Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 46 96 121 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 2920

Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Scottish King's Avatar Content Director
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Quote Originally Posted by Encino_Man View Post
    Heh, soak it up while you still can. School sapped all of my creative juices and I haven't written or submitted anything for about 5 years now. (A combination of undergrad and grad school does that to ya )... Sadly, I have at least one other story I wrote and then posted up on here but I cannot find it (besides the two in my sig). Weird, but then again, I haven't been here in ages so I don't even know if I truly submitted the other work... though my memory tells me I did ... I believe it was called The Woman and the Bread Roll but none of my searches for threads I started nor the title come up with anything.

Anyhoo, good luck with school Hitai and Sanyu!! And don't let it push ya down!
    School can definitely do that to you. You try to find as much free time as you can here and there and make it count lol.

So how are you guys doing?
    The Third Coalition: Russian Campaign (On-going NTW AAR)
    The Song of Asnurn
    : An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR
    (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends (On-going CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar ひたいのそこなし
    Content Director

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Our yearly awards have just about concluded! We have one tiebreak vote which I'll do today, then we'll announce the winners next week!

Also don't forget to vote in the site yearly awards here!
    You should read my AAR. It has demons
    Under the patronage of Robin de Bodemloze

HunterKYA's Avatar Equites
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I believe, regardless of the outcome to the latest MCWC and WSYA, that it's time to quit writing at TWC.

Yes, I've had my doubts in the past, but now I think it's best to let go. For those who solely write short stories, it's hard to garner real recognition when competing against those who write both AARs and short stories, not just with updates and whatnot, but also monthly and yearly awards. And in the midst of this, it felt like it was a popularity contest, and the person who knew more people or wrote in a genre that everyone loved or both, would get the most votes and would be deemed, quote unquote, better. This isn't to discredit the effort they put into their works, but there are those who might put in the same amount of work, with the same skill level, who don't get recognition they might otherwise deserve.

When I started writing here, it was purely for fun, like I did years ago. Tales from a Past Life was merely an attempt to recapture that joy I used to feel, to recapture old memories, and it did fairly well for itself. Yet when I started Titanium Core, it was meant to be an original work and give me something fresh to work on. It did well in the beginning, pulling in a MCWC award, which one would think would have drawn more people to it, but as the weeks crept by, it eked along. Naturally, there's that correlation between views and comments, where the higher the former, the ladder rises with it. There was a point where no one, in spite of several updates, commented for nearly five months. If it were a thread by a reputable, popular writer, something like that wouldn't happen, because even if the writer were absent from the forum, their AARs/ stories would still have users leaving comments. For me though, however unintentional it may have been, it felt like I was being ignored.

It was during this time I began asking myself, "What am I doing this for?"

Only when I threatened to quit did Titanium Core get some recognition again. The fact that I needed to resort to that is sad. It's also left me pondering why any continuation, or other stories, should be attempted, when this whole experience has left me pessimistic as to whether any effort(s) would be in vain.

And in no way do I want to paint what I do in a better light than other writers in this community, that wasn't the intention of this, since I'm certain they've striven hard to make their works good. The point is, there's no joy in writing here anymore, that I discovered last year, and to get any considerable recognition, you have to climb mountains or write in categories that appeal to the majority. I've held onto these feelings for months, and in lieu of them, kept writing in the hopes that it would draw more people to critique my stories. Only now did I feel it was time to express these opinions, instead of keeping them bottled up.

I'm fully prepared to be banned for the comments I've made today, and for those, I express my apologies.
    Titanium Core - Updated 11 Feb 2015
    Tales from a Past Life - ON HOLD
    Poetry from Days Gone By - - Updated 1 Mar 2015
    HunterKYA's Den of Screens - Updated 2 Mar 2015

m_1512's Avatar Er.. Right... Herio!!!!
    Citizen Gaming Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wow, that is quite some bitterness in the post there. And I am not saying that it is not without reason. But I also think you are being a bit hard on yourself, not to mention that you do not seem to be very sure of some points. I have some pointers for you, though I am not saying that you have to agree to everything.

I'm fully prepared to be banned for the comments I've made today, and for those, I express my apologies.
    Wrong, you are not getting banned for this. You have broken no rules as far as I can see, you have just voiced your opinion with assertion. You are a valuable member of this community that would be sorely missed.

It was during this time I began asking myself, "What am I doing this for?"
    This is the first thing you should revisit. What was the point of your writing? Was it to gather recognition and enjoy appreciative comments? Or like me, is it because writing is a part of you and you write for your pleasure? Art is fun when you engage in it because you enjoy it, and not for any reason. If you enjoy it, you will deliver it with quality and people may be reading it. It is true that they may appreciate it by posts, and maybe not. But I don't see how that should discourage you from doing what you are doing for your personal fun.

Yes, I've had my doubts in the past, but now I think it's best to let go. For those who solely write short stories, it's hard to garner real recognition when competing against those who write both AARs and short stories, not just with updates and whatnot, but also monthly and yearly awards. And in the midst of this, it felt like it was a popularity contest, and the person who knew more people or wrote in a genre that everyone loved or both, would get the most votes and would be deemed, quote unquote, better. This isn't to discredit the effort they put into their works, but there are those who might put in the same amount of work, with the same skill level, who don't get recognition they might otherwise deserve.

When I started writing here, it was purely for fun, like I did years ago. Tales from a Past Life was merely an attempt to recapture that joy I used to feel, to recapture old memories, and it did fairly well for itself. Yet when I started Titanium Core, it was meant to be an original work and give me something fresh to work on. It did well in the beginning, pulling in a MCWC award, which one would think would have drawn more people to it, but as the weeks crept by, it eked along. Naturally, there's that correlation between views and comments, where the higher the former, the ladder rises with it. There was a point where no one, in spite of several updates, commented for nearly five months. If it were a thread by a reputable, popular writer, something like that wouldn't happen, because even if the writer were absent from the forum, their AARs/ stories would still have users leaving comments. For me though, however unintentional it may have been, it felt like I was being ignored.
    Yeah well, I am not renowned among writers as well. But should I let that discourage me from writing anymore? I think not. It takes time for people to recognize your writing, and your work to be considered a classic by people. Skantrios and Radzeer did not get popular overnight, they delivered writing consistently and soon it got recognized. Plus you do not consider the situation. Sometime ago, this section was a hot spot, with a lot of things happening. Right now, there seems to be less action here now and it is not much use to start digging into why. But here is one possible reason why the lesser thread views. The other could be that everyone has tastes and enjoy their genre of writing.

Now for the comments and views. I don't think you were ignored on purpose. You are not considering the point that many people may have busy hectic RL. The second is if you too reciprocate the appreciation and comments? It is a give and take equation, but it again comes down to the point I made above. Do you write for the comments or because it is something you like to do? For one, I get a comment or two, and it is not as much as others may get. So should I make a comment like this and quit? And as for the awards, of course, there is a popularity bit to it. It is the same in RL too, from elections to what not. If you take my advice, I would suggest you not to put too much store in this things. Just do what you enjoy doing and it will be appreciated, eventually.

And in no way do I want to paint what I do in a better light than other writers in this community, that wasn't the intention of this, since I'm certain they've striven hard to make their works good. The point is, there's no joy in writing here anymore, that I discovered last year, and to get any considerable recognition, you have to climb mountains or write in categories that appeal to the majority. I've held onto these feelings for months, and in lieu of them, kept writing in the hopes that it would draw more people to critique my stories. Only now did I feel it was time to express these opinions, instead of keeping them bottled up.
    It is good that you posted them, instead of keeping them bottled. Keeping them bottled would have been unhealthy. And as for what may come, it may be too early to despair. Things may improve again and you'll soon find the WS become a busy and bustling place again.
    The Critic's Quill ---|--- TWC News Team ---|--- The Writer's Study ---|--- Play-by-Post RPG

Under the patronage of Thoragoros.
    Proud Patron of wudang_clown, Karaman Beyi, Maximinus Thrax, carricanta, Mythre, Rarity, Panzerschreck, Ritter-Floh, General Retreat.

Merchant of Venice's Avatar Certified Merchant
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I'm sorry to hear you don't feel writing is fun, HunterKYA but I must concur with M. You have to ask yourself whether you write for pleasure or for recognition.

If you do it for pleasure then comments shouldn't be a major factor in not wanting to write. Of course a lack of comments can certainly discourage anyone and I'll admit it is saddening when you don't get many comments after working hard to write a chapter but you can't do it for comments and recognition or else you'll quickly lose interest and furthermore, the quality of your writing will diminish if you're not having fun writing.

And in the midst of this, it felt like it was a popularity contest, and the person who knew more people or wrote in a genre that everyone loved or both, would get the most votes and would be deemed, quote unquote, better. This isn't to discredit the effort they put into their works, but there are those who might put in the same amount of work, with the same skill level, who don't get recognition they might otherwise deserve.
    I must disagree with you on this, I feel the that popularity does sometimes play a role in competitions (as it does in all aspects of RL) but not the extent of which you're claiming. Often, newer stories can storm to victory on the MAARC or MCWC. And while General Retreat is not unknown, his CW piece is based in the world of Mount and Blade and recently, its been Sci-fi stories which have been extremely popular. Furthermore, second and third (still to be undecided) will be Titanium Core and Dreams of a Spammer. Dreams of a Spammer only started in January or February if I'm correct so it is quite new.

Also in the Yearly Awards I think that just because one story wins doesn't mean that the others don't get any recognition. And I think we had a pretty big range in stories nominated (across all categories). I don't think it was a popular contest either, of course it helps if people know you but it's your choice whether you comment on other people's stories or not. And as M said, Radzeer and Skantarios didn't get famous by doing nothing, they both wrote a lot of writing and contributed a hell of a lot to the community.

And I'm sorry to hear that you are losing interest in Titanium Core. (Yet again) As M said, the community is definitely smaller than it once was. The AAROTY two years ago got 43 voters, this year got 10. Even someone like me who I consider to be on and around a lot doesn't get time to read every story. I try to read a lot of them, but just like going to the movie or a reading novel, you're only going to pick the ones which interest you, be it because of the genre or writer or title.

But I'm glad that you voiced your opinions critique likes yours is the only way we can improve our little corner of TWC.
    CQ Writer | Way of the Bow (Updated 8/3) | Writer's Study Staff

HunterKYA's Avatar Equites
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by m_1512 View Post
    This is the first thing you should revisit. What was the point of your writing? Was it to gather recognition and enjoy appreciative comments? Or like me, is it because writing is a part of you and you write for your pleasure? Art is fun when you engage in it because you enjoy it, and not for any reason. If you enjoy it, you will deliver it with quality and people may be reading it. It is true that they may appreciate it by posts, and maybe not. But I don't see how that should discourage you from doing what you are doing for your personal fun.
    Writing for pleasure is something I've enjoyed doing, and still do. But I think what I meant, in place of recognition, was acknowledgement. I wouldn't dedicate 6-7 hours of free time for an update if it were for recognition. If it were the sole motivator, I wouldn't care to inlay any intricacies, humor, or action that goes into them, and it'd be as bland as an unwanted Hollywood reboot; nor would I spend time drawing inspiration from every conceivable source to develop characters and plotlines. What I believe I'm trying to say, more so in the place of recognition, I wanted to know that the time and effort being devoted to the work was being acknowledged, not being lauded over.

As far as re-evaluating the driving force behind my writing, I'll take time out to do that.

Now for the comments and views. I don't think you were ignored on purpose. You are not considering the point that many people may have busy hectic RL. The second is if you too reciprocate the appreciation and comments?
    I fully understand that people have lives beyond TWC, and took that into consideration. And I would reciprocate someone taking the time to comment in my thread, and posting in theirs, if not for two factors: 1) I'm a terribly slow reader, and 2) This ties in with the first reason, that I have trouble with my eyes that corrective lenses can't fix, and they strain after reading anything longer than a few minutes. Don't think of it as an excuse, more as legit reason why I try not to read any more than I need to, and that I don't mean any disrespect.
    Last edited by HunterKYA; March 02, 2015 at 10:29 AM.
    Titanium Core - Updated 11 Feb 2015
    Tales from a Past Life - ON HOLD
    Poetry from Days Gone By - - Updated 1 Mar 2015
    HunterKYA's Den of Screens - Updated 2 Mar 2015

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I think you make a fair point, it can be saddening when your works don't the recognition you think they deserve - and being honest with ourselves whilst yes we all write for fun, it is always nice to have people commenting to say they enjoy your story and the like, and not having any for an extended period of time I can imagine is sure to get you down and make you lose motivation, which is completely understandable. However, sadly, I think this is a wider issue in the CW section, which perhaps has affected you worse than others. Something we all as a community need to work on for sure!

On the other hand the issue of not getting comments and not winning competitions are separate I think, and are caused by different things.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Okay, I have a look through your thread, and honestly I think you are expecting too much from the CW section, not your fault, but you need to look at the norm. You have a reliable readership base in SK and MMFA who usually comment after each update and in reasonable time; 2 people regularly commenting often being the average. There were breaks in comments in between updates which is also the norm, but pretty soon after one you would get a couple of comments. Granted there as a bit of time from Nov - Jan when you had fewer comments, but you released 5 sizeable updates in the space of ~a month and a bit, 4 of them within a week of each other, which places a large expectations on readers to get through and can be quite daunting, maybe leading to putting them off. Maybe waiting for comments before releasing the next update, even if you have it written, could be a good idea (which also gives you updates to release from a backlog when you don't feel motivated!), or sticking to like a schedule of one update a week could help foster more interest.

After looking I do think this is an issue of expecting more than what the CW section can offer, which is a shame, but a truth, rather than people specifically not commenting on your story - if that is any consolation?

Tigellinus's Avatar Content Staff
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"Very long exasperated sigh"

Finally got back into Rome 2 over the weekend. Played as Carthage, started loving it. Conquered Iberia, Italy, and raging a war against Egypt. Also playing a co-op game with a friend of mine (he as Seleucids and me as Carthaginians.)

And now Rome dies on me.

Just doesn't move from the copyright screen (splash screen, I think its called?) Just sits there and then does a "Not responding."

Not the first time its happened to me, happened on my old computer. I tried the fixes, and they didn't work. Getting a new computer worked, and now its happened again.

Any ideas? Any fixes? Anyone else have this happened to them?

Really irritated that this happens only WHEN I'm starting to appreciate Rome 2. Not when I'm on the fence about it, but when I actually look forward to playing it.

Thanks

Tigellinus

m_1512's Avatar Er.. Right... Herio!!!!
    Citizen Gaming Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I think this is a tech issue, and may be resolved by verifying local cache. But it would be even better idea to make a thread in the CA forums about this issue. The QA team there is very proactive and helpful.
    The Critic's Quill ---|--- TWC News Team ---|--- The Writer's Study ---|--- Play-by-Post RPG

Under the patronage of Thoragoros.
    Proud Patron of wudang_clown, Karaman Beyi, Maximinus Thrax, carricanta, Mythre, Rarity, Panzerschreck, Ritter-Floh, General Retreat.

Tigellinus's Avatar Content Staff
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hey, um, I may be the only one asking this. I might also be the only one who doesn't know

But, what happened to the Yearly Awards? They were completed, I assume? But, haven't heard anything of them since.

Thanks

Tigellinus

Merchant of Venice's Avatar Certified Merchant
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hitai hid all the threads away where only the WS Staff can see them so I don't blame you for wondering where they went. He's soon going to put up the tiebreaker for the CWOTY and then will announce the winners.
    CQ Writer | Way of the Bow (Updated 8/3) | Writer's Study Staff

Content Director

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

My apologies, I've been super busy and I kind of forgot

Tiebreaker is up.

Lugotorix's Avatar Princeps Prior
    Content Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thanks for the tie-breaker Hitai. I've put up four updates for my Attila- Ostrogoths AAR. I'm debating whether to keep it going or wait until blood and gore is released for optimized screens, as was similarly the case with my last one.

Lortano's Avatar Princeps
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Waiting for blood and gore would probably be worth the wait (Cough cough, though it should have been included with the game for free, Cough cough)
    Sauron's Miseries: My tale of heroism, glory and of utter failures that ruin the Dark Lord's plans:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=542268
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Fail: A story of true friendship, a quest to destroy a dragon, and references all around! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=584031
    And see where it all began in: Three Jewels, One Valar. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=555203

My Youtube, where you can see my Let's Plays! http://www.youtube.com/user/LortanoTheDuke?feature=mhee

Anduril248's Avatar Aquilifer
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hey my brethern from WS i have reposed my historical fiction:: Of Blades and Bows and released Chapter 5: A New Direction
    Of Blades and Bows, CW PROJECT
    "The most incomprehenisble thing about the universe that it is comprehensible"-Albert Einestine

Content Director

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

It's finally Easter holidays! I can actually get some stuff done around here

How is everyone doing? Bit quiet as of late, hope everyone's well.

spam500's Avatar Munifex
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I still have another week left of college before easter unfortunately.

Content Director

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Obligatory 'go and read the new Critic's Quill' post

I'll post the Yearly Awards results today as well, I promise! Then I can sleep

Lugotorix's Avatar Princeps Prior
    Content Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Anticipating it! Finally got the cultural victory in Vanilla Attila, just in time for tomorrow's patch.