Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want faster Computer/Gaming/TATW performance? Want more FPS? UPDATED! 3-29-2012

Default Re: Want faster Computer/Gaming/TATW performance? Want more FPS? UPDATED! 3-29-2012

Trailhog250, my man, I advise people to check out your thread all the time. And know what u should add to your OP? A little note for viewers to CLEAN up or blow out the dust from PC case and cooling fans, dust is a PC KILLER, and dust out a laptop too and check the cooling fan is it clear from dust. It kills performance, especially during summer.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; August 07, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Default Re: Want faster Computer/Gaming/TATW performance? Want more FPS? UPDATED! 3-29-2012

hey thank you man you save me

and when i'm install sub -mod does it make my game slow again?

Trailhog250's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Trailhog250, my man, I advise people to check out your thread all the time. And know what u should add to your OP? A little note for viewers to CLEAN up or blow out the dust from PC case and cooling fans, dust is a PC KILLER, and dust out a laptop too and check the cooling fan is it clear from dust. It kills performance, especially during summer.
    That's great I should list it.. I blow mine out every few months. +rep

Quote Originally Posted by bigbang133 View Post
    hey thank you man you save me

Quote Originally Posted by bigbang133 View Post
    and when i'm install sub -mod does it make my game slow again?
    Not necessarily, submods such as MOS caaannn slow your game down if you have an older PC. My turn times are no longer than a few secs though with MOS. All you can do is try it and find out. (with gamebooster ofc enabled )

Libertus

Dear trailhog250, I used your 5 programs because i noticed slower battles lately...just a little slower. I use a pretty powerfull pc. I noticed that my pc is reaaaaaaaaaly slow. So slow that i cant use it to type this simple msg. I am typing this from my tablet. I have not had any problems with this pc since i got it last winter. What do you think happened and do you have any solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by Zafersan View Post
    Dear trailhog250, I used your 5 programs because i noticed slower battles lately...just a little slower. I use a pretty powerfull pc. I noticed that my pc is reaaaaaaaaaly slow. So slow that i cant use it to type this simple msg. I am typing this from my tablet. I have not had any problems with this pc since i got it last winter. What do you think happened and do you have any solutions?

Hmmm... There is no 'master fix' for such problems.. These programs generally are meant to keep your PC from ever getting to the point you have described.

I would do one of the following:
    1. Run all scans with these programs (do a 'Full Scan' with Malware Bytes)
    1a. Ask yourself have you recently installed anything that could be causing this (a driver update maybe?)
    1b. Consider downloading, installing, and updating a free Antivirus program. I personally reccomend 'Avast!'. You could do a boot scan (a scan that requires you to restart your PC and then scans for likely PC infections before they have time to 'hide' themselves. The PC does not boot up so it can scan files it usually can't)

2. Consider doing a System Restore (google it and you can find instructions easy enough)

3. Last Resort Re install your PC using your Windows CD. (this has never failed me yet)

You could google this problem, it's possible there is something simple you've done/installed that has angered the mighty Windows Operating System

Libertus

Thx for ur solutions. Damn, there is no easy solution to this. I had no problems until i installed ur 5 programs. My paid anti virus (bit deffender) doesn't even work. Im subscribed with geeksquad. They deal with serious bs like this. I would suggest you look at ur 5 programs and see where and what can cause this because telling people that this is great and ****ing up someone else's pc is a serious problem.

I could choose to take serious offense to this bit right here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafersan
    I would suggest you look at ur 5 programs and see where and what can cause this because telling people that this is great and ****ing up someone else's pc is a serious problem.
    But.. I do not. I have been working with computers for well over 12 years and I will tell you that something else is causing your PC woes. No one else has ever had a problem with them on here and I have applied these same methods to PCs that their owners thought were well 'over the hill' as they call it and fixed them up in just 2 hours or less.

Have you tried a System Restore? That works about 99% of the time.

I do not know what is wrong with your PC, but I do not think any of these programs caused it. I do not waste my time posting BS on TWC to screw up someones computer. These are meant to help not harm your PC.

And if you still believe it's my fault don't say I did not give warning:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailhog250
    NOTE2: I am not liable if the programs some how set fire to your keyboard

Hi, nice guide, im thinking of trying out a few programs but I just wanted to know if some of them would trully make much of a difference. I dont know how to describe it but ill try my best. I have bit defender, CCleaner, windows defrag, "and other programs" and some of these programs accomplish the same task you posted. For exemple: i use windows defragmentation, could your programs um i dont know if this will make sense but will your programs do a "better" defrag then what windows and bit defender do? im just asking cuz i accomplish most of the task you described on a weekly basis with different programs. so would changing programs make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Blob View Post
    Hi, nice guide, im thinking of trying out a few programs but I just wanted to know if some of them would trully make much of a difference. I dont know how to describe it but ill try my best. I have bit defender, CCleaner, windows defrag, "and other programs" and some of these programs accomplish the same task you posted. For exemple: i use windows defragmentation, could your programs um i dont know if this will make sense but will your programs do a "better" defrag then what windows and bit defender do? im just asking cuz i accomplish most of the task you described on a weekly basis with different programs. so would changing programs make a difference?

I have heard of CCleaner.. And bit defender. And ofc Windows Defrag. I cannot guarantee that it will make a difference, but I'm rather sure that it most likely would. The programs listed here are the best of the bunch. (by popular rating) If you do not wish to use these programs, (though I adivse you to) I would suggest at the very least trying out Gamebooster. Smart Defrag would probably do a better job than Windows, because it has the 'fully optimize' feature. (ie programs that are used the most get moved to the fastest part of the hard drive; does not actually move any files are as far as folders/locations are concerned though so everything is still in the same place ) Malwarebytes is also considereed the best anti-malware utility. (even by hackers it's considered the only program with little to no known 'loop holes')

At the very least, if you do not like the programs you can ofc uninstall them. (IObit offers a great uninstaller that comes with ASC that allows you to uninstall multiple programs simultaneously while also deleting registry and harddrive entries of the programs so they truly are deleted and not just 'uninstalled')

Galain_Ironhide's Avatar Semisalis

@Trailhog250 - Thankyou very much good sir, I ran all of these and noticed a large improvement - even by the AdvancedSystem Care part, well before I had installed and used gamebooster.

Would you recommend having any of these programs boot automatically at start up? The one I thought would be best would be the AdvancedSystem Care program as the Activeboost seems to have some sort of positive effect....? (Currently that is the only program of the 5 I have allowed at start up - smartdefrag was on however I didnt see the point and disabled it.)

If you have any further tips with any of those programs I would be very interested to hear about them. In particular, perhaps how regularly to use the maintenance options?

Again thanks, it was awsome to see a reletively free flowing massive scale battle on my pc at long last.
    Last edited by Galain_Ironhide; October 14, 2012 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhog250 View Post
    I have heard of CCleaner.. And bit defender. And ofc Windows Defrag. I cannot guarantee that it will make a difference, but I'm rather sure that it most likely would. The programs listed here are the best of the bunch. (by popular rating) If you do not wish to use these programs, (though I adivse you to) I would suggest at the very least trying out Gamebooster. Smart Defrag would probably do a better job than Windows, because it has the 'fully optimize' feature. (ie programs that are used the most get moved to the fastest part of the hard drive; does not actually move any files are as far as folders/locations are concerned though so everything is still in the same place ) Malwarebytes is also considereed the best anti-malware utility. (even by hackers it's considered the only program with little to no known 'loop holes')

At the very least, if you do not like the programs you can ofc uninstall them. (IObit offers a great uninstaller that comes with ASC that allows you to uninstall multiple programs simultaneously while also deleting registry and harddrive entries of the programs so they truly are deleted and not just 'uninstalled')
    ok, thanks for the advice. I guess ill give em a try.

+rep
    well thanks, game boost was a great help.
    With the other programs i was able to lower my average ram usage by around 15%.
    I also got a slighly faster startup and I was able to free up 5 gb of hard disk space.
    I know for some this might not sound like much but I have an average system and with game boost i got a 40% performance increase compared to before.
    Thanks for the great programs.
    For those who are curious here are my specs:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Display Memory: 2770 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1 GB GDDR5/256 bit @ 900 MHz

Quote Originally Posted by Galain_Ironhide View Post
    @Trailhog250 - Thankyou very much good sir, I ran all of these and noticed a large improvement - even by the AdvancedSystem Care part, well before I had installed and used gamebooster.

Would you recommend having any of these programs boot automatically at start up? The one I thought would be best would be the AdvancedSystem Care program as the Activeboost seems to have some sort of positive effect....? (Currently that is the only program of the 5 I have allowed at start up - smartdefrag was on however I didnt see the point and disabled it.)

If you have any further tips with any of those programs I would be very interested to hear about them. In particular, perhaps how regularly to use the maintenance options?

Again thanks, it was awsome to see a reletively free flowing massive scale battle on my pc at long last.
    The great thing about this guide is what it does to your PC in general, I have little to no guides on how to simply make your PC run like it was brand new. So I felt one was needed (all free as well)

Yes... Perhaps ASC is the only one that should be allowed to run on startup. Smart Defrag can be useful if you enable 'Auto-Defrag'. But I don't let it boot up on my PC.

I do the ASC and Glary scans then turbo+game boost(er) before playing if I'm going to be playing for a few hours to maximise perforamcne. Do them as often as you think they may be needed.. I can't see any harm coming of running them too often. So if you use the PC a lot; run them more frequently. Use your best judgement. (there are many secondary features that I don't cover about the programs as well, most notably ASC)

Glad to hear the battles worked out great for you

Quote Originally Posted by Blob View Post
    +rep
    well thanks, game boost was a great help.
    With the other programs i was able to lower my average ram usage by around 15%.
    I also got a slighly faster startup and I was able to free up 5 gb of hard disk space.
    I know for some this might not sound like much but I have an average system and with game boost i got a 40% performance increase compared to before.
    Thanks for the great programs.
    For those who are curious here are my specs:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Display Memory: 2770 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1 GB GDDR5/256 bit @ 900 MHz
    Great That's quite some improvement there on your PC. Glad to hear it made such a big difference.

Teutonic Warlord's Avatar Semisalis

This is a great guide you have here, Trailhog 250. Thank you for creating it. My laptop has sped up noticeably. I got it three years and two days ago, and I don't remember when it last ran so well. I will rep you in a bit.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you will update the guide with the new Advanced System Care 6.0. It offered to upgrade me this morning, so I did. It seems to be just as good as the one currently on your guide, and may be better. The only downside I notice is adjusting a little to the new interface, but that won't be much of a problem.

Thanks again!
    Insert something witty or possibly out of context here.

Thanks for this guide!
    My Laptop's been getting slower and slower over the past few months; but now it seems to have it's old kick again.
    It's like when I first bought it and spent the first week wondering why this gaming laptop lagged with old games, then realized there was different power settings for gaming.
    I'm free again!!

Incomitatus's Avatar Ducenarius

I run my own IT support company and you couldn't pay me enough to put Advanced System Care on a computer. It's one of the first things I remove when I service a computer.

The rest of the list I agree with, although I use Defraggler and would add RevoUninstaller. I also don't personally use Glary Utilities, though it's a great program, because it really doesn't like my RAMdrive.
    Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto. - Terence

My M2:TW 4TPY Script, Adapted to Work With Hotseat.

Guides and Useful Posts of Mine
    Middle Earth Strategikon (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)(WIP: ~60% Complete)
    Advice on Playing as Gondor - Part I - Part II (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)
    Dirty Secret to Killing Trolls Fast and Easy (M2:TW: TATW)
    The Basics of Naval Engagements Part I - Part II (EMPIRE: DMUC)
    Roman Army Composition and Use (RTW: RTR Platinum)

I may update the guide when I get time for ASC6.

Quote Originally Posted by Incomitatus View Post
    I run my own IT support company and you couldn't pay me enough to put Advanced System Care on a computer. It's one of the first things I remove when I service a computer.

The rest of the list I agree with, although I use Defraggler and would add RevoUninstaller. I also don't personally use Glary Utilities, though it's a great program, because it really doesn't like my RAMdrive.
    That's an interesting point of view Though I personally have had lots of success with ASC and Glary Utilities on multiple PCs, I am interested as to why you have not. What sort of program(s) would you use in their place?

Incomitatus's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhog250 View Post
    I may update the guide when I get time for ASC6.

That's an interesting point of view Though I personally have had lots of success with ASC and Glary Utilities on multiple PCs, I am interested as to why you have not. What sort of program(s) would you use in their place?
    Well, I'm sure I could use ASC without problems . My scepticism comes from the fact that almost every time a customer calls and starts with "I installed Advanced System Care and... " I know I'm going to be re-installing Windows because they'll have royally screwed up their Registry, at the very least.

I actually don't recommend any automated registry or junk file cleaning software to customers. Too many things can go wrong from user error and then they inevitably blame me, in past experience.

Personally, though, I use Ccleaner, Defraggler, and Revo Uninstaller. The latter two I recommend to customers and will show them how to use, but I would never put Ccleaner in a customer's hands for the same reason as ASC.

If a computer's performance is being significantly degraded by Registry or junk file issues, it should be seen by a professional unless the user is experienced enough to know what they are doing... in which case they would probably already be using the right tools and not be having a problem. A typical gamer should get enough benefit from defragmenting and using something like GameBooster.

I'd also add that for an always-on anti-virus, Microsoft Security Essentials is good enough and easily has the least impact on performance. And it's free. Malwarebytes is still the preferred tool for removing infections that do get in, though.
    Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto. - Terence

My M2:TW 4TPY Script, Adapted to Work With Hotseat.

Guides and Useful Posts of Mine
    Middle Earth Strategikon (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)(WIP: ~60% Complete)
    Advice on Playing as Gondor - Part I - Part II (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)
    Dirty Secret to Killing Trolls Fast and Easy (M2:TW: TATW)
    The Basics of Naval Engagements Part I - Part II (EMPIRE: DMUC)
    Roman Army Composition and Use (RTW: RTR Platinum)

I see what you're talking about now, you've seen too many cases of the classic 'Operator Error' disease How they managed to harm their registry with these programs I don't know unless they just went through mindlessly clicking on things they shouldn't have

So what you're saying is that you do not necessarily think Glary's or ASC are bad programs, but rather the harm they can do in the wrong hands is?

Quote Originally Posted by Incomitatus
    A typical gamer should get enough benefit from defragmenting and using something like GameBooster.

I'd also add that for an always-on anti-virus, Microsoft Security Essentials is good enough and easily has the least impact on performance. And it's free. Malwarebytes is still the preferred tool for removing infections that do get in, though.
    Perhaps... But as long as the user knows what they are doing a good registry cleaning tool can improve performance.

I have yet to meet anyone, who considered Malwarebytes to be a bad program

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast