavalry they will be exterminated!
    As it should be I'm thinking - the unit is only as good as it's leader and if the leader doesn't order spears, then no spears are used

But from my testing it doesn't take hundreds of times to order. Simply pressing the alt button before right clicking on the unit you wish to attack will make them charge with their secondary weapons. I'm not saying it's working flawlessly (as sometimes they will charge a bit - stop and draw their secondaries - and then charge the rest of the way), I'm only saying that it works and it's a nice feature for above average spearmen to have this option.

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhednin View Post
    As it should be I'm thinking - the unit is only as good as it's leader and if the leader doesn't order spears, then no spears are used

But from my testing it doesn't take hundreds of times to order. Simply pressing the alt button before right clicking on the unit you wish to attack will make them charge with their secondary weapons. I'm not saying it's working flawlessly (as sometimes they will charge a bit - stop and draw their secondaries - and then charge the rest of the way), I'm only saying that it works and it's a nice feature for above average spearmen to have this option.
    well i have to say that since i was the one fiddling with
    new animations and the most intrigued to make various combos
    that a spear 2ary maybe possible but not as realistic as it should
    cause from a visual aspect the presence of 2 weapons
    forces us to exploit basically an edited as preferable archers animation
    which has only given satisfying results onto infantry
    on spearmen on the other hand besides some (slight visual)crack-ups on the
    movement of the spearmen while idle , the very reason of them being
    spearmen is thrown from the window
    cause despite the fact that the animation setting was enabling u to switch weapons
    the spear should allways be the primary
    but if so in charge and/or in several circumstances unfortunatelly would not be so

on the other hand making it 2ary would mean that
    they loose their figthing style
    having swords(or whatever) wielded before engaging
    and spears taken out(er....where from????spear is a long thing to be kept smwhere, if not in hand all the way)
    once engaging

i suppose it sounds "greek" to some
    but since u are familiarized with animation coding and combining
    i m sure u understand what i am talking about
    and why i am sceptical about it....
    Last edited by koultouras; September 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM.

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

The pic of the bulgarian is so wrong ...

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Why, it's based on this famous picture. The only mistake, that I see, is that the original pic depicts events from much earlier (than 1014), Pagan times.

Anthonius was the Contaratoi the main infantry in a front line after acontistae? Or they were on flanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Dman1993 View Post
    Anthonius was the Contaratoi the main infantry in a front line after acontistae? Or they were on flanks?
    Kontaratoi were somehow the successors of Promachoi.
    That means that they formed the 1st lines of an infantry (scutatoi) battalion.
    In a sence all(kontaratoi,scutatoi,menaulatoi) are scutatoi soldiers with a diferent task in the infantry's formation and with the proper weapons for that task of theirs.

Thank you

Now Pechenegs and Rus are done we can focus on the Lombards preview and we can complete the Nikephorean armies.
    In the meanwhile these pics will remind us what enemies you will counter if you mess up with Roman Empire's regional troops!

To remind you that Roman infantry uses three sizes of spears ... 2m,3m and 4.4m ones.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast