Thread: Factions' objectives

Default Factions' objectives

Because of the very good questions of Glycerius i would liek some suggestions about the objectives of the several factions.

For the byzantines i thought it would be good these objectives:

-defeat their greatest enemies: The Seldjuk turks
    -defeat armenian rebels (cilician armenia) and conquer Antioch (these things have been done by Ioannes II Comnenus and by his son Manuel I Comnenus)
    -take Damietta in Egypt, some lands near Jerusalem and some lands in southern Italy( Manuel I sent an expedition in southern Italy and after that in Egypt leaded by Stephanos Contostephanos).

What do you think? and write what objectives would be good for the other factions.

I do not know about Egypt. The Coptic majority were enraged by the persecution that Patriarch Cyrus inflicted on them. The result was that while Egypt was defended with the peaceable loss of Alexandria and the surrender of formations under the Patriarch, the loss was rapid. The Copts would have fought a Byzantine return with their bare hands, maybe not, but I cannot see Damietta as an objective. I endorse the idea of taking out the Seljuks and recovering Cilicia and Antioch, alongside southern Italy. Ancona was largely under Byzantine sway in the eleventh century thanks to the efforts of Byzantine agents hoping to use it against Sicily. The emperor Michael IV Paphlagon had almost fully rebuild the Church of the Holy Sepulchre around 1040 after the deranged Caliph Hakim had it demolished. Jerusalem would be a reasonable objective therefore. Damascus might be another given that the Byzantine had some presence in Syria already. Not all the local Syriac Christians had much love for the Byzantines. Alleppo might be another objective given that it almost taken.

Damascus and Damietta could be the objectives for the Outremer factions like the Kingdom of Jerusalem, County of Tripoli and others. Constantinople as a store of relics and after the Third Crusade the heart of the enemy for the Frank might be another. Edessa would be another claim given its place in Christian history and more obviously given that it was one of the Frankish states. Cyprus would surely a target given its wealth and location.

The Seljuks would aim for Brusa, Nicomedia, Trebizond - basically aiming to take Anatolia. Given that the Prophet Mohammed himself prophesised its fall and order Eyup to take it, Constantinople might be a target. His body was only found when the city finally fell.

The Normans of Sicily might aim to take Hellas, Cephallenia, Dyrrachium. Basically a plausible aim would be to take the land around the Ionian sea. They did certainly try to do that.

I will read the faction list before making more suggestions. I hope these are of use.

Venice would probably aim to take Crete and which islands the map depicts. Their size was manageable for a city state with limited terra firma and the perfect sites for growing or trading cash crops like sugar.

Hungary was a target of Byzantine diplomacy and did not entirely appreciate it. Sardica, Philoppolis, Skopje, Serres, Naissus Thessalonica or whichever are on the map might all the possible targets. Taking Spolato and gaining a sea aspect on the Adriatic generally was an aim of the Hungarians and resulted in war with Venice. I would need to research this.

The Atabeg of Allepo might aim for Edessa and Antioch, and perhaps Damascus, but perhaps not as it would weaken the Moslem side overly to have criss-crossing claims among small factions.

More and revisions of same later.

Is there a list of provinces? That would help a lot.
    Last edited by Glycerius; February 15, 2006 at 12:23 PM.

Not yet....anyway good suggestions! thanks!

actually, there is a province list! it's not complete, but i hope you'll understand

Unfortunately, not writing from my pc, i'm not able to show it.

AI SUPORT ITALI IN ER STRAGGOL FOR GUD FUD

Stereotypical coward \ pasta-eating \ "family" member italian, who talks with a sexy, weird, accent and can perform a wonderful Mandolino solo, eating a pizza under the shadow of the vesuve, gesturing like a madman...Or am i?

299th modder in the bottom 300!!!
    Take that, east-saint-luis!

The post above is fairly cursory at the moment. I have seen screenshots of the minimap - that will allow me to determine some objectives properly. The Byzantines could perhaps have the objective of retaking the Dalmatian coastline, though that was freely conceded to the Venetians by Basil II who made the Doge the Dux Dalmatiae. This safeguarded a hard to access territory from hostile peoples while allowing his undivided fury to be vented on the Bulgarians. This needs thought.