Thread: Adding town slots, and more

Default Adding town slots, and more

Is there any known way to add building slots for towns? Seeing that forts have been taken out of the game (not relevant for the era, I know.. but I like them!) I am looking at different ways of implementing them again. Is this at all possible?
    Looking around in the "data" file I found several references to all kinds of forts from E:TW, and I was thinking, there must be a way to "activate" them. I thought one way could be to add building slots to the towns, and thusly be able to build forts in all towns, not just region capitols.

Have anyone else tried putting in forts? Or had any thoughts on how to do it?

Default Re: Adding town slots, and more

sigh...

they're in the game. why don't you actually play it before trying to mod it. it would be easier to know which features are missing or not.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Take a look here, http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=390047 this might help you. And keep us up to date if it works.

they're in the game
    He meant forts for "towns" (i.e cultural centers, factories, etc., not for the region capitals).

Quote Originally Posted by cinco View Post
    sigh...

they're in the game. why don't you actually play it before trying to mod it. it would be easier to know which features are missing or not.
    Why don't you actually read my post before you slander it? As Sotericus noticed, I was talking about towns.

@Sotericus:
    I'll take a look at the link, thanks!

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

@ MiniSmith. You would definitely need to make changes in startpos.esf. In order to do it you need the latest ESF editor. Then look at the Activate emerged facilities in this thread http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...php?t=272139#r, I suppose. If not, you should try this : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368845. I've managed to add a 2nd level fort to Istanbul from the beginning as I needed a strong Ottoman faction for my mod. I would very much do the same for the intellectual centers at least. But I'm not sure it will work. It will be also ideal to have a militia spawning from towns and defend them .
    Last edited by Sotericus; April 15, 2011 at 08:48 AM.

You are very helpful indeed
    I will however not have time to start on this project now. Too much real work :p
    I'll see if I can get going in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your help!

By using Pack File Manager, you can change combination between slot types and building types almost freely.
    But there are some difficulties such that some type of building functions does not work in irregular slots.
    Adding complete new secound slot to towns, I do not know it possible or not.
    But even if possible, you will have to change ui layout e.t.c. other than datum for slots.
    To make field forts available for other buildings is possible in ETW.
    But when it have done, fort icon on the campaign map disappears.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Have a look at the easy ESF tool. It allows adding slots.

I have again started to look into the project of adding forts in N:TW, if for nothing else, just as a project.
    What I'm looking at is going back to what was possible in E:TW, the ability to construct forts anywhere on the map.
    I find that everything related to the forts themselves, such as models, build cost and times and junctions are still present in the pack files.
    I believe the UI files concerning the icons and buttons are also present there. However, I am not into programming, and editing this luac files seems a daunting task. More people than I will have noticed that the button reappeared, though innactive, in the peninsular campaign.

However, before I even start this task, I thought I should ask the more experienced modders a question:
    Is it possible that the ability (or rather inability) to construct forts in N:TW is written in the exe file?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Tricky question. Sme abilities are indeed there (like Pikewall), some are not (like column formation).
    CA did a quite messy jobe there, half hiding stuff. We can waste a lot of time trying to make something work because we think it can work as we have buttons, icons, etc. to discover at the end that it has no effect.