Page 6 of 221 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Default Re: The Narthex - Introductions and Discussion

Wait... a place where I can share my writings, without having to dress them up as fanfiction? Count me in! I'm Iniquitus (and some of you might have known me under my old screen name The Third), and I hope to be able to throw in some short stories about the medieval period fairly soon.

Just one question: where do we post our stories? Do we make a thread for each one?

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    Totw was popular due to Mega's lovely spirit rather than people's drive to compete.
    A pertinent point, he was indeed the main driving force behind this competition. We can only hope he will return one of these days.

I always found TotW a bit pressurizing in a sense that you only had a week to complete your piece.
    From my humble experience a week should be more than enough to prepare any kind of submission (short story, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    A little bit of a good news: MAARC will go on vote tomorrow. We decided to ease the submission number requirement.
    Unfortunately I really don't see the point of reducing the number other than unintentionally nerfing one of TWC's main competitions in the long term. Like I said earlier, we should invite talented people over to this venue, at least this is how I first ended up competing (minus the talented part).
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; December 01, 2011 at 02:19 AM.

I was told here was the place to comment to nominate yourself for the MAARC.

My AAR is http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=492950
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    obviously a Jewish Honeywell operation ... using a time machine invented in 1940 to know all future Far Right stars so Female Mossad Agents would bear their children and taint them for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post
    Unfortunately I really don't see the point of reducing the number other than unintentionally nerfing one of TWC's main competitions in the long term. Like I said earlier, we should invite talented people over to this venue, at least this is how I first ended up competing (minus the talented part).
    Well, it will not be reduced to less than 5 in any case. It is a basic tradeoff. The consideration is that if we leave the MAARC open for multiple months without a vote, it may even be more detrimental, because it dampens writing spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimecraft View Post
    I was told here was the place to comment to nominate yourself for the MAARC.

My AAR is http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=492950
    Not exactly here, but I'll fix it for you. Nominations go in the thread where you first posted you request.

Quote Originally Posted by Iniquitus The Fourth View Post
    Wait... a place where I can share my writings, without having to dress them up as fanfiction? Count me in! I'm Iniquitus (and some of you might have known me under my old screen name The Third), and I hope to be able to throw in some short stories about the medieval period fairly soon.

Just one question: where do we post our stories? Do we make a thread for each one?
    You can post the stories here in the CW section in separate threads or take a look at this thread. Here you may get more feedback on individual stories (especially if you ask), but in the second way you may get more views.

And you could do both too.

Thanks! I'll try to gather up a few stories first and then submit them as a gallery, since that feels like the right thing to do.

I had a random idea just now. Along the same lines as ToTW, we could have a collaborative story type competition where in the first week a subject/opening paragraph/picture is posted, and writers each submit something of maybe 500-800 words in length; in then subsequent weeks the stories are judged as an adjoining part of the entire story? The idea is that many iterations later we end up with a (hopefully) coherent story consisting of the winning entries from each week?

This was the result of literally 2 minutes of thought, so it's preliminary at best, but I do think it could be interesting concept for a community project that brings together writers with different styles etc. Thoughts?
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I like it, a lot, though maybe cap the limit a little higher, say 500-1000 words. Though that is my opinion
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

It's a great idea, but it will need someone fairly dedicated to be the driving force behind it; organising, publicising and chivvying potential contributers into action.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Storm View Post
    I like it, a lot, though maybe cap the limit a little higher, say 500-1000 words. Though that is my opinion
    Thanks! The exactly mechanics of word limits, voting and choosing an opening topic (which will ideally be quite open) will have to be worked out I'm sure, but I do think if enough people are interested this could turn into something quite rewarding as the chapters build up.

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    It's a great idea, but it will need someone fairly dedicated to be the driving force behind it; organising, publicising and chivvying potential contributers into action.
    Thanks Mr. Editor. If there is more interest in this thread I'll probably PM some of the active AAR/ToTW writers to pique their interest and gather feedback etc. so there's at least an initial base of people who know of this. Being active writers you'd figure they're the most likely to participated too - that said I do want this to be an open competition for all, instead of some kind of coordinated publication. There's one of those already

Having said that if the thing gets off the ground I might ask to hijack space in the Quill to publicise/serialise it
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quick question:

Does an AAR have to posted in the Writers Study to be nominated in the MAARC, or is it okay if it is only posted in a mod subforum?

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    Quick question:

Does an AAR have to posted in the Writers Study to be nominated in the MAARC, or is it okay if it is only posted in a mod subforum?
    The only requirement is that the AAR is posted on TWC forums and that it has at least 2 updates in the month of the competition. Subforum or not doesn't matter feel free to enter your work!

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Thanks for the answer. It's not my work though. I've came across another user's AAR, and I'm trying to get him to submit it.

Mod subforum is fine, just make sure to provide a link.

EDIT: Ninja'd
    Last edited by Radzeer; January 06, 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Hi i am ASSASSIN1110 (you can call me ASSASSIN) and i have a great love for the napoleonic era...i love the Sharpe series and am planning to write a short book about post-climate change UK and an ensuing civil war. Stay tuned for it, i am finishing my planning stage, but have yet to think of a name...i would be grateful for any suggestions. ive been thinking of something along the lines of "Dust" (the UK is a cold, dry place due to the gulf stream stopping).
    Thats me
    .......... ..........
    PC Specs
    Intel Core i7 975 @3.33GHz (8 CPUs)
    12288MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
    Razer Anansi Keyboard
    Razer Mamba Mouse
    NZXT Tower
    Viewsonic VA2245a Monitor

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Hello,

I've been working on my first piece of historical fiction for a while now based in and around the 2nd Punic war. I don't have a favourite period of history as I seem to love them all equally.

I hope to be able to contribute a few good stories to those already posted here.

I am an amateur historian so there will be errors, but I hope they won't get in the way of a good narrative.

Take a look at my first story and let me know what you think.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Welcome to all you new guys I've noticed quite alot of talented writers in the Creative Writing section recently

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Welcome to all you new guys I've noticed quite alot of talented writers in the Creative Writing section recently
    Likewise, I log on to TWC to check 'subscribed threads' and end up reading several chapters of different stories - it's brilliant
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Do you guys think that we should start running BAARC again? Is there enough popular support (that is writers who would submit stuff) for this?

Tim1988's Avatar Vicarius

I'll submit into it if it goes up before the end of next week. Once Easter holidays are finished I can't promise I'll be able to find the time to do it.
    My Old AARs:
    Uniting a Kingdom - A M2TW:Kingdoms Britannia Campaign
    The Greatest Battles of General Sir Lionel Townshend - A DarthMod Empire Campaign
    Tales of an Old Soldier - A series of DMUC Battles
    My Image Gallery: