Thread: Books on the History of Europe

Default Books on the History of Europe

I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on think and thorough books on the history of Europe. I'm looking to enlighten my knowledge on Europe and such. I'm going into Middle Eastern studies, but I figured it wouldn’t be a bad idea to deepen my knowledge basis of history none the less... So, any suggestions? Thanks!
    "The ABC of our profession, is to avoid large abstract terms in order to try to discover behind them the only concrete realities, which are human beings."
    - Marc Bloch

Under the Patronage of Lord Rahl

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

go to the bookstore and there will be, oh I dont know, an entire section for European history
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Sounds like he was looking for suggestions on books that might describe the actuality of the history, not just one perspective, but thats just my take.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Roman
    go to the bookstore and there will be, oh I dont know, an entire section for European history
    Hey, I'm just looking for any suggested reading on European history. If you have any, it would be much appreciated. And I really don’t have a Barnes and Noble in my small town, if I can call that. So yea, any suggestions as to what books in particular to look for about the general history of europe? Thanks
    Last edited by Major.Stupidity; February 15, 2006 at 06:06 PM.
    "The ABC of our profession, is to avoid large abstract terms in order to try to discover behind them the only concrete realities, which are human beings."
    - Marc Bloch

Under the Patronage of Lord Rahl

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Fedaiken
    Sounds like he was looking for suggestions on books that might describe the actuality of the history, not just one perspective, but thats just my take.
    I know, I was just being sarcastic. Okay...hmmmm, some good books? well any particular time period? If you are looking for something that covers from ancient to modern times then I would recommend The Pengiun History of Europe by JM Roberts. Im about halfway through it, so far it seems to be a very good read.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Well for a starters, I recommend Osprey books. Great to gain an intrest in a subject. Other than that, I dont got many suggestions

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY