Thread: Calvary Archer realistic Firing Arc?

soveliss99's Avatar Civis

Default Calvary Archer realistic Firing Arc?

I was wondering if the archers firing arc is hard coded. specifically for horse archers. Historically, calvary archers could fire off the left side of the horse, their aim was not restricted to firing in front of them. this is a unfortunately overlooked by CA when they took the firing arcs from ETW and put them in shogun 2.

You can witness a 360 firing arc appear when your calvary archers employ the "swooping crane" (the name eludes me) special unit ability, so i was wondering if the arc would be employed even if the horse archers were not using this ability. It would make them more easy to maneuver on the battlefield since you cannt rely on skirmish to keep them out of melee.

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Calvary Archer realistic Firing Arc?

I like it personally for balance/gameplay purposes.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

if they spun around and rode in the opposite direction when switching sides would be a good way off keeping the round firing arc and providing a logical reason fro its existance

(dunno if they do this, never used swooping crane after the first time, skirmish on and they just stayed in the same position NOT FIRING riding aorund in circles while enemy INFANTRY advanced and meleed them to death. Not a shot fired. It is like my bow cav samurai have magic never shooting when i want them to abilities. They are awesome at shooting my own soldiers tho.)

Quote Originally Posted by soveliss99 View Post
    I was wondering if the archers firing arc is hard coded. specifically for horse archers. Historically, calvary archers could fire off the left side of the horse, their aim was not restricted to firing in front of them. this is a unfortunately overlooked by CA when they took the firing arcs from ETW and put them in shogun 2.

You can witness a 360 firing arc appear when your calvary archers employ the "swooping crane" (the name eludes me) special unit ability, so i was wondering if the arc would be employed even if the horse archers were not using this ability. It would make them more easy to maneuver on the battlefield since you cannt rely on skirmish to keep them out of melee.

I know firing arcs were modded in NTW and Empire, so I don't see why they can't be modded in Shogun. Just wait until the files are opened. The only problem is that the AI might not realize that they can use the whole arc, or there might be some animation troubles (but IDK)
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

i second this idea whole heartedly.....

already proposed it in Darthmod so maybe his darkness will pick up on it.....

It is already enabled in DarthMod:Shogun II from versions past past before...

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    It is already enabled in DarthMod:Shogun II from versions past past before...
    for archers...truly??? i never even noticed...... fair play though.

Any idea if you are going to tweak normal archers so they dont form up like musket infantry??????