Thread: First Campaign: Early Impressions

Chuck_Norris's Avatar Tiro

Default First Campaign: Early Impressions

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this mod Eothese!

So far my campaign as the Parstan Empire is going well, though I had some hiccups along the way.

During the first few turns I started to build up my economy so I can support a standing army. I was already wealthy but I wanted more. So i started to wage a financial war with the Kedos but most of my merchants were run down quickly trying to take their markets. Eventually I gave up and started to invest in my own territories, raking in almost 2000 florins!

A little after my economic success, the Cultists came with a HUGE army...2 stacks near the walls of Parstan, my capital. Unfortunately my forces were spread thin liberating the nearby villages that were in the hands of the cultists. They came fast and hard....I only i had a small garrison (4 units) comprised of mostly the town guard and local militia. They fought valiantly and slaughtered about 1/4 of their army before being overrun completely.

With the loss of my biggest hub of income and later the merchants were starting to lose their markets to foreign merchants as well, I started to lose my profits quickly....I had to act fast. Emperor Aldear with a full stack of militia, archers and swordsmen, started to 'B-Line' it to Parstan. It would take a full 4 turns to arrive which gave the Cultists enough time to prepare and raid other towns as well.
    As soon as I arrived with the Emperor, I layed siege to Parstan and followed with an assault on the next turn. It wasn't a very hard battle as the cultist were cut down by my mercenary Iron Fist legions.

Parstan was taken back and started to gain lost money. This is where things started to get interesting.

I requested a crusade on the city of Shodan, and followed with three stacks of the best troops I could muster. Next turn, Tarn, Ethania, The Warden of the Gate, The Iron Fist, and Me were at the walls of Shodan preparing to take it by force. The Shodan had a full stack garrisoned within the city...and looked tough with a few units of Ancestral Warriors at their side. The Elves had already been beating them senseless by taking four of their settlements already. This was going to be the final nail in the coffin.

As we were besieging the city, out of nowhere the Elves betray Ethania by attacking one of their outlying settlements and sacking it causing a chain reaction of alliances being broken. The motives are unknown and I continue to investigate the cause .

Here are the sides that are being taken so far by the 'Kingdoms Below The Mountains':

The Great Alliance (Those that kept the alliance with Ethan and The Warden of the Gate).
    -The Warden of the Gate (Leader of Alliance)
    -The Parstan Empire
    -Ethania
    -Marl
    -The Gnomes
    -The Dwarves
    -The Iron Fist
    -The Bronze Circle
    -The Tulkan Tribes
    -The Askan Tribes

The Eleven Alliance (Those that broke from the great alliance and sided with the Elves).
    -The Elves (Leader of Alliance)
    -Tarn
    -Kedos
    -Degos
    -Ritos
    -Galan
    -Valan
    -Hetos

Looking at these odds, I decided to end this tension before it took off into a full scale war. The Elves are the ringleader of the Elven Alliance and are conveniently located on my southern borders . I wanted to take them out and bring the rest of the nations back in line as the Twice Damned were advancing rather quickly, already taking settlements in the north.

I prioritized the situation at Shodan and lifted the siege and headed into the Holms of the elves. I attacked the elves quickly, besieging two settlements, taking another, and defeating one of their standing armies.....War had broken out between the Parstan Empire and the Elves. Soon after the Warden of the Gate, Marl, and Ethania joined in.

Right now I just got done fighting a bloody battle between the High Lord of the Elves and Emperor Aldear. It was a victories battle, but one of great loss, I lost 3/4 of my army and one of my generals was slain on the battlefield. The Elevs outcome was grizzly at best, losing their beloved High Lord and their whole army routing before me.

The other nations haven't come to the aid of the Elves....yet. I can see an armistices between Ethania and Hetos about to tip over into full scale war. If that happens, this war will expand throughout Eothese and the Twice Damned along with its allies will claim victory over us without lifting a sword.

So far this campaign has me hooked! I can't stop playing because I want to see what events play out in this world of yours . I'll continue to give updates of my campaign if you want.
    Last edited by Chuck_Norris; March 30, 2011 at 02:10 PM.

Default Re: First Campaign: Early Impressions

I want, and I've given you your own slot as such an effort deserves it.. I much prefer to let people find there own way, but I will add something, although it's probably true of any mod. The actions of the faction controlled by the player can make a vast diffrence on a campaign, with Akthross this is compounded many times over. The additions I'm putting in place for the next release should only serve to make this more true.
    Last edited by Eothese; March 30, 2011 at 03:12 PM.

Chuck_Norris's Avatar Tiro

Thanks!

I'm you glad liked it. But yes I think that is the key factor in any mods' success...the players ability to impact the world around him/her. I found that this mod gives me the satisfaction of playing as an enforcer of the alliance (As I'm currently enrolled in now), or seperating myself from everyone, leaving the fate eothese with one less power at it's side, or even more, siding with the twice damned (Soon to be thrice damned )

I've played a bit more with the campaign but havn't got enough "material" to actually give a full report yet....almost there though.

No probs, in your own time. If anyone else feels the urge to post a revieplease feel free to post here.

Humakty's Avatar Tiro

I've played the Parstan too for my first game. Everything went well in the beginning, as my capital was riffle with troops and a new Bronze circle Boyz band to welcome the cultists. No luck for them. The demise of cultists left me with a rich empire, and I was able to afford an alliance + right of passage with my northern neighbour, to begin kicking some TTD arsses.
    Apart from Shodan treason, everything was cool in the alliance (even if the elves keep massing at Ethan's borders...). BTW, Shodan was squashed real fast, their territory being totally open to elves death squads. I don't think they stand a chance to endure against the alliance. (plus their troops are totally outshined by the elves' ones.)

My first northward expedition allowed me to take an outpost called 'mountain', thanks to good use of my mages and support from my allies (a full stack ! Nice fellahs !) I was able to hold untill my second stack arrived. From this point I proceeded to crush any TTD army trying to invade the northeast portion of the map. The northwest is allas lost, Marl is holding on its two last cities, Ritos on its last one, Orcs and Trolls have grown fat on their plunder. So sooner or later I'll have to leave my river crossings and move west....

All in all, my only saving grace was my Bronze Circle Adept. Those kick serious arss !! One of them at a river crossing, or in a street, creates a zone of death nothing can cross. Maybe nerf their ammo a bit ? Though I wonder what I'd rely on to fight TTD, their melee is beastly. (and they are REALLY numerous )

Very nice mod, will be gorgeous once you put the fluff in. (unit description...etc)
    Last edited by Humakty; April 01, 2011 at 07:21 AM.
    Ten times more numerous, by night and backstabbing.

Senior member of the G.L.I.N..

### Playing as Tarn (around turn 20). A crusade into Twice Curseds' lands are called.

The crusade started off slowly with only the Ethanians joining at the outset. Sadly enough a misunderstanding between one of the Ethanian generals and a Dwarven general while passing through Dwarven lands lead to the Dwarves deciding to leave the alliance in protest. The break in the alliance short (just a couple of turns) and shortly afterwards a Dwarven diplomat appeared in-front of the gates of the town of Tarn and sued for an alliance again. In return Tarnia promised to join the crusade(*).

Prince Narwin had just finished securing our own lands, successfully purging Tarnia of the taint of the Cult of the One God. King Narwon decided to gather the kingdoms generals around the castle of Wofikk and sent word to gather the hosts west of Wofikk. It was decided that the King himself would lead the main army north, through Ethania and continuing through Dwarf land in an effort to support the central regions that was under heavy pressure from the hosts of the Twice Cursed.

The command of the second, supporting, army for the crusade fell upon Narwop. Child-hood friend of Prince Narwin and having shown his loyalty to the ruling family time and again adopted into the house of Prince Narwin. Some of the generals had voiced concerns because of Narwops lack of experience in leading larger armies. King Narwons reasoned that the campaign would be a good opportunity for Narwop to learn under his own tutoring, and that sending both the King and the Prince across the mountains in the north could very well leave the country without a leader. Tarn would also be better served with Prince Narwin keeping an eye on the eastern border to Shodan, and making sure that the Cult do not regain a foot-hold inside the Kingdom.

The crusading armies formed and started their march north. King Narwon marched north through the western parts of Ethania, into the Dwarven lands by Gnomish lands, and General Narwop marched north-east to Heaven's Gate and onwards towards Castle Wygan where the two armies met up, together with Princess Aldara, who had been travelling all over the continent securing alliances and right of passage for the armies.

Having seen the chivalrous ways of Narwop, the King decided then and there that should the crusade be successful and Narwop lived to return to Tarn, that his daughters hand would be his in marriage. Not only would it be a fitting reward for Narwops spotless loyalty towards the Kingdom, but it would also make sure that any children sired by Narwop would be of royal blood. He also granted the governing of Nauss unto Narwop. After receiving reports of the fall of Hollow's Deep from his advance scouts, King Narwon decided to march north towards the town to aid the kingdom of Ritos in it's struggle against the combined forces of the Trolls and the Twice Cursed.

Current world situation:

• Apart from the treacherous Shodan and the incident with the Dwarfs, the alliance have held firm.
    • The Kingdom of Tarn is united and strong. The strong prince Narwin has crushed the cult inside of Tarns borders. The Prince watches over the kingdom while his father crusades.
    • The Kingdom of Galan is united and strong. They have yet to defeat the cult, but are not threatened by their presence inside their lands. They have yet to join the crusade.
    • The Kingdom of Shodan is fractured. They have yet to defeat the cult, and their presence is strong inside their splintered kingdom. At war with the Kingdom of Ethania and the Elves. The initial fighting was centred around Oden's Watch and involved Ethania and Shodan, but the Elves quickly sieged and took Shodan City, splitting the kingdom into two parts. The elves are putting pressure on the eastern part, while the fighting around Oden's Watch continues. The battle of Oden's Watch seem to be swinging in the favour of Ethania seeing as the elves have sent an army to reinforce the sieging Ethanians.
    • Ethania is under no direct threat. Fighting at Oden's Watch and currently has two (spotted) generals crusading. One of the armies has been reported to have taken heavy casualties while fighting. The Cult has been driven out of Ethania.
    • The eastern kingdoms and empires are currently involved in heavy fighting with the Cult of the One God. The cult has taken Degos City, Hetos City and Stanhold so far and seem to have consolidated their positions. (5 turn old Intel)
    • In the north-west the Kingdom of Marl is holding steady against the Orc threat. The tribe of Akan seem to have taken one of the villages close to the northern borders and are helping secure the northern Marlian border.
    • The kingdom of Ritos is struggling with the pressure of the Trolls and the invading Twice Cursed. Hollow's Deep has been lost to the Twice Cursed. The current crusade may have tipped the balance for Ritos in their struggle for survival as most of the crusading armies pass right through their lands on their way north, easing up some of the pressure.
    • The Kingdom of Kedan is fighting the Cult in the south of their kingdom and keep a big force near Kedan's Watch securing their northern border. No intel on their interior at the moment. The Iron Fist has taken and operate out from Zurif village and has helped beating back an attack on Kedan's Watch.

Very nice backstrom, +rep

### Playing as Tarn (around turn 30). A traitor in our midst.

The crusade ended in a long-drawn and bloody struggle as eight different armies of the Alliance closed in on Broalepp. The first three waves of assaults on the city failed, a fourth was viciously beaten back by arriving enemy forces. After beating back the new enemy army, King Narwon received report that another three armies of the enemy was fast approaching from the south to reinforce. The decision was made that King Narwon and Narwop of Nauss return and hold off the enemy reinforcement until the siege was finished.

Heading south and leaving Narwop of Nauss defending the bridge the enemy had to use as they had turned back to help in defence of Broalepp, King Narwon realised the situation was dire indeed. Their first engagements with the enemy had been a success for the knights and men-at-arms of Train. Using good positioning, ambushes and swift movement King Narwon had been able to isolate and destroy several smaller parties as they closed in on the fallen city of Hollow's Deep. The siege of the city itself had gone smoothly, it seemed the troops of the enemy had not yet gotten used to fighting in the cramped spaces of the city streets. Something the Tarn troops and mercenaries was. The only worrying thing had been a report of an enemy army that had slipped through the passage east of the mountain chain, but as the army neared the besieging army, it was caught up by a large force from the Tulkan tribes and was beaten thoroughly.

After securing the Hollow's Deep, King Narwon sent word to King Ramak that the town would be held by Tarn forces until relief forces could be sent, and the town returned to it's earlier owner. The King then lead his men north, into the passage being used by the bulk of the enemies forces. The fighting was hard, but because of the swift advance, and bad placement of the enemies defences, King Narwon was able to push through the pass with relatively few losses. The bronze mages Prince Narwin had used to burn out the cult, and which he had insisted the King bring along, came into their own in the mountainous terrain where it was easy to deny the enemy access to them.

Half-way through the desert scouts returned with the location of a small Centaur settlement. Due to the fact the settlement contained a well, and the location, the decision was made to capture it. The second army, under Narwop of Nauss, was sent out together with the Tulkan mercenaries with orders to capture the settlement and turn it over to the hands of the Tulkan tribesmen as a resupply point for armies crossing the desert, and to keep track of enemy movements. Travelling across the desert had been hard, both on the troops and on the King, but they managed to reach the bridge without any major incidents, encountering only smaller enemy scouting parties. The King later learned that the lack of enemies was much due to a large host from the eastern parts of the alliance that had swept through just a couple of weeks before.

But that was then. Now the King stood at the very same bridge, trying to decide how to buy the crusaders time to finish the siege of Broalepp. He decided Narwop would hold the bridge, while he took his own troops out into the desert to engage on of the armies that had gotten ahead of the other two. Narwop protested the battle would be easier if both armies engaged the enemy, but the King pointed out to him that their main objective was to buy the besiegers time and that without anyone guarding the bridge, there could be no guarantee that the other two armies would not be able to make it over before they returned.

The First army took position a days travel away from the bridge and lay in wait for the enemy. The battle that followed was short and bloody. The enemy it seemed, had been expecting their foe on the other side of the bridge, not out in the desert, and seemed ill prepared when the First army attacked. Having superior ranged forces, King Narwon was able to kill most of the enemies before melee was even engaged. The large amount of Ogres meant that the First army took some casualties even so.

Forcing the march after the battle meant the First army was able to make it over the bridge just in time as the enemies remaining two armies arrived at it and together with the rested Second army they beat back the enemies attempts to cross it. As they prepared to march towards Broalepp they received word that the town had been taken by the Kingdom of Ethania and that the town had been heavily fortified by the armies of the Alliance.

While celebrating the news of the successful crusade a band of Tulkans arrived bearing news that the fort controlling the passage back to Alliance lands had been lost to marauding troll forces. Reports also came in that the Centaurs and forces of the Twice Damned had moved into the area east of the mountains. With the threat of their supply route being cut off the decision was made that both armies return across the desert and secure the pass.

With the Tulkan as scouts both armies managed to make the trip across the desert swiftly and without incidents. The pass was empty but when they arrived at the fort, they realised that more bands of trolls must have reinforced the fort while the armies were crossing the desert. The defending troll forces was large and seeing no option in attacking and risking the larger part of both the First and the Second army the decision was made to encircle the fort and starve the defenders, or force them to attack them outside of the fort where the cavalry could be utilised to better effect.

This delayed the return of the armies severely. But luckily for the King the trolls seemed to not want to risk battle with the larger forces of armies surrounding the fort, and soon fell to in-fighting when food became scarce inside the fort. Leaving very few defenders that was easily taken care off and the fort secured.

Messengers were sent out to the Band of the Iron Fist, asking if they could send reinforcements to guard the pass, seeing as they had most of their forces located in a nearby village. Leaving a small detachment to await the reply, the men prepared to march south.

King Narwon was looking forward to returning to Tarn and resupply and refit the armies. Knowing that the town of Broalepp was secure, and the supply route leading to it was under control, the King was looking forward towards the promised wedding between his daughter Princess Aldara and his brother-in-arms Narwop of Nauss on their return to Tarn. His mood brightened by the thought he decided that he and Narwop would take a detachment of knights and travel ahead of the main army. However, any happy thoughts he or Narwop may have had, was soon to change.

As they crossed the borders into the Dwarven kingdom a messenger from the Dwarven king arrived, saying that their attendance was needed immediately. The messenger did not know the reason for the summoning, the only other bit of information he had, was that orders had gone out to all the mines and settlements of the dwarves that the grand army be assembled. With an increasing feeling that something, somewhere had gone terribly bad, the King ordered his men to set up camp and set off together with the messenger and Narwop to meet with the Dwarven King. Upon reaching the Dwarf fortress the King Narwon, with Narwop closely behind him was hastily lead into a room bristling with activity, a dozen clerks swirling around a large table in the middle of the room covered with maps of different sizes, surrounded by the Dwarven King and some of the generals Narwon had met on his way north. They were both lead straight up to table and when they approached the King Coatl turned towards Narwon, a grim expression on his face, and uttered the words.

"Reports have come in from the Tulkan's in the north. The town of Broalepp is lost and the Kingdom of Ethania has forsaken it's oaths to the Warden of the Gates."

Current world situation:
    • The battle of Oden's Watch ended at the same time as the crusade. The Kingdom of Ethania has it currently. Battles are raging all across Shodan territory, with the elves slowly occupying more and more of it's territory. The Cult of the One God has also increased it's presence there after the loss of their north-eastern holdings. The Shodans are still occupying all of their old forts and doesn't look like they'll lose them anytime soon.
    • In the eastern kingdoms the Tulkan tribes have established a base of operations and proceeded to take back the lost settlements from the Cult of the One God. The cult does not exist in the north-east any more.
    • The rest of the kingdoms are more or less the same.
    • After losing the town of Broalepp back to the Twice Damned, the Kingdom of Ethania was excommunicated for reasons to me unknown. An elven army entering their lands and that could be possibly be the reason. Not sure who was the aggressor though, probably the Elves.
    • The Kingdom of Tarn has it's forces spread out. Prince Narwin is currently raising new armies to rush to the defence of the Warden while the King is separated from his army.
    • The political situation went from boring-after-ended-crusade to very interesting with a lot of possible opportunity for expansion because of the excommunication of Ethania.

Another captivating read, will rep you again as soon as I'm able.

this mod is amazing. i'm literally speechless. im currently playing as Galan and it's going quite well. i successfully captured the settlement of Broalepp through glorious crusade. i HATE your ogers! hate 'em. they're so tough but it was a great feeling once they were killed and the city came under my control.
    nothing else exciting really happened except the shodan used some sort of forbidden magic, broke the alliance and then the elves wipped them out.
    i love this mod though its just what ive been looking for

Shadowlair's Avatar Civis

is it me, or does shodan get bummed by the elves alot XD playing as degos, the twice dammed and orcs are going strong, although the twice damned worse, playing as degos i have seen the fall of ritos, and marl, and galen being invaded by the *pretty op* orc hordes, valan is currently reduced to 1 city, wich i am helping defend with the crown prince, and the emporer safely guarding degos city himself, my..front line with a full stack of bronze circle wizards *got some lucky missions :p* and retaking lands, ethania is a superpower now, after giving them some villages above the valan, they quickly started destroying every TTD army they saw and quickly rampaged everything, the tulkans took most of the east including many parstan regions the parstan lost, and just took the easternmost centaur village, kedan is slowly regaining lost ground, and galan is losing alot of men to the orcs in numerous border conflict, and my great general maffik the conquerer took cold mountain with a great *by that time depleted* force of men, killing the vile gorgoth or whatever, and claiming the great TTD fortress from those 30 or so trolls :p and i myself hold most of ritainian and valan land together with ethania, although i do had a funny dwarf story, one stack was sitting the the middle of TTD country, doing nothing, and the TTD had many full banners surroudning him, but were to pansy to attack XD and if the dwarves attacked em they fled XD still think this campaign is kick-ass although the northern factios get buttkicked to fast, and alot of nations just dont get their armies up like TTD early ingame, so they cant even compete, and many dont retake the capitals when that mass cultist wave comes, maybe you should tweak their income, just suggestion, still, LUV this mod

All hail dragonborn total war!!

Rarty's Avatar Foederatus

Ok, i've started three campaigns as the Galan, Elves and the Bronze Circle(i know they're not playable, but i couldn't resist, its actually been bug free so far)

With the Galan and the Elves, everything seems normal, Twice damned are destroying everyone in the North, don't really know how i'm gonna stop those guys

But with Bronze Circle, something strange has happened, i've been turtling for about 30-40 turns, trying to build up this city so i can recruit more mages, and the Dwarves have become a powerhouse, they;ve taken most the norther cities, and pushed the TD back behind the mountains, its really nice to see the campaign is not so predictable all the time

All in all, one of the best mods i've played, ever, keep it up

oh, and also, its not on topic, but are the elven mages supposed to be weaker than circle mages? the only mages stronger than cicle, are the gnomes, the circles fireballs can destroy whole units in seconds, its mental

Shadowlair's Avatar Civis

must agree, bronze circle is mental, but i also like the elven mages, their more a one hit one kill force, real nice with the ogres and all, although i would like a few bronze circle when assaulting shodan though, those ancestor pikemen are mentalisitc, just..damn

All hail dragonborn total war!!

One other difference between the two types, Elves and Circle, is that the Elves are mounted. Also the Elven chariot version can destroy settlement walls, Circle can't do that. Gnomes are amongst the most powerful, but their numbers are much smaller. Cauldron Masters are the real number one's when it comes to magic, but hard to come by in campaign.

GrumpyBean's Avatar Ordinarius

I'm playing as Marl and so far the campaign has been epic. Also gratz on the 1.1 version being released . Anyways I'm almost 100 turns into the campaign with practically the western side of Akthross under my control. The infantry you start out with, like the Billmen, are pretty good but die like flies when going head-to-head with Orc Warriors with those huge axes. It was hard to keep them at bay but I held them well enough so I could get the upper tier troops like the Marlite Infantry who rock those sword staves . Then I started to slowly push them back out of my lands after they captured both of the castles in the north.

40 turns later I manged to wipe the Orc Tribes out completely. This is when I noticed I couldn't build anything in the Great Fens! besides the outpost and garrison quarters, I admit I was a little disappointed... for a little bit. Then it came to me that this is a cool little feature in Akthross because it makes it feel like the Great Fens, Mountains, and the Salt Flats are uninhabitable, adding to the realism.

So far I manged to conquer the Jagged Mountains, the weastern half of the Salt Flats, and of course all of the Great Fens and only expanded south a little ways. Galan, who is south of me, was outcasted and sided with the cutists 20 turns ago and have been repeatedly bombarded with the Gate Warden's armies and mine. They only have two settlements left with a full stack in each, mostly fanatics and urban militia.

Thank you again for this awesome mod! I'm enjoying it far more now with the cool update with the palace guards and all.
    Very funny and old tale of Mordor. The grass is always greener.
    Epic Tale of Thera, simply a masterpiece . Borissomeone's Tales of Thera.

Thanks GrumpyBean, I'm so pleased you are enjoying your campaign! I'm also glad you appreciate the outpost feature, this is it's first mention so I wasn't entirely sure people had picked up on it.

GrumpyBean's Avatar Ordinarius

Yeah its pretty neat imo. I also like how it takes a while for them to stop rioting, makes it feel like there are orc insurgents constantly attacking and causing trouble.
    Very funny and old tale of Mordor. The grass is always greener.
    Epic Tale of Thera, simply a masterpiece . Borissomeone's Tales of Thera.