Thread: Different starting scenario: 1560 or 1561

Default Different starting scenario: 1560 or 1561

It would be nice to have the option to play the game starting around 1560/1561. Basically, that was the time when the major clans in the game were rising to power.

Lots of interesting things happened at that time. Oda Nobunaga scored a major victory over Imagawa and was even able to kill Imagawa Yoshimoto at the battle of Okehazama. Following that event, Tokugawa Ieyasu was finally able to break free from the weakened Imagawa. The 4th Battle of Kawanakajima between Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin also occurred around that time.

Here's how i suggest modders could implement this:

- Add 20 years to the campaign completion objectives since we're taking 20 years off the start of the default setting(1540).

- Majority of the playable(major) clans in the game start out with 2-3 provinces as they did historically by 1560. Oda and Tokugawa would each have only 1 province but would start out as strong allies. Takeda would own Kai and Shinano, Uesugi with Echigo and Kozuke, Hojo with Musashi and Sagami etc

- All clans would start having researched some of bushido/clan arts equivalent to 80 turns(20 years) of research time. Takeda would start the game well into the cavalry line of bushido arts, Uesugi with the monk line, Mori with the navy line etc.

- Not sure what the right number is, but clans, for example, would have starting armies equivalent to 10000 koku. Then clans with more than 1 province would start between 1.5 to 2 times this number as they would have additional provinces to protect.

- The composition of the starting armies would differ clan to clan according to relevance. The takeda would have a starting army composed of some yari/katana cavalry. Uesugi would have warrior/bow monks to start with. Shimazu with katana samurai etc

- Starting Daimyo/generals should of course be modified to reflect historical accuracy.

That's it. Gameplay mods like the darthmod and future mods that would incorporate historical generals would compliment a mod like this very well and would definitely add to the fun factor and replayability of shogun 2.

With this mod, AI controlled major clans would most likely survive and expand making the mid to end game, a clash between the major clans and not the player steam rolling over the minor clans. Together with the darthmod, giving the AI the capability to recruit advanced units early on would result to more epic battles between samurais and not whole armies of ashigaru versus ashigaru.

It kinda sucks when you've finished two domination campaigns and never for once fought an army with a single warrior/bow monk or matchlock samurai and only when i had 30 provinces already would i be in a battle with some samurai cavalry.

Default Re: Different starting scenario: 1560 or 1561

actually your adding 15 years defualt is 1545

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Ya know, I had almost the exact same idea but was too lazy to post it. Thanks for doing all the work.

The only thing is I don't think the startpos is editable therefore the campaign is not editable, I may be mistaken on that but since there haven't been any campaign changing mods coming out I'm going to assume that this is the case. I also like the idea of having certain factions' research already progressed down a particular path, never would've thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by hippacrocafish View Post
    Ya know, I had almost the exact same idea but was too lazy to post it. Thanks for doing all the work.

The only thing is I don't think the startpos is editable therefore the campaign is not editable, I may be mistaken on that but since there haven't been any campaign changing mods coming out I'm going to assume that this is the case. I also like the idea of having certain factions' research already progressed down a particular path, never would've thought of that.
    With the latest pack file manager it should be possible to unpackthe startpos.esf correctly and mod it with esf editor 1.6.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    With the latest pack file manager it should be possible to unpackthe startpos.esf correctly and mod it with esf editor 1.6.
    Ah, well that's good news. Hopefully some mods will start getting off the ground now.

Why would you want to shorten a campaign that's already quite short?
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    Why would you want to shorten a campaign that's already quite short?
    Add 20 years to the campaign completion objectives since we're taking 20 years off the start of the default setting(1540).

Quote Originally Posted by Shugo560 View Post
    actually your adding 15 years defualt is 1545
    thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by hippacrocafish View Post
    Ya know, I had almost the exact same idea but was too lazy to post it.

Thanks for doing all the work. The only thing is I don't think the startpos is editable therefore the campaign is not editable, I may be mistaken on that but since there haven't been any campaign changing mods coming out I'm going to assume that this is the case. I also like the idea of having certain factions' research already progressed down a particular path, never would've thought of that.
    happy to have been your secretary sir

im really hopeful something like this would come out in the near future. it would be a welcome change especially to players who have already beaten the game multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaka View Post
    thanks for the correction.

happy to have been your secretary sir

im really hopeful something like this would come out in the near future. it would be a welcome change especially to players who have already beaten the game multiple times.
    In addition to all the things you've listed I would also like to see much larger and more numerous starting armies, there seems to be a distinct lack of 'Epicness' in my recent battles.

@hippacrocafish - OK, my bad.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Elta's Avatar Tiro

This would be amazing.

Ten dollar steam gift to whoever can do this

That is definitely cool, yea most of the famous general are still young or not even there at the beginning of the scenario, and major clan usually dies relatively fast.

I AGREE %100!!! I spent about 16 hours of reading and learning. pack file manager can definitely do most of this. What I really want is to make a historically accurate 1560 or 1561 campaign that takes place after Nobunaga Oda defeats the Imagawa army at Okehazama, thus freeing Motoyasu Matsudaira, (Ieyasu Tokugawa), to reclaim his castle and ally, (actually become the vassal), with Nobunaga Oda. The real kicker is that I'd like it to incorporate the "Expanded Japan" mod by uanime5, and darthmod. This means that Katsuie Shobata would be merged into Nobunaga's forces, giving him two fiefs at the start, and Ieyasu has a solid historically accurate diplomatic situation setting the stage for him to conquer to the east. SOME MAKE THIS HAPPEN PLEASE lol. In return, you would be hailed as the all powerful by mod fans and me. which is important