Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hardest/Easiest Clan in Campaign?

Hartassen's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Hardest/Easiest Clan in Campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    yeah shimazu is the easiest. although that increased loyalty for generals is pretty worthless if you keep the honour of your dyamo up
    Converting to christianity means -2 honor.

Although I have to admit the bonus loyalty isn't worth much, but still an added bonus if you accidently make some mistakes like empty threats or you're forced to betray an alliance to avoid war with a powerful enemy.

Chokosabe is probably easiest for me.

The hardest for me would be Either Ikko- Ikki, Uesugi or Takeda.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Hartassen View Post
    Converting to christianity means -2 honor.

Although I have to admit the bonus loyalty isn't worth much, but still an added bonus if you accidently make some mistakes like empty threats or you're forced to betray an alliance to avoid war with a powerful enemy.

yeah but i never convert to christianity, too much trouble :p i did it once, as chosokabe. Way too much emptying from taxes to avoid rebellions. as mori im now taking over the shoni, and the christianity on kyushi (or whatever the shimazu island is called) is a real pain in the backside

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    yeah but i never convert to christianity, too much trouble :p i did it once, as chosokabe. Way too much emptying from taxes to avoid rebellions. as mori im now taking over the shoni, and the christianity on kyushi (or whatever the shimazu island is called) is a real pain in the backside
    But nanban trade vessels are so awesome. And the imported matchlock ashigaru are awesome siege defenders.

Why do people think Oda is hard? On the first turn you make peace with saito before you move any troops. This works cause Saito has no troops and their settlement is within range of your army so you could theortically lay siege and kill them that turn. As soon as you use enough movement points that you can no longer reach them, they won't make peace. Then the rebels / tokogawa are easy.. I find Oda and Tokagawa pretty easy.

The one I have never been able to win (on legendary) is Uesugi. Theire problems occur not on the first turn, but on the first 20 turns. Absolute nightmare...

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I just restarted a new Tokugawa campaign on Normal. After taking destroying and taking Oda's province I turtle up to build my economy. About turn 12 I think Ikko-Ikki is at my doorstep adn declare war on me....

I hope the Ikko-Ikki will be slighly nerfed with the latest patch....

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

mistake, replied on old post.

Bento's Avatar Tiro

For me the Uesugi are hands-down the hardest. Everyone and his brother wants to attack your vassal, so the only hope you have is to take the honour penalty and leave them to their fate - otherwise you're at war with everyone and the Hojo are spamming half stacks at you just about every other turn with their infinite money.

Not to mention that if/when the Date kill off the Mogami, they immediately declare war on you and a few turns later, they show up with almost a full stack with at least 3 Nag Sam and about 4-5 Yari Sam in it. Which pretty much steamrollers any Ashigaru-only castle in its way

And that's in the "easy" games where the Takeda get killed off early...
    I have yet to last more than about 10 years. ( using ZenDarth mod )

Quote Originally Posted by Bento View Post
    For me the Uesugi are hands-down the hardest. Everyone and his brother wants to attack your vassal, so the only hope you have is to take the honour penalty and leave them to their fate - otherwise you're at war with everyone and the Hojo are spamming half stacks at you just about every other turn with their infinite money.

Not to mention that if/when the Date kill off the Mogami, they immediately declare war on you and a few turns later, they show up with almost a full stack with at least 3 Nag Sam and about 4-5 Yari Sam in it. Which pretty much steamrollers any Ashigaru-only castle in its way

And that's in the "easy" games where the Takeda get killed off early...
    I have yet to last more than about 10 years. ( using ZenDarth mod )
    I've won Uesugi on hard without mods. I joined yamanouchi against satomi, I was like "they won't get there anyway" then Hojo comes I'm like "alright let's beat em both" then being worried about takeda I'm like "" ally with anegakoji and ikko ikki after I take etchu. Then takeda comes in I call allies for help (foolishly) lose them both and at war with takeda, hojo, satomi and then to make things better Ikko Ikki declares war. I take my army from jinbo and steal kaga, peace with ikko. Then after killing shingen + his 2 brothers and ujiyasu + his brother and 3.5 stacks of armies at echigen I finally could force hojo to pay me a massive tribute after I came breathing down kozuke. Then moved into north shinano and down into kai, takeda gone. Declared war on hojo, took kozuke. After that I steamrolled the game.

Was a good intense 20 first turns though. Interesting to try it on vh/legendary later on. I do think Uesugi are the hardest tbh, but if you survive the early game it gets a lot easier with bonus trade income and warrior monks owning it up.

Odd, I found the hojo easy, and I beat the campaign with them finely.

I'm getting owned on Hard difficulty if I dont play Oda or Ikko.

I'm really not sure what i'm doing wrong. I take one or two provinces early with little more than my starting forces, hunker down, build up my army.. but by about turn 10, i've got most of a stack of ashigaru built but because of upkeep costs my economy has ground to a halt. I'm bringing in no income, cannot support new units, and inevitably get overrun.

What the heck can I do better? The only reason it's different as Oda is their ashigaru are dirt cheap, and Ikko has as massive number of early trade and military access selling opportunities to keep the money flowing in. A lot of the other clans have at most two neighbours and one of those two usually is at war with you.

So what i'm saying is they all seem kind of hard to me, because I think i'm doing something wrong economically, getting out-macroed and overrun.
    Last edited by Charsi; September 06, 2011 at 10:11 AM.

Easiest: Takeda, chosokabe. Yea i know, takeda But i always do swell with em and they are easy to get a strong starter army with for some reason.

Hardest: Uesugi, ikko ikki, hattori. Uesugi start dirt poor, got yamanouchi who gets constantly attacked and drags you into alot of wars. long travel distance to initially hostile jinho aswell as other provinces making for a slow start. Not to forget the takeda hates them
    Ikko speaks for itself, everyone hates em, their ashigaru is useless and their ronins expensive. Unique religion makes it slow to expand aswell.
    Hattori: Starts smack in the middle of the map, can attack the shogun, asai or tsutsui. taking omi will probably see you attacked by oda/ikko, attacking tsutsui will see you warring with hatekayama aswell.
    Hattori has no easy start or expansion, moreover all their units costs alot more in upkeep than regular unit due to their kisho training making it hard to protect several flanks since you most likely wont have multiple armies.
    Last edited by zhiphius; September 06, 2011 at 10:18 AM.

between Shimazu and Chosokabe being the easiest, i have to ask, is Shimazu restricted to only 4 trade partners/routes? if not, i would say Shimazu is easier. it really sucks being Chosokabe, expanding out from Shikoku and still being limited to 4. plus, Shimazu is closer to the packed mass of trading nodes.

WelshDragon's Avatar Miles

Oda is hard IF you don't get the first few turns right... if you survive, you can expand quickly and cheap ashigaru means lots of troops. I just finished a long campaign on H, it was fun.

Easiest I've played is Chosokabe and Date. Starting locations and strategic advantages are very good.

Hardest for me have been Hattori and Takeda. With both, you seem to start fine, then get gangbanged by everyone at once.
    Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true. - Julius Ceasar

Takeda is the hardest camapign at the beginning, but when you've killed Hojo, Uesugi and Date and your 3 frontiers have been shrinked to one at the west it's as easy as a Date camapaign. But the time up to this moment can or will be pretty hard. VERY. HARD.
    Oda is not easy, but not too difficult, too. Because Saito and Tokugawa can be conquered fast after destroying the first army.
    same with Tokugawa, although I think it's harder because of the Imagawa who are a strong enemy or factor that kills your economy.

Date at the east or Shimazu/Chosokabe at the west are really easy because they just have one frontier. If you controll one side of Japan, you've done the half of the whole campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Carthago View Post
    Takeda is the hardest camapign at the beginning, but when you've killed Hojo, Uesugi and Date and your 3 frontiers have been shrinked to one at the west it's as easy as a Date camapaign. But the time up to this moment can or will be pretty hard. VERY. HARD.
    Oda is not easy, but not too difficult, too. Because Saito and Tokugawa can be conquered fast after destroying the first army.
    same with Tokugawa, although I think it's harder because of the Imagawa who are a strong enemy or factor that kills your economy.

Date at the east or Shimazu/Chosokabe at the west are really easy because they just have one frontier. If you controll one side of Japan, you've done the half of the whole campaign.
    this is very true. with neighboring AI's (and sometimes distant AI's) declaring war on you just because they feel like it (even though they might be very friendly) you really can't leave any borders unguarded. they will take your empty cities with a smile, so you have to divide your military or pour funds into an ashigaru stack that half the time doesn't do anything except guard against a potential threat. it feels great having the ocean at your border limits, she'll never backstab you!

k_161's Avatar Miles

I just lost a campaign as Shimazu using the universal AI mod. All I did was declare war on someone to take their Indonesian trade , and all of the sudden 3 clans sent full stacks to my home provinces, burned all of my ships and just basically wiped the floor with my army :S .

"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I know none, and therefore I am no beast"

Vasa's Avatar Tiro

I find Mori very easy. Naval dominance is easy to achieve, allowing you to take as many trade posts as you please and defend yourself against invaders. It's not very challenging to take control of the southern peninsula of Honshu, which seems to be the wealthiest region of the map.

Semisalis

Easy: Shimazu, Chosokabe

Hard: Ikko

Miles

I've tried to get a handful of legendary starts off the ground. Started with Toku and that seems like a real toughy. Too strong and Imagawa comes for you. Too weak and it seems like some one else does. Then I tried a couple Ikko starts and the a few Shimazu starts. Finally I started up a Hojo game and after a handful of turns I had to double check that it was indeed on legendary- although the no saves, no radar, etc pretty much gave it away.

Truly the easiest legendary start I've had yet. Possibly helped getting fisted as tokugawa a few times first, but still... and I'm sure that now I've jinxed myself.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast